PDA

View Full Version : Tasmanian Rapid and Lightning Championships Ranelagh Dec 12-3

Kevin Bonham
16-10-2020, 01:45 PM
Following the great success of the General Store Open one day tournament in Ranelagh, the Tasmanian Rapid and Lightning Championships will also be held there on the weekend of December 12 and 13. The venue will be the Soldiers Memorial Hall, across the road from the General Store.

More details to follow.

Kevin Bonham
20-11-2020, 04:35 PM
Confirming this is still on - expecting entry details to go up on the TCA website soon.

James Peirce
20-11-2020, 05:52 PM
It's a bit too far for me unfortunately, best of luck to all entrants!

Kevin Bonham
24-11-2020, 08:59 AM
https://www.tasmanianchessassociation.org/tournaments-enter/2020/12/12/tasmanian-rapid-championships
https://www.tasmanianchessassociation.org/tournaments-enter/2020/12/12/tasmanian-lightning-championships

Note:The Tasmanian Rapid Championships are traditionally a spirited fundraising event with book prizes only. However, the 2020 event has received very generous donations from the Ranelagh General Store and Long-Steps Ballroom Dancing, meaning cash prizes are guaranteed.

1st. - $150

2nd. - $100

3rd - $50

ER
24-11-2020, 11:46 AM
Spirit of Tassie will be accepting passengers from Victoria from Nov. 27 onwards.
I am just looking at various aspects (accom Hobart or Ranelagh, partake or just visit, and all that jazz)
We 'll see how it goes, I will keep you posted!

James Peirce
07-12-2020, 11:10 AM
Didn't see it mentioned on the TCA website entry page so I'm wondering if half-point byes are available for Rounds 1-4? I might be able to play if I took a half-point bye in Round 4 and a forfeit/unpaired in Round 5.

idledim
07-12-2020, 01:15 PM
Didn't see it mentioned on the TCA website entry page so I'm wondering if half-point byes are available for Rounds 1-4? I might be able to play if I took a half-point bye in Round 4 and a forfeit/unpaired in Round 5.

I'm not able to participate in this event (and wasn't involved in the design of the entry form). The entry form does state that the event has been organised to comply with the TCA Constitution and the Tournament Guidelines of the TCA. There is no mention of half-point byes in the tournament guidelines policy document. I am aware of other events where half-point byes have been offered, but am not sure if these were offered despite the silence of the guidelines or in ignorance of them. I did notice that the policy document mandates a closing time for entries to the Tas. Rapid event (30 minutes before the start of play). The entry form indicates that entries close this Thursday. I'll seek advice from the webmaster about that. Half-point byes were offered at the Tas. Open for the first 4 rounds. I don't think they were allowed at the State Championships in March - at least, they weren't according to the entry form!

My advice to you: keep an eye on the entry form. If the organisers are happy to include them, they'll be included.

Kevin Bonham
07-12-2020, 01:42 PM
I don't think they were allowed at the State Championships in March - at least, they weren't according to the entry form!

That's correct; some time ago (not sure how long ago off the top of my head) the TCA banned half point byes in the classical Tas Champs specifically.

Ian Rout
07-12-2020, 02:02 PM
My recollection is that half-point byes in the first four rounds have been available (and on occasions taken) in the Tas Open for at least the time that I have been here (seven years). So the rule about the Championship seems to mean specifically for that one event if the wording doesn't say otherwise, as Kevin notes.

I think prohibiting half-point byes in a rapid is taking it a little too seriously.

idledim
07-12-2020, 02:13 PM
My recollection is that half-point byes in the first four rounds have been available (and on occasions taken) in the Tas Open for at least the time that I have been here (seven years). So the rule about the Championship seems to mean specifically for that one event if the wording doesn't say otherwise, as Kevin notes.

I think prohibiting half-point byes in a rapid is taking it a little too seriously.

I suspect they haven't been prohibited - just left off the form ... to repeat: My advice to you: keep an eye on the entry form. If the organisers are happy to include them, they'll be included..

The TCA tournament guidelines policy was adopted at the 2018 AGM, following the 2018 State Championships. I would be happy to see the policy amended (at the 2021 AGM) to cover half-point byes. Amendments need to be moved by members, of course. The more serious issue is that no-one at Burnie is a member!

idledim
07-12-2020, 05:17 PM
That's correct; some time ago (not sure how long ago off the top of my head) the TCA banned half point byes in the classical Tas Champs specifically.

June 14th. 2010

SCORE FOR BYE ON REQUEST:
MOVED Kevin/Lawrence that there be no half-point byes in the Tasmanian Championships in view of the prestige of the event. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY

MOVED Carey/Marcus that all organisers of other TCA weekenders shall state whether half-point byes will be available, and if so under what conditions, on the entry form. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY

Those motions are probably still valid to the extent that they are not invalidated by the 2018 Tournament Guidelines Policy.

idledim
09-12-2020, 02:07 PM
The organisers have amended the entry form for the Tas. Rapid to include half-point byes, as follows:

BYES & NON-ATTENDANCE:
Each competitor may take up to 2 byes in addition to any generated due to pairing requirements.

Forced byes generated due to pairing requirements will be given a score of 1 point.

Voluntary byes taken in rounds 1-5 will be given a score of 0.5 points.

Voluntary byes taken in rounds 6 or 7 will be given a score of 0 points.

The deadline for receipt of entries has also been amended -

All competitors MUST enter online using the digital registration form below.

Entries close at 11:30am on Saturday the 12th of December.

phyrexianrook
09-12-2020, 04:15 PM
Details are changing fast!

More donations have come into the TCA making the prize pool a massive $600.

1st place will now be $200
2nd - $150
3rd - $100
Best Junior - $100 (best Christmas present ever)
The Beth Harmon prize for best female entrant $50

I'm trying to keep people as updated as possible using social media and email, but I now need your help, spread the word, and make sure you enter!

While entries close 30 minutes prior to the event, COVID-19 venue limits and more importantly board, set, and clock limits will apply! If you can enter before the day, please do!

Tan and the Ranelagh General Store has also donated 1 coffee per player per day to each entrant to keep you perked up and playing well.

See you all on the 12th.

phyrexianrook
09-12-2020, 04:25 PM
Details are changing fast!

More donations have come into the TCA making the prize pool a massive $600.

1st place will now be $200
2nd - $150
3rd - $100
Best Junior - $100 (best Christmas present ever)
The Beth Harmon prize for best female entrant $50

I'm trying to keep people as updated as possible using social media and email, but I now need your help, spread the word, and make sure you enter!

While entries close 30 minutes prior to the event, COVID-19 venue limits and more importantly board, set, and clock limits will apply! If you can enter before the day, please do!

Tan and the Ranelagh General Store has also donated 1 coffee per player per day to each entrant to keep you perked up and playing well.

See you all on the 12th.

As I was writing this post I got a text for another donation... Another $150 to the prize pool.

Zach Lim
09-12-2020, 05:36 PM
Is anyone going down from the north on friday evening or saturday morning and coming back up sunday night? If so i would love a lift and would be willing to chip in fuel and food

eddie30
09-12-2020, 06:20 PM
Is anyone going down from the north on friday evening or saturday morning and coming back up sunday night? If so i would love a lift and would be willing to chip in fuel and food

Hello Zach, I'll love to go Saturday morning from Launceston. We could go together.

Kevin Bonham
09-12-2020, 07:05 PM
The Rapid has never had cash prizes before!

Kevin Bonham
09-12-2020, 07:10 PM
At Hobart club the last few weeks I have asked people to bring unwanted chess books to donate as prizes (unaware that there was a donation surge coming!) so we may end up with more prizes than players.

idledim
09-12-2020, 07:19 PM
At Hobart club the last few weeks I have asked people to bring unwanted chess books to donate as prizes (unaware that there was a donation surge coming!) so we may end up with more prizes than players.

At Devonport we used to run an annual auction of donated chess books to help keep the club afloat. Maybe an online book auction here if there are too many prizes? I'd be happy to bid and to donate.

I'm delighted by the spirit of generosity being shown - though maybe the Beth Harmon Award should be a box of Benzedrine (?!).

Zach Lim
09-12-2020, 08:31 PM
Hello Zach, I'll love to go Saturday morning from Launceston. We could go together.

Thanks Eddie, I sent you a message hopefully we can work something out!

GoodNite
09-12-2020, 08:42 PM
Someone has been watching too much Netflix.

