PDA

View Full Version : 2018 FIDE Women's World Championship Match- Shanghai/Chongqing

Garvinator
07-05-2018, 02:35 PM
http://china2018.fide.com/

If you did not see any publicity about this match, that is right, currently taking place is the match for the 2018 FIDE Women's World Championship Match between current champion Tan Zhongyi and challenger Ju Wenjun.

Match is over ten games. First five are in Shanghai, home town of Ju Wenjun and second five in Chongqing, home town of Tan Zhongyi.

If you have missed the start of this match, do not be too upset, because as far as I can tell, there has been no publicity for it and very few people have cared about it, outside of those directly involved in the match.

After three games, Ju leads 2.5-0.5 and those two wins have been rather dominate affairs, so unless something really changes, this ten game match could be over in short order.

But there are a few side questions?

1) How is the prize pool going to be paid out, considering FIDE has no bank account?
2) How does this match fit into the grand scheme of things?
3) Does the fact that FIDE has made NO attempt at all to promote this match really just show how little they really care about the Women's World Championship cycle? And especially the current format they have, where a new champion is crowned every year, or every 'other' year.

Game four for those who might be interested starts 3pm Shanghai time.

MichaelBaron
07-05-2018, 02:38 PM
A bit one-sided so far.
Game 3 was particularly dominant. Something went wrong right in the opening.

Garvinator
07-05-2018, 10:03 PM
Tan wins game four with white. Ju leads 2.5 - 1.5

Garvinator
19-05-2018, 04:53 PM
Clearly by the lack of updates from other posters, my earlier comments about the lack of interest in this 'FIDE Women's World Championship Match' were not misplaced.

A few comments about the match structure, design of the format and overall structure of the FIDE Women's World Championship.

We live in an age where World Champions are given little to no special advantages when competing in the World Championship match, be it the open format or the Women's title. There are no longer any draw odds and the defending champion retains. Rarely is the 'final' played in the home country of the champion.

In this match however, between two Chinese players, the match was split between the two home cities of the contenders. So I thought it was an odd choice to have the first five games in the home city of the challenger. The only guarantee in a ten game match is that the first five games will be played and so if there is any advantage to be had at all, it should go to the Champion. Ju Wenjun was able to secure a lead from the first five games, having being played in her home city and held this advantage to the end.

Does this mean that I am saying that had the match started in Tan's home city that the result would have been different? Of course not, but I find it a curious decision to hold the first five games in the challengers home city first.

Second- As most of us that try and keep up with the FIDE Women's World Championship cycle (and that can feel like peddling a bicycle uphill), the title is defended every year and a challenger is sorted out every year as well.

So, it might surprise quite a few of you that now that Ju Wenjun has just won this Women's World Championship cycle in a ten game match, she is now required to back up in six months time and defend the title again in the FIDE Knockout format, where she will start from Round one, just like all the other players.

So her chances of retaining the title are slim to none.

Incidentally, the next knockout is scheduled for this November less than six months from now and Ju Wenjun will enter in the first round like everyone else, so it's extremely likely that her reign as World Champion will be exceedingly short-lived.

And so it is no wonder that the FIDE Women's World Championship cycle is treated as a joke and an afterthought.

The top women players are either boycotting the event, giving it a miss or when they win something, they are then forced to defend their title soon after in the knockout lottery.

As has been commented before by Susan Polgar, who by the way has been rather quiet on this issue of late- once commented- Imagine if the Men's World Championship was treated like this still. Well it was and it was protests all over the place until we got the cycle we have now.

Kevin Bonham
19-05-2018, 07:03 PM
Clearly by the lack of updates from other posters, my earlier comments about the lack of interest in this 'FIDE Women's World Championship Match' were not misplaced.

I certainly wasn't much interested. At FIDE meetings it is claimed that the current system is actually what most of the top females want (Hou Yifan obviously excepted) but I've never seen evidence presented to support that claim.

Desmond
20-05-2018, 10:15 AM
120k Euros is not too shabby