PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Chess Para-Olympics (was 2020)

Kai
12-11-2019, 08:35 AM
Are there any details of the Para-lympiad?

Does Australia intend to send a team? If so, what eligibility criteria will be used for applications?

I am wondering how disability criteria are defined, since, unlike the paralympics, physical disabilities (apart from vision) do not have any impact upon chess playing ability.

lost
12-11-2019, 11:43 AM

Does Australia intend to send a team? If so, what eligibility criteria will be used for applications?

I am wondering how disability criteria are defined, since, unlike the paralympics, physical disabilities (apart from vision) do not have any impact upon chess playing ability.

Dear all,

As a member of the DIS Commission, I can tell you what details I know about this event as far as I understand them:

1. Round robin format of 12 teams
2. These teams will come for all continents (3 from each of Africa, America Asia and Europe)
3. Regarding disabilities, I believe this will be in accordance with the Paralympic Regulations (physical and blind) and Deaflympics (deaf) and if it isn't it will be in accordance to the respective organisations (IPCA - physical, IBCA - blind and ICCD - deaf)

lost

MichaelBaron
12-11-2019, 12:52 PM

Its quite tricky actually. RE vision for instance -some of the players are legally Blind but some are severely ''vision impaired'' and as vision-support devices (aka glasses) are getting better and better. Would be good to see those 2 as separate categories.
Re Australia sending team - I agree, it would be fantastic for us to have a team there.

ER
12-11-2019, 09:11 PM
... Would be good to see those 2 as separate categories… What do you think about deafness though? I think chesswise it's an advantage! Didn't stop Tigran Petrosian to become a world champion anyway! :D

MichaelBaron
13-11-2019, 01:03 AM
What do you think about deafness though? I think chesswise it's an advantage! Didn't stop Tigran Petrosian to become a world champion anyway! :D

This is complicated...may be harder to learn Chess for those who have hearing problems but there are some chess players who are 100% deaf yet become grandmasters.
For instance Gruenfeld (Israel) - he was a strong GM (he still plays occasionally).
Or Verlinsky who defeated Capa in 1925

lost
13-11-2019, 10:00 AM
This is complicated...may be harder to learn Chess for those who have hearing problems but there are some chess players who are 100% deaf yet become grandmasters.
For instance Gruenfeld (Israel) - he was a strong GM (he still plays occasionally).
Or Verlinsky who defeated Capa in 1925

Michael,

Regarding deafness, I believe that you have to be 60-70% deaf in your best ear, not your worst ear. The criteria for deafness especially when it comes to ICCD standards and Deaflympics procedures it is quite tough.

lost

MichaelBaron
13-11-2019, 01:39 PM
Michael,

Regarding deafness, I believe that you have to be 60-70% deaf in your best ear, not your worst ear. The criteria for deafness especially when it comes to ICCD standards and Deaflympics procedures it is quite tough.

lost

Jamie, thx for the clarification.
Anyway, since some of the top Deflympians are 100% def (e.g. Gruenfeld) it is not as much of an issue as with other disabilities. I am more curious about criteria for blindness as at least one top visually impaired player (Meshkov) is very clearly not blind and can move around (wearing thick glasses obviously) without any aids, recognises people approaching him, greets them etc. So impaired ...possibly yes but blind ...definitely no.
Another interesting question: some disabilities (e.g. hearing/vision) are not having an impact as severe as they did say 50 years ago. For example, modern glasses and hearing aids help dramatically.
And then there are players like Dukachevsky who I believe are fully
blind from birth.

lost
13-11-2019, 02:17 PM
Jamie, thx for the clarification.
Anyway, since some of the top Deflympians are 100% def (e.g. Gruenfeld) it is not as much of an issue as with other disabilities. I am more curious about criteria for blindness as at least one top visually impaired player (Meshkov) is very clearly not blind and can move around (wearing thick glasses obviously) without any aids, recognises people approaching him, greets them etc. So impaired ...possibly yes but blind ...definitely no.
Another interesting question: some disabilities (e.g. hearing/vision) are not having an impact as severe as they did say 50 years ago. For example, modern glasses and hearing aids help dramatically.
And then there are players like Dukachevsky who I believe are fully
blind from birth.

