PDA

View Full Version : Oceania Senior 14-20 Nov 2021 Noosa, incorp Australian Senior Championship [Postponed

RalphJackson
05-04-2021, 06:32 PM
Save the dates 14-20 Nov!
Noosa Chess Club is delighted to announce the Oceania Senior Champs (age 50 plus) incorporating the Australian Senior Ch.
Playing 7 rounds over 7 days (hrs 1030-1530) so there'll be plenty of time to enjoy Noosa's beaches and attractions.
Aiming for 60 players. More details to come soon.
Expressions of interest welcome.

strangerep
05-04-2021, 07:01 PM
Playing 7 rounds over 7 days (1030-1530)
Ooh! Now that I like! Just one game per day. :D

I presume "(1030-1530)" denotes the playing hours, not the rating range? :P

I hope there's also a civilized time control, say 90+30? Can a game be adjourned to allow for a (light) gentlemanly lunch? ;)

MichaelBaron
05-04-2021, 08:42 PM
Ooh! Now that I like! Just one game per day. :D

I presume "(1030-1530)" denotes the playing hours, not the rating range? :P

I hope there's also a civilized time control, say 90+30? Can a game be adjourned to allow for a (light) gentlemanly lunch? ;)

Since its a seniors' event...may be should also allow a mid-game nap :).

StokesyRedcliff
05-04-2021, 09:35 PM
Looking forward to it immensely! Good luck with all the lead up work and the event itself Ralph and your Noosa Chess Club Inc committee! I love the one game a day 10:30am start, with 90 minutes each plus 30 seconds a move from move 1 time control!

ER
06-04-2021, 07:16 AM
Looking forward to it immensely! Good luck with all the lead up work and the event itself Ralph and your Noosa Chess Club Inc committee! I love the one game a day 10:30am start, with 90 minutes each plus 30 seconds a move from move 1 time control!

Ditto to what Stokesy says, only 10:30 AM 's a tad too for early me; then again a possible (*) 1:30 PM start cuts your day in two.
Talkin' Noosa, which I have visited twice I always wanted to have a go at those hills, from up the top the view must be magnificent.
(*) I am used to that at Caulfield Chess Artists (13:00 PM start) although that's still a bit too early - I want to enjoy my Sunday lunch!

Since its a seniors' event...may be should also allow a mid-game nap :D

If Telstra wake - up service is taken as outside assistance + illegal mobile phone use = cheating no way thanks! :D

strangerep
06-04-2021, 10:56 AM
Since its a seniors' event...may be should also allow a mid-game nap :).

Heh, if you get sleepy around noon-ish, maybe I'll actually be able to beat you in the endgame. :)

(And of course we must ensure that the <euphemism> is not too far from the playing hall. ;) )

Tony Dowden
06-04-2021, 11:53 AM

I'm also looking forward to it!

I trust the Qld Seniors/Veterans event will be therefore moved from Nov 13-14 to some other weekend. Is a fortnight earlier or later a possibility Mark?

Afitz
07-04-2021, 07:25 AM
I'm also looking forward to it!

I trust the Qld Seniors/Veterans event will be therefore moved from Nov 13-14 to some other weekend. Is a fortnight earlier or later a possibility Mark?

Queensland Seniors/Veterans will either be shifted or combined with this event. Due to be discussed at the next CAQ Council meeting.

KevinOR
07-04-2021, 08:09 AM
Sounds perfect - count me in! We should all have been vaccinated by then . . .

Kai
08-04-2021, 08:33 AM
Any soft titles available? :P

RalphJackson
08-04-2021, 05:19 PM
So what is a 'soft title'?

RalphJackson
08-04-2021, 05:20 PM
Thanks Kevin!

RalphJackson
08-04-2021, 05:20 PM
Thanks Tony!

Tony Dowden
08-04-2021, 09:04 PM
Queensland Seniors/Veterans will either be shifted or combined with this event. Due to be discussed at the next CAQ Council meeting.

Thanks for the heads up :)

RalphJackson
15-06-2021, 10:26 AM
Entry kits are ready. Please email to request: secretary.noosachess@gmail.com

Garrett
15-06-2021, 03:54 PM
Email sent.

My leave request was approved today.

Will probably play.

cheers Garrett.

StokesyRedcliff
23-06-2021, 12:03 PM
The CAQ has moved the 2021 Queensland Seniors to Saturday October 23 and Sunday October 24 at St Joseph's Catholic Primary School, Phillips Street, Bracken Ridge. It is now three weeks before the Oceania Seniors and a perfect warm up for it. See the CAQ Website under Coming Events for full entry details of the CAQ 2021 Queensland Seniors.

