PDA

View Full Version : Moscow GP

MichaelBaron
25-05-2019, 10:44 AM
https://worldchess.com/

Winner of the series will get to participate in the Candidates Tournament.

Grishuk is in the final of the Moscow leg of the GP already and will play the winner of the tiebreak between Wojtashek and Nepompniashiy.

MichaelBaron
26-05-2019, 03:18 AM
The All Russian Final is coming up@!

MichaelBaron
27-05-2019, 01:30 PM
When talking about his game against Naka - Grishuk claimed he was able to calculate 15 moves deep!
If its true - its rather amazing!

Ian Rout
27-05-2019, 04:08 PM
This format of knockout two-game matches with clock-thumping tie-breaks looks a little familiar.

Was this a bit of scorched earth from the Kirsan>Makro>Malcolm dynasty that it was too late to change, or did the new management come up with it themselves?

ER
27-05-2019, 09:37 PM
When talking about his game against Naka - Grishuk claimed he was able to calculate 15 moves deep!
If its true - its rather amazing!

Michael, I watched that at the press conference covered by Chess24 He went on analyzing without a board referring to variations along the way in his
usual nonchalant way. He had them all baffled not only because of the speed of his analysis but also of its accuracy -
Moves and variations had been thoroughly checked out by the commentators who were going through those sequences during the game!
Simply amazing stuff!
I strongly believe that if he continues with this kind of form (and not stuffing up as he has done quite a few times in the past)
during the Candidates' matches he could be a very serious challenger to face Magnus in the final.

ER
27-05-2019, 09:39 PM
This format of knockout two-game matches with clock-thumping tie-breaks looks a little familiar.

Was this a bit of scorched earth from the Kirsan>Makro>Malcolm dynasty that it was too late to change, or did the new management come up with it themselves?

Whatever the format is, make sure you don't miss the GP final rounds starting tonight at 10:00 PM AEST.

I follow it at Chess24!

Kevin Bonham
28-05-2019, 01:07 AM

It's new, as a replacement for the old Swiss Grand Prix format. Swisses don't work very well when almost every game is drawn.

MichaelBaron
28-05-2019, 01:37 AM
Michael, I watched that at the press conference covered by Chess24 … He went on analyzing without a board referring to variations along the way in his
usual nonchalant way. He had them all baffled not only because of the speed of his analysis but also of its accuracy -
Moves and variations had been thoroughly checked out by the commentators who were going through those sequences during the game!
Simply amazing stuff!
I strongly believe that if he continues with this kind of form (and not stuffing up as he has done quite a few times in the past)
during the Candidates' matches he could be a very serious challenger to face Magnus in the final.

Well, he is well-known to be mega-talented...but still a long way to go from challenging Magnus. He is in his late 30's...not sure if this generation stands a chance against MC.

Ian Rout
28-05-2019, 08:54 PM
It's new, as a replacement for the old Swiss Grand Prix format. Swisses don't work very well when almost every game is drawn.Yes, I'm aware that it was a change to the previous system. I was wondering if the new boss had inherited it or had brought it in himself.

Kevin Bonham
28-05-2019, 11:03 PM
Yes, I'm aware that it was a change to the previous system. I was wondering if the new boss had inherited it or had brought it in himself.

The latter. Or brought in on his watch, at least.

MichaelBaron
29-05-2019, 10:22 PM
I was reading reviews on the Russian chess-news site.
Both players appear to be happy to wait till the Rapid games to resolve the match :).

MichaelBaron
30-05-2019, 07:24 PM
https://en.chessbase.com/post/moscow-grand-prix-2019-final-3

The Article includes crosstable with final standings.

ElevatorEscapee
31-05-2019, 07:38 PM
I enjoyed watching these games, Ian Nepomniachtchi seems to be scaling the ratings ladder.

It was also nice to see that a certain commentator hadn't slept in for the games. ;)

I was a little sad for Wojtazek though, as he seemed to have manouvered himself into winning positons, only to not take advantage of the opportunities.

What was interesting to me was the contrast in responses by both players in the interview after the final - Nepo suggested that the knockout format was harmful to good chess as players were more likely to be defensive and try to avoid losing rather than to look for winning opportunities, while Grischuk said that he preferred the format, and that he felt it suited his style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA4HA-RqL3o