Players
Masters/Major/Minor
http://iominternationalchess.com/players/masters.html?limitstart=0

Schedule
Masters: Saturday 23 September to Sunday 1 October 2017
http://iominternationalchess.com/info/tournament-schedule.html

Max Illingworth
14-09-2017, 04:09 PM
My good friend IM John-Paul Wallace is playing. I'm not aware of any other Australians but I didn't check the list since June!

lost
14-09-2017, 06:09 PM
My good friend IM John-Paul Wallace is playing. I'm not aware of any other Australians but I didn't check the list since June!

IM John-Paul Wallace is flying the flag for Oceania. Good luck in the tournament.

lost

Ian Rout
25-09-2017, 03:44 PM
I notice that this event is using random pairings for the first round. Which strikes me as one of those "innovations" in the category of "Look at me, I'm really cool and wacky and doing something different for the sake of it." - but that's another topic.

Some time ago FIDE legislated to prevent organisers jiggling last-round pairings to give players norm chances. On the one hand the Manx system is different (because it's random rather than deliberate, and done before the norm effects are known), but on the other hand it involves varying from approved pairing rules. So I was wondering if this tournament will be valid for norms - does anybody here know the answer?

MichaelBaron
25-09-2017, 05:23 PM
Rd3 - Shirov's game will probably be the most interesting game to follow. Also, Kramnik will be playing against Tarjian - one of the top US Gms in the 1970's who has been retired from chess for 35 years or so but made a comeback recently.

ER
25-09-2017, 07:35 PM
After a weird totally random pairings for round 1, the players are back to normal pairings for round 2. There were some minor upsets.
The most unusual thing is Hou Yifan gets her 3rd straight female opponents!

What are the odds of her chucking another wobbly here? :D

Kevin Bonham
25-09-2017, 09:32 PM
So I was wondering if this tournament will be valid for norms - does anybody here know the answer?

I am aware of no reason why not.

The relevant disqualifiers are:

Tournaments where the composition is changed (without QC approval) during the tournament or those where players have different conditions in terms of rounds and pairings are not valid.

and

Tournaments that make changes to favour one or more players (for example by altering the number of rounds, or the order of rounds, or providing particular opponents, not otherwise participating in the tournament), shall be excluded.

There are requirements to notify pairing systems to players in advance under the FIDE Competition Rules.

Ian Rout
26-09-2017, 10:15 AM
I am aware of no reason why not.

The relevant disqualifiers are:

Tournaments where the composition is changed (without QC approval) during the tournament or those where players have different conditions in terms of rounds and pairings are not valid.

and

Tournaments that make changes to favour one or more players (for example by altering the number of rounds, or the order of rounds, or providing particular opponents, not otherwise participating in the tournament), shall be excluded.

There are requirements to notify pairing systems to players in advance under the FIDE Competition Rules.

OK, that seem to cover it.

Having said that, if it becomes more than a passing fad I can imagine FIDE having a look at it - it's a loophole waiting to happen, with the added benefit of leaving no audit trail.

MichaelBaron
26-09-2017, 11:53 AM
What are the odds of her chucking another wobbly here? :D

And she is playing...the 4th female opponent in the row next :)

MichaelBaron
26-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Rd3 - Shirov's game will probably be the most interesting game to follow. Also, Kramnik will be playing against Tarjian - one of the top US Gms in the 1970's who has been retired from chess for 35 years or so but made a comeback recently.

Tarjian-Kramnik 1-0 - As chess-news.ru commented ''Kramnik lost to librarian from California''

Max Illingworth
26-09-2017, 04:48 PM
I have annotated one of John-Paul Wallace's games from the IoM for the upcoming ACF Newsletter. In the meantime, JP has started very well with 1.5/3 (against Bogner, Sutovsky and Movsesian respectively).

Kevin Bonham
28-09-2017, 11:45 PM
And she is playing...the 4th female opponent in the row next :)

Amazing that this has happened again. pappubahry has replicated these pairings using Vega.

After taking a half-point bye in round 5, she was paired against a male opponent in round 6.

Banana
30-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Amazing that this has happened again. pappubahry has replicated these pairings using Vega.

After taking a half-point bye in round 5, she was paired against a male opponent in round 6.

How disappointing ;)