PDA

View Full Version : MCC Alex Kaplan Memorial Blitz (Easter Monday - 5 April)

Thai Ly
22-03-2021, 04:23 AM
Alex Kaplan Memorial Blitz
(Easter Monday 5 April 2021)

MCC was saddened to hear of the passing in 2020 of Alex Kaplan - a long time MCC member, past Committee member, and fixture in MCC's Monday night tournaments.

In his memory, MCC has decided to hold a Blitz tournament on the evening of 5 April 2021 - Easter Monday.

Where
Melbourne Chess Cub
66 Leicester Street, Fitzroy, VIC

When
Monday 5 April 2021 (Easter Monday)
Entries Close: 2:00 pm
Tournament Start: 2:15 pm

Format
13 Round Swiss Tournament
Entry is open to all players (Members and non-Member).

Byes
Players may take up to 2 half point byes during rounds 1-11

Time Control
3 minutes + 2 seconds per move.

Pairings and Ratings
The tournament will be Tornelo rated only.
Pairings will be done on the basis of Tornelo ratings
Any player who does not have a current Tornelo rating will have a Tornelo profile generated based on the current FIDE or ACF rating.

Entry Fee
$12 Full Member, $10 Concession / Junior Member. (Add $10 for non Members)
Club Member GMs, IMs and FMs free. GMs and IMs not resident in Victoria free.

Prizes
First prize of $150 and 2 rating prizes of $50 are guaranteed.
Further prizes may be determined depending on numbers of entrants.

Tournament Organiser
Thai Ly (0421 912 296 or melbchessclub@gmail.com)

Arbiter
To be confirmed

Further Questions
melbchessclub@gmail.com

Registration of entry can be done by Registering on Tornelo at

https://tornelo.com/chess/orgs/melbourne-chess-club/events/mcc-alex-kaplan-memorial

or by contacting the Tournament Organiser or by entering in person at MCC prior to the scheduled close of entries.

Please note that MCC's current limit on total players will apply in accordance with its current COVID protocols.

Michael. I
22-03-2021, 06:14 AM
This clashes with Doeberl Cup, as I noted in the City of Melbourne Open thread, as the latter tournament is the one I thought would clash with this one.

MichaelBaron
22-03-2021, 10:51 AM
I will see if I can make it.

Michael. I
22-03-2021, 02:36 PM
I will see if I can make it.
Fair enough, as you can take a plane without shortening your game to do that :). However, since it's a blitz night, why not have the memorial take place instead of the normal blitz night (but at the same time) like we did with the Richard Voon memorial?

MichaelBaron
28-03-2021, 10:01 AM
Note that the starting time is NOT 7pm as stated in the thread starter but at 2pm!!!!!! Would be great to have it edited!

Michael. I
28-03-2021, 10:33 AM
Note that the starting time is NOT 7pm as stated in the thread starter but at 2pm!!!!!! Would be great to have it edited!

That's correct :), only I don't know why they can't have the tournament at 7pm if there are already many Monday nights of the year when MCC holds a round of one of its longplay tournaments. (obviously it doesn't see them as issues with players having to go to work the next day.)

Thai Ly
28-03-2021, 04:29 PM

Correct - due to popular feedback, MCC has decided to change the official time for the start of Alex Kaplan Memorial Blitz as follows:

When

This is similar to the starting times which occur for MCC's Saturday Allegros.

As for editing the opening post of this thread, I cannot do that without assistance from the Mods.

I (and, I am sure, prospective players) would much appreciate if a mod could change the opening post to reflect the new starting time.

Bill Gletsos
28-03-2021, 04:41 PM
As for editing the opening post of this thread, I cannot do that without assistance from the Mods.

I (and, I am sure, prospective players) would much appreciate if a mod could change the opening post to reflect the new starting time.Done.

Thai Ly
28-03-2021, 04:42 PM
Done.

Thanks Bill.

If it's not too much bother, it the thread title could also delete the word "evening", that would also be appreciated.