James Peirce
10-12-2020, 11:53 AM
At Devonport we used to run an annual auction of donated chess books to help keep the club afloat. Maybe an online book auction here if there are too many prizes? I'd be happy to bid and to donate.

I'm delighted by the spirit of generosity being shown - though maybe the Beth Harmon Award should be a box of Benzedrine (?!).

Online book auction sounds interesting:clap:

Kevin Bonham
10-12-2020, 02:54 PM
I am getting at least some email notifications for the Lightning entries but not the Rapid.

Lightning entries I've received notifications for so far (in order of receipt) - post will be edited

Kevin Bonham
Owen Swan
Thomas Powell-Davies
John Patrick
Tan Thanh Nguyen
Will Rumley
Eddy Amos
Cormac Lawrence
Addison Djatschenko
Alastair Dyer
Scott Cohen
Jesse Harvey-Kays
Le Khanh Nguyen

eddie30
10-12-2020, 08:07 PM
Thanks Eddie, I sent you a message hopefully we can work something out!

Hello Zach, don't know why i haven't seen your message and unable to send you a message either.. I have accepted your friend request.. Pretty new on this platform.. Not sure how to work around this.. Could you please try sending me a message again

Kevin Bonham
10-12-2020, 08:20 PM
Hello Zach, don't know why i haven't seen your message and unable to send you a message either.. I have accepted your friend request.. Pretty new on this platform.. Not sure how to work around this.. Could you please try sending me a message again

Private messages on this forum are usually limited to users who have made at least 3 undeleted posts. I've upgraded your status so you should be able to use private messages now.

eddie30
10-12-2020, 08:59 PM
Private messages on this forum are usually limited to users who have made at least 3 undeleted posts. I've upgraded your status so you should be able to use private messages now.

Thanks a bunch.. It worked 😊😊

phyrexianrook
10-12-2020, 10:25 PM
Kevin Bonham
Chris Shepherd
Marvin Drake
Owen Swan
Liam Heynes
Thomas Powell-Davies
Oli Ebdon
Kam Lee
John Patrick
Ian Rout
Tan Thanh Nguyen
William Rumley
Eddy Amos
Lance Ryan
Addison Djatschenko
Alex Pace
Zakir Hussain
TOBY STRATON
Alastair Dyer
Jack Hyde
Ben Price
Le Khanh Nguyen
Ian Little

phyrexianrook
10-12-2020, 10:27 PM
Kevin Bonham
Owen Swan
Thomas Powell-Davies
John Patrick
Tan Thanh Nguyen
William Rumley
Eddy Amos
Cormac Lawrence
Addison Djatschenko
Alastair Dyer
Scott Cohen
Jesse Harvey-Kays
Le Khanh Nguyen
Ian Little

Kevin Bonham
10-12-2020, 10:58 PM
^^
Excellent, thanks Ian.

phyrexianrook
11-12-2020, 06:43 AM
There is a very kind and keen lady driving from the Hobart region down to the event tomorrow called Veronika. She heard me on the radio this morning and contact me to say she would be coming and is more than happy to carpool with other entrants. So, if you're in the Hobart region and need a lift tomorrow, call Veronika

0408 900 099

idledim
11-12-2020, 11:09 AM
There is a very kind and keen lady driving from the Hobart region down to the event tomorrow called Veronika. She heard me on the radio this morning and contact me to say she would be coming and is more than happy to carpool with other entrants. So, if you're in the Hobart region and need a lift tomorrow, call Veronika

0408 900 099

Link to Ian Little's interview on ABC Breakfast this morning (https://www.abc.net.au/radio/hobart/programs/breakfast/breakfast/12953604)

... from about the 1.43.23 mark.

Kevin Bonham
11-12-2020, 01:50 PM
Note: scoring is optional. I don't know if scoresheets will be provided so I suggest if you want to score, BYO.

phyrexianrook
12-12-2020, 07:49 AM
Note: scoring is optional. I don't know if scoresheets will be provided so I suggest if you want to score, BYO.

Score sheets have not been arranged

phyrexianrook
12-12-2020, 07:50 AM
Kevin Bonham
Chris Shepherd
Marvin Drake
Owen Swan
Liam Heynes
Thomas Powell-Davies
Oli Ebdon
Kam Lee
John Patrick
Ian Rout
Tan Thanh Nguyen
William Rumley
Eddy Amos
Lance Ryan
Addison Djatschenko
Alex Pace
Zakir Hussain
Toby Straton
Alastair Dyer
Jack Hyde
Ben Price
Le Khanh Nguyen
Ian Little
Andrew Martini
Imogen Martini
Raphael Martini
Oscar Breslin
Tobin Joyce
John Ryan
Mana Ryan
Wilhelm Ryan

phyrexianrook
12-12-2020, 07:57 AM
Kevin Bonham
Owen Swan
Thomas Powell-Davies
John Patrick
Tan Thanh Nguyen
William Rumley
Eddy Amos
Cormac Lawrence
Addison Djatschenko
Alastair Dyer
Scott Cohen
Jesse Harvey-Kays
Le Khanh Nguyen
Ian Little

Current Lightning entries remain the same. A new $200 donation has been gifted to the weekend, which I am allocating to the Lightning Tournament.

The Lightning will still give 100% of entry fees as prizes, but the following cash bonuses will be given on top of those amounts:
1st $50 + 50%
2nd $50 + 25%
3rd $50 + 15%
Best Junior $50 + 10%

James Peirce
12-12-2020, 10:51 AM
Kevin Bonham
Chris Shepherd
Marvin Drake
Owen Swan
Liam Heynes
Thomas Powell-Davies
Oli Ebdon
Kam Lee
John Patrick
Ian Rout
Tan Thanh Nguyen
William Rumley
Eddy Amos
Lance Ryan
Addison Djatschenko
Alex Pace
Zakir Hussain
Toby Straton
Alastair Dyer
Jack Hyde
Ben Price
Le Khanh Nguyen
Ian Little
Andrew Martini
Imogen Martini
Raphael Martini
Oscar Breslin
Tobin Joyce
John Ryan
Mana Ryan
Wilhelm Ryan

Most impressive, can't remember the last time a TCA Weekender had so many entrants!:clap:

Kevin Bonham
12-12-2020, 01:43 PM
Tas Rapid: Pairing of round 1

================================================== =================================
1 = Rout,Ian C ( 0.0) - Ryan,Lance ( 0.0) = 1 - 17 = 1 - 0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 = Shepherd,Chris ( 0.0) - Straton,Toby ( 0.0) = 18 - 2 = 0 - 1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 = Rumley,William ( 0.0) - Breslin,Oscar ( 0.0) = 3 - 19 = 1 - 0
4 = Hussain,Zakir ( 0.0) - Bonham,Kevin ( 0.0) = 20 - 4 = 0 - 1
5 = Dyer,Alastair ( 0.0) - Drake,Marvin ( 0.0) = 5 - 21 = 1 - 0
6 = Ebdon,Oli ( 0.0) - Nguyen,Tan Thanh ( 0.0) = 22 - 6 = 0 - 1
7 = Amos,Eddy ( 0.0) - Nguyen,Le ( 0.0) = 7 - 23 = 1 - 0
8 = Cusack,Zane ( 0.0) - Little,Ian ( 0.0) = 24 - 8 = 1 - 0
9 = Powell-Davies,Thomas ( 0.0) - Beinssen,Veronika ( 0.0) = 9 - 25 = 1 - 0
10 = Heynes,Liam ( 0.0) - Lee,Kam ( 0.0) = 26 - 10 = 0 - 1
11 = Patrick,John ( 0.0) - Hyde,Jack ( 0.0) = 11 - 27 = 1 - 0
12 = Joyce,Tobin ( 0.0) - Price,Ben J ( 0.0) = 28 - 12 = 1 - 0
13 = Nagy,Alex ( 0.0) - Martini,Imogen ( 0.0) = 13 - 29 = ˝ - ˝
14 = Martini,Raphael ( 0.0) - Djatschenko,Addison ( 0.0) = 30 - 14 = 0 - 1
15 = Martini,Andrew ( 0.0) - Ryan,John ( 0.0) = 15 - 31 = 1 - 0
16 = Ryan,Mana ( 0.0) - Pace,Alex ( 0.0) = 32 - 16 = 0 - 1
17 = Ryan,Wilhelm ( 0.0) - ( bye ) ( 0.0) = 33 - 0 = 1

