PDA

View Full Version : split from "Improved presentation!"

skip to my lou
05-12-2004, 09:22 PM
ps. looks like black caps going down in the cricket!

Aus lost.

22 runs against kasparowics and that really clever 4 against Watson pretty much finished the Aussies off.

Rincewind
05-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Aus lost.

22 runs against kasparowics and that really clever 4 against Watson pretty much finished the Aussies off.

Yes the 5 wides in Kaspa's over really wasn't needed.

Also some pretty ordinary umpiring I thought. Ponting and Martyn both "unlucky" to be given out.

auriga
06-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Yes the 5 wides in Kaspa's over really wasn't needed.

Also some pretty ordinary umpiring I thought. Ponting and Martyn both "unlucky" to be given out.

that third last over by kaspa was terrible - bowling all over the place.

Denis
07-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Well well well.
I love so to hear the opinions of derelict old decrepid men. Im glad you've taken some time from stealing students from people to share your wise opinions with us.
:smoker:

JGB
07-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Well well well.
I love so to hear the opinions of derelict old decrepid men. Im glad you've taken some time from stealing students from people to share your wise opinions with us.
:smoker:

No need getting personal. You don't need to take it all to heart, they are just playing with you mate coz your new to the scene.

Bill Gletsos
07-12-2004, 09:51 PM
No need getting personal. You don't need to take it all to heart, they are just playing with you mate coz your new to the scene.
I dont believe Dorophil was playing around at all.
Denis has every right to give him a spray.

ursogr8
08-12-2004, 07:12 AM

JGB
No need to be worried about Denis and Phil O'Dor getting personal. You don't need to take it all to heart, they are just playing with you mate coz your (newxxx toxx ) remote from the scene.
starter

DoroPhil
08-12-2004, 07:23 AM
...decrepid men...

It's spelt decrepit, young Denis. Did they teach you nothing over at Uni of Melbourne?

JGB
08-12-2004, 07:45 AM
JGB
No need to be worried about Denis and Phil O'Dor getting personal. You don't need to take it all to heart, they are just playing with you mate coz your (newxxx toxx ) remote from the scene.
starter

After a couple of glasses of fine Whisky I aint even going to try and figure out what (newxxx toxx) is.

ursogr8
08-12-2004, 07:52 AM
After a couple of glasses of fine Whisky I aint even going to try and figure out what (newxxx toxx) is.

Yeh...sorry JGB. It was a bit clumsy.

What I really needed was strike-through font (and I don't think the bb supports it for the average poster...this is not a criticism K. ... take your finger off the button). So ... I invented a non-intuitive substitute,

starter

skip to my lou
08-12-2004, 08:00 AM
RTFM

JGB
08-12-2004, 08:01 AM
Yeh...sorry JGB. It was a bit clumsy.

What I really needed was strike-through font (and I don't think the bb supports it for the average poster...this is not a criticism K. ... take your finger off the button). So ... I invented a non-intuitive substitute,

starter

Ok mate, Zum Wohl, or cheers where you are.

add on: Skip to my lou has the strike through skills. :cool:

ursogr8
08-12-2004, 08:12 AM
RTFM

OK....K.
Here is a deal

You show me how to do strike-through font,
and I will tell you all I know about METRICS. :uhoh:

starter

ps (late edit).......what does RTFM mean?

Recherché
08-12-2004, 11:12 AM
It's spelt decrepit, young Denis. Did they teach you nothing over at Uni of Melbourne?

One might have expected your life experience would have granted you a familiarity with a popular proverb about glass houses and stones, Mr Snipe-From-Anonymity.

I'll let you keep "spelt", since in addition to being wheat, it's also a dodgy British variation on spelled. However, your posting record is a veritable litany of linguistic letdowns...

How about prize list and 'strong players likely to enter' list?
Bad grammar. I suppose you have something against indefinite articles?

Gletsos! Publish the rating already!
Just the one rating?

You'd think so, wouldn't you. In reality, however, you are going to publish ratings becuase I say so. You have till Thursday, Gletsos.

