PDA

View Full Version : FIDE Online Chess regulations approved

Kevin Bonham
04-01-2021, 10:27 PM
https://mcusercontent.com/6d944e993248d15fc2b046696/files/8e8ca543-92f5-42ab-b9d6-73dda66bf0bc/Annex_6.4_Fide_Online_Chess_Regulations.pdf

includes regulations for Hybrid events.

Ian Rout
05-01-2021, 08:12 AM
I can see some fun and games (other than games of chess) when they start trying to apply those cheating provisions.

Desmond
05-01-2021, 09:26 AM
I think the auto-draw feature is a little interesting.

5.4 The game is automatically drawn when:
5.4.1 the same position appeared for the third time (as described in Article 9.2.2 of the FIDE Laws of Chess);
5.4.2 the player to move has no legal move and his/her king is not in check. The game is said to end in
‘stalemate’;
5.4.3 a position has arisen in which neither player can checkmate the opponent’s king with any series of
legal moves;
5.4.4 the last 50 moves by each player have been completed without the movement of any pawn and without
any capture.

Particularly in points 1 and 4, some sites I believe you have to click a draw button to claim the draw. Others it just happens automatically.

MichaelBaron
05-01-2021, 10:56 AM
16.5 is quite interesting...

MichaelBaron
05-01-2021, 10:58 AM
I think the auto-draw feature is a little interesting.

Particularly in points 1 and 4, some sites I believe you have to click a draw button to claim the draw. Others it just happens automatically.

Also, I could not see ''pre-move'' mentioned anywhere. RE draws, you are not supposed to offer draw twice in a row in OTB chess, so with ''Hybrid'' - I trust same rule applies?

Desmond
05-01-2021, 11:22 AM
Also, I could not see ''pre-move'' mentioned anywhere. RE draws, you are not supposed to offer draw twice in a row in OTB chess, so with ''Hybrid'' - I trust same rule applies?

3.6 The following additional options may be activated and used by the player:
a) Smart move: the player may play his/her move by selecting a single square when a unique
move can be done involving that square.
b) Pre-move: the player enters his/her move before his/her opponent made his/her own move.
The move is automatically executed on the board as an immediate response to the opponent’s move.
c) Auto promotion to Queen: the player may set up the playing zone to force the promotion to
a queen without being offered to choose the promoted piece.

James Peirce
05-01-2021, 07:51 PM
9.8.2 looks a bit odd, a player having a forbidden device in the player zone potentially having a less severe penalty than losing seems unusual

James Peirce
05-01-2021, 07:55 PM
I can see some fun and games (other than games of chess) when they start trying to apply those cheating provisions.

Especially if 14.2 re player eye movement is considered evidence

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2021, 08:40 PM
9.8.2 looks a bit odd, a player having a forbidden device in the player zone potentially having a less severe penalty than losing seems unusual

This is the same as in the FIDE Laws and was put in for organisers who felt that defaulting a player for having a mobile phone on them was too harsh.

James Peirce
06-01-2021, 08:12 AM
This is the same as in the FIDE Laws and was put in for organisers who felt that defaulting a player for having a mobile phone on them was too harsh.

I must have misremembered, I thought that rule/option only applied to ringing mobile phone defaults :)

Kevin Bonham
06-01-2021, 08:50 AM
I must have misremembered, I thought that rule/option only applied to ringing mobile phone defaults :)

It applies in the standard Laws to "any electronic device not specifically approved by the arbiter in the playing venue."

I see that the Online rules have this:

9.8.1 During a game, a player is forbidden from having in the playing venue any electronic device which is
not specifically approved by the arbiter. However, the regulations of an event may allow such devices to
be stored very near to the playing area only as a help to provide backup internet.

This means the regulations of the event may allow devices not specifically approved by the arbiter to be stored very near to the playing area for backup internet purposes. It would be interesting to know why this exemption exists.

MichaelBaron
06-01-2021, 01:06 PM
Especially if 14.2 re player eye movement is considered evidence

What if I am meditating during the game? And what if I want to stand up from the board to stretch? and what if someone needs to go to the restroom? :)

Pierre Dénommée
07-01-2021, 02:27 PM

5.4 The game is automatically drawn when:5.4.1the same position appeared for the third time (as described in Article 9.2.2 of the FIDE Laws of Chess)

15.3 If a game is not drawn automatically when one of the situations described in Article 5.4(automatically drawn situations) has occurred, the arbiter will declare the game draw

If you must press a button to claim, the server is non-compliant.

Andrew Hardegen
07-01-2021, 06:21 PM
If you must press a button to claim, the server is non-compliant.

Wherever possible, these Regulations are intended to be identical to the FIDE Laws of Chess and
related FIDE competition regulations. They are intended for use by players and arbiters in official
FIDE online competitions, and as a technical specification for online chess platforms hosting these
competitions.

As pointed out by Desmond and others, 5.4.1 and 5.4.4 in the FIDE Online Chess Regulations are variant from the FIDE Laws of Chess. As you would know, the FIDE Laws of Chess require a valid claim to be made by either player for a draw by `three-fold appearance' or `50 move rule'.

The FIDE Online Chess Regulations do not require a claim for `three-fold appearance' or `50 move rule' by either player. Does anyone know whether there is a particular motivation for this change?

My understanding is that on these two points, most online servers operate in accordance with the current FIDE Laws of Chess, but not with the FIDE Online Chess Regulations.

MichaelBaron
19-01-2021, 04:53 PM
https://www.facebook.com/emil.sutovsky/posts/10158482675149681
According to Sutovsky the online events will have the same ratings, titles, title norms etc as the OTB ones!

Kevin Bonham
19-01-2021, 05:07 PM
FIDE official announcement on rating hybrid tournaments:

https://www.fide.com/news/906

As stated in point 0.2 of the newly approved regulations, “The tournaments to be rated shall be pre-registered by the federation that will be responsible for the submission of results and rating fees. The tournament and its playing schedule must be registered one week before the tournament starts. The QC Chairman may refuse to register a tournament. He may also allow a tournament to be rated even though it has been registered less than one week before the tournament starts. All tournaments played under Hybrid conditions as described in 2.1 must be approved individually by the QC Chairman.”

The requests will be examined on a one-on-one basis, and FIDE’s Qualification Commission reserves itself the right not to rate a specific tournament. This is a precautionary measure to protect the rating system from any unforeseen circumstance, as we enter uncharted territory. In that eventuality, the organizer of the tournament has the right to appeal to the QC.

The best way to prevent this from happening is that organizers send requests with as much notice as they can, and include as much detail as possible, to the Qualification Commission: qualification@fide.com. This will ensure that there is a margin to make whatever adjustments are considered necessary so the event can be rated.

MichaelBaron
24-01-2021, 10:19 AM
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10222254705427916&set=a.3508329318302
This picture has been created by A WGM :).
I say it describes Hybrid chess rather accurately.

Andrew Hardegen
24-01-2021, 03:12 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10222254705427916&set=a.3508329318302
This picture has been created by A WGM :).
I say it describes Hybrid chess rather accurately.

Is it possible to post it here? The link is not working for me.

MichaelBaron
24-01-2021, 03:35 PM

Craig_Hall
24-01-2021, 05:09 PM
It applies in the standard Laws to "any electronic device not specifically approved by the arbiter in the playing venue."

I see that the Online rules have this:

This means the regulations of the event may allow devices not specifically approved by the arbiter to be stored very near to the playing area for backup internet purposes. It would be interesting to know why this exemption exists.

My experience of official online events is that it's to allow using a mobile phone as the spare internet if home internet fails.