Generated by Vega - www.vegachess.com

Tas Rapid: Pairing of round 2

================================================== =================================
1 = Lee,Kam ( 1.0) - Rout,Ian C ( 1.0) = 10 - 1 = 1 - 0
2 = Straton,Toby ( 1.0) - Patrick,John ( 1.0) = 2 - 11 = 1 - 0
3 = Djatschenko,Addison ( 1.0) - Rumley,William ( 1.0) = 14 - 3 = 0 - 1
4 = Bonham,Kevin ( 1.0) - Martini,Andrew ( 1.0) = 4 - 15 = 1 - 0
5 = Pace,Alex ( 1.0) - Dyer,Alastair ( 1.0) = 16 - 5 = 0 - 1
6 = Nguyen,Tan Thanh ( 1.0) - Cusack,Zane ( 1.0) = 6 - 24 = 1 - 0
7 = Joyce,Tobin ( 1.0) - Amos,Eddy ( 1.0) = 28 - 7 = 0 - 1
8 = Ryan,Wilhelm ( 1.0) - Powell-Davies,Thomas ( 1.0) = 33 - 9 = 0 - 1
9 = Little,Ian ( 0.0) - Nagy,Alex ( 0.5) = 8 - 13 = 1 - 0
10 = Martini,Imogen ( 0.5) - Price,Ben J ( 0.0) = 29 - 12 = 0 - 1
11 = Ryan,Lance ( 0.0) - Heynes,Liam ( 0.0) = 17 - 26 = 1 - 0
12 = Nguyen,Le ( 0.0) - Shepherd,Chris ( 0.0) = 23 - 18 = 0 - 1
13 = Breslin,Oscar ( 0.0) - Martini,Raphael ( 0.0) = 19 - 30 = 1 - 0
14 = Beinssen,Veronika ( 0.0) - Hussain,Zakir ( 0.0) = 25 - 20 = 0 - 1
15 = Drake,Marvin ( 0.0) - Ryan,Mana ( 0.0) = 21 - 32 = 1 - 0
16 = Hyde,Jack ( 0.0) - Ebdon,Oli ( 0.0) = 27 - 22 = ˝ - ˝
17 = Ryan,John ( 0.0) - ( bye ) ( 0.0) = 31 - 0 = 1

Tas Rapid: Pairing of round 3

1 = Amos,Eddy ( 2.0) - Straton,Toby ( 2.0) = 7 - 2 = ...
2 = Rumley,William ( 2.0) - Nguyen,Tan Thanh ( 2.0) = 3 - 6 = ...
3 = Powell-Davies,Thomas ( 2.0) - Bonham,Kevin ( 2.0) = 9 - 4 = ...
4 = Dyer,Alastair ( 2.0) - Lee,Kam ( 2.0) = 5 - 10 = ...
5 = Rout,Ian C ( 1.0) - Breslin,Oscar ( 1.0) = 1 - 19 = ...
6 = Shepherd,Chris ( 1.0) - Little,Ian ( 1.0) = 18 - 8 = ...
7 = Patrick,John ( 1.0) - Drake,Marvin ( 1.0) = 11 - 21 = ...
8 = Price,Ben J ( 1.0) - Ryan,Wilhelm ( 1.0) = 12 - 33 = ...
9 = Hussain,Zakir ( 1.0) - Djatschenko,Addison ( 1.0) = 20 - 14 = ...
10 = Martini,Andrew ( 1.0) - Joyce,Tobin ( 1.0) = 15 - 28 = ...
11 = Cusack,Zane ( 1.0) - Pace,Alex ( 1.0) = 24 - 16 = ...
12 = Ryan,John ( 1.0) - Ryan,Lance ( 1.0) = 31 - 17 = ...
13 = Nagy,Alex ( 0.5) - Hyde,Jack ( 0.5) = 13 - 27 = ...
14 = Ebdon,Oli ( 0.5) - Martini,Imogen ( 0.5) = 22 - 29 = ...
15 = Heynes,Liam ( 0.0) - Nguyen,Le ( 0.0) = 26 - 23 = ...
16 = Martini,Raphael ( 0.0) - Beinssen,Veronika ( 0.0) = 30 - 25 = ...
17 = Ryan,Mana ( 0.0) - ( bye ) ( 0.0) = 32 - 0 = 1

Kevin Bonham
12-12-2020, 01:49 PM
Most impressive, can't remember the last time a TCA Weekender had so many entrants!:clap:

It's actually one more than have ever played in the Tas Closed Champs. The Tas Open has had more now and then - 40 in 1976 is the record and I think (but will have to check) that there were more than 33 in 1988. This is probably the biggest since then.

Kevin Bonham
12-12-2020, 03:27 PM
Tas Rapid: Pairing of round 3

1 = Amos,Eddy ( 2.0) - Straton,Toby ( 2.0) = 7 - 2 = 1 - 0
2 = Rumley,William ( 2.0) - Nguyen,Tan Thanh ( 2.0) = 3 - 6 = 0 - 1
3 = Powell-Davies,Thomas ( 2.0) - Bonham,Kevin ( 2.0) = 9 - 4 = 0 - 1
4 = Dyer,Alastair ( 2.0) - Lee,Kam ( 2.0) = 5 - 10 = 1 - 0
5 = Rout,Ian C ( 1.0) - Breslin,Oscar ( 1.0) = 1 - 19 = 1 - 0
6 = Shepherd,Chris ( 1.0) - Little,Ian ( 1.0) = 18 - 8 = 0 - 1
7 = Patrick,John ( 1.0) - Drake,Marvin ( 1.0) = 11 - 21 = 1 - 0
8 = Price,Ben J ( 1.0) - Ryan,Wilhelm ( 1.0) = 12 - 33 = 1 - 0
9 = Hussain,Zakir ( 1.0) - Djatschenko,Addison ( 1.0) = 20 - 14 = 0 - 1
10 = Martini,Andrew ( 1.0) - Joyce,Tobin ( 1.0) = 15 - 28 = 1 - 0
11 = Cusack,Zane ( 1.0) - Pace,Alex ( 1.0) = 24 - 16 = 0 - 1
12 = Ryan,John ( 1.0) - Ryan,Lance ( 1.0) = 31 - 17 = 0 - 1
13 = Nagy,Alex ( 0.5) - Hyde,Jack ( 0.5) = 13 - 27 = 1 - 0
14 = Ebdon,Oli ( 0.5) - Martini,Imogen ( 0.5) = 22 - 29 = 1 - 0
15 = Heynes,Liam ( 0.0) - Nguyen,Le ( 0.0) = 26 - 23 = 0 - 1
16 = Martini,Raphael ( 0.0) - Beinssen,Veronika ( 0.0) = 30 - 25 = 1 - 0
17 = Ryan,Mana ( 0.0) - ( bye ) ( 0.0) = 32 - 0 = 1

Tas Rapid: Pairing of round 4

1 = Bonham,Kevin ( 3.0) - Dyer,Alastair ( 3.0) = 4 - 5 = ...
2 = Lee,Kam ( 2.0) - Amos,Eddy ( 3.0) = 10 - 7 = ...
3 = Price,Ben J ( 2.0) - Rout,Ian C ( 2.0) = 12 - 1 = ...
4 = Straton,Toby ( 2.0) - Martini,Andrew ( 2.0) = 2 - 15 = ...
5 = Pace,Alex ( 2.0) - Rumley,William ( 2.0) = 16 - 3 = ...
6 = Little,Ian ( 2.0) - Patrick,John ( 2.0) = 8 - 11 = ...
7 = Djatschenko,Addison ( 2.0) - Powell-Davies,Thomas ( 2.0) = 14 - 9 = ...
8 = Ryan,Lance ( 2.0) - Nagy,Alex ( 1.5) = 17 - 13 = ...
9 = Breslin,Oscar ( 1.0) - Ebdon,Oli ( 1.5) = 19 - 22 = ...
10 = Ryan,John ( 1.0) - Shepherd,Chris ( 1.0) = 31 - 18 = ...
11 = Ryan,Mana ( 1.0) - Hussain,Zakir ( 1.0) = 32 - 20 = ...
12 = Drake,Marvin ( 1.0) - Joyce,Tobin ( 1.0) = 21 - 28 = ...
13 = Nguyen,Le ( 1.0) - Martini,Raphael ( 1.0) = 23 - 30 = ...
14 = Ryan,Wilhelm ( 1.0) - Cusack,Zane ( 1.0) = 33 - 24 = ...
15 = Hyde,Jack ( 0.5) - Martini,Imogen ( 0.5) = 27 - 29 = ...
16 = Beinssen,Veronika ( 0.0) - Heynes,Liam ( 0.0) = 25 - 26 = ...
17 = Nguyen,Tan Thanh ( 3.0) - ( half point bye ) ( 0.0) = 6 - 0 = ˝

