PDA

View Full Version : World Rapid and Blitz St Petersburg Dec 26-30

Kevin Bonham
04-12-2018, 09:28 PM
FIDE @FIDE_chess
Dear Chess Friends, FIDE World Rapid and Blitz Championships will take place in Saint Petersburg, Russia between December 25 (arrival day) and December 31 (departure day). The regulations will be published on the official FIDE website.

Tarjei J. Svensen @TarjeiJS
I hope this is the last time that a venue for a World Chess Championship is announced just 3 weeks before its scheduled start.

MichaelBaron
05-12-2018, 02:01 AM
FIDE @FIDE_chess
Dear Chess Friends, FIDE World Rapid and Blitz Championships will take place in Saint Petersburg, Russia between December 25 (arrival day) and December 31 (departure day). The regulations will be published on the official FIDE website.

Tarjei J. Svensen @TarjeiJS
I hope this is the last time that a venue for a World Chess Championship is announced just 3 weeks before its scheduled start.

On the positive side, the reason its announced so late is because they are moving it from Saudi Arabia as it was not prepared to host the Israeli players.

antichrist
05-12-2018, 08:40 AM
On the positive side, the reason its announced so late is because they are moving it from Saudi Arabia as it was not prepared to host the Israeli players.

On the negative side Russia has hijacked a few Ukrainian coast guard vessels and now being boycotted by some players.

Desmond
05-12-2018, 10:39 AM
I thought Carlsen just became the world rapid champion in London. ;)

Kevin Bonham
26-12-2018, 10:07 PM
On now. Carlsen rd 1 at https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/world-rapid-championship-2018/1/1/1

Kevin Bonham
26-12-2018, 11:00 PM
Oh dear, Magnus loses on time to Tukhaev (whoever that is) with 2R+2P vs Q+2P.

Desmond
27-12-2018, 08:20 AM
Oh dear, Magnus loses on time to Tukhaev (whoever that is) with 2R+2P vs Q+2P.

Lost the second round as well, he's now on 3/5.

MichaelBaron
27-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Carlsen did not wake up in time for the tournament I think. Round 2 - he lost to one of my chess.com regular opponents. Anyway, lets see if can come back strongly. With Magnus, as long as there is an even theoretical chance - there is always a chance!

Desmond
27-12-2018, 11:33 AM
Carlsen did not wake up in time for the tournament I think. Round 2 - he lost to one of my chess.com regular opponents. Anyway, lets see if can come back strongly. With Magnus, as long as there is an even theoretical chance - there is always a chance!

He tried the scholar's mate, and even though got a good position, fell to a pretty simple tactic later on.

ER
28-12-2018, 08:03 AM
… With Magnus, as long as there is an even theoretical chance - there is always a chance!
He is catching up! Only half a point from the leaders now (7 to 7.5).

BTW talking about noisy situations. I don't know what happens in the main playing hall, but the children screaming,
adults arguing, doors slamming in the commentators' room (Chess24) is unacceptable for a world class event.

Kevin Bonham
29-12-2018, 10:42 AM
Carlsen managed to get to 10.5 but that wasn't enough; Daniil Dubov is World Rapid Champion undefeated on 11/15 (+7=8-0).

Garvinator
30-12-2018, 02:31 PM
In what is still a show of lack of promotion of Women's chess, even under the new regime, if Ju wins the blitz, she will be the first player to complete the calendar grand slam.

Win the Women's world championship match
Win the knock-out
Win the Women's World Rapid Championship
Win the Women's World Blitz Championship

It is accurate to say that previous formats have not allowed such alignment of the stars to make this possible, with matches postponed, cancelled and no clear rapid and blitz Championship in the past of note.

But for there to not even be any promotion that Ju has the opportunity to win the Calendar Grand Slam, something prized in other sports, is rather disappointing.

After this year, the Women's cycle changes to similar to the Men's and so the opportunity will only present every two years or so.

Vlad
30-12-2018, 08:08 PM
Alexander Khalfman is not happy: a prominent Russian GM and coach was trying to win the position with two knights. Alexander ask a rhetoric question of whether a medical doctor was needed for him.:)

https://www.facebook.com/alex.khalifman

ER
30-12-2018, 08:57 PM
In what is still a show of lack of promotion of Women's chess, even under the new regime …

Judging from the Chess24 commentating allotment of the Open vs the Women's events (≈95% to ≈ 5%) it's still very much a man's world!

MichaelBaron
31-12-2018, 10:45 AM
Blitz confirmed Carlsen's dominance once again!

Kevin Bonham
31-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Blitz confirmed Carlsen's dominance once again!

17/21! Great effort by Duda to push him all the way finishing half a point behind.

Lagno won the Women's.