You should be more proactive here. Get the site's passwords, upload the files, etc. You are not doing good job, Gletsos. Australian chess players are all disappointed with you now.
Now this one's an achievement. A misspelled word, a dodgy apostrophe and some bad grammar, all in the one post.

Logic, as Mr. Gletsos sees it, is quite an amuzing creature.

It's quite amuzing actually.
Not once, but twice! Alas, not even the Americans spell amusing with a Z.

I chose not to reveal my identityt here
Perhaps, as starter suggested, we can blame this one on fat hands.

Well, maybe stiil a little bit funny...
Confusing how those Is and Ls look so much alike, isn't it?

Wouldn't you be better off assisting Gletsos in firther ruining rating system?
Another masterfully executed spelling-grammar mistake combo. It seems you have something against definite articles as well.

Do you really think that there is a chance that Mt. Buller event can attract more people than Melbourne??
Grammar just isn't your thing, is it? I suppose we can excuse the question mark fetish, though.

This is Victorian Open man. Supposed to be premier event.
0 successful sentences from 2 attempts. What sort of superhero costume does Victorian Open Man wear, anyway?

Well, that's a start, starter, glad to be of assistance, lets see what happens.
Perhaps your extraneous apostrophe could be donated to this contraction in need.

In my opinion, our next GM can come form the next group of players.
Well personally I'd be impressed by any GM that formed an entire group of players all by themself.

in which Bill demonstrated that he is clearly superior than his opponent.
Better than; superior to. Neither phrase is ever likely to be applied to your language skills.

arosar
08-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Speaking of grammar, take a look at this from Adelaide's The Advertiser:

"First Class Child literacy rates hit highest level By Greg Kelton and Laura Anderson

A record number of primary school students in South Australia is now reading, writing and spelling better than ever before". -The Advertiser, 27 October 2004, page 1

Right or wrong?

AR

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 12:27 PM

"First Class Child literacy rates hit highest level By Greg Kelton and Laura Anderson

A record number of primary school students in South Australia is now reading, writing and spelling better than ever before". -The Advertiser, 27 October 2004, page 1

Right or wrong?

AR
i think it is wrong, it should in south australia are now reading.

Rhubarb
08-12-2004, 01:50 PM

Right or wrong?

AR
Media Watch pointed out this error because it was in the lead paragraph of a front-page story on literacy, but failed to properly explain why it was wrong when they first aired it. Basically, it comes down to a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. The Advertiser used "is" to agree with the singular collective noun (number) but failed to realise that the subject of the verb is in fact students, or even more accurately, the composite subject phrase "record number of primary school students". The word number in this case is part of a pre-modifying enumerator.

It would be correct to say "the number of literate primary school students is increasing", because the definite article forces number to become the subject.

Back to ratings now methinks.

DoroPhil
08-12-2004, 02:45 PM
One might have expected your life experience would have granted you a familiarity with a popular proverb about glass houses and stones, Mr Snipe-From-Anonymity.

I'll let you keep "spelt", since in addition to being wheat, it's also a dodgy British variation on spelled. However, your posting record is a veritable litany of linguistic letdowns...

Bad grammar. I suppose you have something against indefinite articles?

Just the one rating?

Now this one's an achievement. A misspelled word, a dodgy apostrophe and some bad grammar, all in the one post.

Not once, but twice! Alas, not even the Americans spell amusing with a Z.

Perhaps, as starter suggested, we can blame this one on fat hands.

Confusing how those Is and Ls look so much alike, isn't it?

Another masterfully executed spelling-grammar mistake combo. It seems you have something against definite articles as well.

Grammar just isn't your thing, is it? I suppose we can excuse the question mark fetish, though.

0 successful sentences from 2 attempts. What sort of superhero costume does Victorian Open Man wear, anyway?

Perhaps your extraneous apostrophe could be donated to this contraction in need.

Well personally I'd be impressed by any GM that formed an entire group of players all by themself.

Better than; superior to. Neither phrase is ever likely to be applied to your language skills.

You have no credability.
You are a complete joke.

Apart from that, I would like to point out that I have no idea who you are and what made you spend time going over all my posts. I hope it was time well spent.

