PDA

View Full Version : Articolo indeterminativo

Rincewind
18-12-2004, 02:19 PM
a gelati

I think you'll find the singular is gelato. ;)

ursogr8
18-12-2004, 02:29 PM
I think you'll find the singular is gelato. ;)

Ahhh Baz

Dangerous territory mate.
At Rosebud, the gelato are so large they can be shared by two.
Hence... a gelati... is colloquial amongst the Italian community there. ;)

starter

Rincewind
18-12-2004, 03:07 PM
Dangerous territory mate.
At Rosebud, the gelato are so large they can be shared by two.
Hence... a gelati... is colloquial amongst the Italian community there. ;)

Perhaps (like pasta) you are so used to ordering and eating them in large numbers, the singular has fallen from the lexicon due to lack of use. (It takes some time to get used to people talking about uno spaghetto o uno gnocco).

ursogr8
18-12-2004, 06:33 PM
Perhaps (like pasta) you are so used to ordering and eating them in large numbers, the singular has fallen from the lexicon due to lack of use. (It takes some time to get used to people talking about uno spaghetto o uno gnocco).

o o o o o o o o o o
This was the reaction of Marilena (she who must be obeyed ;) ).

She said you were oozing with o's.

un spaghetto, mate
un gnocco, pal.

Or are you on some crash dialect, my son.

starter

Rincewind
18-12-2004, 08:41 PM
o o o o o o o o o o
This was the reaction of Marilena (she who must be obeyed ;) ).

She said you were oozing with o's.

un spaghetto, mate
un gnocco, pal.

Or are you on some crash dialect, my son.

I hate to disagree with a native speaker but I must object, or rather refer your good lady wife to a book on grammar. According to Grammatica Essenziale the articolo indeterminativo, maschile singolare: UNO is used before "s impura", that is s followed by a consonant (as in spaghetto) and gn (as is gnocco). For the sake of completeness, uno is also used before y, ps, x and z. UN is used as the male indefinite article in all other cases. :hand:

ursogr8
19-12-2004, 07:06 AM
I hate to disagree with a native speaker but I must object, or rather refer your good lady wife to a book on grammar. According to Grammatica Essenziale the articolo indeterminativo, maschile singolare: UNO is used before "s impura", that is s followed by a consonant (as in spaghetto) and gn (as is gnocco). For the sake of completeness, uno is also used before y, ps, x and z. UN is used as the male indefinite article in all other cases. :hand:

Baz
I too hate to disagree with the same native speaker. ;)

The first reaction was to exclaim..."ahhh, so Baz is from the north".
The second reaction was to consult the local phrase-book here and sure enough ...evidence that you are wrong. (However, when I pointed out the rule may be different between adjectives and nouns (your sphagetto), a cooked breakfast was placed at risk).

It is clear we are correct here because we know the Rosebud dialect. ;)

Have a nice day.

starter

Rincewind
19-12-2004, 09:07 AM
The first reaction was to exclaim..."ahhh, so Baz is from the north".
The second reaction was to consult the local phrase-book here and sure enough ...evidence that you are wrong. (However, when I pointed out the rule may be different between adjectives and nouns (your sphagetto), a cooked breakfast was placed at risk).

It is clear we are correct here because we know the Rosebud dialect. ;)

Well I don't have a book on the Rosebud dialect, however as a final remark I would like to mention that I picked up my copy of Grammatica Essenziale from a great (as in not so little) bookshop in Napoli, Campania. As any campaniese will tell you, they are definitely not from "The North". ;)

Rincewind
19-12-2004, 09:38 AM
go make a new thread will you two ;)

Hey, it could be pertinent. Perhaps the reason the Mexicans aren't coming is miscommuncation due to dialectal variation. :P

Garvinator
19-12-2004, 09:40 AM
Hey, it could be pertinent. Perhaps the reason the Mexicans aren't coming is miscommuncation due to dialectal variation. :P
or they cant decide whether they want a gelati or gelato ;)

Rincewind
19-12-2004, 09:42 AM
or they cant decide whether they want a gelati or gelato ;)

More likely can't decide between a pot or a schooner.

Alan Shore
19-12-2004, 10:01 AM
More likely can't decide between a pot or a schooner.

Give me a schooner any day! I'm off to the cricket today lads, have a good one.

ursogr8
19-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Well I don't have a book on the Rosebud dialect, however as a final remark I would like to mention that I picked up my copy of Grammatica Essenziale from a great (as in not so little) bookshop in Napoli, Campania. As any campaniese will tell you, they are definitely not from "The North". ;)

Napoli!? The southern Napoli, we presume you mean.
Oh, well, apparently :rolleyes: that explains all.

They spend so much time singing in Napoli that they have failed to mature their dialect, grammar and speling.
We are sure we are right. :uhoh:

starter

Rincewind
19-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Napoli!? The southern Napoli, we presume you mean.
Oh, well, apparently :rolleyes: that explains all.

