PDA

View Full Version : 2020, 2021 Chess Olympiads (Cancelled)

lost
05-11-2019, 06:23 PM
Dear all,

The 2020 Chess Olympiad has been moved from Khanty Mansiysk to Moscow which makes connections much more easier for everyone.

The 1st ever Para-Olympiad, however, will still be held in Khanty Mansiysk.

lost

Kevin Bonham
05-11-2019, 08:16 PM
Dear all,

The 2020 Chess Olympiad has been moved from Khanty Mansiysk to Moscow which makes connections much more easier for everyone.

Personally I find this a relief. Small cities that are challenging to get to are becoming more and more problematic because of the size of the event. Even for Batumi airfares went up rapidly months out from the event as flights were booked out by teams.

Report here: https://ruchess.ru/en/news/all/world_chess_olympiad_2020_to_be_moved_from_khanty_ mansiysk_to_moscow_/

ER
06-11-2019, 12:38 AM
maybe they will win it for the 3rd time too after 1956 (as USSR) and 1994 (as Russia)

https://youtu.be/paiQRSpg4Aw

and to get you to the right mood:

Товарищ - всю жизнь
Ваши братья здоровья

MichaelBaron
06-11-2019, 10:48 AM
Good for team Australia - cheaper to travel to Moscow not to mention that unlike Khanta, Moscow has a lot of places of interest to visit and enjoy.

ER
06-11-2019, 04:54 PM
Good for team Australia - cheaper to travel to Moscow not to mention that unlike Khanta, Moscow has a lot of places of interest to visit and enjoy.

Only problem is that the Russians have made it very difficult (lots of red tape) for Australians to obtain visa. That's of course if things have changed since two years
ago, when I wanted to visit. I will try this time too since I will be in Europe around that time. Yes in terms of cultural, historic and of course chess value in particular
where Moscow can easily classify as the capital of the world! Well Lening oops St Petersburg might raise some objections on this but hey! За здоровье! :)

MichaelBaron
10-11-2019, 08:20 PM
According to Chess-News, The opening ceremony is planned to remain at Hanty...while the actual event is to take place in Moscow...so on that Russian based forum..everyone is discussing how it could be made possible and how ridiculous that is

Garvinator
10-11-2019, 09:18 PM
To answer one particular question:

Will it be difficult to get a visa to Russia? Now regardless of whether the event is in Moscow or Khanty, as a countries team is travelling there for a stated purpose, getting the visa 'should' be quite a bit easier, especially for the Olympiad. Those events come with letters of invitation from the organising team and can be shown, if asked at either in Australia for getting the visa, or when arriving in Russia.

Russia does not provide visas on arrival, so this needs to be organised in advance.

Furthermore, it is likely that how difficult it is to get a visa will depend on which country you are from, but Australia has a strong passport and whilst there will be red tape, travelling there for an event that will be a big deal for them, the Olympiad, should make getting the visa easier.

I would strongly advise that countries do not leave getting the visa to the last minute.

The idea of holding the delegates meeting and the Olympiad in two separate locations at the same time in the same country is absurd and should be killed off as fast as it was thought off.

MichaelBaron
11-11-2019, 12:40 AM
To answer one particular question:

Will it be difficult to get a visa to Russia? Now regardless of whether the event is in Moscow or Khanty, as a countries team is travelling there for a stated purpose, getting the visa 'should' be quite a bit easier, especially for the Olympiad. Those events come with letters of invitation from the organising team and can be shown, if asked at either in Australia for getting the visa, or when arriving in Russia.

Russia does not provide visas on arrival, so this needs to be organised in advance.

Furthermore, it is likely that how difficult it is to get a visa will depend on which country you are from, but Australia has a strong passport and whilst there will be red tape, travelling there for an event that will be a big deal for them, the Olympiad, should make getting the visa easier.

I would strongly advise that countries do not leave getting the visa to the last minute.