Kevin Bonham
12-12-2020, 04:44 PM
Tas Rapid: Pairing of round 4

1 = Bonham,Kevin ( 3.0) - Dyer,Alastair ( 3.0) = 4 - 5 = ˝ - ˝
2 = Lee,Kam ( 2.0) - Amos,Eddy ( 3.0) = 10 - 7 = 0 - 1
3 = Price,Ben J ( 2.0) - Rout,Ian C ( 2.0) = 12 - 1 = 0 - 1
4 = Straton,Toby ( 2.0) - Martini,Andrew ( 2.0) = 2 - 15 = 1 - 0
5 = Pace,Alex ( 2.0) - Rumley,William ( 2.0) = 16 - 3 = 0 - 1
6 = Little,Ian ( 2.0) - Patrick,John ( 2.0) = 8 - 11 = 0 - 1
7 = Djatschenko,Addison ( 2.0) - Powell-Davies,Thomas ( 2.0) = 14 - 9 = ˝ - ˝
8 = Ryan,Lance ( 2.0) - Nagy,Alex ( 1.5) = 17 - 13 = 0 - 1
9 = Breslin,Oscar ( 1.0) - Ebdon,Oli ( 1.5) = 19 - 22 = 1 - 0
10 = Ryan,John ( 1.0) - Shepherd,Chris ( 1.0) = 31 - 18 = 0 - 1
11 = Ryan,Mana ( 1.0) - Hussain,Zakir ( 1.0) = 32 - 20 = 0 - 1
12 = Drake,Marvin ( 1.0) - Joyce,Tobin ( 1.0) = 21 - 28 = 1 - 0
13 = Nguyen,Le ( 1.0) - Martini,Raphael ( 1.0) = 23 - 30 = 1 - 0
14 = Ryan,Wilhelm ( 1.0) - Cusack,Zane ( 1.0) = 33 - 24 = 0 - 1
15 = Hyde,Jack ( 0.5) - Martini,Imogen ( 0.5) = 27 - 29 = 1 - 0
16 = Beinssen,Veronika ( 0.0) - Heynes,Liam ( 0.0) = 25 - 26 = 1 - 0
17 = Nguyen,Tan Thanh ( 3.0) - ( half point bye ) ( 0.0) = 6 - 0 = ˝

Provisional Pairing Round 5 - draw is not final until round starts. (In case of overnight withdrawals, corrections etc)

Tas Rapid: Pairing of round 5

1 = Amos,Eddy ( 4.0) - Bonham,Kevin ( 3.5) = 7 - 4 = ...
2 = Nguyen,Tan Thanh ( 3.5) - Dyer,Alastair ( 3.5) = 6 - 5 = ...
3 = Rout,Ian C ( 3.0) - Patrick,John ( 3.0) = 1 - 11 = ...
4 = Rumley,William ( 3.0) - Straton,Toby ( 3.0) = 3 - 2 = ...
5 = Nagy,Alex ( 2.5) - Djatschenko,Addison ( 2.5) = 13 - 14 = ...
6 = Powell-Davies,Thomas ( 2.5) - Little,Ian ( 2.0) = 9 - 8 = ...
7 = Shepherd,Chris ( 2.0) - Lee,Kam ( 2.0) = 18 - 10 = ...
8 = Breslin,Oscar ( 2.0) - Price,Ben J ( 2.0) = 19 - 12 = ...
9 = Martini,Andrew ( 2.0) - Drake,Marvin ( 2.0) = 15 - 21 = ...
10 = Hussain,Zakir ( 2.0) - Pace,Alex ( 2.0) = 20 - 16 = ...
11 = Cusack,Zane ( 2.0) - Ryan,Lance ( 2.0) = 24 - 17 = ...
12 = Ebdon,Oli ( 1.5) - Nguyen,Le ( 2.0) = 22 - 23 = ...
13 = Beinssen,Veronika ( 1.0) - Hyde,Jack ( 1.5) = 25 - 27 = ...
14 = Joyce,Tobin ( 1.0) - Ryan,John ( 1.0) = 28 - 31 = ...
15 = Martini,Raphael ( 1.0) - Ryan,Mana ( 1.0) = 30 - 32 = ...
16 = Martini,Imogen ( 0.5) - Ryan,Wilhelm ( 1.0) = 29 - 33 = ...
17 = Heynes,Liam ( 0.0) - ( bye ) ( 0.0) = 26 - 0 = 1

Kevin Bonham
12-12-2020, 08:41 PM
Tasmanian Lightning

Alastair Dyer wins his second title; his first was in 2010. He has said he will come back in 2030 and win it again. :lol:

Tas Lightning
Cross Table at round 9 sorted by score

Pos NAME Rtg T Fed Pts | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Buc1 BucT
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Dyer,Alastair 1954 TAS 7.0 | +W13 -B4 +W16 +B8 +W10 +W5 -B6 +B7 +W3 | 40.0 42.5
2 Cohen,Scott 1825 TAS 6.5 | +B12 -W5 -B8 =W11 +B14 +W13 +W10 +B6 +W7 | 35.5 37.0
3 Amos,Eddy 1845 TAS 6.0 | +W9 +B6 -W10 +B4 -W7 +B8 +W11 +B5 -B1 | 43.0 47.5
4 Powell-Davies,Thomas 1706 TAS 6.0 | +B14 +W1 -B5 -W3 +B9 -B7 +W15 +W8 +W6 | 40.0 41.5
5 Rumley,William 2053 TAS 5.5 | +W16 +B2 +W4 =B10 +W6 -B1 -W7 -W3 +B11 | 44.5 47.5
6 Bonham,Kevin 1968 TAS 5.0 | +B8 -W3 +B11 +W7 -B5 +B10 +W1 -W2 -B4 | 45.5 50.0
7 Little,Ian 1737 TAS 5.0 | +W15 -B10 +W13 -B6 +B3 +W4 +B5 -W1 -B2 | 43.0 44.5
8 Djatschenko,Addison 1558 TAS 5.0 | -W6 +B9 +W2 -W1 +B12 -W3 +B13 -B4 +W14 | 41.5 43.0
9 Breslin,Oscar 1382 TAS 5.0 | -B3 -W8 +B14 +B16 -W4 -W11 +B12 +W15 +B13 | 32.0 33.5
10 Nguyen,Tan Thanh 1867 TAS 4.5 | +B11 +W7 +B3 =W5 -B1 -W6 -B2 +W12 -B15 | 43.0 44.5
11 Lawrence,Cormac 1483 TAS 4.5 | -W10 +B15 -W6 =B2 +W16 +B9 -B3 +W14 -W5 | 37.0 38.5
12 Harvey-Kays,Jesse 1000 TAS 4.0 | -W2 -B16 +W15 +B13 -W8 +B14 -W9 -B10 +BYE | 31.0 32.5
13 Ryan,Lance 1502 TAS 3.0 | -B1 +W14 -B7 -W12 +B15 -B2 -W8 +BYE -W9 | 36.0 37.5
14 Ryan,John 0 TAS 2.0 | -W4 -B13 -W9 +B15 -W2 -W12 +BYE -B11 -B8 | 35.0 36.5
15 Nguyen,Le 953 TAS 2.0 | -B7 -W11 -B12 -W14 -W13 +BYE -B4 -B9 +W10 | 32.5 34.0
16 Patrick,John (W) 1647 TAS 1.0 | -B5 +W12 -B1 -W9 -B11 -- -- -- -- | 34.5 36.5

Kevin Bonham
12-12-2020, 09:26 PM
Prizemoney for the blitz was paid for 1st, 2nd, =3rd-4th and Best Junior (Will Rumley).

The board 1 games were all filmed but Ian will have a tough time reconstructing Rumley - Patrick which featured at least one unclaimed illegal move (possibly more).

Unluckiest loss of the night was possibly Breslin - Djatschenko where Oscar promoted to reach KQB vs KQ and gave a check to which Addison replied with a king move that was a discovered check, Oscar then played a queen move not noticing he was in check and all the legal queen moves lost the queen. I also lost against Eddy by touchmove blunder, picking up a knight to discover that all the legal knight moves, and only those moves and no others, would lose my queen to a discovered check. (I may have been in trouble anyway.)

