PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Olympiad selections speculation (sf Aus Masters)

Vlad
20-12-2019, 11:40 PM
Cheng is still just one point back, so it's not quite over yet for the victory. This event is not just a norm opportunity but also an important chance to impress Olympiad selectors with the Olympiad coming early this year.

I would say that no matter what is the result of this tournament, Bobby is highly likely to lead the Australians in the next Olympiad, while Temur is likely to be on board 2.

MichaelBaron
21-12-2019, 12:59 AM
I would say that no matter what is the result of this tournament, Bobby is highly likely to lead the Australians in the next Olympiad, while Temur is likely to be on board 2.

Given that the Olympiad will be held in Russia, I would not expect Anton to skip this one...Hopefully he will be able to play. My team would be: Smirnov, Cheng, Kuybokarov, Zhao & board 5 = probably Smerdon.

ER
21-12-2019, 03:04 AM

I am sure there will be a formula to have the best Australian player lead our Olympic team in Moscow.

Smirnov, Anton
Cheng, Bobby
Tan, Justin
Kuybokarov, Temur
Morris, James

Is my preferable line-up for the green and gold squad!

BTW I suggest that opinions / discussions / comments about Australian team's composition for the 2020 Moscow Olympiad should be transferred
to another thread preferably with a poll. That way the selectors could have a vox populi at their disposal when they meet to decide the line-up!
Besides, I think it's unfair for the prestige of this tournament to be hijacked by a discussion which may seem relevant but it's not really!

Capablanca-Fan
21-12-2019, 03:24 AM
I am sure there will be a formula to have the best Australian player lead our Olympic team in Moscow.

Smirnov, Anton
Cheng, Bobby
Tan, Justin
Kuybokarov, Temur
Morris, James

Good to have a reminder about GM Justin Tan, 2515 (https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=3206882). IM James Morris should also be considered; he has bounced back strongly after the first-round loss.

BTW I suggest that opinions / discussions / comments about Australian team's composition for the 2020 Moscow Olympiad should be transferred
to another thread preferably with a poll. That way the selectors could have a vox populi at their disposal when they meet to decide the line-up!
Besides, I think it's unfair for the prestige of this tournament to be hijacked by a discussion which may seem relevant but it's not really!

Probably after the Aussie Champs, which will also be important.

MichaelBaron
21-12-2019, 10:03 AM
Good to have a reminder about GM Justin Tan, 2515 (https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=3206882). IM James Morris should also be considered; he has bounced back strongly after the first-round loss.

Probably after the Aussie Champs, which will also be important.
Opss, forgot about Justin for a moment. Yep, Given David's inactivity -definitely Justin to wrap up to 5 then.

MichaelBaron
21-12-2019, 10:05 AM

Smirnov, Anton
Cheng, Bobby
Tan, Justin
Kuybokarov, Temur
Morris, James

Currently, Temur apears to be the only GM who entered the Aus Champs so if others won't enter - I do not think the champs will matter that much.

Shaun94
21-12-2019, 10:10 PM
My pick for a possible team (if all Australian players apply) would be

Anton Smirnov
Bobby Cheng
Temur Kuybokarov
David Smerdon
Moulthun Ly

Followed closely by Zong-Yuan Zhao and Justin Tan

Kevin Bonham
21-12-2019, 10:35 PM
Note that there is an activity requirement - 30 classic rated games in 12 months ending March 16 2020. Classic games can be ACF-rated, FIDE-rated or rated in other systems that can be converted to these ratings by a known formula (eg BCF).

MichaelBaron
21-12-2019, 10:56 PM
My pick for a possible team (if all Australian players apply) would be

Anton Smirnov
Bobby Cheng
Temur Kuybokarov
David Smerdon
Moulthun Ly

Followed closely by Zong-Yuan Zhao and Justin Tan

Moulthun is the only one from the ''pack'' who is below 2500

Capablanca-Fan
22-12-2019, 04:03 AM
Kuybokarov winning the GM norm tournament while scoring two points ahead of Cheng could promote him to a higher board.

ER
22-12-2019, 04:39 AM
Note that there is an activity requirement - 30 classic rated games in 12 months ending March 16 2020. Classic games can be ACF-rated, FIDE-rated or rated in other systems that can be converted to these ratings by a known formula (eg BCF).

That's an important factor. Is it possible to have some sort of an update on games they have played so far?
But they again who are "they"?
Apart from being difficult to search, it will be like showing a preference on possible selections so forget it.
After all Interested parties and/or chess followers can do the "counting" themselves.

ER
22-12-2019, 04:39 AM
Kuybokarov winning the GM norm tournament while scoring two points ahead of Cheng could promote him to a higher board.

Absolutely correct!

Kevin Bonham
22-12-2019, 10:28 AM
That's an important factor. Is it possible to have some sort of an update on games they have played so far?
But they again who are "they"?
Apart from being difficult to search, it will be like showing a preference on possible selections so forget it.
After all Interested parties and/or chess followers can do the "counting" themselves.

The final sentence exactly - I'm not concerned about anything I say being seen to show any preference, because it doesn't, but I just wanted to make sure people are aware of this issue when considering who might apply.

It is fairly easy to check a player's activity level in FIDE rated games to date via their profile. For the ACF the active list will show the number of classic games rated in different ratings periods, but note that some games rated in the June period won't be included (the March 2019 long weekend is not in the one-year period.)

ER
22-12-2019, 10:53 AM
It is fairly easy to check a player's activity level in FIDE rated games to date via their profile. For the ACF the active list will show the number of classic games rated in different ratings periods, but note that some games rated in the June period won't be included (the March 2019 long weekend is not in the one-year period.) (*)

(*)emphasized part of your text mine

Wow, that's indeed very important! I had already started counting from January 1st