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 02:49 PM
You have no credability.
You are a complete joke.

Apart from that, I would like to point out that I have no idea who you are and what made you spend time going over all my posts. I hope it was time well spent.
Recherche has more credibility as at least most of us know his name and who he is, unlike you. Interesting also that you borrowed a Bill Gletsos phrase, are you going to give it back or pay him a licence fee?

DoroPhil
08-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Recherche has more credibility as at least most of us know his name and who he is, unlike you. Interesting also that you borrowed a Bill Gletsos phrase, are you going to give it back or pay him a licence fee?

Gray. You are stupid. Ok.

ursogr8
08-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Gray. You are stupid. Ok.

OK Phil O'Dor

End of the day; time to log the clues into the data-base.
What have we learnt from this little exchange?

You say you are out of the chess scene, but know enough to cast doubts on the shooting stars ZWL and CW, while potting the more mature challengers DB and JN. Can we draw the conclusion that you are not the average poster but the mean?
You don't deny your rating has declined and you too have squandered the Gletsos rating puff.
The reference to hairlines is not denied by you; just a diversionary tactic to point to others.
And you churlishly failed to applaud Recherche's erudite research of your previous posts and their English deficiencies. Given that you played the pedant card first (on Denis) this was a bit uneven of you.
Can't say what you look like Phil; but a bit of a profile is emerging.
Keep posting.

some regards
starter

Denis
08-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Starter I think you left out one important characteristic.

Stupid. :D

Recherché
08-12-2004, 05:37 PM
You have no credability.
You are a complete joke.
Upset as I am to discover that I'm incredibly funny, I find myself consoled by the fact that at least I'm writing my own material.

Apart from that, I would like to point out that I have no idea who you are and what made you spend time going over all my posts.
You evidently knew enough about me to know my rating back in the Olympiad thread. Moreover I have happily divulged my identity to everyone who has asked, and make no efforts to hide it.

I hope it was time well spent.
Oh, certainly. I've got proof reading on my resumé; it pays to keep your skills up.

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 05:44 PM
Oh, certainly. I've got proof reading on my resumé; it pays to keep your skills up.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ursogr8
08-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Upset as I am to discover that I'm incredibly funny, I find myself consoled by the fact that at least I'm writing my own material.

Rob,

You have excelled yourself today...on hols eh?
Is writing funny stuff on the bb going to be your day job? I am not seeing how it will be an earner.

Anyhow, I am scoring you as 2-0 over Phil. today.

starter

DoroPhil
08-12-2004, 08:11 PM
OK Phil O'Dor

Can't say what you look like Phil; but a bit of a profile is emerging.
Keep posting.

starter

Ah, I now realize where this is going. May Be?

In any case, I thought that we have previously established the fact that "not deny" does not exactly equal "confirm", right? I am somewhat disappointed in your analytical abilities here. What's IBM paying all that money for? :)

DoroPhil
08-12-2004, 08:14 PM

Ok then.

You evidently knew enough about me to know my rating back in the Olympiad thread.

Eh?

Unemployed student, eh?

ursogr8
08-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Ah, I now realize where this is going. May Be?

In any case, I thought that we have previously established the fact that "not deny" does not exactly equal "confirm", right? I am somewhat disappointed in your analytical abilities here. What's IBM paying all that money for? :)

Yeh, yeh yeh.
not deny 'not equal' confirm...I agree.

It was just an interesting piece of not-deny evidence. Could be that you don't want to give anymore away. Or could be that, like Denis, you are currently rating-challenged in spite of Bill's spinnaker uplift.

And what is IBM paying me for?
Forensic profiling of anon. sales leads.......I thought you knew. :uhoh: ;)

At the moment some of the evidence is dim in parts.

starter

Denis
08-12-2004, 10:49 PM
I have also deduced that DoroPhil is single and has been for a while.

JGB
08-12-2004, 11:04 PM

So now's your chance to pop the big question!!! ;) ;) :whistle:

Alan Shore
08-12-2004, 11:09 PM

Ahahahahahaha!

