PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Australian championships & associated events

ER
09-09-2019, 02:51 PM
AUSTRALIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS & ASSOCIATED EVENTS 2020

The following text has been copied from the latest edition of ACF's newsletter. (*) Thanks to the editor Mr. Frank Low!

The ACF Council has approved arrangements for the next Australian Championship and Reserves tournament to be presented at the St George Leagues Club, 124 Princes Highway, Beverley Park (Kogarah), NSW, from Thursday 2 to Monday 13 January 2020.

The schedule provides for one round of the Championship and Reserves Tournament at 2 pm on each day except the rest day on 8 January, when the 11-round Australian Blitz Championship will be played from 2 pm.

A seven-round, subsidiary event limited to players rated below 1800 – the St George Chess Classic – will begin on 4 January and be played daily (except 8 January) from 10 am to January 11.

The main playing area will be the air-conditioned Riviera Room, with seating for up to 150 players. The club is fully licensed and has bistro facilities.

Notable at https://stgeorge.org.au/about-us/ is the club’s Dress Regulations.

Assistance with accommodation is to be offered to visiting players, with requests for billets to be considered.

The early cut-off date for entries for all events is 13 December 2019. Applications to enter the Australian Championship from players rated under 2150 will not be accepted after 6 December 2019. No entries will be accepted after 31 December 2019.

Never miss a copy of ACF's monthly news letters - good, interesting and useful read. Subscribe!!!

(*) https://mailchi.mp/d5146551dc55/australian-chess-federation-newsletter-31-august-2019?e=34db521bf8

MichaelBaron
09-09-2019, 08:37 PM
AUSTRALIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS & ASSOCIATED EVENTS 2020

The following text has been copied from the latest edition of ACF's newsletter. (*) Thanks to the editor Mr. Frank Low!

Assistance with accommodation is to be offered to visiting players, with requests for billets to be considered.

The early cut-off date for entries for all events is 13 December 2019. Applications to enter the Australian Championship from players rated under 2150 will not be accepted after 6 December 2019. No entries will be accepted after 31 December 2019.

Never miss a copy of ACF's monthly news letters - good, interesting and useful read. Subscribe!!!

(*) https://mailchi.mp/d5146551dc55/australian-chess-federation-newsletter-31-august-2019?e=34db521bf8
Hopefully, Grandmasters will be offered hotel accommodation rather than ''free arm-chair to sleep in'' at somebody's house :)

ER
10-09-2019, 03:29 AM
Hopefully, Grandmasters will be offered hotel accommodation rather than ''free arm-chair to sleep in'' at somebody's house :)

upgrade to sofas ok? :D joking apart Sydneysiders are well known for their hospitality to participants of all categories in all events! I don't think
the organisers of such a prestigious event as the Australian Championship is will make any exemption to the rule! :)

MichaelBaron
10-09-2019, 03:35 AM
upgrade to sofas ok? :D joking apart Sydneysiders are well known for their hospitality to participants of all categories in all events! I don't think
the organisers of such a prestigious event as the Australian Championship is will make any exemption to the rule! :)

I do not doubt their hospitality (billeting) ...just hope that there also good ''conditions'' offered to the GMs :)

ER
10-09-2019, 04:04 AM
I do not doubt their hospitality (billeting) ...just hope that there also good ''conditions'' offered to the GMs :)

A nostalgic yet touching posting by Steven Kerr on Fb brought to mind some blasts from the past.
Old Lloyd was known for providing some room in his flat for anyone who asked (first come first serve) - provided one was willing to accept his bigoted ranting. (some claim he didn't mean a word of what he said, - I don't subscribe to that theory)!
Also our very own Voonie was a well known giver (giving lifts to any one) as well as finding the cheapest accommodation available and offering to share to anyone from GMs to woodpushers)!

Bill Gletsos
30-09-2019, 11:28 AM
Website is now up at http://aus2020.chesschamp.net

ER
30-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Website is now up at http://aus2020.chesschamp.net

Fantastic Bill, thanks!!!

ER
30-09-2019, 07:40 PM
It promises to be a class event, as traditionally are all major chess events organized in NSW and particularly in Sydney.
Be it at Norths or as in 2020 St George, the Australian Championships promise to be an event to remember.
I am very tempted to cancel other arrangements and be a part of it once again!
To all those who haven't participated in such important events before I strongly recommend they do enter.
It's a life time chess experience!

stephen jago
15-10-2019, 12:04 PM
How do you enter online

ER
15-10-2019, 12:51 PM
How do you enter online

Hey Jabber, if they haven't posted details on the website they will soon.
You will find Sydney organisers very efficient, hospitable and helpful!
For the time being give them a call or drop them a few lines on e-mail.
Here's a reliable contact!

St George Club President
Sarwat Rewais

sarwat.rewais@gmail.com

0417 246 183

Hey Jabs, just spoke to Mr. Rewais.
He told me that all details will be published soon.
Meanwhile he suggested to drop him a line on e-mail
so they can contact you and notify you immediately when all the info's up!
Cheers mate!

Brodie
24-10-2019, 06:15 AM
I'm looking for someone to stay with for this tournament.
Please email me imchesspeople@gmail.com if I can stay with you.

lost
20-11-2019, 11:28 PM
Dear all,

I am a little confused with something: Who is the Chief Arbiter of the event?

According to the official website: https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/?page_id=217 under information it has Charles Zworestine.

