PDA

View Full Version : Thread requests: title changes, merging, splitting, moving posts etc

Kevin Bonham
08-04-2020, 06:27 PM
I have started a specific thread for user requests relating to threads:

* Requests for the titles of threads to be changed
* Requests for two or more existing threads to be merged
* Requests for threads to be split into two or more threads
* Requests for posts to be moved from one thread to another
* Requests for polls to be added to existing threads
* Comments that a thread is drifting off topic
(etc)

...and for any moderator replies to such requests/comments, or any discussion of such requests/comments.

(In general for requests for threads to be started, the answer is "you can do it yourself".)

The reason for this is that some posters continue to post requests to merge threads on a thread itself although regular posters should know by now that all requests relating to moderation are to be made in this section and not on the thread itself.

Action may be taken against posters who continue not to get the message on this. I've even added a note to this effect on my sigfile.

Old posts requesting thread changes will not be moved to this thread.

Requests of this kind can also be made on the moderation questions thread and may be moved here.

Requests for posts or threads to be deleted should go on the moderation questions thread.

Kevin Bonham
08-04-2020, 06:33 PM
There was a request to change the title of the Pell thread from "George Pell acquitted of historic sex abuse" to "George Pell acquitted of historical sex abuse charges".

I agreed with the request to add "charges" given that, in view of the acquittal, the position of the legal system is that it is not clearly established that the alleged abuse occurred at all (never mind who it was by if it did).

I have not at this stage changed "historic" to "historical", but this remains under consideration and open for discussion. Firstly it is apparent that the use of "historic" in this context is common and that not all dictionaries draw a firm distinction between historic (sense: of importance to history) and historical (sense: happened in the past whether important to history or not). Secondly these particular charges of abuse are both historic and historical in the sense of the distinction drawn in view of the importance of the person charged.

Patrick Byrom
06-05-2020, 01:25 PM
Could Capablanca-Fan's recent post on plastic bags and the coronavirus be moved to either of those threads, please? He seems to have forgotten that he was the one who initiated a specific thread on plastic bag restrictions :)

Kevin Bonham
06-05-2020, 01:31 PM
Could Capablanca-Fan's recent post on plastic bags and the coronavirus be moved to either of those threads, please?

Agreed; moved to plastic bag thread.

Capablanca-Fan
07-05-2020, 02:54 PM
Could Capablanca-Fan's recent post on plastic bags and the coronavirus be moved to either of those threads, please? He seems to have forgotten that he was the one who initiated a specific thread on plastic bag restrictions :)

My memory is not what it was :(

Desmond
01-06-2020, 09:19 AM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18006-Magnus-Carlsen-Invitational-April-18-May-3rd-2020/page2
Posts from #37 onwards refer to other tournaments, should not be on that thread.

ER
10-06-2020, 01:48 PM
Is it possible to correct the Worst PMs heading from "Minsters" to Ministers? Thanks in advance

Patrick Byrom
16-10-2020, 02:16 PM
Today's posts in the Australian state politics and elections thread, apart from the first one, appear to have relatively little to do with that topic. Perhaps they could find a better home in the Homeless People: Where do they Come From? thread?

Kevin Bonham
16-10-2020, 03:30 PM
Today's posts in the Australian state politics and elections thread, apart from the first one, appear to have relatively little to do with that topic. Perhaps they could find a better home in the Homeless People: Where do they Come From? thread?

Agreed and done.

ER
17-10-2020, 01:40 PM
Not sure if we need a new thread for the second leg of the Candidates which has now been moved to the spring of 2021 or we 'll still stay with the original Candidates 2020.

Kevin Bonham
17-10-2020, 01:46 PM
Not sure if we need a new thread for the second leg of the Candidates which has now been moved to the spring of 2021 or we 'll still stay with the original Candidates 2020.

We'll keep it on the same thread but I've changed the title. I'll also change the tournament name if I see a clear announcement that it is changed.

ER
17-10-2020, 01:48 PM
Cool, makes sense!

Patrick Byrom
24-10-2020, 04:37 PM
Would the ongoing discussion of crime and homelessness (and other matters) in Byron Bay in the Gotta Put somewhere thread be better off in the dedicated Byron Bay thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17774-Tales-from-Byron-Bay)?

