PDA

View Full Version : Firouzja loses on time to Carlsen with K+B+3P vs K+B

Kevin Bonham
31-12-2019, 12:21 AM
From World Blitz championship. White flagged in this position despite the increment, a clear loss on time under current Laws because of helpmate possibilities.

8/4k3/4P3/3B2P1/4P1K1/8/3b4/8 w - - 0 1

The position appears to be dead drawn with best play if black is careful.

Kevin Bonham
31-12-2019, 12:24 AM
Tarjei J. Svensen @TarjeiJS
1m
Firouzja is making an appeal because he claims Carlsen was destructing [sic] him by saying something in Norwegian, according to the Chief Arbiter on NRK. Takis says the result stands because Firouzja accepted it. #rapidblitz

Kevin Bonham
31-12-2019, 12:27 AM
Tarjei J. Svensen @TarjeiJS
1m
NRK just replayed the video. The only "noise" Carlsen made was a low "damn" when he blundered before. There is nothing here. #rapidblitz

BlairMandla
31-12-2019, 09:45 AM
Unfortunately rules and rules.
Although sometimes I do prefer the internet rules...

On a side note, I cannot stand when people attempt to double-dip in appeals... You cannot say something distracted you, not claim or raise the issue immediately, lose the game and then decide to appeal the issue you failed to raise after the game. I get it might of been in frustration, but its really cements the fact your appeal is garbage.

Jesper Norgaard
31-12-2019, 12:11 PM
Firouzja will perhaps learn something from this incident

(1) learn the rules, so you can make a complaint about the opponent disturbing you ("damn") then you will most likely get a time compensation, which would have been very beneficial at the end. It would be typical to get a minute if Carlsen admits he inadvertently disturbed Firouzja by cursing. I'm sure he would have because he is always a great sportsman, and I'm also sure he did not do it to disturb Firouzja.
(2) you can only avoid losing on time when your opponent has no material left, although a few exceptions exist like you have a lone queen, the opponent has a lone knight. Alireza was clearly stunned that Black can win this with a single bishop - probably because in online chess, if White exceeds the time limit, it is a draw. Learn the rules kid!
(3) With the white king on h5 and the black bishop on f4, 1.g6 wins because of 1...Kf6 2.e7 Kxe7 3.g7 and promotes, or 1...Be5 2.Kh6 Kf8 3.e7+ Kxe7 4.g7 Bxg7+ 5.Kxg7. On the other hand Carlsen blundered with Bd2 and Bf4 when keeping it in the diagonal with Bc3 or Be5 would keep the draw. and only as response to Kg6 or Kh6 to play Bd2 or Bf4 and it is still a draw.
(4) Don't use all your time trying to find the win, just Blitz out moves like Carlsen
(5) Don't make useless appeals when you have clearly lost on time, and has not protested the disturbance during the game.

Firouzja is only 16, and he will probably see this in a different light when the adrenaline rush has left his body. If not, he will only risk being called a sore loser.

Anyone remembers Irina Krush' long-winded appeal in an Open letter after the Armageddon game against Anna Zatonskih?

MichaelBaron
31-12-2019, 10:56 PM
not a draw, despite Magnus having no pawns to queen :).

Garrett
01-01-2020, 11:58 AM

White must be careful !!

Kevin Bonham
04-01-2020, 12:14 AM
Chessbase report on this incident has the full video:

https://en.chessbase.com/post/magnus-carlsen-and-kateryna-lagno-are-world-blitz-champions

At about 10:06 in the video white has three seconds on his clock as he starts his move, but accidentally knocks over his king, reinstates it, but has flagged by the time he presses the clock.

Kerry Stead
04-01-2020, 12:42 PM
The other bit to notice at the end of the game is that the players do not shake hands & 'agree' on a result ... rather the arbiter simply approaches the table & places the kings in the centre of the board to show that game is a win for black ... and the players seem shocked at this!

Garvinator
04-01-2020, 02:18 PM
Kevin, I think you can add this situation to your list of different sports where top participants have been caught out for being ignorant of the rules.