PDA

View Full Version : Chess.com Club Leagues Season 2

ElevatorEscapee
23-09-2020, 09:13 PM
Hi all,

I know a few Australian clubs played in the Chess.com Club Leagues inaugural season a couple of months ago.
Another season has been announced - deadline for applications is October 9th.

It looks like the goal is to attract 150 clubs.

Two divisions, based on minimum number of players, Division A (for clubs with a minimum of 10 players), and Division B (for clubs with a minimum of 5 players).

Tentative dates are November 7 through December 19, with a playoff of the top 16 clubs from each division in January 2021.

More info here:
https://www.chess.com/news/view/season-2-participating-clubs
https://www.chess.com/news/view/clubs-league-season-2-rules

Beat43210
28-09-2020, 07:10 PM
I'm only aware of Ballarat and USYD Uni chess club as the only two Australian clubs who participated in last seasons event. I'm looking forward to this season as a streamer representative for the USYD uni club. More interesting format this time around should make for some exciting action!

Kevin Bonham
28-09-2020, 11:02 PM
Noble Park and Hobart participated in the other division.

MichaelBaron
30-09-2020, 05:01 PM
MCC better make a team!

Beat43210
01-10-2020, 07:37 PM
Noble Park and Hobart participated in the other division.

Nice to hear that there were other teams involved in the other division. I know USYD will be playing again in the larger division. Should be a good time once everything kicks off!

Thomas P-D
10-10-2020, 09:24 AM
I've just signed Hobart up for the new season :) Looking forward to it!

ElevatorEscapee
07-11-2020, 09:51 AM
This is due to start this weekend.

A difference this time around is that there will be two rapid games, and then two blitz (3+2) games.

Aussie clubs compete against each other in round 1:

Division A (larger clubs, 10+ players)
University of Sydney v Ballarat (to be played Sunday, 5pm)

Division B (smaller clubs, 5+ players)
Hobart v Noble Park

Best of luck everyone!

Thomas P-D
07-11-2020, 12:30 PM
Division B (smaller clubs, 5+ players)
Hobart v Noble Park

We'll be playing the rapid at 8pm tomorrow night and the blitz at 9:15pm. Good luck to all the Aussie teams this weekend :)

Beat43210
10-11-2020, 12:32 PM
University of Sydney won both the rapid and blitz portion in their match against Ballarat.

Scary moment for both sides as Ballarat went from 10.5 - 7.5 needing only one more point to win to a 10.5 - 10.5 situation where a thrilling time scramble on a mid-level board to finalise the whole rapid portion. Best part is I captured the whole thing on my twitch stream.

USYD won by a more convincing margin of 3 in the blitz portion. Good start for USYD on their path to qualifying for the knockout stage

ElevatorEscapee
10-11-2020, 07:53 PM
University of Sydney won both the rapid and blitz portion in their match against Ballarat.

Scary moment for both sides as Ballarat went from 10.5 - 7.5 needing only one more point to win to a 10.5 - 10.5 situation where a thrilling time scramble on a mid-level board to finalise the whole rapid portion. Best part is I captured the whole thing on my twitch stream.

USYD won by a more convincing margin of 3 in the blitz portion. Good start for USYD on their path to qualifying for the knockout stage

Thanks for the stream, I watched the live stream at the end after my games had finished, then re-watched from the start. The only issue I had is I couldn't quite hear the audio of the person you were talking with, so had to ramp up the volume.

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/795810307
(Warning - there may be some not safe for work swear words - I didn't listen that carefully!)

Beat43210
11-11-2020, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the stream, I watched the live stream at the end after my games had finished, then re-watched from the start. The only issue I had is I couldn't quite hear the audio of the person you were talking with, so had to ramp up the volume.

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/795810307
(Warning - there may be some not safe for work swear words - I didn't listen that carefully!)

Sorry about the audio issue. I did check it before we started but I guess I lowered my friend a tad too much! Glad to see you enjoyed it despite my average understanding and my friend's above average understanding of the game.

There is some light swearing given it is my own space where I do my own thing on my own channel and no-one is particularly bothered about how I conduct myself. Until chess.com, USYD or twitch says otherwise, that is unlikely to change. Then again, there isn't much to be mad about in the world of chess! Last time I managed to cover half of USYD's games and got 24c for my efforts through ad revenue! I'll see if I can maintain streaming for the whole season for the remaining 7 weeks + knockouts (if we make it)

Side note: My channel design needs an overhaul, It is outdated by at least 2 years. I need to get on that.

Beat43210
17-11-2020, 06:29 PM
Round 2 took place with USYD chess club taking on the infamous flaming tigers chess club. It was a good matchup! Here's the VOD link for the next two weeks https://www.twitch.tv/videos/803834745

Beat43210
04-01-2021, 09:31 AM
Minor update for this very small overseas tournament:

After 7 weeks of play, the USYD chess club has finished in 9th place/36 in the swiss section and as such qualified for the knockout bracket of this seasons clubs league. Ballarat chess club finished 29th.

The top 16 teams have been seeded into a single-elimination knockout bracket where they will play one match with two equally weighted segments (Rapid 15/2 and blitz 3/2). In both segments both teams must provide a minimum of 10 players. The team with the most board points at the end of each segment wins the segment. Winning both segments will win the match for a club.

USYD will be competing against 8th seed Uttara Central Chess Club this Friday at 9PM UTC+11.

I will admit the tiebreaker rules are quite bullshit. In the event each club wins one segment a piece, the higher seeded club automatically wins the match. This means that for this match (and likely the rest of the bracket) USYD will have to win both segments to progress through the tournament while Uttara only has to win one segment.

While Uttara did beat USYD during the swiss phase of the tournament in both sections, USYD has since picked up a strong set of players who are ready to not only play against some strong Bangladesh? players but also get revenge for single-handingly delaying the whole playoff by a week after scheduling hell ensued. By scheduling hell, I mean only being available to play between 12am and 5am our time and refusing to compromise whatsoever that our admin went to all other 14 teams to unamiously agree to delay the whole playoff by a week. Not only did it work but also got us a good match time as a result on a friday after complaining about it to the tournament admins!

There is hardly any good prizes in the tournament but winning this match will guarantee 1x six month diamond membership to distribute between the 20 or so active players in the team (lol).

I'll be broadcasting the match on my own twitch channel. I'll write a message here closer to the date in case anyone here wants to watch some of the games with some (1600) commentary :D