PDA

View Full Version : Tas Interschools Final 2019

Kevin Bonham
04-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Old news now as this was two weeks ago but I don't think it's been posted here, so ...

Results are here: https://tornelo.com/chess/orgs/ku/events/state-finals-tas--9/pairings

Mind Moves Chess School won the primary section for the first time with an overwhelming margin, 29 points of a possible 36 ahead of Ulverstone 23.5 and Princes St third on countback on 22. Clark Wagner (Zeehan) and Luwanna Beeton (Mind Moves) tied for primary honours on 8/9 with Bayani Beeton, Fletcher Jones, Monty Brown and Quinn Elliott all on 7. Luwanna Beeton is the first female player to tie for or win a Tasmanian age state title for a very long time (I am not sure exactly how long but am thinking about 30 years). Zeehan is a small mining town on the west coast so great to see a state winner from there!

Launceston College defended their secondary title with 26 from Hutchins 25 and Scotch-Oakburn 23.5. Playing in the U18 for the first time, Will Rumley won the U18 title with 8.5/9 from John Patrick 8/9 and Dannan Williams (Launceston) 7.5. (Rumley drew with Williams.)

These events are privately run by Kids Unlimited (aka Chess Kids) and the TCA from 2013 has been recognising the individual winners as state junior titleholders.

There were 76 players in the Primary and 63 in the Secondary. Congratulations to all involved.

There is an Honour Board since 2004 for team results at these events here: https://www.interschool.com.au/tasmania-honour-board.html

Afitz
06-11-2019, 01:50 PM
What do you think the chances of those teams attending the ASTC in Canberra are? I know traditionally the teams tend to go to the Kids Unlimited event in Melbourne given it's closer and run by the same organisation.

Kevin Bonham
06-11-2019, 02:13 PM
What do you think the chances of those teams attending the ASTC in Canberra are? I know traditionally the teams tend to go to the Kids Unlimited event in Melbourne given it's closer and run by the same organisation.

Based on the past record I'd say very low. The winning Tas teams are eligible to play in the ASTC as well if they want to but I don't think a Tas team has played in the ASTC since the early 2000s. Generally teams don't want to travel to play in two closely separated events.

Shaun94
06-11-2019, 02:32 PM
Just out of curiosity, with the 2 events is there a reason that Tasmanian Chess Association does not recommend or advertise the official ACF tournament instead of the Kids unlimited event?

I'm just curious as to the reasoning behind this as I know one has an entry fee, one doesn't, one also has a qualification process where I have been told the other does not. Surely this would create a more prestigious event that would be more appealing to a school if recommended by the state association.

kwoodley
06-11-2019, 03:20 PM

I sent a message via the Tasmanian Chess Association website months ago to canvass whether any Tasmanian teams might be interested in coming to the ASTC but never received a reply.

I believe that one of the motivations in choosing the Kids Unlimited National Final over the ASTC is because it's easier for schools to justify organising an interstate trip if there are large numbers of students going. I would love to see an ACF sanctioned National All Schools Championship (open to all students) established but it would be an enormous undertaking to organise.

Kevin Bonham
06-11-2019, 05:17 PM
Just out of curiosity, with the 2 events is there a reason that Tasmanian Chess Association does not recommend or advertise the official ACF tournament instead of the Kids unlimited event?

I am not replying here on behalf of the TCA, in which I currently hold only a minor role (Ratings Officer), but I can speak from personal experience including from the times when I held much more major TCA roles. I also was an arbiter of several of the then Chess Kids events on contract between 2005 and 2010, but I've had no involvement with the events since.

The story in brief is simply that the KU finals have the inside running in an event that has a monopoly over interschool chess in Tasmania.

The Kids Unlimited event is the interschool scene here and has been since the early 2000s. It is an extremely successful model - it attracts large numbers of children because it is played on school days, it seems to be very good at establishing working relations with school venues, and it is simply a better format for most of the juniors than Olympiad-style matches of four players vs four players (or whatever). A few of the juniors from these tournaments cross over into club and TCA weekend tournaments, but it is a very small proportion, and mostly the strongest ones.

Going to the KU events the players are often told about the KU national finals that they can qualify for (I think that teams that don't qualify may be able to buy places in the KU national finals, but it's more expensive). So they have a goal in mind in terms of going to "the nationals" if they perform well enough. The TCA can do whatever it wants to encourage the winning team to play in the ASTC, but the main argument for it is that it is the official ACF title, and that doesn't carry much weight with the schools, though they'll sometimes think about it. There are also arguments against - frequently greater travel cost, unfamiliarity with the competition system, and in some cases fear of uncompetitive performance. But the biggest problem is that having qualified for a final under a system they are used to, children will want to play in the final they have qualified for, and two finals often on successive weekends is a bridge too far.

The TCA's role as concerns the Kids Unlimited events is just that it recognises the individual winners as state junior champions. This decision was taken out of a sense of futility with trying to organise an individual independent junior event that had any credibility - separate state junior titles held on weekends were attracting so few players, especially in the U18 half, that they became pointless. The TCA doesn't promote the KU events beyond that - they promote themselves.

If the TCA were to contact the schools that win the events and say "We think you should play in the official ASTC instead of these unofficial KU finals" then the TCA would just make itself look silly and out of touch with reality. All the TCA can do is let the schools know about the ASTC in the hope that one day some school will play, but it may not happen unless we someday get a school so strong that the KU finals are too easy for it. And that tends not to happen, because it's rare to get multiple 1000+ strength players at the same school.