PDA

View Full Version : Jiaxing chess open, Jiaxing, China, 2016

Becky
08-05-2016, 05:00 AM
Hi everyone,
I just played in the 7-round Jiaxing Chess Open (http://ratings.fide.com/tournament_details.phtml?event=134945) in Jiaxing, China. I had a bit of an embarrassing tournament results-wise, but I nevertheless enjoyed it. I thought I would share my experiences in case people want to play in later years. I'll give a matter-of-fact description in case someone would consider entering in the future:

- Everyone except me and some (Canadian?) guy was Chinese (and I'm kind of half Chinese by now). Usually I had no idea who I was playing until I got to the game itself (perhaps the pairings were on some website I was unaware of). I got my opponents to write their names on my scoresheet, but it was in Chinese and I couldn't read it. Results are now available here: http://www.chess-results.com/tnr220107.aspx
- The advertisements and material were all in Chinese. I only found out about it through one of my friends at work. I had Chinese friends book everything for me.
- The organizers want foreigners to participate.
- Being a foreigner, you automatically get a kind of celebrity status. Lots of people talk with you (once they overcome their shyness), want to take pictures with you, get their children to talk to you, and so on. I was even interviewed for JXTV (maybe I'll be on TV). My photo made the local news: http://www.cnjxol.com/news/original/content/2016-04/30/content_3624744.htm

- There were lots of juniors, maybe 90% of the field; every one of my games was against a junior.
- There was a greater proportion of girls than I've seen in Australian tournaments (maybe 30% of the field).
- I don't believe there were any titled players this time around (or, if there was, there wouldn't be anyone above FM).
- There were lots of prizes: the top 20 received prize money (+ female and junior prizes).
- It was advertised as having a 60+30 time control and with games starting at 9am. It was changed to 90+30 with games starting at 8am. I'm unsure if it's going to be FIDE rated (I would guess so).
- There was noise from traffic outside, and noise from the organizers' mobile phones and chatter, and noise from juniors being juniors. Overall, though, this wasn't a big deal for me.
- They had video cameras recording (or transmitting) the top boards.

- The venue was the Sunshine Hotel (阳光大酒店), a nice hotel. Registration included accommodation and breakfast (excellent), and lunch/dinner (virtually the same thing each meal).
- I didn't know we had shared accommodation until I was there. In my case, we got along well and became friends.

Anyway, hope this is useful to someone. (:

Frank
08-05-2016, 08:35 AM
Hi Becky, a wonderful and thoughtful read which may well be useful to other intrepid travellers.

I note Rebecca Stones was recently appointed by the ACF to represent Australia at the Asian Continental Women’s Chess Championships 2016 to be held in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, 25 May to 5 June 2016. She is presently a postdoctoral scholar at Nankai University in China.

Would you be able to write an article about your experiences for the next issue of the ACF Newsletter (out on 31 May). If so, please send to auschessnews@gmail.com Many thanks

Frank
09-05-2016, 08:07 AM
Hi Becky, just worked out who you are from Chess Results, invitation renewed, many thanks!

Becky
09-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Hahaha! Yes, it's a real honor to be representing my country overseas!! Hopefully I play well in Uzbekistan---wish me luck!! It's going to be an amazing experience regardless!

Would you like an article about Jiaxing, or Uzbekistan when I get there (or both?)? And how long would you like it to be? I'm not 100% sure I can do this, but it sounds fun.

Frank
09-05-2016, 10:54 PM
Hahaha! Yes, it's a real honor to be representing my country overseas!! Hopefully I play well in Uzbekistan---wish me luck!! It's going to be an amazing experience regardless!

Would you like an article about Jiaxing, or Uzbekistan when I get there (or both?)? And how long would you like it to be? I'm not 100% sure I can do this, but it sounds fun.

Like Oliver who wanted more, both please. For duration, on the former about what you have on CC already, and on the latter somewhat longer, because of your importance as a national representative - with close-up photos if possible. If you can add some human anecdotes or travel stories to add to the bare scores that would tantalize the palate, the editor might just lap it all up anyway. Well might you have enjoyed chuckling away there in the corner for the last 24 hours but now you are found!

Becky
10-05-2016, 11:54 AM
I'll see what I can do about the Jiaxing tournament. I asked the organizers to send me a photo from the tournament to include. I'm sure they'd be thrilled (if they could understand the message I sent)---they are quite keen on attracting foreigners.

Frank
10-05-2016, 01:28 PM
The exotic newspaper clipping from Jiaxing is good default material

Becky
13-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Haha! I live in China, so it's not so exotic for me. Here's some pics from the tournament: http://www.baixueqiyuan.com/tp/2016/0506/1292.html

Adamski
16-05-2016, 07:45 AM
Best wishes in Uzbekistan. Becky!

MichaelBaron
16-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Best wishes in Uzbekistan. Becky!

Seconded

Becky
18-05-2016, 01:30 AM
Thanks!!! Hahaha! I'm going to need it. (: *giggles*