They spend so much time singing in Napoli that they have failed to mature their dialect, grammar and speling.
We are sure we are right. :uhoh:

Now you're treading on dangerous ground. While the book was purchased in Napoli, it was published in Milano. This is all standard Italian and not controversial at all. My reference is ISBN 88-11-94505-4 (pp.25) published by Garzanti Editore s.p.a. who are a well respected publisher of linguistic texts and references. You'll also find the same in Basic Italian by Speroni & Golino (pp.43), ISBN4-8337-0257-6. ;)

Do you have a reference to the standard text on this bocciolo di rosa dialect?

antichrist
19-12-2004, 11:58 AM

Listen spaghetti-eater,
Those Italian ladies are so fat from eating gelati/os and spaghetti that they can't get husbands -- notice they did not make a movie titled "Fat Italian Weddings". Lebo food is more tasty, better textured and healthier -- and no Lebo ever won a beauty contest.

Rincewind
19-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Listen spaghetti-eater,
Those Italian ladies are so fat from eating gelati/os and spaghetti that they can't get husbands -- notice they did not make a movie titled "Fat Italian Weddings". Lebo food is more tasty, better textured and healthier -- and no Lebo ever won a beauty contest.

Notice the way you tend to rave on about people in terms of ethnic stereotypes?

ursogr8
19-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Now you're treading on dangerous ground. While the book was purchased in Napoli, it was published in Milano. This is all standard Italian and not controversial at all. My reference is ISBN 88-11-94505-4 (pp.25) published by Garzanti Editore s.p.a. who are a well respected publisher of linguistic texts and references. You'll also find the same in Basic Italian by Speroni & Golino (pp.43), ISBN4-8337-0257-6. ;)

OK Basilio
You apparently have gone too far, I have been told to say.

SWMBO went away shopping muttering something about

2 balls a-swinging
2 kneecaps hurting
2 gongs rung

and I don't think it was the words of a Christmas carol.

I hope she has calmed down when she comes back.

Stage whisper > Mateo, before she comes back could you and I just agree that it is possible that it is correct in the Rosebud dialect. Then we might be able to move on.?

starter

Rincewind
19-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Stage whisper > Mateo, before she comes back could you and I just agree that it is possible that it is correct in the Rosebud dialect. Then we might be able to move on.?

Starter, you seem to be able to start things (like post: http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=39565&postcount=4 ) but unable to finish them. ;)

ursogr8
19-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Starter, you seem to be able to start things (like post: http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=39565&postcount=4 ) but unable to finish them. ;)

Basilio
That is a cute little function you display....a single post. Is it available to all, or just mods?

I have to admit the 'crash dialect' became an idee fixee (is this the correct spelling?).
SWMBO has returned and all is well.

Till the next time.

starter

ps
btw
Pecori will be at Mt B. ;) :uhoh:

antichrist
20-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Notice the way you tend to rave on about people in terms of ethnic stereotypes?

I am allowed to because I am one, just as Zionists can kill Jews (in Iraq) and not be called anti-Semitic but people like me can be because I am not one of them.

Rincewind
20-12-2004, 07:47 PM
I am allowed to because I am one, just as Zionists can kill Jews (in Iraq) and not be called anti-Semitic but people like me can be because I am not one of them.

Arghhhh! You're doing it again!!! :wall:

ursogr8
21-12-2004, 08:01 PM

Basilo

We are having trouble with your bocciolo.
Presume it is not to do with hurling silver balls in the backyard at Xmas time.
Presume you meant two c's (not 1) in the first four letters; if not, Marilena says :wink:

Will not be able to check the standard text you seek until the week-end when we are down at Rosebud and able to look at the back of the pizza menu.

starter

antichrist
21-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Arghhhh! You're doing it again!!! :wall:

You are too PC to enjoy life. My in-laws etc. comprise a United Nations and we all laugh at each other in ethnic stero-typed ways and take it for what it is Why ignore the differences that make life interesting. My Jewish mate and myself poke fun at each other all the time in stero-typed ways, we know a lot about each other's culture so can do a pretty good job.

Rincewind
21-12-2004, 09:05 PM
You are too PC to enjoy life. My in-laws etc. comprise a United Nations and we all laugh at each other in ethnic stero-typed ways and take it for what it is Why ignore the differences that make life interesting. My Jewish mate and myself poke fun at each other all the time in stero-typed ways, we know a lot about each other's culture so can do a pretty good job.

That is fine, I enjoy a laugh as much as the next man, but you also string together stereotypes and use them to concoct serious positions on a variety of issues. It seems as if you can't help yourself, you see the world that way. Try imagining people as individuals rather than merely members of some social/religious/ethnic/economical group or other.

Rincewind
21-12-2004, 10:15 PM
We are having trouble with your bocciolo.
Presume it is not to do with hurling silver balls in the backyard at Xmas time.
Presume you meant two c's (not 1) in the first four letters; if not, Marilena says :wink:

Italian is a funny language with the doubling of a consonant, or failing to do so, can make a marked difference to the meaning of a word. However, I think bocciolo is correct. According to my Garzanti dizionario: the c is doubled, despite the fact that the stress falls on the penultimate syllable.