Kevin Bonham
12-12-2020, 10:27 PM
It's actually one more than have ever played in the Tas Closed Champs. The Tas Open has had more now and then - 40 in 1976 is the record and I think (but will have to check) that there were more than 33 in 1988. This is probably the biggest since then.

Yes there were 39 entries in the 1988 Tasmanian Open. This is the biggest TCA open-age event since then, narrowly exceeding the 2007 Tas Open and Tas Champs which both had 32.

James Peirce
13-12-2020, 11:14 AM
True Performance Ratings for the Lightning using https://pappubahry.com/misc/tpr_vega/
Dyer 2027
Cohen 1878
Amos 1913
Powell-Davies 1868
Rumley 1876
Bonham 1831
Little 1848
Djatschenko 1691
Breslin 1507
Nguyen (T) 1726
Lawrence 1685
Harvey-Kays 1344
Ryan (L) 1051
Ryan (J) 915
Nguyen (L) 938
Patrick 1131

Kevin Bonham
13-12-2020, 12:53 PM
Tas Rapid: Pairing of round 5

1 = Amos,Eddy ( 4.0) - Bonham,Kevin ( 3.5) = 7 - 4 = 0 - 1
2 = Nguyen,Tan Thanh ( 3.5) - Dyer,Alastair ( 3.5) = 6 - 5 = 0 - 1
3 = Rout,Ian C ( 3.0) - Patrick,John ( 3.0) = 1 - 11 = 1 - 0
4 = Rumley,William ( 3.0) - Straton,Toby ( 3.0) = 3 - 2 = 0 - 1
5 = Nagy,Alex ( 2.5) - Djatschenko,Addison ( 2.5) = 13 - 14 = 0 - 1
6 = Powell-Davies,Thomas ( 2.5) - Little,Ian ( 2.0) = 9 - 8 = ˝ - ˝
7 = Shepherd,Chris ( 2.0) - Lee,Kam ( 2.0) = 18 - 10 = 0 - 1
8 = Breslin,Oscar ( 2.0) - Price,Ben J ( 2.0) = 19 - 12 = 1 - 0
9 = Martini,Andrew ( 2.0) - Drake,Marvin ( 2.0) = 15 - 21 = 0 - 1
10 = Nguyen,Le ( 2.0) - Pace,Alex ( 2.0) = 23 - 16 = 0 - 1
11 = Cusack,Zane ( 2.0) - Ryan,Lance ( 2.0) = 24 - 17 = 1 - 0
12 = Ebdon,Oli ( 1.5) - Beinssen,Veronika ( 1.0) = 22 - 25 = 1 - 0
13 = Hyde,Jack ( 1.5) - Ryan,John ( 1.0) = 27 - 31 = 0 - 1
14 = Joyce,Tobin ( 1.0) - Ryan,Mana ( 1.0) = 28 - 32 = 0 - 1
15 = Martini,Raphael ( 1.0) - Ryan,Wilhelm ( 1.0) = 30 - 33 = 1 - 0
16 = Martini,Imogen ( 0.5) - Heynes,Liam ( 0.0) = 29 - 26 = 1 - 0
17 = Hussain,Zakir ( 2.0) - ( not paired ) ( 0.0) = 20 - 0 = 0

Tas Rapid: Pairing of round 6

1 = Bonham,Kevin ( 4.5) - Rout,Ian C ( 4.0) = 4 - 1 = ˝ - ˝
2 = Dyer,Alastair ( 4.5) - Amos,Eddy ( 4.0) = 5 - 7 = 1 - 0
3 = Straton,Toby ( 4.0) - Nguyen,Tan Thanh ( 3.5) = 2 - 6 = 1 - 0
4 = Djatschenko,Addison ( 3.5) - Cusack,Zane ( 3.0) = 14 - 24 = 0 - 1
5 = Patrick,John ( 3.0) - Rumley,William ( 3.0) = 11 - 3 = 0 - 1
6 = Pace,Alex ( 3.0) - Powell-Davies,Thomas ( 3.0) = 16 - 9 = 0 - 1
7 = Lee,Kam ( 3.0) - Breslin,Oscar ( 3.0) = 10 - 19 = 0 - 1
8 = Drake,Marvin ( 3.0) - Nagy,Alex ( 2.5) = 21 - 13 = 0 - 1
9 = Little,Ian ( 2.5) - Ebdon,Oli ( 2.5) = 8 - 22 = ˝ - ˝
10 = Price,Ben J ( 2.0) - Shepherd,Chris ( 2.0) = 12 - 18 = 0 - 1
11 = Ryan,Mana ( 2.0) - Martini,Andrew ( 2.0) = 32 - 15 = 0 - 1
12 = Ryan,Lance ( 2.0) - Martini,Raphael ( 2.0) = 17 - 30 = 1 - 0
13 = Ryan,John ( 2.0) - Nguyen,Le ( 2.0) = 31 - 23 = 1 - 0
14 = Beinssen,Veronika ( 1.0) - Hyde,Jack ( 1.5) = 25 - 27 = 0 - 1
15 = Martini,Imogen ( 1.5) - Joyce,Tobin ( 1.0) = 29 - 28 = 1 - 0
16 = Heynes,Liam ( 0.0) - Ryan,Wilhelm ( 1.0) = 26 - 33 = 1 - 0

as Rapid: Pairing of round 7

1 = Dyer,Alastair ( 5.5) - Straton,Toby ( 5.0) = 5 - 2 = 1 - 0
2 = Rumley,William ( 4.0) - Bonham,Kevin ( 5.0) = 3 - 4 = 0 - 1
3 = Rout,Ian C ( 4.5) - Powell-Davies,Thomas ( 4.0) = 1 - 9 = ˝ - ˝
4 = Amos,Eddy ( 4.0) - Breslin,Oscar ( 4.0) = 7 - 19 = 0 - 1
5 = Cusack,Zane ( 4.0) - Nagy,Alex ( 3.5) = 24 - 13 = ˝ - ˝
6 = Nguyen,Tan Thanh ( 3.5) - Djatschenko,Addison ( 3.5) = 6 - 14 = 1 - 0
7 = Drake,Marvin ( 3.0) - Little,Ian ( 3.0) = 21 - 8 = 0 - 1
8 = Ebdon,Oli ( 3.0) - Lee,Kam ( 3.0) = 22 - 10 = ˝ - ˝
9 = Shepherd,Chris ( 3.0) - Patrick,John ( 3.0) = 18 - 11 = 0 - 1
10 = Martini,Andrew ( 3.0) - Ryan,Lance ( 3.0) = 15 - 17 = 1 - 0
11 = Pace,Alex ( 3.0) - Ryan,John ( 3.0) = 16 - 31 = 1 - 0
12 = Hyde,Jack ( 2.5) - Price,Ben J ( 2.0) = 27 - 12 = ˝ - ˝
13 = Nguyen,Le ( 2.0) - Martini,Imogen ( 2.5) = 23 - 29 = 1 - 0
14 = Martini,Raphael ( 2.0) - Ryan,Mana ( 2.0) = 30 - 32 = 0 - 1
15 = Ryan,Wilhelm ( 1.0) - Beinssen,Veronika ( 1.0) = 33 - 25 = 1 - 0
16 = Joyce,Tobin ( 1.0) - Heynes,Liam ( 1.0) = 28 - 26 = 1 - 0