According to the ratings database on FIDE which the event was registered it has Peter Tsai https://ratings.fide.com/tournament_information.phtml?event=237511

So who is the Chief Arbiter of the event? Charles Zworestine or Peter Tsai?

lost

HAHAHAHA
27-11-2019, 04:38 PM
I'm looking for someone to stay with for this tournament.
Please email me imchesspeople@gmail.com if I can stay with you.

For those of us new to Interstate travel for chess, what advice can people give r.e cheap accommodation/billeting and travel.
For billeting is there anyone looking to share or someone I can email from ACF for billeting???
For travel is anyone driving up from Melbourne and get a lift?? Am happy to pay for petrol.
Thanks guys
Yes Aus Ch/Aus Open is definitely the gold standard of Aus chess.

Tom M
30-11-2019, 08:19 AM
Does anyone know approximately when the ACF Council will publish the names of the successful applicants to the Championship?

Kevin Bonham
30-11-2019, 12:04 PM
Does anyone know approximately when the ACF Council will publish the names of the successful applicants to the Championship?

The Council doesn't normally publish them. The Council has appointed a selections committee of five Councillors (I'm the chair of this committee) and the selectors obtain lists of applicants from the organisers and make decisions then pass those on to the organisers, and they will then update the official entry list and notify players.

As a rough guide, last time decisions on the first batch of Australian applicants were sent to the organisers on 13 December, and then later entries were processed as they arrived.

Kevin Bonham
30-11-2019, 03:14 PM
Also this year there is a cutoff for players needing selection to apply by Dec 6. I expect we'll consider all the applications together.

StokesyRedcliff
12-12-2019, 07:50 PM
Early bird entry deadline is tomorrow, Friday December 13!

arosar
13-12-2019, 04:00 PM
Hello guys...

I entered the blitz tournament. But in my haste I totally forgot to input my name.

My receipt # is N121397401474. It says "payment for blitz".

Is that all good? Sorry about that.

TonyStark
28-12-2019, 05:30 PM
On the tournament schedule, it says registration is from 11am on the 2nd. Is this necessary for everyone?

Kevin Bonham
28-12-2019, 09:03 PM
Posts moved

Posts about the Koshnitsky Medal to be presented during the prizegiving, among other ACF medals, have been moved here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17830-Koshnitsky-Medal

Zelgiusfan5000
28-12-2019, 09:47 PM
Strange to see only one 2500 in this important tournament.

Kevin Bonham
28-12-2019, 10:54 PM

It is - though still a few more days to go so hope there might be more.

Interesting to keep an eye on comparisons with 2018, since both were in Sydney, but this year is one day longer in the Champs and Reserves:

Champs entries - 2018 34, 2020 19 at present
Reserves - 2018 100, 2020 88 at present
Classic - 2018 65, 2020 47 at present

I'd wait for final numbers before drawing any conclusions.

MichaelBaron
29-12-2019, 12:05 AM

and 2 of the 2400+ players are from overseas. Out of the Oz players, only one top player participating ...so...not sure its really a national championship

Zelgiusfan5000
29-12-2019, 06:31 AM
Might it have anything to do with the horrible pollution Sydney had? Although it seems fine now according to https://aqicn.org/map/sydney/.

Kevin Bonham
29-12-2019, 10:48 AM
and 2 of the 2400+ players are from overseas.

If one of those you're referring to is Raymond Song, (i) he was listed as an entry but is no longer listed so I assume he is no longer playing (ii) I believe he would have been eligible for the title, although registered to an overseas federation.

Kevin Bonham
29-12-2019, 10:49 AM
Might it have anything to do with the horrible pollution Sydney had?

This may well have had some effect on people's willingness to enter, at least early, and does interfere with using the tournament as a test for the impact on attendance of getting rid of the double round day.

MichaelBaron
29-12-2019, 11:10 AM
If one of those you're referring to is Raymond Song, (i) he was listed as an entry but is no longer listed so I assume he is no longer playing (ii) I believe he would have been eligible for the title, although registered to an overseas federation.

Right.
If Timur is out of form (he is playing chess non stop for some weeks now so may get tired) - we may get an U 2400 champion.
Reasons for not participating may vary but my sources are telling me that at least for some of the top players - the problem is lack of conditions that they would find satisfactory and having to play at their own expense and the fact that the tournament is not played over 1 week or so.

Kevin Bonham
29-12-2019, 11:24 AM
and the fact that the tournament is not played over 1 week or so.

That one hasn't been a problem in quite those specific terms in the past. 2018 was one day shorter and had Smirnov, Cheng, Illingworth, Izzat (OS), Ly, Morris, Lane as over-2400s.

Adamski
29-12-2019, 07:36 PM
Those compiling lists of entries please note that due to personal circumstances IM Gary Lane has had to withdraw from the main event.

Garvinator
29-12-2019, 08:12 PM
There has been some commentary on the 'lack' of players over 2400 in this event. As of 2019, Australia has a record 7 GM's, and I have included 2598! 0 WA Kuybokarov, Temur [GM] in that list.

But looking at the Top Open players rating list, reveals what I think is a concerning trend, and also can help to explain why the numbers for the 2020 Australia Championship are not great at the top end.

