PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Olympiad in Baku, Azerbaijan Sep 1-14 (Aus)

Pages : [1] 2

Kevin Bonham
16-04-2016, 01:53 PM
This is the main thread for discussion of the 2016 Olympiad. ACF selection notices are posted in this locked thread:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16229-Australian-Chess-Federation-Olympiad-Selections-Notices-2016

If you want to discuss Australian selections please do so on these threads:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16387-2016-Open-Olympiad-Selections-Discussion
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16388-2016-Women-s-Olympiad-Selections-Discussion-Thread

The Olympiad is officially from Sep 1-14 but in fact game 1 is on Sep 2 and the final day's play is Sep 13. There is a rest day on Sep 7. All games will start at 15:00 Baku time except the last round at 11:00. Baku is six hours behind AEST so games will start at 9 pm AEST with the last round at 5 pm AEST.

The official website is now up at http://www.bakuchessolympiad.com/

Ian Rout
13-06-2016, 09:03 PM
The official site doesn't seem to have any team lists up yet - according to FIDE rules teams have to be named two months out, which is 1 July, but a number must have been decided by now.

On a quick search chessdom advises that England's team is Michael Adams, David Howell, Nigel Short, Luke McShane, and Gawain Jones, and Serbia is Ivan Ivanišević, Robert Markuš, Nikola Sedlak, Aleksandar Inđić and Miroslav Marković. They also have the Ireland team.

Has anybody come across any others?

pax
14-06-2016, 02:42 PM
I'm interested to see an announcement about the US team: they may rival Russia and China.

MichaelBaron
15-06-2016, 12:44 AM
I'm interested to see an announcement about the US team: they may rival Russia and China.

A guess majority of th top teams will be announcing those closer to the deadline.

Ian Rout
17-06-2016, 09:36 PM
Also from chessdom, Norway is Magnus Carlsen, Jon Ludvig Hammer, Aryan Tari, Frode Olav Olsen Urkedal and (IM) Nicolai Getz.

Bill Gletsos
19-06-2016, 02:21 PM
USA Open team is:
Fabiano Caruana
Hikaru Nakamura
Wesley So
Ray Robson
Samuel Shankland

Captain is Aleksandr Lenderman

Women's team is:
Irina Krush
Anna Zatonskih
Katerina Nemkova
Nazi Paikidze
Sabina Foiser

Captain is Yasser Seirawan

Thebes
19-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Which is a shame, would've liked to see Jeffery Xiong board 5, lacks international experience but has been destroying domestically for the past few years, 2630 at 15!

Vlad
19-06-2016, 04:14 PM
Seems like a crazy decision to make for multiple reasons:

1) Only 19 points rating difference between Jeffrey and Samuel,
2) Samuel often withdraws from tournaments to protect his rating (when his performance is not very good),
3) 9 years difference in age.

So we have 15-year old kid who is naturally underrated, and 24-year old man who is overrated. Well, there must be some politics involved in this decision.

Do not forget about the recent conflict between Wesley and Samuel. I would say chances USA getting a medal are suddenly not as high...

MichaelBaron
19-06-2016, 04:33 PM

2) Samuel often withdraws from tournaments to protect his rating (when his performance is not very good),

So we have 15-year old kid who is naturally underrated, and 24-year old man who is overrated. Well, there must be some politics involved in this decision.

Do not forget about the recent conflict between Wesley and Samuel. I would say chances USA getting a medal are suddenly not as high...
While I agree that Jeffry is a better choice, I believe the decision is due to the US selection system rather than to chess politics. US team has traditionally been selected based on ratings, so unless they policy has been changed recently, higher rated players get selected automatically.

Kevin Bonham
19-06-2016, 06:34 PM

As I understand it the USA does not have selections but rather picks their team by a complex ratings-based codified formula, with automatic selection for US Champions. So the explanation is probably not politics but their foolish insistence on trying to codify a selections process, which has sometimes produced terrible results in the past. See http://www.uschess.org/content/view/11958/689/

Ian Rout
20-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Shankland did extremely well at the last Olympiad so even if they had a choice they might well have gone with him over a less tested alternative. With three top ten players in the team it seems sensible to be conservative with your choice of reserve.

pax
20-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Which is a shame, would've liked to see Jeffery Xiong board 5, lacks international experience but has been destroying domestically for the past few years, 2630 at 15!

Was Kamsky not available? He still seems to be ahead of Shankland and Xiong by my reckoning, and he has been very active recently. Next time I don't doubt that Xiong and Sevian will be well in contention.

MichaelBaron
20-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Was Kamsky not available? He still seems to be ahead of Shankland and Xiong by my reckoning, and he has been very active recently. Next time I don't doubt that Xiong and Sevian will be well in contention.

2 years ago, Kamsky announced that he is retiring from the national team. The announcement took place at the end of the last Olympiad.

pax
20-06-2016, 05:04 PM
2 years ago, Kamsky announced that he is retiring from the national team. The announcement took place at the end of the last Olympiad.

Ah. A shame, because he had at least one more in him.

Thebes
20-06-2016, 08:42 PM
Jeffery Xiong now up to 2640 after winning a very strong round robin filled with several other young stars including Sevian

Adamski
23-06-2016, 05:24 PM
Despite all the comments on Board 5, the US team is pretty strong. I expect them to do fairly well.

Capablanca-Fan
24-06-2016, 05:11 AM
Despite all the comments on Board 5, the US team is pretty strong. I expect them to do fairly well.

Might even be favorites with three super-GMs.

pax
27-06-2016, 03:29 PM
Might even be favorites with three super-GMs.

Indeed, they are going to be very powerful on boards 2 and 3.

MichaelBaron
27-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Indeed, they are going to be very powerful on boards 2 and 3.

And Shackland won a tourney in Canada (finished yesterday) with 8/9 score!

MichaelBaron
03-07-2016, 02:19 AM
Russia announced its teams today: Kramnik, Karjakin, Grishchuk, Tomashevsky and Nepomnyashiy are on the mens' team. Surprisingly, Svidler was not selected.

Capablanca-Fan
03-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Russia announced its teams today: Kramnik, Karjakin, Grishchuk, Tomashevsky and Nepomnyashiy are on the mens' team. Surprisingly, Svidler was not selected.

Why isn't the World Championship Challenger on Board 1?

Ian Rout
03-07-2016, 12:11 PM
Why isn't the World Championship Challenger on Board 1?
Perhaps because Kramnik is more experienced in team events or because he is higher rated.

Or perhaps so Karjakin won't play Carlsen.

MichaelBaron
03-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Perhaps because Kramnik is more experienced in team events or because he is higher rated.

Given tnat Team Norway is not in contention, I doubt playing/not playing Carlsen is reason. Furthermore, they could always make Karjakin take a rest day if there is such a match up. Kramnik has been leading the Russian team for years and many believe that overall, he is still a stronger player than Karjakin. Btw, there will be a tournament in Spain before the WCC match where both Carlsen and Karjakin will play.

Garvinator
03-07-2016, 01:38 PM

In order of probability, I would think it would be:
1) Playing in rating order. Kramnik is rated higher
2) There is only a small probability of Karjakin and Carlsen actually meeting, even if Karjakin was on board 1 as it would require Russia v Norway, which is unlikely. And Russia could just sit Karjakin out of that round anyways.
3) More experienced in team events. Possible, but I think Karjakin has played in quite a few team events as well.

ER
03-07-2016, 02:00 PM
From a statistical point of view:

Vladimir Kramnik has led the Russian Olympic team in all Olympiads since 2006 (5+1 consecutive Olympiads)

Alexander Grishchuk has been a member of the Russian Olympic teams in all Olympiads since 2000!!! (8+1 consecutive Olympiads)

GO RUSSIA!!!