Kevin Bonham
24-10-2020, 06:52 PM
Would the ongoing discussion of crime and homelessness (and other matters) in Byron Bay in the Gotta Put somewhere thread be better off in the dedicated Byron Bay thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17774-Tales-from-Byron-Bay)?

Agreed; done. Make the latter thread earn its existence on the forum!

ER
12-11-2020, 10:36 AM
Just to clarify, the only reason why I placed both Alex Kaplan's and Kenneth Holts condolences notes on the same thread, was that the initial MCC's announcement re their passing included both.
So I followed that format. In other words it wasn't out of disrespect. Thanks for taking care of the matter Kevin.

Capablanca-Fan
20-11-2020, 01:15 AM
Request for thread split: The Queen's Gambit TV series discussion deserves its own thread, I think.

Kevin Bonham
20-11-2020, 09:46 AM
Request for thread split: The Queen's Gambit TV series discussion deserves its own thread, I think.

Agreed and done as it seems to be a fairly major event in terms of inspiring interest in chess.

Capablanca-Fan
20-11-2020, 10:26 AM
Agreed and done as it seems to be a fairly major event in terms of inspiring interest in chess.

Thanks; much obliged.

Scott Colliver
20-11-2020, 04:45 PM
Very good move

ElevatorEscapee
24-11-2020, 07:31 AM
Minor edit request:

Dates on the initial post of the Vic Country Championship thread under the section "Round Times" be updated from:
Saturday 12th October & Sunday 13th October to Saturday 5th December & Sunday 6th December respectively.
(My fault for using last year's thread as the template - I thought I'd updated all of the dates!)

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18240-2020-Victorian-Country-Chess-Championship-Geelong-Dec-5-amp-6

[done - mod]

ER
24-11-2020, 09:49 AM
[done - mod]

Thanks mod, thanks Nigel!

ElevatorEscapee
24-11-2020, 06:22 PM
Thank you (mod) :).

.. and while I'm at it, I offer my unreserved apologies for the "(mod)uda-triangle" comment in the shoutbox the other night. :oops:

I suspect the issues were a combination of this old computer running XP that I'm using (not quite Sprouty's "em's Dino", but very close), and user error. :doh:

Patrick Byrom
05-12-2020, 06:06 PM
Perhaps the posts starting with my first post (#8) in the "Submitting Ratings for Teams Events using Vega" thread should be shifted into the dedicated Vega thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16420-Vega), as they have nothing to do with team events, and will hopefully be useful for somebody?

ER
07-12-2020, 11:45 PM
I think that thread SHOULD ASTC BE ALWAYS HELD ONLINE? has yet again lost its initial purpose. Can we have another split just before Narelle's #26? thanks (Not that some posts before that make much sense anyway but that's another story!)

ER
08-12-2020, 03:20 PM
Thank you!

ER
26-12-2020, 01:44 AM
I can see the thread "55th Ballarat Begonia Open 2021 - March 6 to March 8, 2021" promoting one of the strongest tournaments in the country, derailed into some sort of OTB chess Covid-19 precautions,
expanding to virus vaccination and other conspiratorial mumbo-jumbo! I mean demanding from the Ballarat / Begonia organisers to declare what measures would they have taken if the tournament took place today
(that's more than two months before the actual event is scheduled for) is a bit rich, particularly when the demand is made by someone who is (or was I am not sure) an organiser of a prestigious chess tournament himself!
I propose the contents posted on the mentioned thread, to be moved into a new (or already existing) thread dealing with Covid-19 OTB chess precaution measures!

Kevin Bonham
26-12-2020, 12:11 PM
I think it's inevitable at the moment that some prospective entrants will want to ask questions about COVID precautions and playing conditions that are specific to a given tournament and I'll consider those on topic for each tournament. Some of the comments in post 5 are beginning to stray off the topic of this specific tournament and if that results in any more general discussion that is off-topic I will split and move it and/or copy posts if necessary. Also if the organisers make a statement about the matter and people want to keep debating it then further debate would be likely to be moved.

Patrick Byrom
20-03-2021, 12:40 PM
Could ER's recent post in the thread "Rating Distribution in Different States" be moved to a more appropriate thread - such as "The abundance of Queensland weekenders", please? While I appreciate his positive comments about Qld organisers (which would include me, of course!), Shaun's original question was about ratings differences in different states, and ER's reply has nothing about that.