The idea of holding the delegates meeting and the Olympiad in two separate locations at the same time in the same country is absurd and should be killed off as fast as it was thought off.
Makes no sense to us..but perfect sense to ''Russians'' - it is all about getting more money from the Government towards organisation of the event to play with :).

lost
12-11-2019, 01:38 AM
Makes no sense to us..but perfect sense to ''Russians'' - it is all about getting more money from the Government towards organisation of the event to play with :).

Dear all,

A news announcement about the Candidates and Olympiad on FIDE website:

https://fide.com/news/200

lost

Kevin Bonham
14-11-2019, 08:35 PM
Posts moved

Posts at least mainly dealing with the 2020 Para-Olympics or 2020 Congress have now been moved to dedicated threads. Feel free to discuss scheduling issues related to any of these events on whichever thread it is at least vaguely relevant to.

Adamski
15-11-2019, 07:47 AM
You are no doubt right, Michael. Nevertheless, it is ridiculous, if one is a member of either a men's or women's team for the main Olympiad, to have to arrange travel to Khanty just for an opening ceremony. I suspect that if possible many players will not do so.

MichaelBaron
15-11-2019, 02:49 PM
You are no doubt right, Michael. Nevertheless, it is ridiculous, if one is a member of either a men's or women's team for the main Olympiad, to have to arrange travel to Khanty just for an opening ceremony. I suspect that if possible many players will not do so.

Well, the entire Russian government infrastructure is ridiculous....but it does not mean they do not like it this way :). If government funding is involved...the more they can receive for running the Ollympiad - the more is there for them to steal.

Bill Gletsos
15-11-2019, 03:28 PM
You are no doubt right, Michael. Nevertheless, it is ridiculous, if one is a member of either a men's or women's team for the main Olympiad, to have to arrange travel to Khanty just for an opening ceremony. I suspect that if possible many players will not do so.It looks like you didn't read the announcement correctly.
The opening in Khanty is for those going to Khanty.
The opening for the Olympiad in Moscow is in Moscow.

Kevin Bonham
16-11-2019, 02:09 PM
Note that the dates on the FIDE announcement changed some time after it was first put up, by one day.

The currently showing dates are:

July 29 (Khanty-Mansiysk)

The opening ceremony of the Chess Olympiad

July 30 – August 4 (Khanty-Mansiysk)

Chess Paralympiad, FIDE Congress and General Assembly

August 5 (Moscow)

The opening ceremony of the Moscow leg of the Chess Olympiad

August 6-17 (Moscow)

Main competition

August 17 (Moscow)

The closing ceremony of the Chess Olympiad

Adamski
16-11-2019, 02:11 PM
It looks like you didn't read the announcement correctly.
The opening in Khanty is for those going to Khanty.
The opening for the Olympiad in Moscow is in Moscow.
Thanks for that, Bill. Much more sensible!

ElevatorEscapee
10-12-2019, 11:33 AM
I heard on the news this morning that the World Anti Doping Authority (WADA) was banning Russia for four years from competing in international sporting events. (Athletes can compete under a neutral flag as long as they can prove they weren't involved with the doping scandal).
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-10/what-could-wadas-russian-ban-mean-going-forward/11781950

I was concerned that this might impact chess events (including the 2020 Chess Olympiad) as FIDE is considered an international sporting body and complies with WADA.
I see that FIDE have been on the front foot with this one, and believe the already announced tournaments are an exception, so can be hosted in Russia.
https://fide.com/news/229
https://tass.com/sport/1097425

However, I'm not sure if that means Russian teams or players can't participate, or if they do, it must be under a neutral flag. (I assume the chess players had nothing to do with the doping scandal).

ER
10-12-2019, 02:47 PM
(I assume the chess players had nothing to do with the doping scandal).

ahem maybe neither a couple of badminton players! :D

MichaelBaron
10-12-2019, 03:36 PM
Chess events won't be effected. Russia bought them and pre-paid for them already :).