Ian Rout
03-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Given tnat Team Norway is not in contention, I doubt playing/not playing Carlsen is reason. Furthermore, they could always make Karjakin take a rest day if there is such a match up. Kramnik has been leading the Russian team for years and many believe that overall, he is still a stronger player than Karjakin. Btw, there will be a tournament in Spain before the WCC match where both Carlsen and Karjakin will play.Realistically it would probably not be a major issue. But it would be reasonable to think that Karjakin couldn't give his best effort on Board 1 so close to the match, having to play the world elite while hiding his preparation, and putting Kramnik there makes sense.

Frank
09-07-2016, 11:53 PM
The Baku Organizers have announced at http://www.bakuchessolympiad.com/news/11/52

FIDE and the Organising Committee of the 42nd Chess Olympiad in Baku, Republic of Azerbaijan are pleased to announce that each Federation may send one (1) Head of Delegation to accompany the Open and Women Teams. The accommodation on full board basis will be covered by the Organisers for the duration of the Olympiad.
There are two clear positions. The Head of Delegation will be responsible for co-ordinating the activities of their teams. The Delegates are the officials who will represent the Federation and can vote on behalf of the Federation in the Congress.
For clarity’s sake, the Organisers are covering the costs of accommodation for one Delegate, one Head of Delegation and two teams comprised of five players plus one captain each

What is the position of people named as coaches by their national federation but not as players, captains, Delegate or Head of Delegation - are they covered for full board?

Also, has Australia nominated a "delegate who can vote on behalf of the federation"?

Frank
10-07-2016, 12:15 AM
On Monday, 04 July 2016, FIDE and the Organizing Committee of the Baku Olympiad announced that all official FIDE Delegates will receive a subsidy towards their air tickets.

"The procedure will be announced on the website shortly".

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2016, 10:27 AM
What is the position of people named as coaches by their national federation but not as players, captains, Delegate or Head of Delegation - are they covered for full board?

No.

Also, has Australia nominated a "delegate who can vote on behalf of the federation"?

That is me; I am Australia's permanent Delegate. From time to time someone else fills in for me.

Frank
10-07-2016, 11:29 AM
No.

That is me; I am Australia's permanent Delegate. From time to time someone else fills in for me.

Thanks for that

Adamski
10-07-2016, 02:54 PM
GO RUSSIA!!!
I beg to differ, ER. Go New Zealand and Australia!

ER
10-07-2016, 06:09 PM
I beg to differ, ER. Go New Zealand and Australia!

Oh please accept my apologies Adamski, I was only expressing my support for Russia as a candidate for a position somewhere in the middle of the final table.
I didn't have in mind gold, silver and bronze medals to be amply contested by Australia and New Zealand!

Ian Rout
12-07-2016, 10:50 PM
The official site is saying that team registration closes 15 July but in the meantime chessdom has identified some more.

Ukraine: Ruslan Ponomariov, Pavel Eljanov, Anton Korobov, Yuriy Kryvoruchko and Andrei Volokitin.

Israel: Maxim Rodshtein, Evgeny Postny, Tamir Nabaty, Michael Roiz and Tal Baron.

Iceland: Hannes Stefánsson, Hjörvar Grétarsson, Jóhann Hjartarson, Guðmundur Kjartansson, Bragi Þorfinnsson.

These were mentioned as newsworthy because Hjartarson is returning from a long break, and Ivanchuk (Ukraine) is not playing due to having lost interest, while Gelfand, Smirin and Sutovsky (Israel) are sitting out due to an argument with their Federation.

Iceland will probably not emulate the achievement of their soccer team.

pax
19-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Team lists out. Ding Liren on board 3: seems like a gamble.

http://www1.bakuchessolympiad.com/content/53

Ian Rout
19-08-2016, 04:04 PM

http://www1.bakuchessolympiad.com/content/53The lists appear not necessarily to all be in board order; some are but some clearly aren't.

MichaelBaron
19-08-2016, 04:19 PM

http://www1.bakuchessolympiad.com/content/53

Not really. All of the Chinese 2700+ players are very solid and hard to beat so putting stronger ones of lower boards so they ''win more games'' is an interesting strategy. Their team is quite even. An example of a ''real gamble'' is when at one of the team Events, Azerbaijan put Mamedyarov on the last board while the person on the board above his was rated about 2600 or so

Kevin Bonham
19-08-2016, 06:16 PM
Not really. All of the Chinese 2700+ players are very solid and hard to beat so putting stronger ones of lower boards so they ''win more games'' is an interesting strategy. Their team is quite even. An example of a ''real gamble'' is when at one of the team Events, Azerbaijan put Mamedyarov on the last board while the person on the board above his was rated about 2600 or so

I wonder if you're thinking of the 2012 Olympiad - Mamedyarov was not on last board but was third board with Eltaj Safarli (2620) on board 2. The point of it was that by putting Safarli in and out of the team depending on colours they gave Mamedyarov white and Mamedov black for most of the crucial rounds. Mamedyarov won the board medal as a result of this.

Or they may have done it some other time as well.

Kevin Bonham
31-08-2016, 12:13 AM
Team lists can be seen here: http://www1.bakuchessolympiad.com/content/53

Russia (Kramnik, Karjakin, Grischuk, Tomashevsky, Nepomniatchi) are #1 ahead of USA (Caruana, Nakamura, So, Robson, Shankland) and China (Wang Yue, Li Chao b, Ding Liren, Yu Yangi, Wei Yi). Then Azerbaijan, Ukraine, France, Poland, England, Hungary, Netherlands. Australia is 46th in the Open.

I didn't realise Azerbaijan had picked up Naiditsch.

For the women's the top seeds are China, Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, India and Australia is 54th.

Dusan
01-09-2016, 09:37 PM
Hi from Baku,

I have an Olympiad blog and I'll be posting daily. Enjoy!

https://dusanspawnderings.blogspot.com/

Dusan

Kevin Bonham
01-09-2016, 10:20 PM
Hi from Baku,

Dusan

Excellent; thanks for the coverage!

I'll be arriving on the 4th but I believe I'm staying in the Fairmont which is the congress hotel, so not the same hotel as the teams. Expect I'll come down to the venue a couple of times - the 9th and 10th look like quietish days on the congress calendar at the moment (though often extra meetings get scheduled) and on the last day the GA traditionally finishes early so delegates can watch the final round.

Watto
01-09-2016, 11:33 PM
Hi from Baku,

Dusan

Hi Dusan,

Thanks for the link, how exciting to be there. Guy and I have just enjoyed reading your first couple of blog posts and are looking forward to the rest. Sending you and Alex (and the rest of the team) our best wishes - go Australia!

Jean

ER
01-09-2016, 11:52 PM
No poll for this one???

Anyway. I predict Russia to win the overall count.

Australia will finish 30th to 35th men's and

47th to 53th women's!

Frank
02-09-2016, 08:16 AM
Excellent; thanks for the coverage!

I'll be arriving on the 4th but I believe I'm staying in the Fairmont which is the congress hotel, so not the same hotel as the teams. Expect I'll come down to the venue a couple of times - the 9th and 10th look like quietish days on the congress calendar at the moment (though often extra meetings get scheduled) and on the last day the GA traditionally finishes early so delegates can watch the final round.

Best wishes Kevin. Dusan's blog a godsend.

