PDA

View Full Version : Sydney International Open 2020 - Cancelled

max1471
03-11-2019, 06:08 PM
The Macquarie Uni Chess Society is pleased to announce that the Sydney International Open 2020 will run from the 14th-19th April, with the venue being Macquarie University. The Blitz section of the event will be on the night of the 14th while the classical section will run from the 15th to the 19th with there being double round each day except on the 19th where there will be a single round. There will be an open section along with a challenger section (under 2000 fide).

This is a Preliminary announcement, mainly to announce that the hosts and the dates the event will take place in has been confirmed. Further information such as round times will be announced when it is confirmed.

A few words about myself. I am Max Forrester President of the Macquarie Uni Chess Society. I am taking over as chief organiser of the Sydney International Open from Paul Russell as he will be going on exchange in the Netherlands for the first half of next year. For any details about the tournament next year please email sydneyinternationalopen2020@gmail.com
Look forward to seeing as many of you there as possible!

ER
03-11-2019, 10:36 PM
Hello Max!
an excellent venue.
Amongst the problems:
not available accommodation near by.
Bus service too far from the venue.
Venue far from the CBD.
It would have been great for me since it coincides with my return from China and I could have organized to fly from Beijing to Sydney instead of Melbourne.
All in all it would be a fantastic opportunity for a great Chess holiday combining with Doeberl Cup.
I wish you all the very best!
Cheers and good luck!
E. Renzies

Paul Russell
03-11-2019, 11:08 PM
Hello Max!
an excellent venue.
Amongst the problems:
not available accommodation near by.
Bus service too far from the venue.
Venue far from the CBD.
It would have been great for me since it coincides with my return from China and I could have organized to fly from Beijing to Sydney instead of Melbourne.
All in all it would be a fantastic opportunity for a great Chess holiday combining with Doeberl Cup.
I wish you all the very best!
Cheers and good luck!
E. Renzies

Hi Renzies,
Paul Russell here (I was the organiser for the 2019 SIO)
Macquarie University now has regular metro train services (with trains every 4-10mins), with the station being a 10minute walk from the playing hall. Otherwise you have the Macquarie Centre transport interchange witch is also only a 10minute walk away as well which has all your bus services.

Since the university is in the middle of a corporate/business hub there is actually a lot of accommodation nearby. The Travelodge hotel (where a number of players stayed this year) is only a 10min walk away. You also have the Holiday Inn and other options approx. 15minutes walk from the venue.

Regarding the distance from the CBD, well I guess it definitely was not as close as when the SIO was back in Parramatta. However, I think the new metro solves a lot of the distance issues (with trains getting you from the venue to the city in 35min). And besides, don't you think it's a welcome change for tournaments to be held across Sydney instead of always in the same old leagues clubs? Central Coast players will also definitely be happier with the closer drive as well!

ER
03-11-2019, 11:18 PM
Hi Renzies,
Paul Russell here (I was the organiser for the 2019 SIO)
Macquarie University now has regular metro train services (with trains every 4-10mins), with the station being a 10minute walk from the playing hall. Otherwise you have the Macquarie Centre transport interchange witch is also only a 10minute walk away as well which has all your bus services.

Since the university is in the middle of a corporate/business hub there is actually a lot of accommodation nearby. The Travelodge hotel (where a number of players stayed this year) is only a 10min walk away. You also have the Holiday Inn and other options approx. 15minutes walk from the venue.

Regarding the distance from the CBD, well I guess it definitely was not as close as when the SIO was back in Parramatta. However, I think the new metro solves a lot of the distance issues (with trains getting you from the venue to the city in 35min). And besides, don't you think it's a welcome change for tournaments to be held across Sydney instead of always in the same old leagues clubs? Central Coast players will also definitely be happier with the closer drive as well!

Thanks Paul, now that's fantastic news. I will definitely have to seriously think of re-adjusting my plans. Cheers!

antichrist
04-11-2019, 08:46 AM
Thanks Paul, now that's fantastic news. I will definitely have to seriously think of re-adjusting my plans. Cheers!