2680! 0 NSW Smirnov, Anton [GM] - Playing in Overseas tournaments
2598! 0 WA Kuybokarov, Temur [GM] - Playing in the Championship
2592!! 0 VIC Cheng, Bobby [GM] - Not participating
2582! 0 NSW Zhao, Zong-Yuan [GM] - Seemingly has moved on due to his career
2550!! 7 NSW Bjelobrk, Igor [IM] - Playing in the event
2540! 13 QLD Ly, Moulthun [GM] - Not sure where Moulthun is these days with his playing career in big tournaments
2539!! 7 ACT Ikeda, Junta [IM] - Playing in the event
2522!! 6 SA Tao, Trevor [IM] - Rarely plays outside SA. Career is well established.
2507!! 13 VIC Morris, James [IM] - Not participating. Not sure as to the reason
2483!! 0 NSW Lane, Gary W [IM] - Has withdrawn at the last minute
2431!! 6 VIC Johansen, Darryl K [GM] - Not participating
2428!! 28 QLD McClymont, Brodie [IM] - Is attempting to participate, looking for accommodation
2413! 0 VIC Dale, Ari [IM] - No
2412!! 16 VIC Wallis, Christopher [FM] - Participating
2404!! 0 WA Boyd, Tristan [FM]- No. I think Tristan does not play much outside of his home state.

GM David Smerdon would be in the above list, except that he is living overseas and so not active in Australia. (Information has now been corrected. David Smerdon has been living on the Gold Coast for the last couple of years, but other pursuits including career make playing major events difficult)

And then there is a couple of players just under 2400 who are playing.

Australia was in a fantastic position about three years ago with 5 to 6 GM and high rated players who participated in our large events, but it seems like three years on, this is not the case.

I think it is interesting to note that the 2018 and 2020 Championships are both in Sydney. Whilst the venue is very good, could there be a case made that 'regularly' holding Australia's 'main' Championship in Sydney may not be in the best interests of all the top players. I understand that this can come down to, 'which state, or set of organisers, is willing to run it', but could holding the event in Sydney each time the Championship is due to be held be a slight drag on numbers.

As in, it is always those outside of NSW that have to travel to Sydney and cough up the finances for it, rather than the Championship being rotated across Australia. So, looking ahead, could it be regarded as a rather risky endeavour to hold the event again in Sydney, instead of holding it elsewhere. This might require the ACF administrators to get ahead of the timetable and actively encourage other States/ACT to run it, which could include some financial assistance above what is currently offered.

Shaun94
29-12-2019, 08:24 PM
There has been some commentary on the 'lack' of players over 2400 in this event. As of 2019, Australia has a record 7 GM's, and I have included 2598! 0 WA Kuybokarov, Temur [GM] in that list.

But looking at the Top Open players rating list, reveals what I think is a concerning trend, and also can help to explain why the numbers for the 2020 Australia Championship are not great at the top end.

GM David Smerdon would be in the above list, except that he is living overseas and so not active in Australia.

Often the attendance of top players comes down to timing and conditions offered. This applies to championship events as well as many weekenders.

Also GM David Smerdon has been living back in Brisbane for over 2 years and has played a few events even in the last couple of months including Gardiner Chrss Gold coast Blitz and TopChess Christmas Weekender. For him and Zong-Yuan I believe family life and professional pursuits limit their availability at times.

Garvinator
29-12-2019, 08:55 PM
Also GM David Smerdon has been living back in Brisbane for over 2 years and has played a few events even in the last couple of months including Gardiner Chrss Gold coast Blitz and TopChess Christmas Weekender.
Thank you for this correction. Must have missed the information on Facebook. I will update my post accordingly. These corrections do help to provide a clearer picture of what is happening, so if any other of my information from other posters needs updating, feel free to let me know on here or via private message.

MichaelBaron
29-12-2019, 11:40 PM
If we assume that top players are to treat chess professionally, unless offered decent conditions by organisers, why should they play? Any incentive?

blackbishop
30-12-2019, 07:08 AM
I guess that for top chess players to be treated professionally, the organizers would have to be professions. How much are the people who organize these tournaments paid?

blackbishop
30-12-2019, 07:30 AM
Posts moved

Posts about the Koshnitsky Medal to be presented during the prizegiving, among other ACF medals, have been moved here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17830-Koshnitsky-Medal

As a past winner of the Koshnitsky Medal in 2011 you, more than most, appreciate the importance of giving some sort of recognition to the people who do most of the hard work in chess. Where would chess be
without the, soon to be 38, winners of the Koshnitsky Medal. Your work in maintaining Chess Chat is an invaluable contribution to the chess community.

Thanks also for creating a whole new thread devoted to the Koshnitsky Medal and also for creating a Queensland Chess History thread separate from the History of the Brisbane Chess Club thread.

MichaelBaron
30-12-2019, 11:09 AM
I guess that for top chess players to be treated professionally, the organizers would have to be professions. How much are the people who organize these tournaments paid?

I am not criticising the organisers but simply pointing out that there is no point for professionals or aspiring professionals-to-be to play in events where they do not get conditions.

NickC
30-12-2019, 01:03 PM

I disagree with the claim that organisers have to be paid to host a high-quality Championships (although obviously it would help) but with respect to your question, organisers are generally volunteers. As one of the organisers of the 2018 edition I can say that it takes an enormous effort from both the organising team and the ACF Selections Committee headed by Kevin to run this festival, so I'm grateful to those willing to take it on.

Bob1
30-12-2019, 05:04 PM
Nothing

Brodie
30-12-2019, 11:06 PM
I entered several days ago not sure why the entry list doesn't reflect this?! It appears to have been altered/updated.

Capablanca-Fan
31-12-2019, 02:31 AM
I entered several days ago not sure why the entry list doesn't reflect this?! It appears to have been altered/updated.

Lots of people want you to bring the title to QLD!

BlairMandla
31-12-2019, 10:05 AM
Tournaments like this should be held over 9 days or which 5 are work days (Saturday to following Sunday).
This allows for players to take minimal time off work.