Now that's a candidate for quip of the year!

Denis
09-12-2004, 12:09 AM
Im afraid I don't swing the same way as DoroPhil, I prefer females.

arosar
09-12-2004, 07:43 AM
Or could be that, like Denis, you are currently rating-challenged in spite of Bill's spinnaker uplift.

Speaking of spinnaker uplift, how about Team AAPT's kite design to make their boat sail faster?

Quite interesting design but may be dangerous and cheating.

AR

DoroPhil
09-12-2004, 08:10 AM

You are going great in your little guessing game here, young Denis. I am actually married.

ursogr8
09-12-2004, 08:10 AM
Speaking of spinnaker uplift, how about Team AAPT's kite design to make their boat sail faster?

Quite interesting design but may be dangerous and cheating.

AR

Amiel,
The same news item caught my eye. And when I searching for a replacement phrase for Bill's rating (uplift) puff I latched onto spinnaker uplift.

How could it be cheating to take away the spinnaker pole? Because that is in effect all the concept involves. The spinnaker uplift just looks like a normal spinnaker, before the pole, and before shortening the whatever.

starter

DoroPhil
09-12-2004, 08:12 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :D

Recherché
09-12-2004, 09:58 AM
on hols eh?

More or less. :)

Is writing funny stuff on the bb going to be your day job? I am not seeing how it will be an earner.

No, no, just a minor hobby. I don't want to be taking time away from my brilliant chess career. ;)

Recherché
09-12-2004, 10:01 AM
Eh?

The 2010 thread stands right here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1542) for perusal if your memory can't be relied upon.

Unemployed student, eh?

I suppose so, if you count neither study nor unpaid work as "employment".

Gringo
09-12-2004, 12:06 PM
With all the Botched Identity proving,perhaps we can have an Anti- Sherlock
Award......

ursogr8
09-12-2004, 12:25 PM
With all the Botched Identity proving,perhaps we can have an Anti- Sherlock
Award......

After 7 posts by you we know that
You are from NSW
You are not voting Gletsos
You read history
Anti Parr

Keep posting G.
We like hearing from you.

starter

ursogr8
09-12-2004, 01:02 PM
The 2010 thread stands right here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1542) for perusal if your memory can't be relied upon.

I would like you to have sprung him Rob, but I suspect Phil O'Dor was being generic on refrerence to 1400; and you have read a bit too much into it.

starter

Recherché
09-12-2004, 01:22 PM
I would like you to have sprung him Rob, but I suspect Phil O'Dor was being generic on refrerence to 1400; and you have read a bit too much into it.

Could be, but if he knew nothing at all about me, why make a comment like that? There would be no reason to assume I was a new/average player simply from my Olympiad predictions.

DoroPhil
09-12-2004, 02:18 PM

starter

Well done starter! Good guess here; does it make it something like 1 out of 10 or so? :) But why so angry?

DoroPhil
09-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Could be, but if he knew nothing at all about me, why make a comment like that? There would be no reason to assume I was a new/average player simply from my Olympiad predictions.

Ah. I assume you are rated somewhere in the vicinity of 1400, right? So, it's only natural for you to consider people (rated 500 points higher than you) to be talented. Simple logic really. World doesn't really revolve around you, junior. Sorry.

ursogr8
09-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Well done starter! Good guess here; does it make it something like 1 out of 10 or so? :) But why so angry?

Angry?
I left no emoticon, and actually deflated one of R's slingshots.
What false clue says angry?

DoroPhil
09-12-2004, 03:05 PM
I would like you to have sprung him
starter

The above statement can be perceived as just a tiny little bit angry and therefore rather inappropriate for a highly-respected aging gentleman like yourself :)

Recherché
09-12-2004, 03:12 PM
Ah. I assume you are rated somewhere in the vicinity of 1400, right? So, it's only natural for you to consider people (rated 500 points higher than you) to be talented. Simple logic really. World doesn't really revolve around you, junior. Sorry.