Michael,

Regarding Blind players, there are 3 categories to my understanding of this but Michael you do raise concerns and I know this is one of the things that is being looked at. So the three of blind players are as follows:

1. Totally blind - no vision at all
2. Blind with 10% vision only
3. Those who are considered legally blind by the Government but may still have some vision that is more than 10%.

I know there is a Polish GM who is based on the 3rd point and yes this does cause concern because you cannot penalise disability players in chess tournaments for this.

The Commission will be looking seriously adopting the regulations for Physically Disabled and Blind players as per the regulations of the International Paralympic Committee. As for Deaf players, we will take from Deaflymmpics and ICCD. I believe the ICCD already have the measures of Deaflympics standards for their own players.

I hope this helps to answer your question or concerns Michael. There are players who have a mental disability and they will not be allowed to play as there would need to be adopted and you would need to have chess included into the Special Olympics.

lost

MichaelBaron
13-11-2019, 09:00 PM
Michael,

Regarding Blind players, there are 3 categories to my understanding of this but Michael you do raise concerns and I know this is one of the things that is being looked at. So the three of blind players are as follows:

1. Totally blind - no vision at all
2. Blind with 10% vision only
3. Those who are considered legally blind by the Government but may still have some vision that is more than 10%.

I know there is a Polish GM who is based on the 3rd point and yes this does cause concern because you cannot penalise disability players in chess tournaments for this.

The Commission will be looking seriously adopting the regulations for Physically Disabled and Blind players as per the regulations of the International Paralympic Committee. As for Deaf players, we will take from Deaflymmpics and ICCD. I believe the ICCD already have the measures of Deaflympics standards for their own players.

I hope this helps to answer your question or concerns Michael. There are players who have a mental disability and they will not be allowed to play as there would need to be adopted and you would need to have chess included into the Special Olympics.

lost
Re mental ...it must be even more complex. I can think of at least 2 2700+ players (one was a top 3 player before) who are mildly autistic. So...not sure if they would be eligible (should they decide to play in such events).
On the positive side, irrespective of the classifications - having more disability events is an important step forward!

braindied
25-01-2020, 02:08 PM
Dear all,

As a member of the DIS Commission, I can tell you what details I know about this event as far as I understand them:

1. Round robin format of 12 teams
2. These teams will come for all continents (3 from each of Africa, America Asia and Europe)
3. Regarding disabilities, I believe this will be in accordance with the Paralympic Regulations (physical and blind) and Deaflympics (deaf) and if it isn't it will be in accordance to the respective organisations (IPCA - physical, IBCA - blind and ICCD - deaf)

lost

The regulations are posted here: https://www.fide.com/news/325

I see no Australian players listed here: https://disabled.ge/wr0

antichrist
25-01-2020, 02:52 PM

How can you say that apart from vision no impact??? I played disabled people that turned up at one of our major tournaments so the good players were busy. Well they were confined to wheel chairs and even stretchers, some could not move except for a tong in their mouth that they pushed and dragged pieces with. They would not be able to hold books or turn pages or move chess pages around at random. Some could not talk. Of course I took it easy on them but that was my big mistake and I didn't last very long. I keep that story for when teaching juniors to respect all opponents because you never know who you are playing.

MichaelBaron
25-01-2020, 08:41 PM
The regulations are posted here: https://www.fide.com/news/325

I see no Australian players listed here: https://disabled.ge/wr0

Re link: gives me ''site suspended'' message.

braindied
26-01-2020, 04:36 PM
Re link: gives me ''site suspended'' message.

Which one?
The link via the FIDE site certainly works for me - and can click through to the Commissions's website - and the list of players is a link button on right of screen.

MichaelBaron
27-01-2020, 01:19 PM
Which one?
The link via the FIDE site certainly works for me - and can click through to the Commissions's website - and the list of players is a link button on right of screen.

The disabled.ge one

Desmond
28-01-2020, 07:47 AM
The disabled.ge one

Doesn't work for me either.

The link is here: https://disabledchess.org/wr0

Bill Gletsos
25-03-2020, 07:29 AM
FIDE has announced the Para-Olympiad is rescheduled to the summer of 2021.

https://www.fide.com/news/460