So what are you driving at? :confused:

PS Christmas get together is at my place this year. Given that I live on the side of a hill, bocce will probably be off the schedule of events. ;)

ursogr8
22-12-2004, 06:43 AM
Italian is a funny language with the doubling of a consonant, or failing to do so, can make a marked difference to the meaning of a word. However, I think bocciolo is correct. According to my Garzanti dizionario: the c is doubled, despite the fact that the stress falls on the penultimate syllable.

So what are you driving at? :confused:

PS Christmas get together is at my place this year. Given that I live on the side of a hill, bocce will probably be off the schedule of events. ;)

Baz
Nothing subtle in my post #21 (although the back of a pizza menu being the standard text must have brought a smile?).
We (she) just don't know what bocciolo is.
Translation?
starter

Rincewind
22-12-2004, 09:21 AM
Nothing subtle in my post #21 (although the back of a pizza menu being the standard text must have brought a smile?).
We (she) just don't know what bocciolo is.
Translation?

Bocciolo is a bud, Bud.

Bocciolo di rosa = Rosebud.

Have a pleasent christmas, if you celebrate that sort of thing.

ursogr8
22-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Bocciolo is a bud, Bud.

Bocciolo di rosa = Rosebud.

Have a pleasent christmas, if you celebrate that sort of thing.

Baz

That is what I guessed, and I only read Latin. ;)
But SWMBO did not recognise it. Must be a Scanno, dialect thing.

Thanks for the festive greetings. May the bird of paradise also rest in your hair-piece.

I will return after we have consulted the standard text, in a week.

starter

antichrist
22-12-2004, 06:19 PM
That is fine, I enjoy a laugh as much as the next man, but you also string together stereotypes and use them to concoct serious positions on a variety of issues. It seems as if you can't help yourself, you see the world that way. Try imagining people as individuals rather than merely members of some social/religious/ethnic/economical group or other.

If you referring to the Italo spaghetti post I was not trying to concoct anything serious.

We can't really divorce ourselves from what we are, i.e., group members as against individuals, the mad ones or involunarily driven ones may succeed. All ethnic groups are worthy in different ways and I appreciate those differences.

ursogr8
26-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Baz

That is what I guessed, and I only read Latin. ;)
But SWMBO did not recognise it. Must be a Scanno, dialect thing.

Thanks for the festive greetings. May the bird of paradise also rest in your hair-piece.

I will return after we have consulted the standard text, in a week.

starter

Basilio,

I am back with the official references to be used on our side of the debate.

1 Living Italian by Maria Valgimigli, published by the University of Oxford Press, for 9s 6d.

And if that is not intimidating enough,

2 Mondadori's Pocket Dictionary, published by Pocket books of New York, 1956 edition.

Sadly I could not take a copy of the menu from the Rosebud Pizza Ristoratore because the paesano was an testimone oculare.

Do you give up on your original point or do you want me to quote capitolo and verso.

starter

Rincewind
26-12-2004, 11:05 PM
1 Living Italian by Maria Valgimigli, published by the University of Oxford Press, for 9s 6d.

OK. There is a copy due back in a local library. I'll go check it out > 14/1/05.

But my wife who has also studied Italian laguage to HSC and at Uni assures me I have nothing to worry about. ;)

ursogr8
27-12-2004, 07:28 AM
Dear Avvacato,

You are indeed fortunate.
I was using my free time on Boxing Day, waiting for the start of the Sydney-Hobart replay, to research some topics I intend to post on the 'competitive index' in 2005. And sadly my locally library was closed and their computer down for maintenance.
Wish I had been able to dial into the GONG service.

regards

Rincewind
14-01-2005, 07:09 AM
OK. There is a copy due back in a local library. I'll go check it out > 14/1/05.

Nice weather for a trip down to the library at lunch. ;)

ursogr8
14-01-2005, 07:45 AM
Nice weather for a trip down to the library at lunch. ;)

Sorry Baz
I lost track of this thread. Was the ball in my court?
Now, where we up to? Oh. I see....we are at (a).
What was (a) again? Remind me.

Then I will have a go at (b).

Btw, the penny has dropped for SWMBO on the Bocciolo di rosa.

Did you watch any cricket last night? That Twenty20 stuff? From the newspaper report I noticed a few in crowd got ejected for over-indulging......must have allowed the sale of SUPER given the game is so short.
Apparently they are charged with unseemly behaviour. Probably an Adelaide thing. :rolleyes: Don't tell Bill though, he thinks unseemly is OK; is that a NSW thing?

starter

Rincewind
14-01-2005, 08:12 AM
Did you watch any cricket last night? That Twenty20 stuff?