Vlad
02-09-2016, 04:27 PM
We had some interesting experience yesterday. Yuan, Molton, Anton, Max and myself went to a fancy Japanese restaurant where they make sushi in front of you. It costs about 20 AUD per head but you can eat as much as you want. A very good deal for Yuan, not necessary for Anton.:)

Unfortunately, there were too many people and their normal method where customers wait for the food to be prepared did not work very well as the food once made was immediately taken. It was almost like feeding birds - you throw a piece of bread and there are a few who start fighting for it. Well, it was not that bad but you get the point.:)

Anyway, after about 1 hour Molton still had not eaten a single piece.:)

At the end when all other competitors disappeared we got a big tray of sushi on our table. Nobody left hungry.:)

Dusan
02-09-2016, 06:12 PM
Hi Dusan,

Thanks for the link, how exciting to be there. Guy and I have just enjoyed reading your first couple of blog posts and are looking forward to the rest. Sending you and Alex (and the rest of the team) our best wishes - go Australia!

Jean

Best wishes Kevin. Dusan's blog a godsend.

Thanks so much guys; it's a pleasure to provide some of the coverage. Here's today's post:

I'll be posting in the mornings/ midday, so Aussies can expect a once-daily post in the late afternoon/ early evening.

ER
02-09-2016, 06:48 PM
(...) Tal Baron...
unfair, two legends in one! :P :)

Frank
02-09-2016, 08:08 PM
Thanks so much guys; it's a pleasure to provide some of the coverage. Here's today's post:

I'll be posting in the mornings/ midday, so Aussies can expect a once-daily post in the late afternoon/ early evening.

Great!

ggardiner
02-09-2016, 08:40 PM
We had some interesting experience yesterday. Yuan, Molton, Anton, Max and myself went to a fancy Japanese restaurant where they make sushi in front of you. It costs about 20 AUD per head but you can eat as much as you want. A very good deal for Yuan, not necessary for Anton.:)

Unfortunately, there were too many people and their normal method where customers wait for the food to be prepared did not work very well as the food once made was immediately taken. It was almost like feeding birds - you throw a piece of bread and there are a few who start fighting for it. Well, it was not that bad but you get the point.:)

Anyway, after about 1 hour Molton still had not eaten a single piece.:)

At the end when all other competitors disappeared we got a big tray of sushi on our table. Nobody left hungry.:)

Some Gold Coast kids (Yuan's generation) will still recall with some awe, Yuan, at the age of 11, breaking the world record for number of serves of pizza at the Noosa Pizza Hut. I witnessed it myself, it was very impressive. I doubt whether he could match that now. :)

Kevin Bonham
02-09-2016, 09:09 PM
Moulthun has been benched for round 1. Presumably Manuel has diagnosed him as suffering from acute title hangover with secondary sushi deprivation. ;) (Disclaimer: this comment is completely non-serious.)

I believe the games have started but the broadcast is on half-hour delay so we should see moves from 9:30.

Kevin Bonham
02-09-2016, 09:21 PM
This is odd - games are now showing with moves in the Women's section but not the Open.

Kevin Bonham
02-09-2016, 09:25 PM
Open games now showing too so report of a 30 minute delay may have been inaccurate.

Leonid Sandler
02-09-2016, 10:27 PM
5 Australians:( were not allowed to do their journalist duties.http://chess-news.ru/node/21973

MichaelBaron
02-09-2016, 11:33 PM
unfair, two legends in one! :P :)

LOl, sadly Baron does not sacrifice pieces - he blunders them instead :(

MichaelBaron
03-09-2016, 04:10 AM
Next match will be against Croatia. Very solid opponent (4 strong GMs!)

Ian Rout
03-09-2016, 09:51 AM
Open games now showing too so report of a 30 minute delay may have been inaccurate.On the video they couldn't get moves up on the e-board in the early stages and had to resort to showing close-ups of the physical board positions while trying to talk about them. According to another source the boards had been set up against the wrong games in the computer so it sounds like the delay was while this was being rectified. Presumably this won't happen again.

ER
03-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Next match will be against Croatia. Very solid opponent (4 strong GMs!)

Well, they have Kasparov on their side too! :) But you never know maybe the fact that we voted for him for the FIDE presidency a couple of years ago could inspire him to give our teams one tip or two! :P (yeah sure)! Garry, now a Croatian citizen has spent many summer holidays at a house he owns in the southern Croatian town of Makarska. I passed by there during my most recent trip in the Dalmatian Coast. I preferred not to stay there though (what's the point?) since I had to save as much daylight as possible to visit St Stefan (Sveti Stefan) in Montenegro, the place where the return match Fischer and Spassky took place in 1992.

Kevin Bonham
03-09-2016, 09:33 PM
Sudan 2-2 with Bulgaria was pretty amazing!

Aus playing top four boards in both matches, outrated on every board though not hugely in the Open. Carlsen has come out to play today but Hou Yifan is being saved for stronger foes than Montenegro.

Kaitlin
03-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Sudan 2-2 with Bulgaria was pretty amazing!

Aus playing top four boards in both matches, outrated on every board though not hugely in the Open. Carlsen has come out to play today but Hou Yifan is being saved for stronger foes than Montenegro.

Tag team chess ?

MichaelBaron
04-09-2016, 12:29 AM
Exciting match so far, with all 4 games still in progress. Anton and Yuan are doing well while David not so well. So far, looking good overall for Aus.

ER
04-09-2016, 02:12 AM
Hail Anton!!! :)

MichaelBaron
04-09-2016, 11:51 AM
Exciting match so far, with all 4 games still in progress. Anton and Yuan are doing well while David not so well. So far, looking good overall for Aus.

Very sad finish to the match, unfortunately both myself Houdini did not predict result of the match correctly as at some point positions on the board suggested 2.5-1.5 to Australia or at least 2-2 rather than 1-3.

Next up is Barbados - should be a comfortable win.

Capablanca-Fan
05-09-2016, 12:42 AM
Olympiad protest at “anti-cheating” toilet rule (https://chess24.com/en/read/news/olympiad-protest-at-anti-cheating-toilet-rule)

Judit Polgar, Jon Speelman and Malcolm Pein are leading a petition to remove the new anti-cheating rule that requires players to inform an arbiter when they want to go to the toilet. The petition argues the rule is absurd, humiliating, unworkable and can help opponents while penalising players who are nervous, older or may have a medical condition. They invite captains and players to sign the petition.

While the venue, accommodation and general organisation of the 42nd Chess Olympiad in Baku have met with almost universal praise, the new anti-cheating regulations introduced by FIDE have proven controversial.

To FIDE

We, the undersigned captains and players at the Baku Olympiad (Open and Women’s sections), wish to protest at the new rule regarding notifying arbiters when players need to go to the lavatory, noting that:

1. The lavatories have always been considered part of the Playing Area, rendering the rule absurd.

2. This is humiliating to the players who should not have to discuss their bodily functions with FIDE officials.

3. In order for the process to work the arbiters will have to remain at their stations at all times, presuming that FIDE doesn’t intend that players become unwell in the Playing Area.

Even the arbiters may have to go to the lavatory themselves at some stage and it is quite unacceptable that players under great stress should have to await their return.

4. Indeed, under the stress of chess, many players go to the lavatory repeatedly during their games. This in no way implies that they are cheating, merely nervous. Older players and those with a medical condition may also frequently have to visit the lavatories.

5. Informing the arbiter may give information to the opponent, who may decide to make a move quickly to run down the clock. A player should not be required to perform an action which may aid their opponent.

We respectfully suggest that it is not FIDE’s role to penalise players for their nervousness, age or a medical condition and trust that this noxious rule will be rescinded.

Thebes
05-09-2016, 05:00 AM
anton 3/3 +9 so far, would be very impressive to see him get back to back norms at olympiads

George Morgan
05-09-2016, 06:21 AM
Norway in round 4. Smerdon v Carlsen??

Ian CCC
05-09-2016, 08:40 AM
anton 3/3 +9 so far, would be very impressive to see him get back to back norms at olympiads

Amazing win in R3 when his FM opponent looked to be well on the way to drawing the rook ending, but when R&P v R was reached didn't seem to know Philidor's position and his king got chased away from the queening square!