If you want higher rated players to play, offer them the Olympiad incentive.
This will encourage those 2400-2500 players to complete not only for the Australian Champion Title but for the rights to represent the country.
As it stands now IMs/GMs rated 2400-2500 have a historically low chance of being selected to represent Australia in the Olympiad.
And before you say, what happens if a lower rated person has a super performance and wins the event, have a look at the past winners.

Ian Rout
31-12-2019, 11:33 AM
If you want higher rated players to play, offer them the Olympiad incentive.
This will encourage those 2400-2500 players to complete not only for the Australian Champion Title but for the rights to represent the country.
It's not so unusual for top players to bypass their own national championship. Off the top of my head the 2019 Russian final was missing Grischuk, Nepo, Karjakin and Svidler.

Of course Australia is not Russia. But in another sport where Australia is Australia, the national soccer coach apparently wants players to play in the EPL or equivalent to be considered for the national team.

Kevin Bonham
31-12-2019, 12:54 PM
Posts deleted

Posters are asked not to make posts advertising posts on other threads. Most users read the forum by clicking New Posts and will immediately see if any thread has a new post in it.

Any user wishing to discuss this decision in any way whatsoever may do so in the Help and Feedback section only.

Kevin Bonham
01-01-2020, 12:33 PM
It is - though still a few more days to go so hope there might be more.

Interesting to keep an eye on comparisons with 2018, since both were in Sydney, but this year is one day longer in the Champs and Reserves:

Champs entries - 2018 34, 2020 19 at present
Reserves - 2018 100, 2020 88 at present
Classic - 2018 65, 2020 47 at present

I'd wait for final numbers before drawing any conclusions.

Now showing: Champs 20, Reserves 101, Classic 53. However I'd still wait until we see the final numbers tomorrow!

Kevin Bonham
01-01-2020, 07:55 PM
Round 1 draw:

Championships (21 players) http://chess-results.com/tnr503381.aspx?lan=1&art=2&rd=1
Reserves (104 players) http://chess-results.com/tnr503388.aspx?lan=1&art=2&rd=1

MichaelBaron
01-01-2020, 08:08 PM
Round 1 draw:

Championships (21 players) http://chess-results.com/tnr503381.aspx?lan=1&art=2&rd=1
Reserves (104 players) http://chess-results.com/tnr503388.aspx?lan=1&art=2&rd=1

Interesting that 21 players are participating...i would think the organisers will invite top rated player from the Reserves to move to the championship to make it 22 and to avoid a bye.

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2020, 09:01 PM
I didnt know until fairly recently that it was possible to apply for a dispensation to enter the reservesWho told you that?

Kevin Bonham
01-01-2020, 09:17 PM
Interesting that 21 players are participating...i would think the organisers will invite top rated player from the Reserves to move to the championship to make it 22 and to avoid a bye.

The organisers don't have the discretion to do that since any promotion of an ineligible player to the Champs needs to be approved by the ACF via the selections committee.

The only available by-law for doing so says that in "exceptional circumstances" the ACF may invite an extra player to compete. Leaving aside that something that happens 50% of the time is hardly exceptional, this by-law has been used to promote willing bye-fillers in the past - usually in cases where the organisers are especially keen to avoid a bye in the top division and raise the issue well in advance. It also sometimes happens that when the issue is raised there is some narrowly rejected applicant for selection who can be promoted, but in this case there hadn't been any such applicants.

The issue of there being an odd number of entries wasn't raised until late this afternoon and that's just not enough time for a formal process to approve selection of a bye-filler in time to do the pairings.

MichaelBaron
02-01-2020, 12:25 PM
Any live games to follow?

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Any live games to follow?

There is an entry at https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/australian-championship-2020#live so if it is anywhere I expect it would be there.

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2020, 01:59 PM
There is an entry at https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/australian-championship-2020#live so if it is anywhere I expect it would be there.

All games are now showing.

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2020, 02:17 PM
Bjelobrk-Lo board is stuck on move 1. [fixed now]

Ian Rout
02-01-2020, 02:19 PM
All games are now showing.Do the nonsensical clock times mean that the transmission is on delay?

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2020, 02:24 PM
Do the nonsensical clock times mean that the transmission is on delay?

Transmission is on 30 mins delay from scheduled start.

Patrick Byrom
02-01-2020, 03:20 PM
The organisers don't have the discretion to do that since any promotion of an ineligible player to the Champs needs to be approved by the ACF via the selections committee. The only available by-law for doing so says that in "exceptional circumstances" the ACF may invite an extra player to compete. Leaving aside that something that happens 50% of the time is hardly exceptional, this by-law has been used to promote willing bye-fillers in the past - usually in cases where the organisers are especially keen to avoid a bye in the top division and raise the issue well in advance. It also sometimes happens that when the issue is raised there is some narrowly rejected applicant for selection who can be promoted, but in this case there hadn't been any such applicants. The issue of there being an odd number of entries wasn't raised until late this afternoon and that's just not enough time for a formal process to approve selection of a bye-filler in time to do the pairings.Would it still be possible to promote someone from the Reserves? It does seem a shame to have an odd number, when I'm sure there would be several willing applicants?

Ian Rout
02-01-2020, 04:25 PM
Would it still be possible to promote someone from the Reserves? It does seem a shame to have an odd number, when I'm sure there would be several willing applicants?No doubt it would be possible and in principle is desirable, but there is the risk that if somebody then withdrew (which is probably a heightened risk this year) you would be left with both a bye and a last-minute fill-in rather than an even number. I believe this has been known to happen.