I made it abudantly clear in the 2010 Olympiad team thread that my opinion of Chris and his potential had nothing at all to do with his current rating. Was my reply too much reading for you to handle, or is there some other reason you've repeated the same flawed assumption you made before?

ursogr8
09-12-2004, 04:11 PM
The above statement can be perceived as just a tiny little bit angry and therefore rather inappropriate for a highly-respected aging gentleman like yourself :)

Phil
You have misjudged this one.

What I have as an outlook, in the forensic investigation, is a winning endgame position. I only have the Don Bradman dilemma; whether to hit a 4 or a 6 first.

However, before that, ....make a move, ...satisfy your urge to stand close to revelation. Post a lot and often. :uhoh: ;)

starter

DarkDevilKin
09-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Heh, I have played Chris Wallis many a time. He has no special talent at all, he is a draw-master. Everytime I play him, he sits on his position, waiting for his higher-rated opponent to either offer a draw, or waits for a slip.

Zie, on the other hand, does indeed display potential. While he may not acquire the results so much against higher rated opponents as Chris (which he only gets as listed above), he tries to win. And don't mock me, I do have a stressful life at the moment. Denis? He coaches, works (I think) and attends university full time. These 'up and coming' juniors only have some school to worry about, which in Australia's current school system, sn't all that much. 'Nuff said.

skip to my lou
09-12-2004, 06:14 PM
These 'up and coming' juniors only have some school to worry about, which in Australia's current school system, sn't all that much.

You must be kidding.

DoroPhil
09-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Phil

What I have as an outlook, in the forensic investigation, is a winning endgame position.

starter

Really? From where I stand you didn't even make it out of the opening...

DoroPhil
09-12-2004, 07:36 PM
And don't mock me, I do have a stressful life at the moment. Denis? He coaches, works (I think) and attends university full time. These 'up and coming' juniors only have some school to worry about, which in Australia's current school system, sn't all that much. 'Nuff said.

And who would you be?

Anyway, I think this argument sounds about as ridiculous as our young Denis looks. I mean 12-year-old is as equipped to handle school as, say, 19-year-old should be equipped to balance full-time study with part-time work and full-time life.

ursogr8
10-12-2004, 06:44 AM
And who would you be?

Good morning Phil O'Dor

If you are serious about unmasking anon. posters you have to be a bit more subtle than just asking direct. :P

You might get a direct answer and bang goes the thrill of the chase and the pressure that builds up on the hunted.

starter

ps Would you like a copy of my Starter-kit? ;)

DarkDevilKin
11-12-2004, 07:39 AM
Anyway, I think this argument sounds about as ridiculous as our young Denis looks. I mean 12-year-old is as equipped to handle school as, say, 19-year-old should be equipped to balance full-time study with part-time work and full-time life.

Really? What a stunning revelation! However, if one were to try and improve his/her chess with everything else on their plate, well, it's impossible.

DoroPhil
13-12-2004, 07:58 AM
However, if one were to try and improve his/her chess with everything else on their plate, well, it's impossible.

I don't know what your coaches have been telling you over the years, junior, but the only time one actually improves his/her chess is when siting at the board, playing a tournament game. So, it has absolutely nothing to do with any chess-unrelated matters.

ursogr8
13-12-2004, 08:10 AM
I don't know what your coaches have been telling you over the years, junior, but the only time one actually improves his/her chess is when siting at the board, playing a tournament game. So, it has absolutely nothing to do with any chess-unrelated matters.

Gee, the tone of this post reminds me of some-one I know. Sounds like, like... :hmm: ....right on the tip of my tongue.

It will come to me in a moment.

Ahh, no, couldn't be could it...?

So who are you angry at Phil? The kid, or his coach?

starter

DoroPhil
13-12-2004, 08:19 AM
Gee, the tone of this post reminds me of some-one I know. Sounds like, like... :hmm: ....right on the tip of my tongue.

It will come to me in a moment.

starter

I'm somewhat confident that it won't.

So who are you angry at Phil? The kid, or his coach?

starter

Angry? Where's angry? And, as I understand it, this kid is all grown-up. Well, sort of.