I'm not a big fan of the slog. I don't mind the 50 overs a side but 5 day even more so. Using a chess analogy, I guess 5 day cricket is classical chess; 50-overs a side, rapidplay; and, twenty20 would be blitz. My tastes are similar in both chess and cricket. ;)

ursogr8
14-01-2005, 08:32 AM
I'm not a big fan of the slog. I don't mind the 50 overs a side but 5 day even more so. Using a chess analogy, I guess 5 day cricket is classical chess; 50-overs a side, rapidplay; and, twenty20 would be blitz. My tastes are similar in both chess and cricket. ;)

Not sure of your age BAZ,
So I will give responses for each generation

>Absolutely

>>Right on

>>>I agree

starter

Rincewind
14-01-2005, 08:55 AM
I lost track of this thread. Was the ball in my court?
Now, where we up to? Oh. I see....we are at (a).
What was (a) again? Remind me.

Two questions. Which is correct

(1)
(A) un spaghetto
(B) uno spaghetto

(2)
(A) un gnocco
(B) uno gnocco

It would seem the Rosebud crowd think 1A and 2A whereas I (and the overwhelming number of books on Italian grammar I've access to) say 1B and 2B.

You cited Living Italian by Maria Valgimigli as supporting the Rosebud faction. Today (God willing) I get to scrutinise this tome for myself. I'll report back my findings.

ursogr8
14-01-2005, 09:20 AM
Two questions. Which is correct

(1)
(A) un spaghetto
(B) uno spaghetto

(2)
(A) un gnocco
(B) uno gnocco

It would seem the Rosebud crowd think 1A and 2A whereas I (and the overwhelming number of books on Italian grammar I've access to) say 1B and 2B.

You cited Living Italian by Maria Valgimigli as supporting the Rosebud faction. Today (God willing) I get to scrutinise this tome for myself. I'll report back my findings.

Baz
Thanks for this. Normally I would feel guilty getting you to do that...but it was toss up for you
> the cross-word in the paper
>> backyard cricket on the slope
>>> respond to competitive index thread

and the bit of back-reading won out. ;) eh?

starter

ps Enough of the (God willing)'s mate. :(
It attracts the A/C's and Frosty's, and before you know it the thread drifts off important matters.

Rincewind
14-01-2005, 01:31 PM
ps Enough of the (God willing)'s mate.

Alas, God was unwilling. The book is not yet been returned. I'll have to check next week.

While I was there I did flick through a couple of other books on Italian grammar. About 50% had the rule as uno before words beginning with s-impure and z. The other half had s-impure, z, gn and ps.

But I think this is just the fault of omission on their part and no examples of gn or ps words were found (there are relatively few words strating with these combinations). I would rate your chances then as 50% that Maria's book doesn't explicitly mention the gn and ps cases. However, all books I've seen thus far that cover the rules of the indefinite article, cover s-impure and z.

antichrist
14-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Listen da Bazzi and Starta
I tella you. Even the Pappa in da Vatican eat plenta spaghetti and he tella me he don'ta care howda you pronounce as longa as his platta is full - Godda willing. And gelato and gelati he likem de both, choca-latti is his favourite - Godda willing.

And he tella me, he pointa de finger at me: That Anti-Christie noa nuting about da Godda - Godda willing. And he tella da priest: Stay awada from the little kastarati - Godda willing.

ursogr8
14-01-2005, 08:13 PM
I tella you. Even the Pappa in da Vatican eat plenta spaghetti and he tella me he don'ta care howda you pronounce as longa as his platta is full - Godda willing. And gelato and gelati he likem de both, choca-latti is his favourite - Godda willing.

And he tella me, he pointa de finger at me: That Anti-Christie noa nuting about da Godda - Godda willing. And he tella da priest: Stay awada from the little kastarati - Godda willing.

hey Baz

This guy A/C has got some style. :clap:

You don't think he will attract Frosty and his mates onto this intellectual thread do you?

starter

Rincewind
14-01-2005, 10:07 PM
This guy A/C has got some style. :clap:

This is obviously a new usage of the word style not covered by my dictionary.

You don't think he will attract Frosty and his mates onto this intellectual thread do you?

God, I hope not. ;)

Spiny Norman
15-01-2005, 08:13 AM
This guy A/C has got some style. :clap: You don't think he will attract Frosty and his mates onto this intellectual thread do you?

... not a chance ... I don't like gelati/o.

Well done AC! ROTFLMAO!

antichrist
15-01-2005, 03:33 PM
... not a chance ... I don't like gelati/o.

Well done AC! ROTFLMAO!

What does ROTFLMAO mean? Also QED?

Also Pappa don'ta like da condom unlessa they hava holes in dem.

Spiny Norman
15-01-2005, 05:47 PM
ROTFLMAO

Rolling On The Floor, Laughing My Arse Off! :lol:

Rincewind
15-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Also QED?

Quod Erat Demonstrandum - That which was to be shown.