Michael. I
28-03-2021, 04:56 PM
"This is similar to the starting times which occur for MCC's Saturday Allegros."
So when does this finish? I assume it takes as many hours as would the MCC (Fastplay) Championships and Grand Final Eve blitz tournaments, which is maybe 5 hours? :)

HAHAHAHA
29-03-2021, 10:24 PM
"This is similar to the starting times which occur for MCC's Saturday Allegros."
So when does this finish? I assume it takes as many hours as would the MCC (Fastplay) Championships and Grand Final Eve blitz tournaments, which is maybe 5 hours? :)

Its 13 rounds of blitz, so <10 minutes a round. So should be finished before 5PM with very high confidence.

HAHAHAHA
29-03-2021, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=Thai Ly;478772]Correct - due to popular feedback, MCC has decided to change the official time for the start of Alex Kaplan Memorial Blitz as follows:

When

I assume chess-players going away for the long weekend are Doeberl players? In other words chess players who are going away for a non-chess long weekend and back late Monday afternoon and would play is a null set?

Michael. I
30-03-2021, 07:32 AM
Its 13 rounds of blitz, so <10 minutes a round. So should be finished before 5PM with very high confidence.

Thanks :), but someone else said that there's 20min to a round at this year's MCC Blitz Championships.

Andy009
30-03-2021, 08:23 AM
That gives chess players sometime to socialize Michael. This is not online chess to move quickly from one game to another. This is a chess club with focus on social interaction too. I am glad that MCC creates such tournaments in the memory of chess players.

MichaelBaron
30-03-2021, 10:20 AM
That gives chess players sometime to socialize Michael.

Hmm...imagining chess players socializing :).

Bill Gletsos
30-03-2021, 02:31 PM
Thanks Bill.

If it's not too much bother, it the thread title could also delete the word "evening", that would also be appreciated.That's also been done.

MichaelBaron
04-04-2021, 09:27 PM
A reminder for all that starting time is 2pm~!

Michael. I
04-04-2021, 10:00 PM
A reminder for all that starting time is 2pm~!

MichaelBaron
05-04-2021, 08:44 PM
https://tornelo.com/chess/orgs/melbourne-chess-club/events/mcc-alex-kaplan-memorial/divisions/default/standings
Today's results! Was a fantastic event with the field including 2 IMs as well as some other players that have been playing with Alex for years.

MichaelBaron
05-04-2021, 08:46 PM
https://tornelo.com/chess/orgs/melbourne-chess-club/events/mcc-alex-kaplan-memorial/divisions/default/standings
Today's results! Was a fantastic event with the field including 2 IMs as well as some other players that have been playing with Alex for years.

6 yo Reyansh finished 6th equal! ahead of many strong players.

Michael. I
05-04-2021, 09:19 PM

Also, you quite literally blitzed through the blitz tournament* and the speech after they gave you $AUD150 for doing so :D. I'm proud of my performance, too :).
*In the style of the long gone Fitzroy Skittles, only dropping 0.5pts :clap:

Thai Ly
06-04-2021, 12:00 AM
Congrats to all the prize winners, particularly FM Michael Baron who won with 12.5 points from 13 games!

Open
1st - Michael Baron (12.5)
2nd - Alex Khamatgaleev (11)
3rd - Ray Yang (10)

Rating Group 1 (<1800)
=1st - Leonard Goodison, Rheyansh Annapureddy (8)

Rating Group 2 (<1400)
=1st - Dhru Annapureddy, Justin Goodison, Rajendran Ishan Venkat (6)

Metro
06-04-2021, 05:44 AM
Also, you quite literally blitzed through the blitz tournament* and the speech after they gave you $AUD150 for doing so :D. I'm proud of my performance, too :).
*In the style of the long gone Fitzroy Skittles, only dropping 0.5pts :clap:
Outstanding Michael :clap:

Andy009
06-04-2021, 12:33 PM
Well organised blitz by MCC in memory of Alex.

The youngsters who dominated the rating groups were on fire and caused a few upsets along the way.

Talent pool is growing further!