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2020, 05:03 PM
No doubt it would be possible and in principle is desirable, but there is the risk that if somebody then withdrew (which is probably a heightened risk this year) you would be left with both a bye and a last-minute fill-in rather than an even number. I believe this has been known to happen.

Indeed, there was a withdrawal last time that created an odd number, and not for the first time either, though it hadn't happened in the few runnings of the event before that.

In theory if the organisers, preferably with the approval of the chief arbiter, approached the selection committee and said they had a specific player they'd like to add who was agreeable, then the committee could consider it and if three members of the committee said yes then that person could be added once that had happened. But how long that might take is hard to say and such a decision wouldn't be a formality given that entries have closed and given that there is no rejected applicant for the Champs who could have easily been added.

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2020, 08:25 PM
Two draws from the bottom half: Kargosha (his first game under AUS registration!) vs Wallis and Ng vs Puccini.

In the Reserves the top 10 seeds conceded 2 draws and 2 losses (junk round? I don't think so!)

MichaelBaron
03-01-2020, 03:27 PM
Watching the games live now on Chess24: some interesting battles.

On board 4, Solo is clear piece down after 20 moves.
P.S. Edited 3 moves later: ok....he appears to be getting some kind of threats that may make the position tricky :)

MichaelBaron
03-01-2020, 03:30 PM
Board 1, Timur has a big advantage with black after move 14 already

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2020, 04:52 PM
Watching the games live now on Chess24: some interesting battles.

On board 4, Solo is clear piece down after 20 moves.
P.S. Edited 3 moves later: ok....he appears to be getting some kind of threats that may make the position tricky :)

Not easy for me to work out what that was all about unless it was desperation because he disliked his position anyway.

MichaelBaron
03-01-2020, 05:58 PM
Not easy for me to work out what that was all about unless it was desperation because he disliked his position anyway.

He probably planned the piece sac when playing h5. The position was indeed difficult already.

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2020, 06:16 PM
Endgame disaster (though not for black) Lo - O'Chee

52.b6 Rc2+ 53.Kd6 Rd2+ 54.Kc7 Rc2+ 55.Kd6 Rd2+ 56.Kc7 Rc2+ 57.Kb8? [by advising arbiter of intention to play 57.Kd6 white can claim a draw by repetition, or if he doesn't then the position is drawn anyway] 57...Rxf2 58.Nd4? [58.Nxg7+ puts up more resistance but I think black still has good winning chances 58...Kd7 59.b7 Rxh2 60.Ka7 Ra2+ 61.Kb6 Rb2+ 62.Ka7 Kc7 63.Ne8+ Kc6 64.b8=N+ Kd5 65.Nd7 etc] 58...Kd7 59.b7 Rxh2 60.Ka7 Ra2+ 61.Kb6 Rb2+ 62.Nb5 Rxb5+ and won 0-1

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2020, 08:40 PM
I think it is interesting to note that the 2018 and 2020 Championships are both in Sydney. Whilst the venue is very good, could there be a case made that 'regularly' holding Australia's 'main' Championship in Sydney may not be in the best interests of all the top players.

2012, 2014 and 2016 were all in Victoria, so only two in the last five in Sydney.

I am currently compiling some statistics on attendance and format etc over the last 20 years or so, which I will post in a new thread.

[edit: done here http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17843-Aus-Champs-formats-and-entry-numbers so further format and entry numbers discussion, if any, may be moved there.]

Kevin Bonham
04-01-2020, 04:23 PM
Huynh - Nakauchi ouch! 28.Be5 disaster move ...

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/australian-championship-2020/3/1/8

Kevin Bonham
04-01-2020, 06:44 PM
Ian Rogers @GMIanRogers
1m
At the Australian Chess Championships today, played on a lower floor at St George Leagues Club in Sydney, the air conditioning failed today during the third round, unable to cope with 44 degrees outside. Luckily the floor with poker machines (and chess commentary) stayed cool��

Patrick Byrom
04-01-2020, 11:05 PM
Ian Rogers @GMIanRogers 1m At the Australian Chess Championships today, played on a lower floor at St George Leagues Club in Sydney, the air conditioning failed today during the third round, unable to cope with 44 degrees outside. Luckily the floor with poker machines (and chess commentary) stayed cool��Ian has already prepared for heatwave conditions, of course (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGUbfAkNSXA) :)

MichaelBaron
05-01-2020, 05:06 PM
Wallis-Ochee - white was pressing for the entire game but black managed to hold on somehow...then after swapping into an equal endgame, exploited white's mistake with timely 37...Nd5!

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2020, 05:18 PM
Wallis-Ochee - white was pressing for the entire game but black managed to hold on somehow...then after swapping into an equal endgame, exploited white's mistake with timely 37...Nd5!

Unfortunately now he throws the half point back with 43...b5?? instead of say 43...h5 and Wallis has found the swindle 44.g4! to be followed by h5 with a draw.

MichaelBaron
05-01-2020, 05:34 PM
Unfortunately now he throws the half point back with 43...b5?? instead of say 43...h5 and Wallis has found the swindle 44.g4! to be followed by h5 with a draw.
Ok I may have credited him too early...Nd5 was a very strong move so i thought he has full insight in the endgame :(.
P.S. On another note...Solo looks like he may be playing for a win.

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2020, 05:46 PM
Ok I may have credited him too early...Nd5 was a very strong move so i thought he has full insight in the endgame :(.

Probably drawn with best play as of move 48 but McGowan is going to have to be very careful ...

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2020, 05:53 PM
...and wasn't. 48.Rd8 was necessary. Totally lost after the rook swap.

bundys_bro
06-01-2020, 08:33 AM

Isn’t that just like saying the sun will rise in the East??