Trahald
05-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Norway in round 4. Smerdon v Carlsen??

Oh, please make it so!!

pax
05-09-2016, 11:29 AM
Oh, please make it so!!

100% Carlsen will play.

Ian Rout
05-09-2016, 11:56 AM
100% Carlsen will play.Agreed, or at least 95%+. There's no motivation to rest him; he's only played two in a row, there's a rest day not far away, and if they lose this one they bring him back for a match where they really don't need him.

ratinahat
05-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Agreed, or at least 95%+. There's no motivation to rest him; he's only played two in a row, there's a rest day not far away, and if they lose this one they bring him back for a match where they really don't need him.

Apart from his fear of Smerdon ! :)

soupman_2
05-09-2016, 04:07 PM
A chance for MegaZZ to exact revenge on Carlsen?
https://markbluvshtein.wordpress.com/

George Morgan
05-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Draw is up now and Smerdon v Carlsen it is.

Becky
05-09-2016, 04:50 PM
Best of luck David!!!!! Wooo!! Go Aussie!!!!

Watto
05-09-2016, 04:54 PM
Draw is up now and Smerdon v Carlsen it is.

Also, Moulthun has black against Jon Ludvig Hammer (2651), Smirnov white against Tari (2570) and Illingworth black against Urkedal (2537):
http://chess-results.com/tnr232875.aspx?lan=1&art=3&rd=4&flag=30&wi=821
The women have a pretty tough pairing against Poland: http://chess-results.com/tnr232876.aspx?lan=1&art=3&rd=4&flag=30&wi=821

pax
05-09-2016, 05:39 PM
Also, Moulthun has black against Jon Ludvig Hammer (2651), Smirnov white against Tari (2570) and Illingworth black against Urkedal (2537):
http://chess-results.com/tnr232875.aspx?lan=1&art=3&rd=4&flag=30&wi=821
The women have a pretty tough pairing against Poland: http://chess-results.com/tnr232876.aspx?lan=1&art=3&rd=4&flag=30&wi=821

Looks to me a pairing which has half an eye on GM norm opportunities for Anton. Also on not giving him four blacks in a row, lol!

Geelong Grizzle
05-09-2016, 06:13 PM
Anything you can do ..... I reckon 1.e3 for David should be on the cards here!

MichaelBaron
05-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Looks to me a pairing which has half an eye on GM norm opportunities for Anton. Also on not giving him four blacks in a row, lol!

Dilemma for David: It is a great opportunity to play his usual attacking chess against Magnus...but from a team perspective, may be he could try to exchange everything and draw instead. Also, despite Hammer being good - I feel boards 2&3 are our best chances while boards 1 and 4 (Max black against a GM rated 100 points above him) - it is good to try to hold.

StokesyRedcliff
05-09-2016, 07:01 PM
Wow! Everyone will be tuned in tonight, Monday September 5, at 9pm Brisbane time for Smerdon-Carlsen! Go David! The official site is: http://www.bakuchessolympiad.com/ GO BOTH AUSTRALIAN TEAMS!

MIRKO
05-09-2016, 07:27 PM
does anyone know if Smerdon has played World Champ Magnus before??Go David we are all behind you!!!

Greg Holden
05-09-2016, 07:58 PM
I am SO impressed by Smirnov so far. Really great.

Kevin Bonham
05-09-2016, 08:11 PM
does anyone know if Smerdon has played World Champ Magnus before??Go David we are all behind you!!!

I don't believe they've played in a classic rated game at any rate.

soupman_2
05-09-2016, 08:47 PM
“If you can draw with Aronian from the exchange down, you’ll definitely have no problems against Magnus!”
That was Aussie GM Ian Rogers’ comment after my game with Levon Aronian. ....
Luckily, I realised that a rather remarkable transposition was possible to an obscure line of the Blackmar-Diemer Gambit
http://www.davidsmerdon.com/?p=1565

Fingers and toes crossed for more inspired play from David tonight.

simdeaf
05-09-2016, 08:56 PM
Wonder when was the last time an aussie played the world champion in a proper game
Of chess?

jammo
05-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Wonder when was the last time an aussie played the world champion in a proper game
Of chess?

Esling v Andersen 1883?

Kevin Bonham
05-09-2016, 09:47 PM
Of chess?

Don't know but I've put a thread up on that question in the Aus Chess History section.

Kevin Bonham
05-09-2016, 09:57 PM
Position seems to be off the beaten track.

Kevin Bonham
05-09-2016, 10:11 PM
As a reward for surviving the Technical Commission meeting this morning, El Presidente has been dispatched to the tournament hall as cheer squad for this historic event.

soupman_2
05-09-2016, 10:32 PM
Seen at Baku

video glimpse
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtjL7hgIykXihUSm9s_Hkla1l3uX

guruduff
05-09-2016, 10:35 PM
live on icc if you have an account. c3 sicilian with long castling.even after 15 moves

Peter
05-09-2016, 10:56 PM
Watson versus Capablanca, London 1922

Kevin Bonham
05-09-2016, 10:57 PM
Smerdon has sacrificed a pawn. The engines do not like it, of course.

MaxMikkelsen
05-09-2016, 11:18 PM
Draw!

Watto
05-09-2016, 11:19 PM
Smerdon has sacrificed a pawn. The engines do not like it, of course.

Draw. How wonderful. Playing the kind of chess he likes to play… none of this swapping off stuff. Go David! :)

Kevin Bonham
05-09-2016, 11:19 PM
All over!

1.e4 c5 2.c3 d5 3.exd5 Qxd5 4.d4 Nf6 5.Nf3 e6 6.Na3 Qd8 7.Nc4 Be7 8.Be3 cxd4 9.Qxd4 0-0 10.0-0-0 Nd5 11.Qg4 Nxe3 12.fxe3 Qc7 13.Bd3 Nd7 14.Qf4 Qc5 15.b4 Qc6 16.Nd4 Qxg2 17.Rhg1 Qh3 18.Rg3 Qh4 19.Qxh4 Bxh4 20.Rh3 Bg5 21.Rg1 h6 22.Rxg5 hxg5 23.Bh7+ Kh8 24.Bd3+ Kg8 25.Bh7+ Kh8 26.Bd3+ 1/2-1/2

18...Qh5 and 21.Bxh7+ were the major alternatives towards the end.

George Morgan
05-09-2016, 11:26 PM
A draw is a wonderful result for Smerdon although there some in the Chess24 chatroom who criticised him not playing for a win. 18 Qh4 was a blunder by Carlsen because he couldn't prevent a forced draw after that. Smirnov has also drawn now.

Kevin Bonham
05-09-2016, 11:32 PM
Anton has also drawn and Moulthun's doing alright. Unfortunately Max seems to have made a mistake so we may need Moulthun to win this to square it.

George Morgan
05-09-2016, 11:34 PM
I think the pgn is wrong. The other Rook moves to g1 on move 17, although the correct position is reached by move 21

Kevin Bonham
05-09-2016, 11:49 PM
I think the pgn is wrong. The other Rook moves to g1 on move 17, although the correct position is reached by move 21

My mistake - manually copying to engine.

idledim
06-09-2016, 12:00 AM
Hold the front page! + Three cheers for David Smerdon .... a great day for Australian Chess.

StokesyRedcliff
06-09-2016, 12:49 AM
Yes a magnificent effort against Magnus by David! Well done mate! A carton of XXXX GOLD is now owed to you by the President of the Chess Association of Queensland!

Kevin Bonham
06-09-2016, 01:09 AM
A draw is a wonderful result for Smerdon although there some in the Chess24 chatroom who criticised him not playing for a win.

Bullfight critics, ranked in rows (etc).

Looks like 1.5-2.5 vs Norway. Aus women beaten 4-0 by the very strong Polish team.