Normally seen at the end of mathematical proofs, especially in the old days. :cry:

Spiny Norman
15-01-2005, 08:06 PM

Normally seen at the end of mathematical proofs, especially in the old days. :cry:

I suspect that fact that you knew that (QED I mean) whilst I knew ROTFLMAO says something ... but if I think about it too hard I will just make myself depressed ... so I won't <Frosty starts furiously sweeping any negative self image thoughts under the intellectual carpet>.

;)

ursogr8
15-01-2005, 08:34 PM

I always thought it was Quod Est Demonstratum

ursogr8
15-01-2005, 08:53 PM

A/C

SWMBO has declared your post as a classic. After she recovered from much laughter she put the post in the same class as Matt's response to Amiel missing the NSWAGM.
We really ought have a thread called the top 10 best funny posts.
tks
starter

Rincewind
15-01-2005, 10:55 PM
I always thought it was Quod Est Demonstratum

Let's not fight about Latin too. I was taught Erat and I trust my old maths teacher implicitly. ;)

Kaitlin
15-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Et um you to Brutus <---- thats all the Latin I know :angel:

Goughfather
15-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by antichrist

A/C

SWMBO has declared your post as a classic. After she recovered from much laughter she put the post in the same class as Matt's response to Amiel missing the NSWAGM.
We really ought have a thread called the top 10 best funny posts.
tks
starter

Quite possibly.

Though admittedly, the belief that "antichrist" actually registers on the Pope's radar (or indeed anyone's) suggests that someone may be suffering from delusions of grandeur.

Rincewind
15-01-2005, 11:21 PM
Et um you to Brutus <---- thats all the Latin I know :angel:

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Kaitlin
15-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Biggus Dikus ;)

Rincewind
15-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Et um you to Brutus <---- thats all the Latin I know

Biggus Dikus ;)

:liar:

Kaitlin
15-01-2005, 11:47 PM
mmm... now i have to go to 'babel fish' and see if it can translate "De gustibus non est disputandum" into english :confused:

Rincewind
15-01-2005, 11:56 PM
mmm... now i have to go to 'babel fish' and see if it can translate "De gustibus non est disputandum" into english :confused:

I'll save you the trouble. It means "Of tastes there can be no dispute". It is a handy line which I have committed to memory, as you can apply it to most situations and it makes you sound knowledgeable.

Kaitlin
16-01-2005, 12:04 AM
:hmm:

D:
Translation: "Matters of taste ought not to be disputed."
De mortuis nihil nisi bene.
Translation: "Of the dead, nothing but good.; Say only good things about the dead."
Deliriant isti Romani.
Translation: "They are mad, those Romans"; -- René Goscinny, Asterix and Obelixcomic

Im'a think some more on this before i say anythink more..in case i put my foot in sumt'n

Rincewind
16-01-2005, 12:09 AM
And getting back to Biggus Dickus...

Romani ite domum

He has a wife you know? ;)

Kaitlin
16-01-2005, 12:19 AM
Search for Romani ite domum Results 1-1 of about 1. Search took 1.01 seconds.

1. Life of Brian - funny and useful quotes about Life of Brian at ...
... Er, er, "i" ! Centurion : How many Romans? Brian : Aaaaagh ! Plural, plural, er,
"ite" ! Centurion : (Writes "ite") "Domus"? ... Er, er, accusative, "ad domum" ! ...

...mmm now im just confuzzled :confused:

Kaitlin
16-01-2005, 12:22 AM
You should have taken Biggus Dikus personaly :P ... just joking I dont think your a dikhead

Spiny Norman
16-01-2005, 07:06 AM
And getting back to Biggus Dickus...

Romani ite domum

He has a wife you know? ;)

Incontinentia ....

Incontinentia Buttocks.

ursogr8
16-01-2005, 07:16 AM
Let's not fight about Latin too. I was taught Erat and I trust my old maths teacher implicitly. ;)

Good morning Baz.

Well, I read it in a book.
A maths book whats more.
But I don't have any Latiners living with me so not inclined to pursue. :hand:

On the other score, SWMBO is now surveying contemporary articulators to get opinions. Will report back.

regards
starter

ps (Greg...> the plural 'maths' is correct; there was more than one type of 'math' in the book. No corrections please).

antichrist
16-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Quite possibly.

Though admittedly, the belief that "antichrist" actually registers on the Pope's radar (or indeed anyone's) suggests that someone may be suffering from delusions of grandeur.

At least I have once registered on Pappa's radar. As I have recalled earler, when Keating welcomed him to OZ and told him that he agreed with his family policies (i.e., no condoms as birth control or AIDS prevention) I stood up on the rails at SCG holding up very large 666 sign and booed the Christ out of him. I got bashed up for my troubles and set upon by Swiss &!!#@ guards who made me eat dust and calling me a Satanist.

I made sure I was inbetween Channel 9 camera and the Pappa, he momently stopped his address and looked over.

Pappa had just followed me from the Philippines where he had given this same message to a country reeking with overopopulation and AIDS (in some quarters).