ER
20-03-2021, 02:10 PM
Could ER's recent post in the thread "Rating Distribution in Different States" be moved to a more appropriate thread - such as "The abundance of Queensland weekenders", please? While I appreciate his positive comments about Qld organisers (which would include me, of course!), Shaun's original question was about ratings differences in different states, and ER's reply has nothing about that.
Not that I care where my post is or is not moved to. I just responded to Shaun's reference to me as a person who travels a lot in Australia and overseas combining chess and holidays. This experience of mine has nothing to do with ratings.

(which would include me, of course!)
No it wouldn't! I was thinking about serious chess personalities as Stokesy and Garvin from the old squad and Alexandra, Andrew, Shaun, Dusan, Kerry of the new ones as carriers of the great Gardiner's tradition. I don't know you as an organiser or as anything else apart from a poster here and as such you are the least person I was thinking about when I wrote the said post!

Patrick Byrom
20-03-2021, 02:32 PM
Not that I care where my post is or is not moved to. I just responded to Shaun's reference to me as a person who travels a lot in Australia and overseas combining chess and holidays. This experience of mine has nothing to do with ratings.And I wasn't criticising you or your post, just suggesting that the post would be more appropriate elsewhere.

No it wouldn't! I was thinking about serious chess personalities as Stokesy and Garvin from the old squad and Alexandra, Andrew, Shaun, Dusan, Kerry of the new ones as carriers of the great Gardiner's tradition. I don't know you as an organiser or as anything else apart from a poster here and as such you are the least person I was thinking about when I wrote the said post!I'm not an Honorary Life Member of the CAQ because of my good looks :)

ER
20-03-2021, 03:12 PM
I'm not an Honorary Life Member of the CAQ because of my good looks :)
well, that's a great honour, congrats!

Kevin Bonham
20-03-2021, 05:27 PM

Agreed and moved.

Metro
06-04-2021, 08:09 AM
Oceania Seniors thread is duplicated.Thanks

Kevin Bonham
06-04-2021, 09:39 AM
Oceania Seniors thread is duplicated.Thanks

This is an unusual case because it's both an Oceania title and an Australian title. At the moment rather than deleting one as is nearly always the case with duplicates, I've locked the Oceania copy so there isn't confusion about which thread to discuss the tournaments on.

Patrick Byrom
24-04-2021, 12:00 AM
Having contributed to the mess in the thread on rating prizes, I thought I should help fix it :) This thread is about ACF planning (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?15425-ACF-Website-Down-ACF-Planning/page5), so if you are intending to move some of the posts relating to that rather than to rating prizes - and I'm not suggesting that you should - then it might be an appropriate thread to move them to.

Kevin Bonham
24-04-2021, 12:05 AM
Having contributed to the mess in the thread on rating prizes, I thought I should help fix it :) This thread is about ACF planning (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?15425-ACF-Website-Down-ACF-Planning/page5), so if you are intending to move some of the posts relating to that rather than to rating prizes - and I'm not suggesting that you should - then it might be an appropriate thread to move them to.

Ta. The ratings prizes thread seems to be jumping around quite a lot. I may have a look at moving posts tomorrow.

Garvinator
05-05-2021, 12:31 PM
I am requesting the 2021 World Championship Poll thread be given 'Important' status.

Kevin Bonham
05-05-2021, 03:01 PM
I am requesting the 2021 World Championship Poll thread be given 'Important' status.

Done.

Andrew Hardegen
06-05-2021, 01:30 PM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18455-Vega-Changing-a-result-from-a-previous-round

This post of mine may be better placed in Arbiters' Corner. Could you please move it there? I hadn't realised I was in General Chess Chat at the time.

Bill Gletsos
06-05-2021, 02:16 PM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18455-Vega-Changing-a-result-from-a-previous-round

This post of mine may be better placed in Arbiters' Corner. Could you please move it there? I hadn't realised I was in General Chess Chat at the time.Done.

Afitz
27-05-2021, 02:44 PM
[this post and next two moved from 2021 Gold Coast Open thread - mod]

Mods: There is already a GCO Thread if you can please close this one and merge.

Kevin Bonham
27-05-2021, 03:07 PM
Sorry - mucked up the flyer.