MichaelBaron
06-01-2020, 12:29 PM
Isn’t that just like saying the sun will rise in the East??

Based on the position at the time, Black had to be careful/resourceful just to hold :).

Kevin Bonham
06-01-2020, 07:10 PM
Kubokarov running away with the title at the moment.

Important game for Wallis re any IM norm chance he might have - a non-loss result would be very handy if he can manage it. No-one else seems to be in the mix for an IM norm at the moment at a quick look but if someone strings together a run of good results there is time for that to change.

Kevin Bonham
07-01-2020, 06:14 PM
Wallis wins!

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/australian-championship-2020/6/1/1

So ...Nd4 looks like it was a miscalculation but a fine conversion by white when given the chance.

Metro
08-01-2020, 11:16 AM
Wallis wins!

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/australian-championship-2020/6/1/1

So ...Nd4 looks like it was a miscalculation but a fine conversion by white when given the chance.
Well done,Chris :clap: That opens the door for Brodie,Igor & co.

Metro
08-01-2020, 11:30 AM
Well done,Chris :clap: That opens the door for Brodie,Igor & co.
I suspect 7 points will be enough for an IM norm for Chris.

Kevin Bonham
08-01-2020, 06:59 PM
Not sure where the results might be posted but FM Jack Puccini is the 2020 Australian Blitz Champion with a picket fence 11/11! There were 116 entries, 110 of whom appeared - tournament very efficiently run and arbited by Shaun Press, Charles Zworestine, Andrew Hardegen et al, all finished around 6 pm.

Adamski
08-01-2020, 07:58 PM
Not sure where the results might be posted but FM Jack Puccini is the 2020 Australian Blitz Champion with a picket fence 11/11! There were 116 entries, 110 of whom appeared - tournament very efficiently run and arbited by Shaun Press, Charles Zworestine, Andrew Hardegen et al, all finished around 6 pm.Huge congratulations to Jack! Picket fences are so hard to get!

Desmond
08-01-2020, 11:13 PM
Huge congratulations to Jack! Picket fences are so hard to get!

Well done, yes that is extremely impressive!

Banana
08-01-2020, 11:14 PM
Not sure where the results might be posted but FM Jack Puccini is the 2020 Australian Blitz Champion with a picket fence 11/11! There were 116 entries, 110 of whom appeared - tournament very efficiently run and arbited by Shaun Press, Charles Zworestine, Andrew Hardegen et al, all finished around 6 pm.

I see that the Australian Blitz results have been posted at: http://chess-results.com/tnr505260.aspx?lan=1&art=4 , which lists 111 participants as having actually shown up on the day.

Adamski
09-01-2020, 07:33 AM
I see that the Australian Blitz results have been posted at: http://chess-results.com/tnr505260.aspx?lan=1&art=4 , which lists 111 participants as having actually shown up on the day.Thanks. Strong and large field. St George local Clive Ng had an off day. Only 34th equal. Good result by Rooty Hill's improving female player Alaina Vincent e.g.

Kevin Bonham
11-01-2020, 07:15 PM
I don't believe any player norms in the Champs are still possible but I get, unofficially, that if Puccini beats Ikeda and then beats Bjelobrk then he misses an 11-game IM norm by a whisker (rating average 1 point below required after rounding). If anyone has calculated otherwise let me know.

Kevin Bonham
11-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Kevin Sheldrick lost in round 1 of the Reserves, has since won eight in a row and leads by a point.

Patrick Byrom
11-01-2020, 10:59 PM
Kevin Sheldrick lost in round 1 of the Reserves, has since won eight in a row and leads by a point.If he makes it to the Championships, it will at least give it some extra publicity :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjmWPAKqqSc

Desmond
12-01-2020, 09:23 AM
If he makes it to the Championships, it will at least give it some extra publicity :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjmWPAKqqSc

Nice, did he win?

Patrick Byrom
12-01-2020, 02:11 PM
Nice, did he win?He finished with $32 000, according to this ancient thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?2390-Who-Wants-to-be-a-Millionnaire) - not bad!

Patrick Byrom
12-01-2020, 03:43 PM
Kuybokarov's game is drawn, so he's guaranteed equal first - although Ikeda could still catch him.

Patrick Byrom
12-01-2020, 06:46 PM
And Sheldrick has a one point lead going into the final round as well in the Reserves, with Ross Lam the only one still with a chance of catching him.

Patrick Byrom
13-01-2020, 01:24 PM
And Sheldrick has a one point lead going into the final round as well in the Reserves, with Ross Lam the only one still with a chance of catching him.Which Lam has done by winning!

Patrick Byrom
13-01-2020, 01:33 PM
And Kuybokarov allows O'Chee to force a perpetual on Board 1, thus becoming the outright winner!

Kevin Bonham
13-01-2020, 04:36 PM
Which Lam has done by winning!

Creating a tie for the Reserves. There surprisingly isn't a by-law covering this situation and wasn't any other advance provision, so they share the tournament win and the ACF will decide later what to do re qualification for the next Champs (which could be that they are both eligible.)

Adamski
13-01-2020, 04:42 PM
Congrats to new Australian champion Kuybokarov!

MichaelBaron
13-01-2020, 05:24 PM
Well done To Timur! He got tired in the end but overall - he has been playing fantastic chess over the last 30 days or so!

Andrew Hardegen
13-01-2020, 05:38 PM
Well done To Timur! He got tired in the end but overall - he has been playing fantastic chess over the last 30 days or so!

Congratulations Temur!

