PDA

View Full Version : FIDE 2018 rules re devices, as enforced by CAQ/ACF?

strangerep
25-01-2021, 12:47 PM
In the FIDE 2018 rules, under Article 11:

During a game, a player is forbidden to have any electronic device not specifically approved by the arbiter in the playing venue.

However, the regulations of an event may allow such devices to be stored in a playerís bag, provided the device is completely switched off. This bag must be placed as agreed with the arbiter. Both players are forbidden to use this bag without permission of the arbiter.

If it is evident that a player has such a device on their person in the playing venue, the player shall lose the game. The opponent shall win. The regulations of an event may specify a different, less severe, penalty.

What arrangements are typically made for secure storage of "a player's bag", which presumably might contain the player's smartphone and maybe a laptop or other valuable item(s)? I presume a smartphone is not permitted to be on a player at all during a game, even if totally switched off? What if a player does not have a "bag"?

The arbiter may require the player to allow his clothes, bags, other items or body to be inspected, in private. The arbiter or person authorised by the arbiter shall inspect the player, and shall be of the same gender as the player. If a player refuses to cooperate with these obligations, the arbiter shall take measures in accordance with Article 12.9.
Does such strip-searching ever occur in practice in Australian chess tournaments??

MichaelBaron
25-01-2021, 12:52 PM
In the FIDE 2018 rules, under Article 11:

What arrangements are typically made for secure storage of "a player's bag", which presumably might contain the player's smartphone and maybe a laptop or other valuable item(s)? I presume a smartphone is not permitted to be on a player at all during a game, even if totally switched off? What if a player does not have a "bag"?

Does such strip-searching ever occur in practice in Australian chess tournaments??

Have not noticed any ''strip-searching'' at MCC (possibly because my body is not good enough for someone to initiate the strip search :)). At MCC, valuable items can be locked up in the office. As far as I know, other clubs that have lockable office areas are offering likewise.

Kevin Bonham
25-01-2021, 01:02 PM

Usually instead of having regulations allowing players to store phones in their bags, Australian organisers of major events will have a table where players can hand over mobile phones for storage. I am not sure what CAQ events do regarding this.

I'm not aware of it ever having happened in Australia.

Garvinator
25-01-2021, 04:31 PM
I'm not aware of it ever having happened in Australia.
I have not seen any reports of this occurring anywhere in the world. Yes, searches of clothing etc have occurred, but this is a very far short of a strip search. Metal body scanners are mainly used as the first search item of choice.

Kevin Bonham
25-01-2021, 10:36 PM
I have not seen any reports of this occurring anywhere in the world. Yes, searches of clothing etc have occurred, but this is a very far short of a strip search. Metal body scanners are mainly used as the first search item of choice.

Yes, I'm also aware of players being required to remove some clothing but not of anyone ever being required to disrobe completely. One Bulgarian player who was later banned was at one stage required to remove his shirt.