Rincewind
16-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Well, I read it in a book.
A maths book whats more.
But I don't have any Latiners living with me so not inclined to pursue. :hand:

Here is a web link and as we know, when it comes to the internet, the truth is out there... somewhere.

Actually this is quite a good site for most things mathematical,

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/QED.html

Getting back to the matter of the articolo indeterminativo I don't know why I didn't think of looking that up on the web. Per esempio...

http://www.italica.rai.it/principali/lingua/grammar/topics/articolo.htm

Instant validation. ;)

ursogr8
16-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Here is a web link and as we know, when it comes to the internet, the truth is out there... somewhere.

Getting back to the matter of the articolo indeterminativo I don't know why I didn't think of looking that up on the web. Per esempio...

Instant validation. ;)

Baz

OK. The QED has been demonstrated to all the satisfaction of some (incl. me).

But the second URL........Bazzzzzzzz. :eh: ....it is in Italian. :(

Now I have to go cap-in-hand to SWMBO and get it translated; while at the same time SWMBO is out there surveying contemporary articulators to get opinions. I can see who will get the black-eye out of this one.

But the tone of your post is triumphant, euphoric and exultant....I will give you this much................

:hmm:
You might be right.

starter

ursogr8
17-01-2005, 09:52 AM

Instant validation. ;)

Baz
You don't think the site indicates
a thread title change is required to L'Articolo Determinativo?
starter

Rincewind
17-01-2005, 10:21 AM
You don't think the site indicates
a thread title change is required to L'Articolo Determinativo?

No. I think it indicates that this thread should soon be bare of posters all together.

ursogr8
17-01-2005, 10:52 AM
No. I think it indicates that this thread should soon be bare of posters all together.

Barry

Perhaps a bit harsh assessment by you.
I do count as a plus the revelation of A/C's style, and his contretemps with the ONE who has made an art-form of smelling tarmac. ;)

starter

ursogr8
17-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Baz

Apparently we have not given up from this end.

un ragazzo
una ragazza

caught our eye for some reason, it is significant in all this. :confused:
Page 29 of the reference.

But, in essence, we asking around the neighbourhood...probably with an intention to out-number you. :rolleyes:

And of course about once per night SWMBO trots out "what would they know anyway, they call a potato cake a scallop. :rolleyes:

yours, despairingly :(
starter

Rincewind
17-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Apparently we have not given up from this end.

un ragazzo
una ragazza

caught our eye for some reason, it is significant in all this. :confused:
Page 29 of the reference.

I don't believe it is very significant. Ragazzo and ragazza are two perfectly legitimate words in their own rights, one masculine, the other feminine. As the rule for the indefinite article varies with gender, it is really only the masculine form which is of interest to us, since spaghetto and gnocco are both masculine.

This leaves us with un ragazzo. Now since ragazzo does not begin with a gn, ps, s+consonant ot a z then it correctly takes the article un. Other examples of gn words are

uno gnomo
uno gnu

but there are really not many words beginning with a gn. However notice that pronouncing "un gnu" (correctly) is quite awkward as you have to force from the n sound directly into the gn sound. The addition of the 'o' certainly alleviates this awkwardness.

Now for s impure nouns, there are many, may more. Just a few of the more common ones are

uno sbaglio
uno scemo
uno scherzo
uno sforzo
uno sguardo
uno specchio
uno sposo
uno studente
uno svago

Perhaps some of these ring a bell. No doubt you would have heard one or two of them from your wife over the years. (although maybe not the last two). ;)

antichrist
18-01-2005, 06:10 PM
uno gnomo
uno gnu

uno sbaglio
uno scemo
uno scherzo
uno sforzo
uno sguardo
uno specchio
uno sposo
uno studente
uno svago

If Matt was here I am sure he could make up a funny "translation" for each of these, my mind is too tired from gambling on chess today so I will pass through to keeper.

ursogr8
18-01-2005, 07:27 PM

Instant validation. ;)

:whistle: :whistle:
:owned: :owned:

Dear Senor Basilio

Our authority is now the revered Nonna Campagnino. Esteemed grandmother on the in-laws side. From Calabria, Baz. Need I say more?

She says, "we say, un spagetto".
And if she says it, Baz, then that is it.

You have been gazumped by a higher authority. :uhoh:

But we are asking a few others too.

starter

Rincewind
18-01-2005, 11:24 PM

Would it be rude of me to ask if la signora Campagnino (apart from being I presume a native speaker) has any specialisation in the area? School teacher, or perhaps Professoressa dell'italiano at Rosebud Uni, or the like? Not that I've asked the local Prof myself or am castnig aspertions on her good Calabrian heritage, but just wondering as to the credentials of your higher authority. ;) (Actually on my inlaws side we have Calabresi in the mix too, but not directly).

Also, any word on the gnocco? However, words beginning with gn are so rare I would fully expect anyone who hasn't studied the grammar recently or hasn't the sort of mind that retains trivia, to not know about that exception.