Patrick Byrom
13-01-2020, 06:00 PM
Well done To Timur! He got tired in the end but overall - he has been playing fantastic chess over the last 30 days or so!I've been impressed by his determination to win every game. Congratulations!

Patrick Byrom
13-01-2020, 06:03 PM
Creating a tie for the Reserves. There surprisingly isn't a by-law covering this situation and wasn't any other advance provision, so they share the tournament win and the ACF will decide later what to do re qualification for the next Champs (which could be that they are both eligible.)Thanks for clarifying this - I was wondering what would happen after the tie.

With the concern about Championship numbers (although I know the main worry is the absence of the top players), wouldn't it be logical to admit both of them?

MichaelBaron
13-01-2020, 08:37 PM
With the concern about Championship numbers (although I know the main worry is the absence of the top players), wouldn't it be logical to admit both of them?

Agreed.

jammo
13-01-2020, 08:49 PM
Thanks for clarifying this - I was wondering what would happen after the tie.

Interesting. My quick reading of the ACF tournament by-laws seems to say that the tie resolution method shall be shown on the tournament schedule yet the tournament flyer says ties are broken “as per the ACF by-laws.” Sounds a bit circular. I noticed in passing also that the ACF titles included Australian Junior Champion but I didn’t see any mention of younger age-group titles. Perhaps the by-law on the website is not up-to-date?

Kevin Bonham
13-01-2020, 09:55 PM
Interesting. My quick reading of the ACF tournament by-laws seems to say that the tie resolution method shall be shown on the tournament schedule yet the tournament flyer says ties are broken “as per the ACF by-laws.” Sounds a bit circular. I noticed in passing also that the ACF titles included Australian Junior Champion but I didn’t see any mention of younger age-group titles. Perhaps the by-law on the website is not up-to-date?

If you mean this one: http://auschess.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/By-laws-for-ACF-Tournaments-as-at-5-Jan-2012.pdf (By-Laws for ACF Tournaments) then it is up to date as concerns the Junior issue, which is covered by the following at the head of part 2:

Junior titles ( "[junior]" ) will be awarded in the separate categories of Junior (under 18), Under 16, Under 14, Under 12, Under 10, and Under 8 and Girls (under 18), Girls Under 16, Girls Under 14, Girls Under 12, Girls Under 10, and Girls Under 8.

However the Reserves (Major) isn't one of the titles listed in part 2 so it is not clear whether the Tiebreaks requirement in part 8 is actually meant to apply to the Reserves or not as it isn't a recognised "title".

jammo
13-01-2020, 10:46 PM
If you mean this one: http://auschess.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/By-laws-for-ACF-Tournaments-as-at-5-Jan-2012.pdf (By-Laws for ACF Tournaments) then it is up to date as concerns the Junior issue, which is covered by the following at the head of part 2:

Junior titles ( "[junior]" ) will be awarded in the separate categories of Junior (under 18), Under 16, Under 14, Under 12, Under 10, and Under 8 and Girls (under 18), Girls Under 16, Girls Under 14, Girls Under 12, Girls Under 10, and Girls Under 8.

However the Reserves (Major) isn't one of the titles listed in part 2 so it is not clear whether the Tiebreaks requirement in part 8 is actually meant to apply to the Reserves or not as it isn't a recognised "title".

Thanks for the info on the junior titles (which I missed). The championship by-law wording “the winner of the Major” as opposed to “the winner(s) of the Major” implies to me that there should only be one winner who qualifies for the championship.

What are the play-off arrangements for the Juniors? I note there is a time frame allocated in the schedule for “play-offs” but I couldn’t find info as to how these were to be conducted. The tournament by-law (if I read it correctly) says if there is a play-off it has to be at the same rate as the tournament ... but don’t we have faster time control play-offs?

Bill Gletsos
13-01-2020, 10:52 PM
What are the play-off arrangements for the Juniors? I note there is a time frame allocated in the schedule for “play-offs” but I couldn’t find info as to how these were to be conducted. The tournament by-law (if I read it correctly) says if there is a play-off it has to be at the same rate as the tournament ... but don’t we have faster time control play-offs?Play-off arrangements for the Juniors is in section 5 in by-law 3 Australian Junior Chess Championships.

Kevin Bonham
13-01-2020, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the info on the junior titles (which I missed). The championship by-law wording “the winner of the Major” as opposed to “the winner(s) of the Major” implies to me that there should only be one winner who qualifies for the championship.

Yes I also think that is the intention but we have got out of the practice (if it existed) of specifying a way to resolve the tie in the event of there being one in the event conditions.

Ian Rout
14-01-2020, 09:49 AM
Yes I also think that is the intention but we have got out of the practice (if it existed) of specifying a way to resolve the tie in the event of there being one in the event conditions.
Fortunately ACF has plenty of time to decide what it wants to do about a tie in the Reserves.

Typically there are ten or so players in the Championship who might win it in a good year. The remainder have little realistic chance of winning but serve the purpose of providing a test for the top contenders. Viewed in that light, splitting hairs between players with identical scores in the Reserves is not very productive, especially when you will often get different results depending on the tie-break method.

Given the performance needed to finish near the top of the Reserves relative to those of the lower levels of the Championship it could be argued that having only one qualifier is a little conservative. I think there is a case for having the top two or three qualifying.

MichaelBaron
14-01-2020, 11:01 AM
Arranging play-offs is sometimes tricky. I can recall how some years ago there was an Aus championship tie between Speck and Johansen and it took a while to organise. For junior titles, unless its a a couple of quick blitz games right after their games end...it would be even more tricky.

jammo
14-01-2020, 01:32 PM
Fortunately ACF has plenty of time to decide what it wants to do about a tie in the Reserves.