Mods: There is already a GCO Thread if you can please close this one and merge.

At a quick look I couldn't find one. I found one for Gold Cup Open which appeared to be a different event. Link?

strangerep
27-05-2021, 06:26 PM
At a quick look I couldn't find one. I found one for Gold Cup Open which appeared to be a different event. Link?

There's an old one for the 2020 Gold Coast Open [cancelled] (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17764-2020-Gold-Coast-Open-July-2nd-6th-Cancelled&highlight=gold+coast+open)
and an older one for the Gold Coast Open 2019 (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17543-Gold-Coast-Open-2019&highlight=gold+coast+open)

Maybe it's better to keep the current thread for the 2021 event, and just clean it up to have a larger set of correct information?

Patrick Byrom
04-06-2021, 05:16 PM
Perhaps the recent posts by Michael and idledim (and my reply to idledim) about indigenous abuse in the "White Privilege" thread can be moved to the appropriate thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18068-Abuse-and-Indigenous-communities-(sf-welfare))? They don't seem to have anything to do with the topic.

Metro
10-06-2021, 06:25 PM
Kindergarten chess should be in Overseas events.Thanks.

Bill Gletsos
10-06-2021, 06:50 PM
Kindergarten chess should be in Overseas events.Thanks.Moved.

ER
10-06-2021, 07:26 PM
But the heading "Something to think about" of Blackbishop's thread implies that the idea could be useful to implement in promoting kindergarten chess in Australia,
I don't see any valid reason to be moved to o/s events. Then I might be wrong so I don't really want to make an issue out of it!

Bill Gletsos
10-06-2021, 08:40 PM
But the heading "Something to think about" of Blackbishop's thread implies that the idea could be useful to implement in promoting kindergarten chess in Australia,
I don't see any valid reason to be moved to o/s events. Then I might be wrong so I don't really want to make an issue out of it!It certainly wasn’t relevant to “current and upcoming tournaments” which is for Australian tournaments. Maybe “general chess” but “Overseas” seemed fine.

ER
10-06-2021, 08:44 PM
It certainly wasn’t relevant to “current and upcoming tournaments” which is for Australian tournaments. Maybe “general chess” but “Overseas” seemed fine.

ok thanks!

Garvinator
25-06-2021, 05:53 PM
In the phase out of Swiss Perfect thread, Pat Byrom has just suggested that Vega program issues should be raised in that thread.

As ACF has now made the use of Vega as the official pairing program for ACF rated events, I think it would be a good idea that any time questions related to Vega program issues of any sort, that come up in another thread, are moved to the/a thread that is specifically dedicated to Vega pairing program issues.

This then could have a second benefit of assisting those running Vega program seminars in each 'State' as they can look at the one dedicated thread and see if there are patterns of questions in just one thread about a certain issues, or series of issues, that arbiters, or want to be arbiters, keep asking about.

Kevin Bonham
25-06-2021, 06:49 PM
I think it would be a good idea that any time questions related to Vega program issues of any sort, that come up in another thread, are moved to the/a thread that is specifically dedicated to Vega pairing program issues.

In general I'll try to do that, probably moving posts some time after the tournament is over. Also, I'm keen that the Swiss Perfect phaseout thread not become a de facto Vega main thread (which is why I moved another thread just called "Vega" over to Arbiters Corner.)

Metro
08-07-2021, 05:29 AM
This thread http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18525-GM-Misha-youngest-GM-ever!!!-2021
is duplicated here http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18515-Abhimanyu-Mishra-Becomes-Youngest-Grandmaster-In-Chess-History
Thanks

Kevin Bonham
08-07-2021, 09:53 AM
This thread http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18525-GM-Misha-youngest-GM-ever!!!-2021
is duplicated here http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18515-Abhimanyu-Mishra-Becomes-Youngest-Grandmaster-In-Chess-History

Thanks, merged and moved to General Chess Chat as likely to attract general comments not just tournament-specific comments.

Metro
20-07-2021, 01:24 PM
Please add "Suspended" to title of this thread.http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18532-Mentone-Mid-Year-Open&p=482812#post482812
Thanks.

ER
04-08-2021, 01:05 PM
I think that the last three posts starting from #55 in 2021 Victorian Champ thread, although somewhat related to the topic,
might need to be relocated in order to avoid further confusion particularly regarding clashes with other events. Thanks!