Desmond
06-09-2016, 06:38 AM
Wow well done David. So impressed

Capablanca-Fan
06-09-2016, 07:19 AM
A draw is a wonderful result for Smerdon although there some in the Chess24 chatroom who criticised him not playing for a win. 18 Qh4 was a blunder by Carlsen because he couldn't prevent a forced draw after that. Smirnov has also drawn now.

Against the reigning world champion, rated over 300 points higher, it's hard to criticise Smurf for the draw.

[Event "Chess Olympiad"]
[Site "Baku AZE"]
[Date "2016.09.05"]
[EventDate "2016.09.02"]
[Round "4.20"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[White "David Smerdon"]
[Black "Magnus Carlsen"]
[ECO "B22"]
[WhiteElo "2531"]
[BlackElo "2857"]
[PlyCount "51"]

1. e4 c5 2. c3 d5 3. exd5 Qxd5 4. d4 Nf6 5. Nf3 e6 6. Na3 Qd8
7. Nc4 Be7 8. Be3 cxd4 9. Qxd4 O-O 10. O-O-O Nd5 11. Qg4 Nxe3
12. fxe3 Qc7 13. Bd3 Nd7 14. Qf4 Qc5 15. b4 Qc6 16. Nd4 Qxg2
17. Rhg1 Qh3 18. Rg3 Qh4 [18... Qh5 =/+ — computer] 19. Qxh4 Bxh4 20. Rh3 Bg5 21. Rg1 h6
22. Rxg5 [22.Bh7+ ± — computer] 22...hxg5 23. Bh7+ Kh8 24. Bd3+ Kg8 25. Bh7+ Kh8 26. Bd3+
1/2-1/2

Adamski
06-09-2016, 08:35 AM
Very well done Smerf. No-one can take a draw against the world champion away from him.

Ian Rout
06-09-2016, 08:57 AM
A draw is a wonderful result for Smerdon although there some in the Chess24 chatroom who criticised him not playing for a win.There may be a reason that they were in the chess24 chatroom and not in Baku playing the World Champion ...

domolm
06-09-2016, 09:51 AM
Chess.com has put up a brief interview with Smerdon after the game - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELmoNHljCKk

MichaelBaron
06-09-2016, 11:08 AM
Great result for David and overall, not a bad result for team Australia. Before the match I was predicting that bouards 1 and 4 are our ''weakest link'' so it was good to see board 1 do so well. I went through the game with a chess engine and David was doing well throughout!

Kevin Bonham
06-09-2016, 08:33 PM
In the "only at Olympiads" category, the Latvian Finance Minister defeats Hou Yifan, who totally mishandled white's pawn storm.

Reizniece-Ozola,Dana (2243) - Hou,Yifan (2658)
Women's Baku Chess Olympiad chess24.com (4.1), 05.09.2016

1.c4 e6 2.Nf3 d5 3.g3 Nf6 4.Bg2 Be7 5.0-0 0-0 6.b3 c5 7.e3 Nc6 8.d3 b6 9.Nc3 Ba6 10.Bb2 Rc8 11.Qe2 Qd7 12.Rad1 Rfd8 13.Nb5 Qe8 14.e4 d4 15.e5 Nd7 16.Bc1 Bb7 17.Bg5 Ndxe5 18.Nxe5 Bxg5 19.f4 Bf6 20.Nxa7 Nxa7 21.Bxb7 Rc7 22.Bg2 Nc8 23.a4 Nd6 24.g4 g6 25.Rde1 Bg7 26.h4 Kh8 27.Bh3 f6 28.Nf3 Re7 29.Qg2 Nf7 30.Re2 Qd7 31.Rfe1 Rde8 32.g5 f5 33.h5 gxh5 34.Nh4 Qc7 35.Qf3 Kg8 36.g6 Nh6 37.Qxh5 Qxf4 38.gxh7+ Kxh7 39.Bxf5+ exf5 40.Rxe7 Qg3+ 41.Ng2 Rxe7 42.Rxe7 f4 43.Qe5 Qg4 44.Qxf4 Qd1+ 45.Ne1 Qh5 46.Nf3 Nf5 47.Rb7 Qg6+ 48.Qg5 Qe6 49.Qh5+ Kg8 50.Rb8+ Bf8 51.Qg4+ 1-0

soupman_2
06-09-2016, 11:58 PM
Susan Polgar interviews Anton
http://www1.bakuchessolympiad.com/news/11/241 text
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf6z5gkv3Ls video

soupman_2
07-09-2016, 12:30 AM
Dana Reizniece-Ozola, Latvia's Finance Minister, surprises herself with victory over Hou Jifan, Women's World Champ:
https://twitter.com/DanaReiznieceOz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m54GStRFJ5s analysis
What is it with these finance types, taking it up to the World Champs!

MichaelBaron
07-09-2016, 12:40 AM
Dana Reizniece-Ozola, Latvia's Finance Minister, surprises herself with victory over Hou Jifan, Women's World Champ:
https://twitter.com/DanaReiznieceOz
What is it with these finance types, taking it up to the World Champs!

Not only she is a Minister for Finance..she is also mother of 4!

soupman_2
07-09-2016, 01:05 AM
Commentary on Smerdon vs Carlsen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nSJalIVShU

Kevin Bonham
07-09-2016, 02:37 AM
Good result 3-1 against Albania. Would have been easy for it to be a bit of a comedown and an upset risk after yesterday's excitement.

Kevin Bonham
07-09-2016, 02:57 AM
Pretty amazing save by Heather today - from a very lost position managed to bail out into an R vs R+2P that was still lost but opponent didn't manage to win it. Unfortunately that was our only half point from the match though - very tough pairing.

MichaelBaron
08-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Pretty amazing save by Heather today - from a very lost position managed to bail out into an R vs R+2P that was still lost but opponent didn't manage to win it. Unfortunately that was our only half point from the match though - very tough pairing.

Brazil is an interesting opponent to have the are rated higher on all board but somehow I feel Australia has a good chance as our strongest team is fielded and the rating differences are not that significant!

Dusan
08-09-2016, 05:34 PM
Brazil is an interesting opponent to have the are rated higher on all board but somehow I feel Australia has a good chance as our strongest team is fielded and the rating differences are not that significant!

I think Brazil are an ideal team to play at this point. Our boys will be very motivated to get a win!

Update on round 5/ Bermuda Party:

George Morgan
09-09-2016, 12:37 AM
Smirnov wins, Ly loses, Zhao draws and it's down to Smerdon who has the edge.

pax
09-09-2016, 12:58 AM
A great win, and a continuing extraordinary run at Olympiads for Anton.

Kevin Bonham
09-09-2016, 12:59 AM
Smirnov wins, Ly loses, Zhao draws and it's down to Smerdon who has the edge.

And beats Fier with black so Australia beats Brazil 2.5-1.5. Great result!

Kevin Bonham
09-09-2016, 01:07 AM
Aus women 3-1 vs Trinidad + Tobago. Biljana lost from a good position.

Kevin Bonham
09-09-2016, 01:14 AM
Site has just started showing Zhao's game as a loss and result as 2-2 although final position is even. Hopefully an error!

MichaelBaron
09-09-2016, 01:20 AM
ChessBomb shows 2.5-1.5 to Australia. Our best result in this Ollympiad so far!

Geelong Grizzle
09-09-2016, 01:47 AM
Fantastic win by Anton - Black's kingside was looking a bit shaky at move 27, but by the end, Anton had smashed it to pieces.

Kevin Bonham
09-09-2016, 02:51 AM
Fantastic win by Anton - Black's kingside was looking a bit shaky at move 27, but by the end, Anton had smashed it to pieces.