Tas Rapid
Cross Table at round 7 sorted by score

Pos NAME Rtg T Fed Pts | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Buc1 BucT
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Dyer,Alastair 1954 TAS 6.5 | +W19 +B11 +W16 =B2 +B6 +W9 +W3 | 27.0 30.0
2 Bonham,Kevin 1968 TAS 6.0 | +B28 +W14 +B7 =W1 +B9 =W4 +B10 | 28.0 31.5
3 Straton,Toby 2059 TAS 5.0 | +B20 +W12 -B9 +W14 +B10 +W6 -B1 | 27.0 30.0
4 Rout,Ian C 2060 TAS 5.0 | +W21 -B16 +W5 +B26 +W12 =B2 =W7 | 26.0 28.5
5 Breslin,Oscar 1382 TAS 5.0 | -B10 +W30 -B4 +W18 +W26 +B16 +B9 | 22.5 24.5
6 Nguyen,Tan Thanh 1867 TAS 4.5 | +B18 +W8 +B10 =BYE -W1 -B3 +W17 | 28.5 32.0
7 Powell-Davies,Thomas 1706 TAS 4.5 | +W32 +B31 -W2 =B17 =W13 +B11 =B4 | 24.0 25.0
8 Cusack,Zane 600 TAS 4.5 | +W13 -B6 -W11 +B31 +W21 +B17 =W15 | 23.0 24.5
9 Amos,Eddy 1845 TAS 4.0 | +W25 +B29 +W3 +B16 -W2 -B1 -W5 | 29.0 31.0
10 Rumley,William 2053 TAS 4.0 | +W5 +B17 -W6 +B11 -W3 +B12 -W2 | 28.5 32.0
11 Pace,Alex 1519 TAS 4.0 | +B24 -W1 +B8 -W10 +B25 -W7 +W22 | 25.0 27.5
12 Patrick,John 1647 TAS 4.0 | +W23 -B3 +W19 +B13 -B4 -W10 +B20 | 24.0 27.0
13 Little,Ian 1737 TAS 4.0 | -B8 +W15 +B20 -W12 =B7 =W18 +B19 | 23.5 26.5
14 Martini,Andrew 1535 TAS 4.0 | +W22 -B2 +W29 -B3 -W19 +B24 +W21 | 22.0 24.0
15 Nagy,Alex 1562 TAS 4.0 | =W27 -B13 +W23 +B21 -W17 +B19 =B8 | 21.0 23.5
16 Lee,Kam 1649 TAS 3.5 | +B33 +W4 -B1 -W9 +B20 -W5 =B18 | 27.0 28.0
17 Djatschenko,Addison 1558 TAS 3.5 | +B30 -W10 +B28 =W7 +B15 -W8 -B6 | 25.0 27.0
18 Ebdon,Oli 1145 TAS 3.5 | -W6 =B23 +W27 -B5 +W32 =B13 =W16 | 22.5 23.5
19 Drake,Marvin 1212 TAS 3.0 | -B1 +W24 -B12 +W29 +B14 -W15 -W13 | 25.0 27.0
20 Shepherd,Chris 1433 TAS 3.0 | -W3 +B25 -W13 +B22 -W16 +B26 -W12 | 22.0 24.5
21 Ryan,Lance 1502 TAS 3.0 | -B4 +W33 +B22 -W15 -B8 +W30 -B14 | 22.0 23.0
22 Ryan,John 0 TAS 3.0 | -B14 +BYE -W21 -W20 +B23 +W25 -B11 | 20.0 22.5
23 Hyde,Jack 0 TAS 3.0 | -B12 =W18 -B15 +W27 -W22 +B32 =W26 | 19.0 20.0
24 Ryan,Mana 0 TAS 3.0 | -W11 -B19 +BYE -W28 +B29 -W14 +B30 | 18.5 20.5
25 Nguyen,Le 953 TAS 3.0 | -B9 -W20 +B33 +W30 -W11 -B22 +W27 | 18.0 19.0
26 Price,Ben J 1641 NSW 2.5 | -B29 +B27 +W31 -W4 -B5 -W20 =B23 | 20.5 22.0
27 Martini,Imogen 0 TAS 2.5 | =B15 -W26 -B18 -B23 +W33 +W29 -B25 | 18.0 19.0
28 Hussain,Zakir (W) 1364 TAS 2.0 | -W2 +B32 -W17 +B24 -- -- -- | 22.5 23.5
29 Joyce,Tobin 0 TAS 2.0 | +W26 -W9 -B14 -B19 -W24 -B27 +W33 | 18.5 19.5
30 Martini,Raphael 0 TAS 2.0 | -W17 -B5 +W32 -B25 +W31 -B21 -W24 | 18.5 19.5
31 Ryan,Wilhelm 0 TAS 2.0 | +BYE -W7 -B26 -W8 -B30 -B33 +W32 | 17.5 18.5
32 Beinssen,Veronika 0 TAS 1.0 | -B7 -W28 -B30 +W33 -B18 -W23 -B31 | 18.0 19.0
33 Heynes,Liam 0 TAS 1.0 | -W16 -B21 -W25 -B32 -B27 +W31 -B29 | 15.5 16.5

Many of the ratings shown above are seed ratings, I'll post a version with the seed ratings removed later.

Apologies for not posting updates throughout the day, when my full game against Eddy is posted readers will understand why I did not have the time. :lol:

Kevin Bonham
13-12-2020, 12:54 PM
Huge thankyou to sponsors:

David Small

Long-Steps Ballroom Dancing

Ranelagh General Store

Duca Fusion Restaurant Hobart

Kraken Fish And Chips

Le Thi Thanh Hai

James Peirce
13-12-2020, 01:05 PM
Apologies for not posting updates throughout the day, when my full game against Eddy is posted readers will understand why I did not have the time. :lol:

Knowing what playing against Eddy is like I don't blame you! :lol:

James Peirce
13-12-2020, 02:37 PM
TPR's with the crosstable on the previous page 4713

Kevin Bonham
13-12-2020, 03:16 PM
Prizes:

1st: Alastair Dyer
2nd: Kevin Bonham
3rd-4th: Toby Straton, Ian Rout
Best junior (also = 3rd): Oscar Breslin
Best unrated/newcomer: Zane Cusack
Beth Harmon prize for best female player: Mana Ryan

Terrific result for Oscar Breslin, another junior to beware of!

Crosstable with seed ratings removed:

Tas Rapid
Cross Table at round 7 sorted by score

Pos NAME Rtg T Fed Pts | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Buc1 BucT
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Dyer,Alastair 1954 TAS 6.5 | +W19 +B11 +W16 =B2 +B6 +W9 +W3 | 27.0 30.0
2 Bonham,Kevin 1968 TAS 6.0 | +B28 +W14 +B7 =W1 +B9 =W4 +B10 | 28.0 31.5
3 Straton,Toby 2059 TAS 5.0 | +B20 +W12 -B9 +W14 +B10 +W6 -B1 | 27.0 30.0
4 Rout,Ian C 2060 TAS 5.0 | +W21 -B16 +W5 +B26 +W12 =B2 =W7 | 26.0 28.5
5 Breslin,Oscar 0 TAS 5.0 | -B10 +W30 -B4 +W18 +W26 +B16 +B9 | 22.5 24.5
6 Nguyen,Tan Thanh 1867 TAS 4.5 | +B18 +W8 +B10 =BYE -W1 -B3 +W17 | 28.5 32.0
7 Powell-Davies,Thomas 1706 TAS 4.5 | +W32 +B31 -W2 =B17 =W13 +B11 =B4 | 24.0 25.0
8 Cusack,Zane 0 TAS 4.5 | +W13 -B6 -W11 +B31 +W21 +B17 =W15 | 23.0 24.5
9 Amos,Eddy 1845 TAS 4.0 | +W25 +B29 +W3 +B16 -W2 -B1 -W5 | 29.0 31.0
10 Rumley,William 2053 TAS 4.0 | +W5 +B17 -W6 +B11 -W3 +B12 -W2 | 28.5 32.0
11 Pace,Alex 0 TAS 4.0 | +B24 -W1 +B8 -W10 +B25 -W7 +W22 | 25.0 27.5
12 Patrick,John 1647 TAS 4.0 | +W23 -B3 +W19 +B13 -B4 -W10 +B20 | 24.0 27.0
13 Little,Ian 1737 TAS 4.0 | -B8 +W15 +B20 -W12 =B7 =W18 +B19 | 23.5 26.5
14 Martini,Andrew 1535 TAS 4.0 | +W22 -B2 +W29 -B3 -W19 +B24 +W21 | 22.0 24.0
15 Nagy,Alex 1562 TAS 4.0 | =W27 -B13 +W23 +B21 -W17 +B19 =B8 | 21.0 23.5
16 Lee,Kam 1649 TAS 3.5 | +B33 +W4 -B1 -W9 +B20 -W5 =B18 | 27.0 28.0
17 Djatschenko,Addison 1558 TAS 3.5 | +B30 -W10 +B28 =W7 +B15 -W8 -B6 | 25.0 27.0
18 Ebdon,Oli 1145 TAS 3.5 | -W6 =B23 +W27 -B5 +W32 =B13 =W16 | 22.5 23.5
19 Drake,Marvin 0 TAS 3.0 | -B1 +W24 -B12 +W29 +B14 -W15 -W13 | 25.0 27.0
20 Shepherd,Chris 1433 TAS 3.0 | -W3 +B25 -W13 +B22 -W16 +B26 -W12 | 22.0 24.5
21 Ryan,Lance 1502 TAS 3.0 | -B4 +W33 +B22 -W15 -B8 +W30 -B14 | 22.0 23.0
22 Ryan,John 0 TAS 3.0 | -B14 +BYE -W21 -W20 +B23 +W25 -B11 | 20.0 22.5
23 Hyde,Jack 0 TAS 3.0 | -B12 =W18 -B15 +W27 -W22 +B32 =W26 | 19.0 20.0
24 Ryan,Mana 0 TAS 3.0 | -W11 -B19 +BYE -W28 +B29 -W14 +B30 | 18.5 20.5
25 Nguyen,Le 953 TAS 3.0 | -B9 -W20 +B33 +W30 -W11 -B22 +W27 | 18.0 19.0
26 Price,Ben J 1641 NSW 2.5 | -B29 +B27 +W31 -W4 -B5 -W20 =B23 | 20.5 22.0
27 Martini,Imogen 0 TAS 2.5 | =B15 -W26 -B18 -B23 +W33 +W29 -B25 | 18.0 19.0
28 Hussain,Zakir (W) 0 TAS 2.0 | -W2 +B32 -W17 +B24 -- -- -- | 22.5 23.5
29 Joyce,Tobin 0 TAS 2.0 | +W26 -W9 -B14 -B19 -W24 -B27 +W33 | 18.5 19.5
30 Martini,Raphael 0 TAS 2.0 | -W17 -B5 +W32 -B25 +W31 -B21 -W24 | 18.5 19.5
31 Ryan,Wilhelm 0 TAS 2.0 | +BYE -W7 -B26 -W8 -B30 -B33 +W32 | 17.5 18.5
32 Beinssen,Veronika 0 TAS 1.0 | -B7 -W28 -B30 +W33 -B18 -W23 -B31 | 18.0 19.0
33 Heynes,Liam 0 TAS 1.0 | -W16 -B21 -W25 -B32 -B27 +W31 -B29 | 15.5 16.5