Patrick Byrom
10-12-2019, 03:55 PM
I heard on the news this morning that the World Anti Doping Authority (WADA) was banning Russia for four years from competing in international sporting events. (Athletes can compete under a neutral flag as long as they can prove they weren't involved with the doping scandal). https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-10/what-could-wadas-russian-ban-mean-going-forward/11781950

I was concerned that this might impact chess events (including the 2020 Chess Olympiad) as FIDE is considered an international sporting body and complies with WADA. I see that FIDE have been on the front foot with this one, and believe the already announced tournaments are an exception, so can be hosted in Russia.
https://fide.com/news/229 https://tass.com/sport/1097425

However, I'm not sure if that means Russian teams or players can't participate, or if they do, it must be under a neutral flag. (I assume the chess players had nothing to do with the doping scandal).As I posted elsewhere - I assumed that it applied to the Chess Olympiad as well (which is why I didn't post in this thread):

The 2020 Chess Olympiad is safe, as Russia is hosting it. But this could have repercussions for other international chess events (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/dec/09/russia-banned-from-tokyo-olympics-and-football-world-cup):

... They will, however, still be able compete in next year’s European football championships, where they will also be one of the host countries. Individual Russian athletes will furthermore be able to compete under a neutral banner at the Olympics, providing they can prove they are drug free. Under similar conditions, 30 Russians competed at this year’s World Athletics Championships as “Authorized Neutral Athletes”.

ElevatorEscapee
10-12-2019, 08:23 PM
^^^, yes, thank you Patrick Byrom.

I did a quick check of what I thought were the relevant areas of this site before posting to make sure that no one else had raised the issue.
It was only after I had posted my comment in this area did I see that you had posted similar content in the "non-chess" forum of this site. My apologies - I assumed that posts in the "non chess" sub forum were actually unrelated to chess.

@ Michael Baron- the chess events will still be hosted, yes - but can you genuinely believe the events will not be affected if the Russian team(s) have to compete under a neutral flag?

This reminds me of the "Commonwealth of Independent States" thingy back in 1992...

Patrick Byrom
10-12-2019, 09:25 PM
^^^, yes, thank you Patrick Byrom.
I did a quick check of what I thought were the relevant areas of this site before posting to make sure that no one else had raised the issue. It was only after I had posted my comment in this area did I see that you had posted similar content in the "non-chess" forum of this site. My apologies - I assumed that posts in the "non chess" sub forum were actually unrelated to chess.No apology needed - posting the information here as well is a good idea. I almost posted in this thread myself, but thought the issue deserved a less specific thread. And finding posts about specific things on Chess Chat is a bit of a lottery :)

Bill Gletsos
25-03-2020, 07:28 AM
FIDE has announced the Olympiad is rescheduled to the summer of 2021.

https://www.fide.com/news/460

Kevin Bonham
06-09-2020, 10:50 PM
Posts moved

Posts concerning the 2022 Olympiad which was initially awarded to Belarus have been moved here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18163-2022-Olympiad

The 2021 Olympiad (deferred from 2020), at this stage to be held in Moscow, is a different event.

Also, broken record noises on this: any request for retitling of threads or moving of posts must be made in the Help and Feedback section only. Specifically retitling requests should be made here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17991-Thread-requests-title-changes-merging-splitting-moving-posts-etc

I don't rule out suspending people who keep getting this wrong over and over and over again.

Any discussion of this may occur in the Help and Feedback section only.

Kevin Bonham
02-12-2020, 10:47 PM
In the Events Commission meeting just on FIDE President Arkady Dvorkovich has said that it is almost inevitable that the 2021 and 2022 Olympiads will be cut down to one to be held in Moscow in 2022.

MichaelBaron
10-12-2020, 05:14 PM
Followed up by Budapest, 2024.

Kevin Bonham
10-12-2020, 07:25 PM
Followed up by Budapest, 2024.

Yes Budapest has been formally awarded 2024 by the General Assembly.