Haha, around move 18 (just before black made a big mistake) Gary Wastell and I were looking at the game between meetings. I said something like that Anton's position was alright but it didn't seem like he was going to smash the guy the way he sometimes does. Oops; shows what I know ...

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5 4.Bg5 Bg7 5.Bxf6 Bxf6 6.cxd5 c5 7.dxc5 Nd7 8.e3 0-0 9.Bc4 Nxc5 10.Nge2 Qb6 11.Qd2 Bf5 12.0-0 Rac8 13.Rac1 Rfd8 14.b3 a6 15.Nd4 Ne4 16.Nxe4 Bxe4 17.Rfd1 Kg7 18.Ne2 Qd6 19.f3 Bf5 20.e4 Bd7 21.Qe3 b5 22.Bd3 Bb2 23.Rb1 Ba3 24.b4 a5 25.e5 Qc7 26.d6 exd6 27.exd6 Qb8 28.Nf4 Bxb4 29.Nh5+ gxh5 30.Qg5+ Kh8 31.Qf6+ Kg8 32.Bxh7+ Kxh7 33.Rd5 Qb6+ 34.Kf1 Rc5 35.Qxf7+ Kh8 36.Qxh5+ Kg7 37.Qg5+ Kh7 38.Rxb4 axb4 39.Rxc5 Be8 40.Qh4+ Kg7 41.Qd4+

In fact as amazing as all that was, 29.Rxb4 is the easier win. Black blundered with 37...Kh7 when either ...Kf7 or ...Kf8 survives.

Kevin Bonham
09-09-2016, 04:03 AM
Yep we did indeed defeat Brazil and now we play a seriously strong opponent, Poland (seeded 7th)

1 GM Wojtaszek Radoslaw 2736 POL 1 1 ½ ½ ½ 3,5 5 2555 3,5 3,37 0,13 10 1,3
2 GM Duda Jan-Krzysztof 2675 POL 1 1 1 1 1 ½ 5,5 6 2502 5,5 4,20 1,30 10 13,0
3 GM Bartel Mateusz 2646 POL 1 1 0 ½ 0 2,5 5 2455 2,5 3,63 -1,13 10 -11,3
4 GM Piorun Kacper 2681 POL 1 ½ 0 1,5 3 2452 1,5 2,36 -0,86 10 -8,6
5 GM Swiercz Dariusz 2639 POL 1 1 0 ½ 1 3,5 5 2412 3,5 3,82 -0,32 10 -3,2

Haven't heard of their board 4 before despite his high rating.

Kevin Bonham
09-09-2016, 05:59 AM
In Dekic - Johnson, it seems after black's 37th that white is lost, but there is a very nice resource 38.Nf2!! ( if the rook takes it, Rd1) which still (more or less) wins.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 0-0 8.Qd2 Nc6 9.0-0-0 d5 10.Kb1 Nxd4 11.Bxd4 dxe4 12.Bxf6 Qxd2 13.Rxd2 Bxf6 14.Nxe4 Bg7 15.Bc4 b5 16.Bxb5 Rb8 17.c4 a6 18.Ba4 Be6 19.Bb3 Rfc8 20.Rc2 a5 21.Rd1 Rb4 22.Rcd2 Be5 23.Rd8+ Rxd8 24.Rxd8+ Kg7 25.Ra8 Bxc4 26.Rxa5 Bd3+ 27.Ka1 Bxh2 28.Nc5 Bc4 29.Bxc4 Rxc4 30.Kb1 Bd6 31.Nd3 Rh4 32.a4 Rh2 33.Rd5 Rxg2 34.a5 h5 35.a6 h4 36.a7 h3 37.a8=Q h2 38.Qa4 h1=Q+ 39.Ka2 Rg1 40.Qd4+ Kg8 41.Ne5 Ra1+ 42.Kb3 Bxe5 43.Rd8+ Kh7 44.Qxe5 Qxf3+ 45.Kb4 Qb7+ 46.Kc3 Qc6+ 47.Kd2 Qc1+

Anyway, Aus(W) have an extremely important match tomorrow

Dr3laDc1SeM

Kevin Bonham
09-09-2016, 06:03 AM
Poland aren't having a great tournament so far. They lost to Cuba and drew with Moldova and Paraguay (who are both only slightly better than us). Duda is going great guns but they're struggling on the lower boards.

Adamski
09-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Go the Kiwi women!

Rincewind
09-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Ahhh Live and Sweaty.

MichaelBaron
09-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Poland aren't having a great tournament so far. They lost to Cuba and drew with Moldova and Paraguay (who are both only slightly better than us). Duda is going great guns but they're struggling on the lower boards.

That is what I was about say :). And our top performer is on board 4. Hopefully, Australia will field the same team against Poland as against Brazil. Also, I think David is doing extremely well against strong oposition recently (draw against Magnus, win against Brazil) so on higher boards, things are also not looking to gloomy.

pax
09-09-2016, 11:13 AM
Ahhh Live and Sweaty.

Absolutely trailblazing show. I find it interesting (and somewhat sad) that the most prominent female voices in sports commentary are still the ones who were prominent on that show (Karen Tighe and Debbie Spillane particularly).

Solo
09-09-2016, 11:33 AM
Libby Gore was on ABC news24 this morning, and Andrew gave a great speech on Euthanasia recently I think on that channel. It is amazing they are all still with ABC! I think Libby is on radio in Melbourne, and Debbie in Sydney. Ian and Cathy Rogers had a guest appearance on Live & Sweaty!

Go Aussies!

pax
09-09-2016, 01:53 PM
If I read the tea leaves correctly, Anton will probably be white on Board 3 vs Bartel or Piorun. On form, that looks a good chance.

MichaelBaron
09-09-2016, 04:45 PM
If I read the tea leaves correctly, Anton will probably be white on Board 3 vs Bartel or Piorun. On form, that looks a good chance.

The downside of giving Anton white on board 3 is Max with Black against a 2600+ GM on board 4...

pax
09-09-2016, 06:40 PM
The downside of giving Anton white on board 3 is Max with Black against a 2600+ GM on board 4...

Well any result against a top 10 side will need someone to step up. Two years ago it was Max vs Nisipeanu.

Kevin Bonham
09-09-2016, 06:46 PM

The upside, if my calculations are correct, is that a non-loss today would get Anton's live rating to 2500.

Garvinator
09-09-2016, 06:57 PM
The upside, if my calculations are correct, is that a non-loss today would get Anton's live rating to 2500.
And if the team captain and coaches, plus players are aware of this consideration, which can be missed, could be a key factor in deciding which board Anton plays on considering we have a very strong opponent regardless of which 4 of the 5 are chosen this round.

Is Anton reaching over 2500 this round dependant on getting a high enough rated opponent, or are all of Poland's players going to get him there with a win/draw?

pax
09-09-2016, 07:33 PM
And if the team captain and coaches, plus players are aware of this consideration, which can be missed, could be a key factor in deciding which board Anton plays on considering we have a very strong opponent regardless of which 4 of the 5 are chosen this round.

Is Anton reaching over 2500 this round dependant on getting a high enough rated opponent, or are all of Poland's players going to get him there with a win/draw?

I think all of them are high enough, but the board draw is up, and he's playing Bartel.

Kevin Bonham
09-09-2016, 07:37 PM

I get that a win/draw against any of them is sufficient. A draw against the lowest-rated would get him to 2499.5 which rounds up to 2500. (I'm assuming chess-results has the right k-factor for his past results, this has been an issue before!) However to play the lowest-rated he would have had to be black.

Anyway it's Smerdon-Wojtaszek (that will be interesting!), Duda-Zhao, Smirnov-Bartel and Swiercz-Illingworth. A team that can have Swiercz on bottom board is pretty scary!

