PDA

View Full Version : World Amateur Chess Championship 2017

ER
20-10-2016, 01:26 PM
I have booked flights, accommodation, paid entry fees etc for

http://amateurchess.com/aco-world-amateur-chess-championship-kos-2017/

to be held at the iconic Hellenic island of Kos

If you are planning to enter, register ASAP. They are expecting another entries record for 2017
and one of the participating hotels is already booked out!

ER
14-05-2017, 01:45 AM
4r1k1/ppp2pbp/6p1/3b4/8/2nn3P/P1R2PPB/5R1K b - - 0 27

Dr Werner Bonrath is losing!

However, in this position I managed to check mate him with a double Knight attack
which reminded me of the final stages of a lovely combination conducted by IM Guy West
some years ago!

I have reasons to believe that the good doctor saw everything but he kept on playing in order
to let me execute the check mate on the board!

Another point is that the check mate is not forced. However, White is losing more material.

The move sequence was 27 ... Ne1 28. Rc1 Bxg2 29.Kg1 Ne2 mate

Andy009
14-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Nice win Elliott. Seems Like he could have prolonged the game slightly by playing Rxe1 after Ne1. If RxRe1+ then Bg1.

I hope you are having a great time at the tournament!

Desmond
14-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Probably not going to prolong it by much though :)

27...Ne1 (27...Ne1 28. Rc1 Bxg2 29.Kg1 Ne2) 28.Rxe1 Rxe1+ 29.Bg1 Ne2

ER
14-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Thanks RR and Andy 009 for the input.

Yes, Andy it was great. Friendly, informal and jovial atmosphere
and fantastic hospitality in both hotels, Helona & Lakitira used to accommodate 300+
participants, a new record for the event.

Depending on where we were at the time of breakfasts, lunches and dinners we could use either resort for our full board meals.
A choice of more than 20 different dishes, salads and deserts plus a variety of wines, beers and soft drinks.

Chess wise, I started disastrously!

0/3 in the first rounds with no excuses whatsoever; I was just getting smashed left right and centre.

I took off day round 4 (no half point bye because it wasn't allowed on the particular day)! so 0-4!
My original plan to get the ferry across the ditch to visit Turkey didn't eventuate since that day all hell broke loose
with heavy rain and boisterous winds stopping any boat movements in the area!

From then on I recovered and scoring 5/5 I ended up with the respectable 5/9!

Andy009
15-05-2017, 07:40 AM
5/5.wow.well done.

MichaelBaron
16-05-2017, 11:36 AM
Funny that it is called amateur championship - group A winner is actually a GM...and a professional chess player (or unemployed GM who is not doing any other jobs....depending how we define professional :))

simdeaf
16-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Funny that it is called amateur championship - group A winner is actually a GM...and a professional chess player (or unemployed GM who is not doing any other jobs....depending how we define professional :))

The regulations just say that any player has to be rated below 2400. The winner was 2395. I can believe it's amateur - the prizemoney is a measly 500 euro, the cost of attending could well be more than that and no appearance fees it would be a loss making proposition for any professional.

ER
16-05-2017, 06:06 PM
The regulations just say that any player has to be rated below 2400. The winner was 2395. I can believe it's amateur - the prizemoney is a measly 500 euro, the cost of attending could well be more than that and no appearance fees it would be a loss making proposition for any professional.

That's correct Simdeaf.

A record attendance of 310+ players from all over the world plus families and friends enjoyed a great holiday.

Most took advantage of the great discounts incl. full board at excellent 5 star resorts.

Chess wise we had GM analysis of our games, lectures and blitz tournaments all included in the entry fees.

There was also an abundance of free snacks and (non alcoholic of course) drinks throughout play.

Also included were guided journeys in various parts of the island of Kos!

I have already booked for next year's event!