PDA

View Full Version : World Chess Championships, Dubai, 24 November - 16 December 2021

Scott Colliver
29-01-2021, 01:03 PM
The next world championships between Carlsen and the winner of the candidates will occur between 24th November and 16 December as part of the Dubai 2020 Expo.

MichaelBaron
29-01-2021, 06:21 PM
The next world championships between Carlsen and the winner of the candidates will occur between 24th November and 16 December as part of the Dubai 2020 Expo.

But first, the candidates tournament has to be completed :).

ER
29-01-2021, 06:28 PM
But first, the candidates tournament has to be completed :).

Organised by the International Chess Federation (FIDE), the postponed 2020 championship will take place between 24 November and 16 December 2021,
and will see the reigning world champion, Magnus Carlsen of Norway, defend his title against the winner of the delayed Candidates Tournament, which
is due to conclude in Ekaterinburg, Russia, in April. The two players will compete for a prize fund of EUR 2 million (AED 9 million).

My emphasis.

Link here: https://www.fide.com/

Desmond
29-01-2021, 08:07 PM
I hope it does go ahead, but I'm sceptical too with possible covid delays and whatnot.

Also it's pretty ridiculous to have the second half of the candidates played a year after the first half. You're not exactly finding the candidate with the best form in 2021 anymore.

MichaelBaron
29-01-2021, 08:14 PM
I hope it does go ahead, but I'm sceptical too with possible covid delays and whatnot.

Also it's pretty ridiculous to have the second half of the candidates played a year after the first half. You're not exactly finding the candidate with the best form in 2021 anymore.

It is indeed pretty ridiculous...but this won't stop Fide...

Ian Rout
30-01-2021, 11:35 AM
It is indeed pretty ridiculous...but this won't stop Fide...No approach is entirely satisfactory. If they cancel the games played and start again it isn't fair to those who had scored more points. If they declare the current leader the winner it denies others the chance to catch up.

You could maybe say that the process is irretrievably tainted and just cancel the cycle, but it isn't clear when the next one could start, much less finish.

Every sport has had to make compromises. On balance it sounds like the least worst approach, unless someone has a better idea.

Garvinator
30-01-2021, 02:44 PM
No approach is entirely satisfactory. If they cancel the games played and start again it isn't fair to those who had scored more points. If they declare the current leader the winner it denies others the chance to catch up.

You could maybe say that the process is irretrievably tainted and just cancel the cycle, but it isn't clear when the next one could start, much less finish.

Every sport has had to make compromises. On balance it sounds like the least worst approach, unless someone has a better idea.

All scenarios are not ideal, but we are still in the current cycle, so the second half of the current Candidates Tournament is the one that must be finished. It is not unusual to have an event start in one location and finish in another, or other such scenarios. Yes, a years break between the first half and the second half is unusual, but all other scenarios are worse.

There is also what I would call a simple matter of logistics. Attempting to organise a completely new event would require another 14 round event, with rest days. With the ever changing situation with border restrictions, attempting to get through another period of a month or so would be increasing the risk of another called off event.

Having the players come back, play the seven rounds with one or two rest days and it is over in about ten days is the lowest risk option.

It is not possible to be able to tell for the foreseeable future when a new Candidates Tournament could be run when Corona Virus is not an issue. If the event was able to reach that point and a new event was run, then Radjabov would have an excellent case to be included as he withdrew due to Corona Virus. If a new Candidates Tournament is run after Corona Virus is no longer a genuine concern, then what happens with Radjabov?

Therefore, the best option is to restart the event asap.

I do think Fide should really start considering other locations other than Ekaterinburg, as other locations have a better handle on Corona Virus and so the event could be completed in an earlier time frame than hoping that the situation in Russia improves.

Desmond
30-01-2021, 04:26 PM
It is not possible to be able to tell for the foreseeable future when a new Candidates Tournament could be run when Corona Virus is not an issue. If the event was able to reach that point and a new event was run, then Radjabov would have an excellent case to be included as he withdrew due to Corona Virus. If a new Candidates Tournament is run after Corona Virus is no longer a genuine concern, then what happens with Radjabov?
Yes this is what I keep coming back to as well; what about Radjabov?

Clearly Radjabov was completely correct and the event should not have started when it did. It was basically the only elite sporting event on in the world, period. The fact that the tournament couldn't be completed vindicates him, and he should be included.

I mean the only thing to really do is to have a 9-way starting from scratch.

Scott Colliver
30-01-2021, 05:10 PM
Yes this is what I keep coming back to as well; what about Radjabov?

Clearly Radjabov was completely correct and the event should not have started when it did. It was basically the only elite sporting event on in the world, period. The fact that the tournament couldn't be completed vindicates him, and he should be included.

I mean the only thing to really do is to have a 9-way starting from scratch.

Would Radjabov even agree to play given Covid is still rampant?