Garvinator
09-09-2016, 08:30 PM
I get that a win/draw against any of them is sufficient. A draw against the lowest-rated would get him to 2499.5 which rounds up to 2500. (I'm assuming chess-results has the right k-factor for his past results, this has been an issue before!) However to play the lowest-rated he would have had to be black.

Anyway it's Smerdon-Wojtaszek (that will be interesting!), Duda-Zhao, Smirnov-Bartel and Swiercz-Illingworth. A team that can have Swiercz on bottom board is pretty scary!
So it does look like they are going after the 2500 with that board order.

Desmond
09-09-2016, 09:10 PM
I get that a win/draw against any of them is sufficient. Go Anton!

pax
09-09-2016, 11:26 PM
So it does look like they are going after the 2500 with that board order.

Moulthun was due a rest anyway, and he was coming off a loss.

ratinahat
09-09-2016, 11:30 PM
They got it! The 2500 rating. Well played Anton!

pax
09-09-2016, 11:40 PM
They got it! The 2500 rating. Well played Anton!

Yes, comfortable draw for Anton, and the other three looking in pretty good shape. Especially Max, who has a very good position, and with Swiercz apparently down to playing on the increment.

Garvinator
10-09-2016, 12:40 AM
What a difference a few years makes. Looks like for the 2018 Open team, if you do not have GM next to your name, it is going to be very difficult indeed to make the team.

In about a year, the 2016 Olympiad Open team could be an all GM team.

soupman_2
10-09-2016, 01:07 AM
The swimmer, the chess champ and the singer
Magnus in "take no prisoners" mode today?

Kevin Bonham
10-09-2016, 01:44 AM
Magnus walked past me just after he won and even after winning he was looking pretty moody.

Skulte
10-09-2016, 02:52 AM
Magnus walked past me just after he won and even after winning he was looking pretty moody.

I realised once I was peeing next to him at the urinals at the London Chess Classic. #ClaimToChessFame
He seemed to look pretty moody then as well, but I have a feeling that it's the classic Norwegian look. :)

Vlad
10-09-2016, 07:57 AM

Just missing your point completely? What is so good about 2500? Anton's live rating was 2501 after the first 2 rounds in Budapest, how could it possibly be a consideration? He is still below the highest rating he has ever been to.

Watto
10-09-2016, 08:34 AM
Just missing your point completely? What is so good about 2500? Anton's live rating was 2501 after the first 2 rounds in Budapest, how could it possibly be a consideration? He is still below the highest rating he has ever been to.

I must admit I couldn't see that getting Anton's live rating to 2500 would have entered into the equation at all in terms of selecting the team to play Poland so good to have this confirmed. I didn't know his live rating had already got there but it just seemed like a non issue given how many rounds there are still to go, that it's pretty inevitable that he'd get there and there are more pressing issues to consider - thought pax' 141 post made sense.

Next round Open team play ICCD (International Chess Committee of the Deaf) and the Women are up against Malaysia.

pax
10-09-2016, 09:30 AM
Next round Open team play ICCD (International Chess Committee of the Deaf) and the Women are up against Malaysia.

Today seems like one round where Anton's norm prospects might be a minor consideration, as they probably want to avoid the possibility of him playing a 2050 rated player on board four.

ER
10-09-2016, 11:55 AM
We 'll all be laughing at all this one day when GM Anton Smirnov reaches comfortably 2650+! Go Anton!

Kevin Bonham
10-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Just missing your point completely? What is so good about 2500? Anton's live rating was 2501 after the first 2 rounds in Budapest, how could it possibly be a consideration?

Aha. I was not aware of this (and nor, by the way, was Manuel, so it wasn't a consideration for him either.)

Vlad
10-09-2016, 04:41 PM
The other thing - you can correct me here. As far as I remember, crossing of 2500 only counts if one already has at least 1 GM norm. If one crosses 2500 and then goes down and achieves all 3 GM norms while having rating below 2500, the achievement of 2500 rating is still required.

Bulldozer
10-09-2016, 05:24 PM
The other thing - you can correct me here. As far as I remember, crossing of 2500 only counts if one already has at least 1 GM norm. If one crosses 2500 and then goes down and achieves all 3 GM norms while having rating below 2500, the achievement of 2500 rating is still required.

I don't think so. The wording in the law is not clear but what's certain is that either you are allowed to achieve the threshold at absolutely any time, or you have to achieve it after *all* norms (not after just one). Personally, I think the former is correct.
See 1.5 here: http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=174&view=article

Vlad
10-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Looks like you are right. They probably have changed the wording - my memory of this rule is from a few years ago.

Kevin Bonham
10-09-2016, 05:58 PM
Bulldozer is correct. You can achieve the rating at any time - before the norms, between them, after them - it doesn't matter.

There have been many changes in these rules over time. At one time there was a time limit on achieving the rating target and now there is not. There are more changes coming - this may be the last Olympiad at which a norm is worth 20 games.

MichaelBaron
10-09-2016, 11:14 PM
The ''talk of the town'' is Jamie Kenmure trying to check Nigel Short for Cheating. Unfortunately the article is in Russian... http://chess-news.ru/node/22012

Kevin Bonham
10-09-2016, 11:56 PM
The ''talk of the town'' is Jamie Kenmure trying to check Nigel Short for Cheating. Unfortunately the article is in Russian... http://chess-news.ru/node/22012

Jamie is also being pursued by an enraged Papua New Guinean re the dispute about the registration of PNG teams for the previous Olympiad so he certainly leads an interesting life.

pax
11-09-2016, 12:33 AM
Quick result tonight, with a solid 3-1 win, with Smerdon losing, but the other three winning, all within minutes of each other it seemed.

Anton's norm chances are now looking very strong, with 1/2 sufficing for a nine game norm if his next two opponents average over 2246. If they average over 2489, then I believe even 0.5/2 will suffice.

Kevin Bonham
11-09-2016, 03:36 AM
Aus women had a (slight) upset loss on paper 1.5-2.5 to Malaysia. It does seem from their results in prior rounds that Malaysia are all underrated. We now play Tajikistan (72) who are also performing well above rating and must not be underestimated. In fact they are currently ranked above us.

Kevin Bonham
11-09-2016, 06:05 AM
Aus open play Kazakhstan (37) who are on the whole going pretty well. Their match results have been up and down including a 3.5-0.5 crushing of Brazil but also a loss to Singapore (59). A tough match.

Adamski
11-09-2016, 09:11 AM
Great to see Max draw on board 4 v Poland! Then follow up with a win.

MichaelBaron
11-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Great to see Max draw on board 4 v Poland! Then follow up with a win.

Yes, he is not losing everything :).

Re Kevin's ''tough match'' suggestion - I agree, the match is not going to be easy. One of the Kazakh team members posts regularly about the team on chessglum.com (yet another Russian language chess forum). The guys appear to be thrilled to be playing at the ollympiad and they will fight very hard.

Kazakh players know Australia chess quiite well as some of them have been taking part in Auzzie tournaments recently. On the positive side, their team is not very young so it increases our chances as the event has been going for a while now and they may be a bit tired.

MIRKO
11-09-2016, 11:27 AM
I Wonder if Borat is playing???

pax
11-09-2016, 12:17 PM
A tricky decision for team selection. It's a critical match, clearly, yet Smerdon is coming off two losses, and is due a rest. Do you drop your top board for such a critical encounter? Fortunately the team is very even, and exchanging David for Max in reasonable form is not a big cost. Plus if Anton plays board three, he will have white vs a high rated opponent, which is probably good for his norm chances.

bundys_bro
11-09-2016, 01:09 PM
I feel as though they missed the boat to give Dave the rest. He should have had yesterday off the whole team was rated above the opponent and Zhao has had a rest already. Would have only affected board 1 and the other 3 won their games.