Typically there are ten or so players in the Championship who might win it in a good year. The remainder have little realistic chance of winning but serve the purpose of providing a test for the top contenders. Viewed in that light, splitting hairs between players with identical scores in the Reserves is not very productive, especially when you will often get different results depending on the tie-break method.

Given the performance needed to finish near the top of the Reserves relative to those of the lower levels of the Championship it could be argued that having only one qualifier is a little conservative. I think there is a case for having the top two or three qualifying.

I disagree. I think one player qualifying from the Reserves is enough. Anyone who is not eligible can always apply to the ACF to enter on the grounds that they are of the appropriate standard.

In passing, in my attempts to find the relevant by-laws on the ACF website I searched “Australian Chess Federation” but the ACF website did not come up (I gave up looking after 3 pages). Is there a problem with the site not being ranked highly on search lists?

Ian Rout
14-01-2020, 02:55 PM
I disagree. I think one player qualifying from the Reserves is enough. Anyone who is not eligible can always apply to the ACF to enter on the grounds that they are of the appropriate standard.
This is true, but on the same argument you could have zero qualifiers from the Reserves and just use it as a subsidiary event.

As a general principle qualifying for higher events via the level below is the purest form of competitive structure. Only one place in the Candidates is on rating, or 1.5 allowing for rating putting a player on the short list for the wild card, the rest have to qualify. But while qualification to the Aust Championship by other mechanisms seems to err on the side of inclusiveness, qualification through the Reserves is quite stringent.

Patrick Byrom
14-01-2020, 04:21 PM
Yes I also think that is the intention but we have got out of the practice (if it existed) of specifying a way to resolve the tie in the event of there being one in the event conditions.This is also relevant. If no tie-break is specified before the event (either by the ACF or the tournament conditions) it's a bit hard on the tied players to then impose one afterwards.

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2020, 05:31 PM
In passing, in my attempts to find the relevant by-laws on the ACF website I searched “Australian Chess Federation” but the ACF website did not come up (I gave up looking after 3 pages). Is there a problem with the site not being ranked highly on search lists?

It doesn't for me on the first 5 pages either - bit of a worry. That said the Wikipedia link that comes up first has a prominent link to it.

Re Reserves qualification, I generally agree that one qualifier is enough. An issue with having more qualifiers from the Reserves who wouldn't have been selected anyway is that they will reduce the average FIDE rating of the Champs field and make norms in the Champs more difficult. However a tie for first, in the absence of any clear rule about countback or playoffs, and with the players from different states and hence any playoff after the date likely to be impractical, is a special case and I don't see any fair alternative to both of them qualifying. (Whether either of them (i) is interested (ii) would be selected anyway if they applied makes the whole thing potentially irrelevant).

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2020, 06:02 PM
Posts moved

Further (and useful) discussion re ACF website Google search issue has been moved to ACF website thread.

Garvinator
14-01-2020, 08:41 PM
(ii) would be selected anyway if they applied makes the whole thing potentially irrelevant).
Been a while since I have been in the weeds of ACF by laws, but isn't winning the Reserves meaning you get automatic qualification to the next Australian Championship?

So, since it seems rather clear that there are no playoff provisions for two or more players finishing first in the Reserves, surely both would qualify. Then it is up to them to decide if they want to play in the 2022 Australian Championship.

If having more than one player is seen as such a problem, then the ACF should shut the door on this eventually asap by re-writing the by laws to introduce either a player directly after the event. The playoff can either be for the Reserves title (Winner of the playoff finishes first, gets the title, first place prizemoney and the Reserves spot in the Championship, or the playoff is solely for the 1 place in the next Australia Championship)

I think the former would be more likely to have two players who are interested in the playoff. If the playoff was just for the Aus Champ spot, I could easily see a situation where even before the playoff, one of the players says that they are not interested in the next Aus Champ spot, where the other player is very interested.

Craig_Hall
14-01-2020, 09:10 PM
Do the FIDE regulations apply here in the absence of stated tiebreaks on the entry form or ACF rules, or is this one where the "prize" is shared by allowing both to enter?

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2020, 11:03 PM
Been a while since I have been in the weeds of ACF by laws, but isn't winning the Reserves meaning you get automatic qualification to the next Australian Championship?

You get automatic qualification if you are "the winner of the previous Australian Major". I agree with jammo in #102 that this seems at least intended to imply a single winner, and doesn't necessarily guarantee that multiple co-winners qualify.

Garvinator
15-01-2020, 12:07 AM
You get automatic qualification if you are "the winner of the previous Australian Major". I agree with jammo in #102 that this seems at least intended to imply a single winner, and doesn't necessarily guarantee that multiple co-winners qualify.

I agree with you that the wording implies one winner, but there is not further elaboration on how the 'one winner' is determined. So, with no further elaboration, and being by laws, exceptions can be made.

As I previously said, this shows a clear case where the ACF By laws need to be updated quickly to clarify what happens with more than one winner in the Australian Championship lesser division (Major/Reserves, which ever it is called).

Banana
18-01-2020, 10:19 AM
If there has to be one winner, a quick 0 1 game across the internet or arm-wrestle in 2 years time 5 mins before the start of the tournament should suffice. It doesn't have to be too complicated...

Metro
21-01-2020, 12:09 PM
Congrats to new Australian champion Kuybokarov!

He is the first Western Australian player in the 135 year history of the event to win the title.*
*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temur_Kuybokarov#cite_note-15