ER you are a 2 time, I thought you be here for the inaugural Byron Bay Easter Cup but you are already booked in Canberra. Are you pursuing Lloyd Fell"s record?

ER
04-11-2019, 11:34 AM
ER you are a 2 time, I thought you be here for the inaugural Byron Bay Easter Cup but you are already booked in Canberra. Are you pursuing Lloyd Fell"s record?

having booked in Canberra is news to me, as for the Byron Bay Easter Cup I have promised you to enter if you officially announced it, regardless.
Now, let's all join forces to have the SIO a success again. It was, is and will always be a great tournament. Pleasure and honour to be a part of!

antichrist
04-11-2019, 03:23 PM
having booked in Canberra is news to me, as for the Byron Bay Easter Cup I have promised you to enter if you officially announced it, regardless.
Now, let's all join forces to have the SIO a success again. It was, is and will always be a great tournament. Pleasure and honour to be a part of!

Brian Jones worked miracles when he ran it - hopefully it will be repeated.

max1471
10-01-2020, 12:41 PM
Hi everyone, Max Forrester here
More Details about the Sydney International Open 2020
Similarly to last year the SIO will consist of four events all hosted at Macquarie University

The Sydney International Open: 15th-19th April. Round times will be 10am and 2:30pm. note this has been changed from midday and 6pm due to negative feedback from the players
Peter Parr Memorial Sydney International Challengers (SIC) (under 2000 FIDE): 15th-19th April round times will be the same as the open.
Sydney International Blitz: 14th April with play starting approximately 6:30pm. Note that this year we have opened up online registrations for the Blitz. You can still pay in cash on the day but would prefer you register online.
Macquarie University Junior Rapid play: 18th April from approx 9:30am-5pm. Note this year this section will run entirely on the Saturday instead of both the Saturday and Sunday to be more convenient to the players and organisers.

Registrations for these events will close midnight on the 13th April. Late registrations will incur a late fee of $50 and will be admitted to the tournament at the discretion of the chief Arbiter Alana.

The SIO, SIC and the blitz will be hosted at the Maquarie University Spatial Experience centre on the second floor in the conference rooms at the back ( same place as last year). The junior Rapidplay will be hosted in a different building at Macquarie Uni along Wallys Walk which is yet to be confirmed.

For the SIO and the SIC there will be a total of $14850 in prize to be won.
Registrations are open now. This is the direct link to the Trybooking page https://www.trybooking.com/book/event?eid=591889& . This is the link to the website https://siochess.com/

Please note this will be norm giving event

For Enquiries please Contact:
Chief Organiser: Max Forrester (max.forrester@students.mq.edu.au) (M) 0421780271
Chief Arbiter: Alana Chibnall (Alanachibnall@hotmail.com (M) 0408605607)

Adamski
10-01-2020, 01:57 PM
Great to hear that this is going ahead. Best wishes with the organisation, Max!

ER
10-01-2020, 05:26 PM
entered, thank you Paul & Max see you there!

Transaction successful

Thank you for using TryBooking!
Your booking
Tickets
Booking ID: 19751697-2dff-47ab-b100-0bb1d0309f03

Transaction Date: 6:20 PM - 10 January 2020
Email Address: elliott.renzies@gmail.com
Payment Type: VISA
Card Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX6685
Total: $120.50

Excellent website btw!

max1471
07-03-2020, 02:41 PM
Hi everyone, the Macquarie Uni Chess Festival , incorporating the Sydney International Open is a little over a month away guys!
The SIO and SIC run from the 15th-19th April while the Blitz sections will be on the evening of the 14th.

The link to Register is here https://www.trybooking.com/book/event?eid=591889&

The link to the website for more information is here https://siochess.com/

Early registration is encouraged to give the tournament organisers an indication of how many players we are expecting to host.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING CORONA VIRUS:

The tournament will still definitely be going ahead.
However, considering the effects of the outbreak all sections of the the tournament will be doing away with the traditional pre-match handshake. Furthermore, there will be hand sanitiser readily available right next to the tournament playing hall for all players and spectators to wash their hands regularly.