GoodNite
13-12-2020, 03:36 PM
I am really pleased that this has gone so well. Congratulations to all the players and especially the prize winners. We need more events like this!

David

PS. Any photos?

Kevin Bonham
13-12-2020, 05:24 PM
My games:

Hussein - Bonham

First round nightmare after a string of miscalculations in a won position. Swindle required!

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.Nf3 Nc6 5.Nc3 cxd4 6.Nxd4 Nxe5 7.Bf4 Nc6? [7...Ng6] 8.Bb5 [8.Ndb5 would have been unpleasant because 8...e5 9.Nxd5!] 8...Bd7 9.0-0 Bc5 10.Nxc6 bxc6 11.Bd3 Nf6 12.Na4 Be7 13.c4 0-0 14.cxd5 cxd5 15.Be5 Qa5 16.Nc3 Qb4?! [16...Bc6] 17.Re1 a6 18.a3 Qb6 19.Qc2 h6 [19...Ng4] 20.Re3?? d4 21.Rg3 dxc3 22.Qxc3 Kh8 23.Rd1 Rac8 24.Bc4 Bb5 25.b3 Bxc4 26.bxc4 Qc5 27.Rd7 Qxc4 28.Rxe7 Qxc3?? [28...Qe2 wins queen] 29.Bxc3 [I'd only calculated 29.Rxc3 Rxc3 30.Bxc3 Nd5 winning] 29...Rc4 [29...Nd5 30.Bxg7+ Kh7 31.Bb2 draw] 30.h3 Rfc8?? [30...Ne4 31.Bxg7+ Kg8 32.Bxf8+ Kxf8 33.Rd7 Nxg3 34.fxg3 Rc3 with winning chances] 31.Bxf6 gxf6 32.Rxf7 f5 33.Rg6 Rc1+ 34.Kh2 Re1 35.Rxh6+ Kg8 36.Ra7 Rcc1 37.Rxa6? [37.h4 f4 38.Kh3 cooks the swindle and white wins] 37...f4! 38.g3?? [38.g4 still drew eg 38...Rc2 39.Kg2 Ree2 40.Kf3 Rxf2+ 41.Ke4 Rce2+ 42.Kd4 f3 43.Rhxe6 Rxe6 44.Rxe6 Ra2 45.Re5 f2 46.Rf5 Rxa3 47.Rxf2 Rxh3] 38...f3 39.g4 Rg1 40.Rg6+ Kf7 41.Raxe6 Rg2# 0-1

Bonham - Martini

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.Nc3 a6 4.g3 Nc6 5.Bg2 Qc7 6.0-0 Nf6 7.Re1 d6 8.d3 g6 9.Bf4 Bg7? The cause of most of black's subsequent problems. [9...Nd7] 10.e5! dxe5 11.Nxe5 Nxe5 12.Bxe5 Qd8 13.Ne4 0-0 14.Nxc5 Ra7 15.d4 b6 16.Nd3 Bb7 17.Bxb7 Rxb7 18.Qf3 Rd7 19.c3 Rd5 20.Nb4 Rb5 21.a4 Rxb4 22.cxb4 Qd5 23.Qxd5 Nxd5 24.Bxg7 Kxg7 25.b5 axb5 26.axb5 h5 27.Ra7 Rd8 28.Rxe6 Nb4 29.Ree7 Rxd4 30.Rxf7+ Kh6 31.h4 Rd1+ 32.Kg2 Nd3 33.Rh7# 1-0

Powell-Davies - Bonham

1.d4 d5 2.g3 Nf6 3.Bg2 c5 4.c3 Nc6 5.Nf3 e6 6.0-0 Bd6 7.b3 e5?! 8.dxe5 Nxe5 9.Bg5 Be6 [9...0-0 10.Bxf6 Nxf3+ 11.Bxf3 Qxf6 12.Qxd5 Rd8 with some compensation] 10.Nxe5 Bxe5 11.f4 Bc7 12.Bxd5?? An unlucky miscalculation [12.f5 Bc8 is very bad for black but maybe not as bad as I feared. 13.Bxf6 Qxf6 14.Bxd5 0-0] 12...Qxd5 13.Bxf6 gxf6 14.Qc2 Bf5 15.Rd1 Qe6 16.Qd2 Rd8 17.Qe1 Qe3+ 18.Kg2 Qe4+ 19.Kg1 Rxd1 20.Qxd1 Bh3 0-1

Bonham - Dyer.

1.Nf3 Nf6 2.g3 d5 3.Bg2 c6 4.0-0 Nbd7 5.d4 e6 6.Nbd2 Bd6 7.e4 Nxe4 8.Nxe4 dxe4 9.Ng5 f5!? [9...Nf6 This makes for a much more fun game than 10.Nxe4 Nxe4 11.Bxe4 when I think black is objectively OK but, as Alastair said after the game, in great danger of dying of boredom] 10.Nxe6 [10.f3!?] 10...Qe7 11.Nf4 Nf6 12.Ne2 Be6 13.Bf4 0-0-0 14.b3 Bxf4 15.Nxf4 g5 16.Nxe6 Qxe6 17.Qd2 g4 18.h4 gxh3 19.Bxh3 h5 20.Qa5 [20.Qf4 Ng4 21.Rae1=] 20...Ng4 21.Qxa7 h4 [21...e3! 22.Qa8+ Kc7 23.Qa5+ Kb8 24.Bxg4 hxg4 25.Qe5+ Qxe5 26.dxe5 e2 this is very unpleasant if not lost for white] 22.Qa8+? [Correct line is 22.Bxg4 fxg4 23.Qa8+ Kc7 24.Qa5+ Kd7 25.Rad1 hxg3 26.fxg3 Rh3 27.Qe5=] 22...Kc7 23.Qa5+ Kb8 24.Bxg4 Rd5! 25.Qd2 fxg4 26.Qf4+ Ka8 27.Rfe1 Rxd4 28.c3 hxg3 29.fxg3 [If this is right then just 29.cxd4 wins as 29...gxf2+ 30.Kxf2 g3+ (30...Rh3 31.Rxe4) 31.Ke3 is safe] 29...Rd3 30.Re3 [30.Rxe4 Qd6 white is better(30...Rxg3+ 31.Kf2 Qxe4 32.Qxe4 Rhh3 33.Qa4+ Kb8 34.Qf4+ Ka8 35.Qxg3 wins) ] 30...Rxe3 31.Qxe3 Rf8 [31...Qf5 wins] 32.Rf1 Rf3 33.Rxf3 gxf3 34.Qf4 Qd5 35.Qf8+ Ka7 36.Qa3+ Kb8 37.Qf8+ Kc7 38.Qe7+ Kb6 39.Qb4+ Ka7 40.Qa3+ Kb8 41.Qf8+ Kc7 42.Qe7+ Kb6 Draw (offered by white in the mistaken belief that 43.Qb4+ is a triple repetition.) 1/2-1/2