Spaghetto is more clear cut. S-impure is s-impure, and there are lots of them. Whether it be spaghetto or specchio. By way of correlation, perhaps you could ask nonna if it is un or uno specchio.

Kaitlin
19-01-2005, 01:16 AM
mmm :cool: wogs

ursogr8
19-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Alas, God was unwilling. The book is not yet been returned. I'll have to check next week.

Baz

Did you think there might be other GONG people reading this thread? And got to the book before you?
On your next visit, check who has the book on loan. :uhoh:
Coudn't be Matt Sweeney, could it? :eek:

regards
starter

antichrist
20-01-2005, 04:56 AM
[

Sorry to interrupt again. But about this spagetti, Lebos make the best stuff because the make the sauce much more concentrated and stronger taste than anyone else. We used to do completely homemade, but now too busy so we take triple concentrated and they dry it a few more times out in the sun (on large flat pans). It makes it hard like real tough clay which you can then store in a jar for "years". You then need to fight it to get a piece off it. You only need to put only about one table spoon into a very large saucepan of spag. to get very richest taste and texture stays dry and not sloppy. Ask you Italo mammas what they think of this. Frankly speaking we consider our product much better and can't stand Italo varieties.

Rincewind
20-01-2005, 07:46 AM
Sorry to interrupt again. But about this spagetti, Lebos make the best stuff because the make the sauce much more concentrated and stronger taste than anyone else. We used to do completely homemade, but now too busy so we take triple concentrated and they dry it a few more times out in the sun (on large flat pans). It makes it hard like real tough clay which you can then store in a jar for "years". You then need to fight it to get a piece off it. You only need to put only about one table spoon into a very large saucepan of spag. to get very richest taste and texture stays dry and not sloppy. Ask you Italo mammas what they think of this. Frankly speaking we consider our product much better and can't stand Italo varieties.

Actually starter made a gaffe there, it's "spaghetto/i". The h is required to get the hard-g sound when the following vowel is an e or i. However, I don't want to start a discussion on that. A trip to the local supermarket should be enough to settle that score.

Regarding the richness of flavour. I find this comes not from the concentration of the tomato directly but by how much it has been cooked. Personally I like my tomato sauces to be well cooked on a low heat which leads to a strong rich flavour. However, as mentioned earlier de gustibus non est disputandum.

WRT the 'sloppiness', I find the watery consistency has more to do with the water content of the pasta rather than the sauce. Drain the pasta well in a collander before putting in the plate and you should not have a problem. Obviously the variety of pasta also matters greatly. However, mileage may vary no this score too.

ursogr8
20-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Actually starter made a gaffe there, it's "spaghetto/i". The h is required to get the hard-g sound when the following vowel is an e or i. However, I don't want to start a discussion on that. A trip to the local supermarket should be enough to settle that score.

Regarding the richness of flavour. I find this comes not from the concentration of the tomato directly but by how much it has been cooked. Personally I like my tomato sauces to be well cooked on a low heat which leads to a strong rich flavour. However, as mentioned earlier de gustibus non est disputandum.

WRT the 'sloppiness', I find the watery consistency has more to do with the water content of the pasta rather than the sauce. Drain the pasta well in a collander before putting in the plate and you should not have a problem. Obviously the variety of pasta also matters greatly. However, mileage may vary on this score too.

Baz
If we are into correcting obvious typos then could I ask you tidy up the last sentence of your post. (And, could you help Libby out in the SHOUTBOX).

Now, more importantly, this divergence to culinary issues...you know, I don't think we have had a recipe(s) thread before? :eek:
I will keep the idea in hand if I am ever trying to meet a post-target....would be a good extender. :uhoh:

regards
starter

Rincewind
20-01-2005, 08:19 AM
If we are into correcting obvious typos then could I ask you tidy up the last sentence of your post. (And, could you help Libby out in the SHOUTBOX).

I only mentioned it as it was repeated by Peter. One-off spelling mistakes are not my job. :)

BTW I couldn't be bother to fix my original post but I did fix your quote of it. Haven't thought about the ethics of that, perhaps it is an abuse.

Now, more importantly, this divergence to culinary issues...you know, I don't think we have had a recipe(s) thread before? :eek:
I will keep the idea in hand if I am ever trying to meet a post-target....would be a good extender. :uhoh:

:eh:

ursogr8
20-01-2005, 09:23 PM
[

Nice thought A/C; but a favourite down here is tuna tossed into very thin spaghetti, add chilli paste and boiled peas.

starter

antichrist
21-01-2005, 12:14 AM
Nice thought A/C; but a favourite down here is tuna tossed into very thin spaghetti, add chilli paste and boiled peas.

starter

I can't imagine what thay would taste like. I know a Filipina who used the Lebo receipe (which includes cubes of meat not mince) but added bay leaves as well, that brought it up.

My Jewish freind he cooks Moroccan (?) style fish, it is very nice.

