PDA

View Full Version : Redcliffe Tal Memorial Tournament

blackbishop
27-03-2021, 10:45 AM
Just another Redcliffe club tournament, part of a fulsome calendar managed by Mark Stokes, Tom Maguire and Kerry Corker, but interesting in the number of very strong juniors of primary school age and older.

After four rounds, Kingston and Lachlan Wang, Jeeva Praveen and Austin Hamilton are just behind the leader, Tom Maguire. The ACF rating system does not seem to be able to keep up with the rapid improvement in the junior players.

Attached is a game from round 4, when Lachlan Wang demonstrates that his ACF rating of 1291 does not describe reality.

blackbishop
29-03-2021, 11:02 AM
Redcliffe Chess Club will be closed on Wednesday the 31st of March due to the Corona Virus Lockdown

blackbishop
30-03-2021, 07:07 PM
A replacement lockdown tournament has been organized by Tom Maguire.
Details in the attached file.

blackbishop
10-04-2021, 04:33 PM
Lachlan Wang managed a draw against Tom Maguire in round 5 of the Tal Memorial. Kingston Wang won against another strong junior in Jeeva Praveen who recently produced a very respectable score in the Tasmanian Championships. The two games are available on the City of Redcliffe Chess Club web site.

https://redcliffechessclub.com.au/news/

The final round is this Wednesday with Tom Maguire a half point ahead of the field.

blackbishop
12-04-2021, 12:40 PM
Three critical positions analysed with the benefit of hindsight and Stockfish 12 in games from rounds five and four of the Tal Memorial.

blackbishop
20-04-2021, 03:15 PM
Going into the sixth and final round of the Tal Memorial tournament at the City of Redcliffe Chess Club, the Wang brothers were both on four points while Tom Maguire was on 4.5. In the final round, Tom defeated Kingston Wang while Lachlan Wang defeated Don Hamilton. The tournament was a breakthrough for the younger set, with Lachlan winning four of his six games and drawing with Tom and Aiden Brady. The full results should be published on the City of Redcliffe web site soon.

Below is a position from the sixth round game Owen Shen V Mark C Stokes. Owen is another of our under rated primary school age players. Mark did not find the saving move for Black. Can you?

Patrick Byrom
20-04-2021, 07:35 PM
... Below is a position from the sixth round game Owen Shen V Mark C Stokes. Owen is another of our under rated primary school age players. Mark did not find the saving move for Black. Can you? ... I think you mean "winning move", not "saving move". After failing to understand why the 'obvious move' gxf4 didn't work, I checked with Stockfish and it found at least two winning moves, and two other moves that weren't actually losing. Even my poor choice should hold. However the clearly best move, which is obviously the intended answer, is quite spectacular!

blackbishop
21-04-2021, 06:32 AM
I think you mean "winning move", not "saving move".

Too true. I was so taken with the spectacular that I failed to consider the more mundane but less decisive. Perhaps "best move" was best. Mark actually played gxf4 and lost after Rxe6.

Patrick Byrom
21-04-2021, 12:26 PM
Too true. I was so taken with the spectacular that I failed to consider the more mundane but less decisive. Perhaps "best move" was best. Mark actually played gxf4 and lost after Rxe6.I'd overlooked that as well, but ... Bd4 (not an obvious move!) may hold.