PDA

View Full Version : Gardiner Chess Online

Shaun94
30-03-2020, 07:21 PM
Gardiner Chess, like many other institutions around Australia, are currently moving towards many online options both for learning chess and playing.

As the Official partner of ChessKid.com in Australia we ran our first official online competition today with great success.

We had around 100 participants taking part in a 7 round blitz tournament (5 + 1) without issue. We will be sending ribbons to the prize winners in the coming days.

Gardiner Chess will also be offering online lessons (via zoom) beginning next week with various levels dependent on level of ability from experienced chess coaches.

Our next online junior tournament will be this Thursday at midday. If you have any questions please get in touch.

email: scurtis@gardinerchess.com.au
Facebook posts about the tournaments can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/gardinerchess/
phone (9-5 Monday to Friday): (07) 5522 7221

antichrist
30-03-2020, 07:27 PM
Congratulations and success.

Shaun94
30-03-2020, 07:35 PM
Congratulations and success.

Thank you, we are of course looking to provide chess to as many children as possible. At this stage we have directed our attention to our clients in Queensland however there is no reason other juniors from interstate can't participate.

bundys_bro
02-04-2020, 08:14 AM
Any chance of running Open events at all??

Afitz
02-04-2020, 11:41 AM
Any chance of running Open events at all??

That will be the next step once we make sure we have these things running smoothly. I know CAQ is looking into this as well.

StokesyRedcliff
06-04-2020, 07:53 PM
Congratulations to Andrew and Shaun and all at Gardiner Chess on your online Junior Chess success already.
The CAQ is also looking at running Open online events and a number of different options are being considered.
A number of CAQ Clubs are also running online Chess Events for their Club Members as well on the nights they would normally meet.
Good luck to everyone trying out something new or different in these testing times!

Shaun94
23-04-2020, 10:24 AM
Gardiner Chess is now running online Chess Lessons (via zoom) as well as having a successful schedule of online chess tournaments for juniors. I hope to see many juniors taking part in these events, for more information please see: www.gardinerchessonline.com.au

Patrick Byrom
24-04-2020, 01:59 PM
Gardiner Chess is now running online Chess Lessons (via zoom) as well as having a successful schedule of online chess tournaments for juniors. I hope to see many juniors taking part in these events, for more information please see: www.gardinerchessonline.com.auI hope everything goes well.

The PM's advice today (https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2020/apr/24/australia-coronavirus-latest-updates-nsw-victoria-queensland-covid-19-testing-scott-morrison-latest-news) should hopefully allow OTB chess in schools to resume in the near future:

On schools, confirmation – and this is in the medical expert advice – the AHPPC’s document being released today – confirmation that the 4 sq metre rule, and the 1.5m distancing between students during classroom activities is not appropriate and not required. I can’t be more clear than that. The advice cannot be more clear than that.

The 1.5m in classrooms and the 4 sq metre rule is not a requirement of the expert medical advice in classrooms.

Shaun94
25-04-2020, 12:21 PM
I hope everything goes well.

The PM's advice today (https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2020/apr/24/australia-coronavirus-latest-updates-nsw-victoria-queensland-covid-19-testing-scott-morrison-latest-news) should hopefully allow OTB chess in schools to resume in the near future:

On schools, confirmation – and this is in the medical expert advice – the AHPPC’s document being released today – confirmation that the 4 sq metre rule, and the 1.5m distancing between students during classroom activities is not appropriate and not required. I can’t be more clear than that. The advice cannot be more clear than that.

The 1.5m in classrooms and the 4 sq metre rule is not a requirement of the expert medical advice in classrooms.

I believe the Queensland Teachers union is strongly against schools going back to normal in term 2, the medical professionals are suggesting one thing teachers union don't agree. I don't foresee chess in schools being back to normal in Queensland until at least July but that's just my prediction. There is various information around some of which contradicts itself so we shall see.

Patrick Byrom
25-04-2020, 01:18 PM
I believe the Queensland Teachers union is strongly against schools going back to normal in term 2, the medical professionals are suggesting one thing teachers union don't agree. I don't foresee chess in schools being back to normal in Queensland until at least July but that's just my prediction. There is various information around some of which contradicts itself so we shall see.I do expect schools to go back to normal in the second half of Term 2, but I agree that chess won't return until Term 3.