RalphJackson
14-08-2021, 12:23 PM
The event remains on course and we hope by mid-Nov all states and NZ can attend.
About 20 of 25 early entrants have re-affirmed they'll play unless prevented by restrictions.
As well as the 7-day OSCC event, we plan a 2-day open rapid, 1-day open blitz, 3-day all-ages Noosa Novice, and Saturday junior tournament - along with game commentary at the venue and exhibitions around the Noosa region.
Altogether, it will be the 'Noosa Chess Festival'.
With early entries, sponsorships and grants, we're approaching 20K in funds to make it all happen.
Please keep entering, payments can be delayed.
At 1st Oct we will review the covid situation again.
Full refunds are offered for any withdrawals.

RalphJackson
14-08-2021, 12:27 PM
Hi Garett, Hope you can play. Could you resend your email pls? Cheers, Ralph

ER
14-08-2021, 05:24 PM
Thanks prez, good move and quite tempting!

The CAQ has moved the 2021 Queensland Seniors to Saturday October 23 and Sunday October 24 at St Joseph's Catholic Primary School, Phillips Street, Bracken Ridge. It is now three weeks before the Oceania Seniors and a perfect warm up for it.

I like Bracken Ridge, was once tempted to buy property there!

Positive points.

Close to Sandgate (small part beach) and other parks and beaches!

Close to the airport

Negative:

Tad far from Brissy, it's been now more than three years since I had (chess or no chess) holidays in Brisbane!

Of course it all depends on govt covid-19 restrictions.

ER
14-08-2021, 05:37 PM
The event remains on course and we hope by mid-Nov all states and NZ can attend.

Thanks for the update Ralph, I very much hope so too!

About 20 of 25 early entrants have re-affirmed they'll play unless prevented by restrictions.

Fingers crossed!

As well as the 7-day OSCC event, we plan a 2-day open rapid, 1-day open blitz, 3-day all-ages Noosa Novice, and Saturday junior tournament - along with game commentary at the venue and exhibitions around the Noosa region.
Altogether, it will be the 'Noosa Chess Festival'.

I hope accom will be flexible to cater for extensions of stay

With early entries, sponsorships and grants, we're approaching 20K in funds to make it all happen.

Good response!

1st Oct we will review the covid situation again.

Looking forward to it!

Full refunds are offered for any withdrawals.

Last thing of my mind! keep up the good work Ralph!

Keong Ang
21-09-2021, 09:54 PM
Received this notification.

Dear entrants and interested friends,

With the present covid travel restrictions likely to extend into November and beyond, preventing Victoria, NSW, ACT, NZ, Fiji etc from entering Queensland, Noosa Chess Club has made the decision to postpone the Oceania Seniors Chess Championship by 12 months to November 2022, precise dates and venue to be confirmed.

We appreciate the support of players who entered for 2021 and hope you can plan to play in Noosa in late 2022, when the trickiest complications will be on the boards, not the borders.

If you have paid already, please advise your bank account details so we can refund your entry.

Warm regards,

Peter Cam (President) and Ralph Jackson (Secretary)

ER
22-09-2021, 12:36 AM
Ralph Jackson<secretary.noosachess@gmail.com> Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 9:03 PM
Bcc: elliott.renzies@(...).com

With the present covid travel restrictions likely to extend into November and beyond, preventing Victoria, NSW, ACT, NZ, Fiji etc from entering Queensland, Noosa Chess Club has made the decision to postpone the Oceania Seniors Chess Championship by 12 months to November 2022, precise dates and venue to be confirmed.

That's sad but somewhat expected news! I was half optimistically looking forward to that as part of an extended chess holiday to Noosa and various destinations in S.E. Asia followed by a US major trip.
It wasn't to be! On the other hand since it's only a postponement and not a cancelation I look forward to seeing you guys next year, covid-19 permitting of course.

We appreciate the support of players who entered for 2021 and hope you can plan to play in Noosa in late 2022, when the trickiest complications will be on the boards, not the borders.

Witty and encouraging!

If you have paid already, please advise your bank account details so we can refund your entry.

No need for a refund if money already sent can be used as part entry fee e.t.c. payment for next year's event!

Cheers and good luck!

E.R.

Tony Dowden
22-09-2021, 07:20 PM
Disappointing but hardly unexpected. I'm already looking forward to next year's event. Many thanks to Ralph, Peter and other Noosa Chess Club members for all their efforts to date.

HaringBastos
09-10-2021, 01:27 PM
Hey Guys any news about this coming Oceania Seniors ??? Looks like still pospone,still no updates...

Garvinator
09-10-2021, 02:49 PM
Hey Guys any news about this coming Oceania Seniors ??? Looks like still pospone,still no updates...

With an announced 12 month postponement, I am not sure exactly what extra information you could reasonably expect from the organisers.

Interstate and International borders are still closed and when they will be open to all Oceania Federations is uncertain.

Therefore, how can the organisers make any firm decisions at this stage when the situation with borders is changing so often?