Recherché
13-12-2004, 11:58 AM
the only time one actually improves his/her chess is when siting at the board, playing a tournament game

Perhaps you should share your profound insights with assorted world chess champions, and the recently successful US women's olympiad team. Clearly they've got no idea what they're doing and have being going about things all wrong.

Your assertion is demonstrably false.

DoroPhil
13-12-2004, 01:14 PM
Your assertion is demonstrably false.

No, it isn't.
Er... you have no credability.

Anyway, "improves" refers to one's chess ability. Coaches can help with motivation, preparation, etc.

They cannot help with ability.

arosar
13-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Ehehe...it's a bit funny how youse blokes in Mexico argue. It's sort of catty and subtle. I quite enjoy it actually I must admit. Unlike some we know, always going on about the same bloody things using same boring lines. You can just about read what they say before they post.

AR

Rincewind
13-12-2004, 02:02 PM
They cannot help with ability.

Define "ability".

I think it can be convincingly argued that playing tournament games can not provide any improvement in any area which impacts on chess results which cannot be achieved in other ways.

DoroPhil
13-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Define "ability".

Ability:

1. Last seven letters of the word "credability" as used by Gletsos
2. Capacity or power to do something

I think it can be convincingly argued that playing tournament games can not provide any improvement in any area which impacts on chess results which cannot be achieved in other ways.

Do you know of anybody who managed to learn to drive without actually driving?

ursogr8
13-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Ehehe...it's a bit funny how youse blokes in Mexico argue. It's sort of catty and subtle. I quite enjoy it actually I must admit. Unlike some we know, always going on about the same bloody things using same boring lines. You can just about read what they say before they post.

AR

Amiel :eek: :eek:

The last time I tried subtly and humour Bill didn't get the joke and cuffed me for being incredibly unobservant. From now on I am going to do things the Welshers way.

starter

Rincewind
13-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Ability:

2. Capacity or power to do something

Solving tactical puzzles improves your ability to see tactics at the board. Studying endgame technique improves your capacity when you are able to apply these techniques at the board. Opening preparation can (among other things) save time on the clock which allows you to play a higher standard of game in the middle/end of tournament games.

How are any of these things NOT improving your capacity to play chess?

Do you know of anybody who managed to learn to drive without actually driving?

Not personally but Neil Armstrong learnt to land on the moon long before he was able to make the journey in person.

Bill Gletsos
13-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Ability:

If you were paying attention you would notice I have stopped mis-typing it.

DoroPhil
13-12-2004, 03:34 PM
If you were paying attention you would notice I have stopped mis-typing it.

I don't think you were mis-typing it as much as you were mis-spelling it.
Besides, correct me if I am wrong, but you are Gletsos and there's no known cure for that.

Garvinator
13-12-2004, 03:36 PM
i smell a goosemaster norm candidate in the wings :uhoh:

Bill Gletsos
13-12-2004, 03:44 PM
I don't think you were mis-typing it as much as you were mis-spelling it.
I know how to spell. Its just I'm a realy crook typist.

Besides, correct me if I am wrong, but you are Gletsos and there's no known cure for that.
Well you are obviously the dill, Dorophil. Unfortuantely for you there is no known cure for being an idiot.

Bill Gletsos
13-12-2004, 03:51 PM
but the only time one actually improves his/her chess is when siting at the board, playing a tournament game.
Given you will find that Bobby Fischer actually took a number of breaks from chess between 1960 and 1970 where he played no tournament games at all but returned to the game stronger after each break, then you comment above is clearly flawed.

ursogr8
13-12-2004, 04:19 PM
i smell a goosemaster norm candidate in the wings :uhoh:

gg''

Could you please hold your knee-jerk one-liners while something great is occurring. This is like the genesis of the CLOWNS thread with the added spice that a mod. is involved.
Please do not disturb the players while the ball is in play.

starter

Rhubarb
13-12-2004, 05:28 PM
gg''

Could you please hold your knee-jerk one-liners while something great is occurring. This is like the genesis of the CLOWNS thread with the added spice that a mod. is involved.
Please do not disturb the players while the ball is in play.

starter
Right, and besides, this is one of those special events where Phil might get the title in one shot.