PDA

View Full Version : Australian Junior 2019

Adamski
22-01-2019, 07:26 AM
Many age group and gender divisions by age. See www.dbp.education/2019/ Last round coming up. Several from Rooty Hill doing very well.

Adamski
22-01-2019, 07:33 AM
Alaina Vincent from Rooty Hill has won the U14 girls. Great result, Alaina!

Max Illingworth
22-01-2019, 07:24 PM
Congratulations to all of the prize and title winners, especially Sterling Bayaca for winning the Under 18 title with 8.5/9! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ian CCC
22-01-2019, 08:15 PM
I notice that there are a few players who, according to FIDE, are registered to federations of other countries, yet they have an Australian state listed against their name. Could someone please clarify their status in regard to nationality & receiving prizes?

Frank
22-01-2019, 09:10 PM
I notice that there are a few players who, according to FIDE, are registered to federations of other countries, yet they have an Australian state listed against their name. Could someone please clarify their status in regard to nationality & receiving prizes?

In the material given on the website under "FAQ" for the championships at http://www.dbp.education/2019/

“Who can play in the tournament?
Any Australian citizen or permanent resident who was born in 2001 or later. Those who are not Australian citizens or permanent residents should contact with Richard Gastineau-Hills - richardgh@nswjcl.org.au as they may be allowed to play at the discretion of the organisers.”

In the By-Laws for ACF Tournaments given at http://auschess.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/By-laws-for-ACF-Tournaments-as-at-5-Jan-2012.pdf

“TITLES
2. The following titles shall be recognised: Junior titles ( "[junior]" ) will be awarded in the separate categories of Junior (under 18), Under 16, Under 14, Under 12, Under 10, and Under 8 and Girls (under 18), Girls Under 16, Girls Under 14, Girls Under 12, Girls Under 10, and Girls Under 8…

3. Persons who are Australian citizens or who, in the opinion of the Council, are permanent residents of Australia shall be eligible to hold titles.”

Prizes may be a different matter.

Kevin Bonham
22-01-2019, 09:48 PM
It's worth noting that FIDE registration to AUS or otherwise has no bearing by itself on ability to be awarded Australian titles. There are people who have been Australian citizens or permanent residents for decades who have kept their original Federation, either to avoid paying the Notification Fee and possibly other fees on transfers, or because it may be useful in getting invited to norm tournaments. Also, as a player can obtain a transfer to AUS by being a temporary resident, or might in theory move overseas and renounce Australian citizenship, there could be players registered to AUS who are ineligible to be awarded Australian titles.

Ian CCC
22-01-2019, 10:03 PM
So, can we assume then that as they have a state after their names (and not a country) that either they are Australian citizens and live in the state or the Council regards them as having "permanent residence" in the state? Or, is there another reason for them being associated with a particular state?

Adamski
22-01-2019, 10:31 PM
I think that is a "yes" to the first point, Ian.
On another tack very pleased to see Rooty Hill RSL CC players pick up 4 titles: Cameron McGowan U16 open; Alaina Vincent U14 girls; Aiden Wen U10 open and Chanya Rupasinghe, U8 girls. The most titles of any club.
One "advantage" they had though - the venue was in Sydney (Summer Hill).

Bill Gletsos
23-01-2019, 06:46 AM
I think that is a "yes" to the first point, Ian.i think you don’t know what you are talking about and simply guessed.
How a player appears on the rating list simply depends on how they were added by the relevant state rating officer.
Generally all it shows is that the player is resident in that state and does not mean that they are an Australian Citizen or a permanent resident.

Adamski
23-01-2019, 09:48 AM
Thanks for clarifying that, Bill.

Peter Tsai
23-01-2019, 06:22 PM
I think that is a "yes" to the first point, Ian.
On another tack very pleased to see Rooty Hill RSL CC players pick up 4 titles: Cameron McGowan U16 open; Alaina Vincent U14 girls; Aiden Wen U10 open and Chanya Rupasinghe, U8 girls. The most titles of any club.
One "advantage" they had though - the venue was in Sydney (Summer Hill).

Only 3 titles for Rooty Hill RSL CC as Alaina Vincent was not eligible for the U14 girls title. The title went to Myiesha Maunders after a playoff with Dhwani Patel.

Adamski
23-01-2019, 07:21 PM
Only 3 titles for Rooty Hill RSL CC as Alaina Vincent was not eligible for the U14 girls title. The title went to Myiesha Maunders after a playoff with Dhwani Patel.
Thanks for that, Peter.

Thai Ly
25-01-2019, 10:29 AM
Is someone able to list the official prize and title winners? Can’t seem to find such a list in the official website.

Frank
25-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Is someone able to list the official prize and title winners? Canít seem to find such a list in the official website.

See http://www.nswjcl.org.au/AustralianJunior/2019/PairingsAndResults.htm

Thai Ly
25-01-2019, 12:26 PM
See http://www.nswjcl.org.au/AustralianJunior/2019/PairingsAndResults.htm

Already checked that page - only saw the standings and the crosstables. I want to find an actual list of the prize and title winners.

Patrick Byrom
25-01-2019, 01:35 PM
Should this be moved to "Upcoming and Current Tournaments"?

[no - I'll move it to Completed Tournaments! - mod]

Frank
25-01-2019, 04:29 PM
Already checked that page - only saw the standings and the crosstables. I want to find an actual list of the prize and title winners.

I understand, apologies.

Chris_Wallis
29-01-2019, 04:17 PM
The list of prizewinners is now available on the website: http://www.nswjcl.org.au/AustralianJunior/2019/PairingsAndResults.htm .