Kevin Bonham
04-08-2021, 02:16 PM
I think that the last three posts starting from #55 in 2021 Victorian Champ thread, although somewhat related to the topic,
might need to be relocated in order to avoid further confusion particularly regarding clashes with other events. Thanks!

Agreed and done.

ER
04-08-2021, 04:54 PM
thank you!

Scott Colliver
13-08-2021, 09:00 PM
The Wuhan Coronavirus thread is drifting off topic as it is discussing a posters view on who should get medical treatment

Scott Colliver
22-08-2021, 07:55 PM
The Taliban takeover of Afghanistan thread is off topic as it is discussing WW2.

Patrick Byrom
22-08-2021, 10:54 PM
The Taliban takeover of Afghanistan thread is off topic as it is discussing WW2.Some of the discussion is off-topic. Michael Baron is arguing against the US invasion of Afghanistan because he supports a policy of US isolationism in general, and I am using WWII as a counter-example to his argument.

Scott Colliver
23-08-2021, 05:47 AM
Some of the discussion is off-topic. Michael Baron is arguing against the US invasion of Afghanistan because he supports a policy of US isolationism in general, and I am using WWII as a counter-example to his argument.

WW2 is not a counter example.

Kevin Bonham
23-08-2021, 02:01 PM
Note that posts to the Taliban thread declaring other posts to that thread to be off topic are themselves off topic and likely to be deleted.

I've made a ruling that allows for discussion of World War II as an example of principle within certain limits.

Scott Colliver
23-08-2021, 04:49 PM
Can you please reconsider your decision and ban all mention of WW2 from the Taliban thread

Scott Colliver
23-08-2021, 07:38 PM
Post 171 of the World War 1 & 2 thread is off topic, it contains nothing to do with either world war. Please delete it.

Bill Gletsos
23-08-2021, 07:50 PM
Post 171 of the World War 1 & 2 thread is off topic, it contains nothing to do with either world war. Please delete it.No.

Scott Colliver
23-08-2021, 07:54 PM
No.

Okay, then, I have asked Ian how it is on topic.

Kevin Bonham
23-08-2021, 10:32 PM
Can you please reconsider your decision and ban all mention of WW2 from the Taliban thread

I'm not going to reconsider a decision because someone doesn't like it. You need to provide reasoned arguments as to why I should reconsider it. If you do that I will consider them.

It's standard practice here that posters are entitled to query the consistency of comments posters have made on a thread with views they hold on other issues, and it's also entirely on-topic to argue that a poster's position would be a problem if generalised in certain ways to other issues. So long as it's not a deliberate threadjack because someone really wants to talk about something entirely different, or AC being silly with analogies, there's no problem and if there is then a natural thread drift into unrelated areas that can be moved.

Patrick Byrom
27-08-2021, 02:17 PM
Should the Trolley Problem thread be in Politics, rather than in Non Chess? It's not really a political issue.

Scott Colliver
27-08-2021, 03:01 PM
Should the Trolley Problem thread be in Politics, rather than in Non Chess? It's not really a political issue.

Does Philosphy count as science? Perhaps it could be in that section.

Patrick Byrom
28-08-2021, 06:22 PM
Does Philosphy count as science? Perhaps it could be in that section.A few commentators think that philosophy can be reduced to a branch of science (https://blog.apaonline.org/2018/01/25/the-problem-with-scientism/). But I agree with the author of that article - science is based on philosophy.

There is a sub-section of "Non-Chess" titled "Religion and Science", which contains a lot of philosophical discussion. But non-theological philosophical discussions have been fairly rare, so I don't think we need a separate thread.

Kevin Bonham
29-08-2021, 01:39 AM
It's something of an artefact of the history of debates on this board that we even have a section called "religion and science". Philosophy is neither but talks about both; I doubt anyone would care much if philosophy threads went in there too but for the time being I moved it to generic non-chess.

Metro
12-09-2021, 01:43 PM
Can a mod.place a "cancelled" note on the title, please? Thanks in advance.http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18545-Mentone-Mid-Year-Open-(take-two)&p=485247#post485247

Ian Murray
18-09-2021, 01:22 PM
Thread drift from #3100 in the Wuhan Coronavirus thread - suggest move to Asylum Seekers