PDA

View Full Version : Which Chess Rules are applicable for Qld/Australia tournaments?

strangerep
24-01-2021, 05:12 PM
It's been 40+ yrs since I played a serious tournament game (e.g., I've never played a game under Fischer timing). So I figure I should review the modern rules for chess play and tournament conduct that are currently applicable in CAQ and ACF tournaments. From a bit of Googling, I gather there are some subtle differences between administrations (e.g., USCF vs FIDE) regarding illegal moves, touch-piece, and so on?

Also, about the rule that "thou shalt press the clock with same hand that moved the piece",... is that just for rapid/blitz/bullet, or does it apply to classical format as well?

And what happens if a player walks away from the board (e.g., to visit the loo) when it's still their move? With the ubiquity of smartphones, how does one combat cheating in such circumstances?

I've also known a couple of people who thought it funny, when they've clearly lost the game, to not resign honorably, but simply walk away and let their clock expire -- forcing the other player to sit there for (possibly) a long time and wait for flag-fall. Is there any way to combat such dishonourable "game abandonment" behaviour?

Patrick Byrom
24-01-2021, 06:34 PM
It's been 40+ yrs since I played a serious tournament game (e.g., I've never played a game under Fischer timing). So I figure I should review the modern rules for chess play and tournament conduct that are currently applicable in CAQ and ACF tournaments. From a bit of Googling, I gather there are some subtle differences between administrations (e.g., USCF vs FIDE) regarding illegal moves, touch-piece, and so on?

Also, about the rule that "thou shalt press the clock with same hand that moved the piece",... is that just for rapid/blitz/bullet, or does it apply to classical format as well?

And what happens if a player walks away from the board (e.g., to visit the loo) when it's still their move? With the ubiquity of smartphones, how does one combat cheating in such circumstances?

I've also known a couple of people who thought it funny, when they've clearly lost the game, to not resign honorably, but simply walk away and let their clock expire -- forcing the other player to sit there for (possibly) a long time and wait for flag-fall. Is there any way to combat such dishonourable "game abandonment" behaviour?Qld (and Australia) follow the FIDE Laws of Chess, which you can find here (https://handbook.fide.com/chapter/E012018).

Law 6.2.3 applies to all forms of chess: "A player must press his clock with the same hand with which he made his move. It is forbidden for a player to keep his finger on the clock or to ‘hover’ over it."

Law 11.2 covers toilet visits:

11.2.2 The playing area is defined as the place where the games of a competition are played.
11.2.3 Only with the permission of the arbiter can: ...
11.2.3.2 the player having the move be allowed to leave the playing area.

As for cheating (extremely rare in Qld) and 'game abandonment' (probably more common than cheating) you should read the discussions on the "Arbiter's Corner" forum (http://www.chesschat.org/forumdisplay.php?57-Arbiters-Corner), and ask any further questions there.

strangerep
25-01-2021, 12:24 PM
Qld (and Australia) follow the FIDE Laws of Chess, which you can find here (https://handbook.fide.com/chapter/E012018).
Thank you.