For more information regarding the outbreak in regards to Macquarie University please go to the following link https://www.mq.edu.au/about/coronavirus-faqs

Alana
10-03-2020, 07:30 PM
We are sitting at 23 entries so far across 3 divisions (12 in Open, 11 in Challengers, 1 in Under 18 Rapid). Entries are comparable to this time last year, plus being a tournament in NSW players always take forever to enter so we are not worried.

We have 5 GMs entered, and there are a few extra GMs/IMs around who have expressed interested in playing. It's shaping up to be a good tournament!

max1471
15-03-2020, 07:52 PM
Attention all participants, spectators or those otherwise involved with the Macquarie Uni Chess Festival incorporating the Sydney International Open.

As everyone would be aware, the COVID-19 (Corona virus) pandemic has reached a large number of countries, including Australia and the organisers of the Sydney International Open have all player's health and well-being in mind. Due to the latest travel restrictions put in place by the Australian Government, as well the previous advice to limit large public gatherings, the organisers have decided to cancel this year's event due to it being infeasible.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this decision to anyone who had already decided to compete in the tournament. The tournament organisers are arranging refunds for those who have entered online through Trybooking and hope this will be a speedy process. If you do not receive a refund to your entry by Monday 23 March, please contact max.forrester@students.mq.edu.au. Please also get in contact with any other questions you might have.

We look forward to having you participate in this event in future years.

Thank you,

Max Forrester,
Chief Organiser, 2020 Macquarie University Chess Festival

ER
08-05-2020, 10:00 PM
The tournament organisers are arranging refunds for those who have entered online through Trybooking and hope this will be a speedy process. If you do not receive a refund to your entry by Monday 23 March, please contact max.forrester@students.mq.edu.au.

Had forgotten about this, then checked and no refund has been received. e-mail address inaccessible from text, I would try again when I get back home!

hmm same response

The address "max.forrester@students.mq.edu.au." in the "To" field was not recognized. Please make sure that all addresses are properly formed.

Bill Gletsos
08-05-2020, 11:20 PM
Had forgotten about this, then checked and no refund has been received. e-mail address inaccessible from text, I would try again when I get back home!

hmm same response

The address "max.forrester@students.mq.edu.au." in the "To" field was not recognized. Please make sure that all addresses are properly formed.It looks like you have a full stop after the .au making the address invalid.

ER
08-05-2020, 11:26 PM
oops thanks Bill, I just copied it from the original which included the full stop to denote end of sentence! Cheers!

ER
11-05-2020, 04:59 PM
Had forgotten about this, then checked and no refund has been received.

All fixed now thanks Max for the prompt response!
As it is clearly explained in your e-mail
For some reason your (that's my) ticket was purchased in a different section on trybooking to everyone else's ticket
Look forward to seeing you Max and the other guys at the 2021 SIO! Cheers and good luck!

MichaelBaron
12-07-2020, 08:45 PM
All fixed now thanks Max for the prompt response!
As it is clearly explained in your e-mail
Look forward to seeing you Max and the other guys at the 2021 SIO! Cheers and good luck!

Hopefully 14 day wait at the NSW border will not be required for those wanting to play :(.

Shaun94
12-07-2020, 09:41 PM
Hopefully 14 day wait at the NSW border will not be required for those wanting to play :(.

Hopefully not but of course that would depend on whether Victoria can get the situation under control or not by then.

Victoria seems to be putting the country in danger of a second wave

MichaelBaron
12-07-2020, 10:20 PM
Hopefully not but of course that would depend on whether Victoria can get the situation under control or not by then.

Victoria seems to be putting the country in danger of a second wave

Absolutely....but its the fault of other states too...they refuse to take Premier....we would happily trade him in for any of yours :).Anyway, seriously speaking...I am delighted to know (or to hope at least) that all the chess events planned for next year will go ahead!