PDA

View Full Version : 2nd $300 Online Blitz Tournament (Sunday 19th April 1pm AEST)

JackRodgers
14-04-2020, 12:45 PM
After a very successful turnout for the first Online Blitz Chess Tournament with over 60 people registered we're going for Round 2! Please share!

Make sure you enter before Friday to get your early-bird entry fee!

I'll be hosting and streaming a second Online Blitz Chess MONEY tournament this Sunday 19th April (1pm AEST; 3am UTC) on Chess.com. The tournament is open to ANY chess players globally and will be a good opportunity to stay connected while we're all isolated.

The prize fund is $300 dollars split by the following;

1st - $125
2nd - $75
3rd - $50

Biggest upset (by FIDE rating) - $25
Best Junior - $25

U1700 prize - One hour of free online coaching from Jack Rodgers Chess awarded to one randomly selected participant below 1700 FIDE.

Enter by paying your $5AUD at the following Paypal link: paypal.me/2ndOnlineBlitzEntry

Once you have entered/paid you can request to join the tournament club here: https://www.chess.com/club/2nd-online-blitz-chess-money-tournament?fbclid=IwAR3ZhG9tpqkplFGsTkQskTmLmoprAM Gk0BzEFLxXZFBsbNGhf_6O3s248TU

Please see the blog below for main and additional details below;

https://www.chess.com/blog/IMJackRodgers/2nd-300-online-blitz-money-tournament-1pm-18th-april-aest

Hope to see you all there,
Jack.

jammo
14-04-2020, 02:10 PM
https://www.chess.com/blog/IMJackRodgers/2nd-300-online-blitz-money-tournament-1pm-18th-april-aest

Hope to see you all there,
Jack.

I worry about a blog site called “IMJackRodgers” when Jack Rodgers appears to be an untitled player rated 2125.

Lighty
14-04-2020, 05:16 PM
Bit of a curious name, if you're going to do something like that most would choose GM instead of IM. A name is just a name though, and the fact that his rating is 2125 doesn't detract from teaching ability. What's the problem jammo?

MichaelBaron
14-04-2020, 05:52 PM
Jack, where can results of the first tourney be found?
Would love to see.

jammo
14-04-2020, 08:09 PM
Bit of a curious name, if you're going to do something like that most would choose GM instead of IM. A name is just a name though, and the fact that his rating is 2125 doesn't detract from teaching ability. What's the problem jammo?

I think from your post you have identified the problem without me having to explain it to you further. You may care to note also that I made no comment on the gentleman’s ability to teach.

JackRodgers
14-04-2020, 08:58 PM
I worry about a blog site called “IMJackRodgers” when Jack Rodgers appears to be an untitled player rated 2125.

Hey Jammo, unfortunately it was a chess.com username I made approx. age 13. As I can't change it now I tend to tell people it's a play on words with 'IM' meaning 'I Am'.. Just something I did as a silly youngster but you can see on Chess.com I'm not listed as an IM :).

JackRodgers
14-04-2020, 09:00 PM
Jack, where can results of the first tourney be found?
Would love to see.

Hey Michael,

Results of the first one here; https://www.chess.com/blog/IMJackRodgers/oleksandr-bortnyk-takes-out-the-first-300-online-open-blitz-tournament

GM Oleksandr Bortnyk took the top prize. We need some strong Aussies like yourself in the next one to take them out ;).

ER
14-04-2020, 10:08 PM
it's a play on words with 'IM' meaning 'I Am'... that's what I thought in the first place!
Not that I doubted your playing strength but if you were actually an IM I 'd know you! best of luck with the tournaments.

Frank
15-04-2020, 12:25 AM
Jack Rodgers appears to be an untitled player rated 2125.

He is NSW Champion ACF rated 2228.

Lighty
15-04-2020, 07:52 AM
I think from your post you have identified the problem without me having to explain it to you further. You may care to note also that I made no comment on the gentleman’s ability to teach.

So what were you worried about then? Just curious.

jammo
15-04-2020, 01:18 PM
Hey Jammo, unfortunately it was a chess.com username I made approx. age 13. As I can't change it now I tend to tell people it's a play on words with 'IM' meaning 'I Am'.. Just something I did as a silly youngster but you can see on Chess.com I'm not listed as an IM :).

Thanks for the explanation Jack. It’s a pity you can’t change it as clearly people like ER and Lightly can easily be confused by such things. In Victoria we have a person who has claimed to be a “3-time national champion” when his titles have been along the lines of “Australian Junior Lightning Champion” for example. In another state a chess coach states “while he was still competing in tournaments around the world” which to many people may imply that he was a player of international standard whereas he was only an average player playing in a few big Swiss events in Europe.

Chess titles aren’t that hard to obtain these days so I hope that one day you may indeed be an IM, or even FM, although there are some players who strive for years to get the FM title and still do not attain that level.

ER
15-04-2020, 02:09 PM
as clearly people like ER

Get your claws out of ER buster, it was clearly you who got cantankerously "confused" in the first place. :D
Now be a good boy, open your eyes and read again my post since it might help you to see things in a different way.

that's what I thought in the first place!
Not that I doubted your playing strength but if you were actually an IM I 'd know you! best of luck with the tournaments.

As for Lighty I am sure he can give you a lesson or three if you dared to face him in an OTB encounter (I know the Covid-19 precautions is a good excuse for the time being)
BTW running scared from Michael's challenges throughout the years cannot be exactly attributed to the virus but hey! :D :P

Jack Rodgers
15-04-2020, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the explanation Jack. It’s a pity you can’t change it as clearly people like ER and Lightly can easily be confused by such things. In Victoria we have a person who has claimed to be a “3-time national champion” when his titles have been along the lines of “Australian Junior Lightning Champion” for example. In another state a chess coach states “while he was still competing in tournaments around the world” which to many people may imply that he was a player of international standard whereas he was only an average player playing in a few big Swiss events in Europe.

Chess titles aren’t that hard to obtain these days so I hope that one day you may indeed be an IM, or even FM, although there are some players who strive for years to get the FM title and still do not attain that level.

All good. Fortunately I’m quite well-known to those who follow NSW chess winning the state championship last year along with many club and regional events so there’s little room for confusion around here.

Lighty
16-04-2020, 09:12 AM

I certainly wasn't confused at all; it appears you were though!