An original Lebo yoghurt dish which is fantastic but very filling is:

Make the yoghurt
Add boiled rice to yoghurt to make thick
Make kebbah, i.e., crushed wheat in a meat paste with spices etc, then fry.
Cut cold kebbah into cubes and insert into raw dough, wrapping the dough around it. LIke a meatball.
Insert into yoghurt/rice mix.

Gives you the heaviest stomach, you can work all day on it.

ursogr8
26-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Dear Basilio,

It turns out the Captain at the Club is an authority!
This surprised me as he has a Dutch backgrund, but if Nonna was admissable then I guess there are no limits.

El Capitano says 'uno spaghetto' is correct.
Then he asked me to relay to you
>Come state voi...and he assured me you would appreciate.

All a bit much for me.
I plan to go shopping and films with SWMBO and stop in for an espressi before the film.

regards
starter

Rincewind
27-01-2005, 07:00 AM
I plan to go shopping and films with SWMBO and stop in for an espressi before the film.

I will not feed the troll.

ursogr8
27-01-2005, 07:11 AM

On the face of it a bit harsh Baz.

However, I still regard you as one of the great humourists of the BB, and many great stand-ups have had a second banana. Sometimes the lines are for that purpose.

starter

ps It was cute film btw.

Rincewind
27-01-2005, 07:17 AM
However, I still regard you as one of the great humourists of the BB, and many great stand-ups have had a second banana. Sometimes the lines are for that purpose.

Well at least you didn't spell it expressi, I guess.

ursogr8
27-01-2005, 07:27 AM
Well at least you didn't spell it expressi, I guess.

Actually, I walked from the dial-up to the lounge to check it in the Funk and Wagnall.
Don't tell me those Septic Tanks can't be trusted to spell?

starter

ps The Captain is on your side.

Rincewind
27-01-2005, 07:50 AM
ps The Captain is on your side.

As he is on the right side, there is no need to question his credentials. ;)

antichrist
27-01-2005, 08:20 AM

At the local gelato shop I deliberately checked and one sign had gelato and another gelati, what should I say to them, they may not even be Italiano.

That is another beef of mine, is Aussies or "others" doing ethnic cruisine.

First of all in about nine out of ten cases they do it awfully and get the cruisine a bad name. In many cases serving nothing other than slop and charge higher prices because have greater expectations, often the boss not working only managering and don't have the family in helping out.

Secondly, many migrants are limited in their choices because of language and education problems, etc. Doing a food outlet is something they can escape to. Yet "outsiders" will come and hijack their natural territory.

So what is your advice, if they are not Italiano blast them? And try their product and if slop curse them? And what about the spelling?

Rincewind
07-02-2005, 03:25 PM

I flicked through the 3rd ed of this volume at lunch today. I draw your attention to "Lesson II", pg 29 (in the 3rd ed). The rule for uno is given as for masculine singular nouns beginning with z, s-impure, and gn.

ursogr8
07-02-2005, 03:43 PM
^
Draw offered.

= :uhoh:

type name = starter

press clock

antichrist
07-02-2005, 05:37 PM
At the local gelato shop I deliberately checked and one sign had gelato and another gelati, what should I say to them, they may not even be Italiano.

That is another beef of mine, is Aussies or "others" doing ethnic cruisine.

First of all in about nine out of ten cases they do it awfully and get the cruisine a bad name. In many cases serving nothing other than slop and charge higher prices because have greater expectations, often the boss not working only managering and don't have the family in helping out.

Secondly, many migrants are limited in their choices because of language and education problems, etc. Doing a food outlet is something they can escape to. Yet "outsiders" will come and hijack their natural territory.

So what is your advice, if they are not Italiano blast them? And try their product and if slop curse them? And what about the spelling?

I tella you this was a genuine enquiry. will be back there mid of next week so come good by then.

Alan Shore
20-02-2005, 08:34 AM
How good is your spelling?

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/quiz/quiz.aspx?QuizID=71

I got 4 and 10 wrong :(

antichrist
20-02-2005, 09:48 AM
I tella you this was a genuine enquiry. will be back there mid of next week so come good by then.

I am going to see this shop today if you can help me out.

Also I have seen "gelatisso"? or was it "gelatissmo"?

Rincewind
20-02-2005, 09:09 PM
I am going to see this shop today if you can help me out.

Also I have seen "gelatisso"? or was it "gelatissmo"?

I can't remember ever seeing an Italian restaurant menu without at least one spelling mistake. I wouldn't hold it against them or else youwill be eatnig at home an awful lot.

The word you might have seen is gelatissimo, gelato + superlative.

antichrist
21-02-2005, 08:53 AM
I can't remember ever seeing an Italian restaurant menu without at least one spelling mistake. I wouldn't hold it against them or else youwill be eatnig at home an awful lot.

The word you might have seen is gelatissimo, gelato + superlative.

It is a bit like eating fried lice?

antichrist
30-04-2006, 10:58 AM

COGLIONI to you too