Amos - Bonham

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.exd5 exd5 4.Nf3 Bd6 5.Bd3 Nf6 6.h3 This line can be somewhat annoying. 6...0-0 7.0-0 c6 8.Bg5 Nbd7 9.Nbd2 Qc7 10.Re1 Bf4 11.Re7 [11.Bxf4 Qxf4 12.c3] 11...Bxg5 12.Nxg5 h6 13.Ngf3 Qd6 14.Qe2 Nh5 15.Re1 [15.g3!] 15...Nf4 16.Qe3 Ne6 17.Rxe6 fxe6 18.Qxe6+ [18.Nh4 first appears better] 18...Qxe6 19.Rxe6 Nf6 [19...Nb6] 20.Re5 Re8 21.Nh4 Be6 22.Ng6 Bf7 23.f4 Nd7 24.Rxe8+ Rxe8 25.Ne5 Re7 26.Kf2 Nb6 27.b3 Nc8 28.c4 Rc7 29.Ke3 [29.c5] 29...dxc4 30.bxc4 Nd6 31.Nxf7 Kxf7 32.Nf3 b5 33.c5 Nc8 34.Be4 Ne7 35.Ne5+ Kf6 36.g4 a5 37.h4 g5 38.fxg5+ hxg5 39.h5 Kg7 40.Nf3 Kh6 41.Ne5 Kg7 42.Nf3 Kh6 43.Ne5 and here I should objectively take the draw but with one minute on my clock I roll the dice and play 43...Nd5+ 44.Kf3 [44.Kd2! Ne7 45.Nf7+ Kg7 46.Nxg5 Rb7 this looks dodgy for black] 44...b4 [44...a4 45.Nxc6 Rf7+ 46.Ke2 Nc3+ 47.Ke3 Nxa2 48.Bd5 Rc7=] 45.Bg6? This loses [45.Nxc6 Rf7+ 46.Ke2 Nf6 47.Ne5 Ra7 48.Bf3 this looks won for white if the position is correct] 45...a4 46.Nf7+ [46.Bc2! b3! 47.Bxb3! axb3 48.axb3 Rb7 black should win] 46...Kg7 47.Nxg5 b3! 48.axb3 a3! 49.Ne6+ Kf6 50.Nxc7 a2 51.Nxd5+ cxd5 52.c6 a1=Q 53.c7 Qc3+ 54.Ke2 Qxc7 55.Bf5 Kg5 56.Kd3 Qb6 57.Kc3 Qa5+ 58.Kb2 Qb4 59.Ka2 Qxd4 60.Ka3 Qa7+ 61.Kb4 Qb6 62.Ka4 d4 63.b4 Qa6+ 64.Kb3 Qe2 65.Ka4 Qa2+ 66.Kb5 d3 67.Bxd3 Qd5+ 68.Kb6 Qxd3 69.b5 Kxg4 70.h6 Kg5 71.Kc6 Qc4+ 0-1

Bonham - Rout. Just got gradually worse and was in trouble when Ian made a mistake.

1.Nf3 d5 2.d4 Nf6 3.g3 e6 4.Bg2 c5 5.0-0 Nc6 6.e3 Be7 7.Nbd2 0-0 8.b3 cxd4 9.exd4 b6 10.Bb2 Ba6 11.Re1 Rc8 12.Ne5 Nb4 13.c3 Nd3 14.Nxd3 Bxd3 15.Rc1 b5 16.Qf3 Bg6 17.h3 Qa5 18.Ra1 Ne4 19.Nxe4 Bxe4 20.Qe3 Bxg2 21.Kxg2 Qb6 22.a3 Rc6 23.f4 a5 24.f5 Bf6 25.fxe6 Rxe6 26.Qf3 Qc6 27.Qf2 Rfe8 28.Rxe6 Qxe6 29.Rf1 Qe4+ 30.Kg1 h6 [30...Qd3 31.Re1 Re4] 31.h4 Bd8? Even after this black still draws 32.Qxf7+ Kh8 33.Bc1 Bxh4! 34.gxh4 Qg4+ 35.Kh1 Qh3+ 36.Kg1 Qg3+ 1/2-1/2

Rumley - Bonham

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.exd5 exd5 4.c4 Nf6 5.Nc3 Be7 6.Nf3 0-0 7.Be2 dxc4 8.Bxc4 Nbd7 9.0-0 Nb6 10.Bb3 c6 11.Re1 Bg4 12.Qd3 Nbd5 13.Bg5 Qc7?! 14.Nxd5 cxd5 15.Bxf6?! [15.Rac1 Qd6 16.Bc2 g6 17.Qe3 white is better] 15...Bxf6 16.Bxd5 Rad8 17.Be4 Bxf3 18.Bxh7+? Winning a second pawn is always tempting when you are a pawn up but your opponent will get it back. However this loses. 18...Kh8 19.gxf3 Rxd4 [19...g6 is simpler] 20.Qc2 [20.Qa3 Rh4 21.Qxf8+ Kxh7 22.Kf1 Qc4+ 23.Kg1 Qf4 will also win] 20...Rc4! 21.Qd3 Rh4 22.Be4 Qxh2+ [22...Rd8] 23.Kf1 Rd8 24.Qb5 [24.Qe3 Re8 25.Ke2 Qe5 26.Rh1 Qxb2+ 27.Qd2 Qb5+ 28.Qd3 Qh5 29.Rxh4 Bxh4 30.Kf1 f5 31.Bxf5 Bf6] 24...Bd4 25.Ke2 Qxf2+ 26.Kd3 Be5+ 27.Kc4 Qd4+ 28.Kb3 Qxb2+ 29.Ka4 Rd4+ 30.Ka5 Bc7+ 31.Qb6 axb6# 0-1

Kevin Bonham
13-12-2020, 05:26 PM
PS. Any photos?

Kam took numerous photos; I am not sure what the arrangements for these are as yet.

idledim
14-12-2020, 09:11 AM
Congratulations to the organisers on a highly successful w/e of chess. Events like the Tas. Rapid are the main reason the TCA stays afloat - and with the Tony Sturges Memorial missing this year on account of Covid19, the 2020 Bonham Cup was very important to the medium term health of the TCA.

Thanks also to everyone who was able to make it down to play.

A special thanks to the sponsors who provided extra incentive. Like David, I'm also looking forward to the pictures...

And, of course, huge congratulations to Alastair - Tasmanian Lightning & Rapid Champion in a w/e is very good work if you can get it.

Blunderbuss
14-12-2020, 01:49 PM
My game with Kam was interesting …

1. d4 d5 2. Bf4 Nf6 3. e3 c5 4. Nf3 Qb6 5. Nc3 Qxb2 6. Nb5 Na6 7. Rb1 Qxa2 8.
Ra1 Qb2 9. Rxa6 bxa6 10. Nc7+ Kd8 11. Nxa8 Ne4 12. dxc5 (12. Be2) 12... Nc3 13.
Be5 Nxd1 14. Bxb2 Nxb2 15. Ne5 Bb7 16. Nxf7+ Ke8 17. Nxh8 Bxa8 18. Bxa6 Bc6 19.
Bc8 (my plan was to extract the knight but activating the rook is better, as Toby pointed out in the café afterwards 19. Kd2) 19... g6 20. Be6 Bg7 21. Nf7 Bc3+ 22. Ke2 a5 23. f4 a4 24. Ra1
Bb5+ 25. Kf3 Bc4 26. Ne5 Bb5 27. Ra2 (in the ensuing time scramble I blundered the rook)

Kevin Bonham
17-12-2020, 09:32 AM
I've updated and corrected my rapid games with Eddie Amos and Alastair Dyer above.

Kevin Bonham
17-12-2020, 12:41 PM
The board 1 games were all filmed but Ian will have a tough time reconstructing Rumley - Patrick which featured at least one unclaimed illegal move (possibly more).

Will was in check and moved his king to another square that was also in check. John responded by legally checking him with a second piece. This was actually mate (albeit in an illegal position), but nobody noticed. Will then made another illegal move (the only sort available in that position by definition) but John replied by taking the piece that had been interposed against one of the checks. Will then legally recaptured, removing himself from check and play continued.