I feel given our current position it's too late to rest him now

MichaelBaron
11-09-2016, 01:31 PM
I know it is tough to play after two losses but David is a strong-minded person so I think he can. With 3 rounds to go and with white pieces, he could be playing solidly and not losing. On lower boards, Kazakhstan is not outrating AUS significantly so draws on boards 1 and 2 (Zhao can draw with black) are OK.

pax
11-09-2016, 02:43 PM
I've no doubt David is capable of playing strongly. This is why it's so tough. Who do you drop? Moulthun has to play, Max is coming off a couple of very good results and Anton is on fire, and will want to play for norm chances.

Geelong Grizzle
11-09-2016, 03:02 PM
I'm sure if their 4th board Ismygambitover wants to know that, Max will show him that it is.

Garvinator
11-09-2016, 04:06 PM
Is someone able to translate the article, because I can not even find it in Russian? When I go to chess news and click on the English symbol/flag, it clicks over to general news from various tournaments.

Kevin Bonham
11-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Smerdon rested. Kazhgaleyev not playing for Kazakhstan.

Altecman
11-09-2016, 04:33 PM
Apologies if this has been answered else where, but the thread is long and I have not been keeping up to date with it.

If Anton gets a GM norm is it a double norm?

Frank
11-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Smerdon rested. Kazhgaleyev not playing for Kazakhstan.

Doubtless he is briefing his Open team on the Australians in detail.

pax
11-09-2016, 06:01 PM
Apologies if this has been answered else where, but the thread is long and I have not been keeping up to date with it.

If Anton gets a GM norm is it a double norm?

20 game norms apply, I believe.

pax
11-09-2016, 06:04 PM
I'm sure if their 4th board Ismygambitover wants to know that, Max will show him that it is.

He's playing Anton. Two players in red hot form. A draw would be an excellent result.

MichaelBaron
11-09-2016, 06:19 PM
I've no doubt David is capable of playing strongly. This is why it's so tough. Who do you drop? Moulthun has to play, Max is coming off a couple of very good results and Anton is on fire, and will want to play for norm chances.

Tough call. I would drop Max. But then again, Aus captain knows best how players feel on the day and will probably make a decision accordingly.

MichaelBaron
11-09-2016, 06:20 PM
Doubtless he is briefing his Open team on the Australians in detail.

Other than Smerdon (who is not playing) he met all others while in Australia so has a fairly good idea about their chess.

Kevin Bonham
11-09-2016, 07:40 PM
20 game norms apply, I believe.

Correct. This might be the last Olympiad for which this is the case as the title regs are going to change from mid-2017. What I have not explored yet is whether a 20-game norm from 2016 will still be worth 20 games in the event that the player has not qualified for the title by mid-2017.

Tony Dowden
11-09-2016, 07:42 PM

What actually happened? In Daniel King's video of the round (he showcased Short's win) he implied Short was expected to acquiesce to see kind of random search around move 35 when the payers were in mutual time-trouble. Surely not???

Ian CCC
11-09-2016, 08:28 PM
What actually happened? In Daniel King's video of the round (he showcased Short's win) he implied Short was expected to acquiesce to see kind of random search around move 35 when the payers were in mutual time-trouble. Surely not???

Apparently, on the way back from the toilet, Nigel Short was asked to submit to a check described in the following instruction to players. Apparently, he refused. I'm not aware of any follow up by the arbiters.

"DURING THE ROUND: there will be random checks for approximately 30 to 40 players. The checks will be done by Anti Cheating Arbiters with the use of the non-linear scanners and detectors, and will take 5 to 10 seconds for every check. In case of any indication, a thorough check will follow, according to Article 11.3.b of the Laws of Chess (in a private room, in the presence of Sector Arbiter and/or Chief Arbiter, etc. If a player refuses to cooperate under these obligations, the arbiter shall take measures in accordance with Article 12.9 and forfeit the player). Special attention will be paid to the first four (4) Matches of every Section, where about 20 players from both Sections will be checked randomly during every round. The Sector Arbiter responsible for Anti-Cheating, in cooperation with the Chief Arbiter, will decide on the players to be checked in every round."

Watto
11-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Apparently, on the way back from the toilet, Nigel Short was asked to submit to a check described in the following instruction to players. Apparently, he refused. I'm not aware of any follow up by the arbiters.

According to Nigel's facebook posts, he was thoroughly checked after the game and given an official warning.

cathyc
11-09-2016, 10:34 PM
Is it true that the rules are such that Smirnov, if he gets a GM norm, can then keep playing the Olympiad without the norm being under threat? Also, will the result of this game today (Round 9) be enough for him to have the norm?

pax
11-09-2016, 10:40 PM
Is it true that the rules are such that Smirnov, if he gets a GM norm, can then keep playing the Olympiad without the norm being under threat? Also, will the result of this game today (Round 9) be enough for him to have the norm?

Yes, that's correct. A norm after nine games will still count even if he loses the tenth and does not earn a ten game norm. Since it's an Olympiad, any norm (nine, ten or eleven games) will count as though it were 20 games.

pax
11-09-2016, 10:41 PM
He's playing Anton. Two players in red hot form. A draw would be an excellent result.

Though at this stage, it looks like a draw is not entering Anton's thoughts!

pax
11-09-2016, 11:36 PM
Utegaliyev-Ly is interesting: same age, same rating. Utegaliyev curiously took almost a five year break from chess, but seems not to have taken a back step since.

pax
11-09-2016, 11:59 PM
Anton wins, and in the process virtually guarantees his GM norm. Congratulations Anton!

Kevin Bonham
12-09-2016, 12:00 AM
Anton has just smashed his opponent.

pax
12-09-2016, 12:15 AM
Time to start doing some board prize calculations!

cathyc
12-09-2016, 12:28 AM
Anton wins, and in the process virtually guarantees his GM norm. Congratulations Anton!

What would stop him at this point? Would he need not only to lose both his games but to low rated opponents? Ie if he loses both, but the opponents are rated high enough he'd be okay?

Frank
12-09-2016, 12:33 AM
Anton has just smashed his opponent.

"I will make the heavens tremble"

Kevin Bonham
12-09-2016, 12:59 AM
What would stop him at this point?

By my calculations all that can stop him is if he forfeits a game or both his remaining opponents forfeit. Any OTB result against a player of any or even no rating in his next game is a 9-game GM norm which becomes a 20-game norm under the Olympiad rules.

Kevin Bonham
12-09-2016, 01:13 AM
Time to start doing some board prize calculations!

Note that board prizes are actually by performance rating not score. chess-results is misleading (again). See http://bakuchessolympiad.com/content/44 There is an 8-game minimum. Going into this round Anton was 11th.

Andrew Hardegen
12-09-2016, 01:18 AM
What would stop him at this point? Would he need not only to lose both his games but to low rated opponents? Ie if he loses both, but the opponents are rated high enough he'd be okay?

From what I gather, FIDE's use of the adjustable rating floor (FIDE Title Regulations 1.46b & 1.46c) is intended to prevent the situation where a player achieves a title performance over 8 rounds, but misses out of a norm by virtue of being paired against a very low rated player in the 9th round. If Anton's opponent in Round 9 happens to be rated below 2200, his/her rating (or, to greater effect, the rating of his lowest-rated opponent) can be raised to 2200 for the purpose of norm calculations. In statistical parlance, this robustifies the mean, making it less vulnerable to extreme values.

This means that provided one of Anton's remaining opponents turns up and makes a move, Anton will score at least 7/9 -- possibly more -- against a field of average rating at least 2390 (by my calculations), thus meeting the requirement for a 9 game GM norm. As previous posters have pointed out, this will count for a 20 game norm.

If Anton turns up to one or more of the remaining games, and none of his opponents turn up, then by my reading of 1.41c, Anton will still have a title result from 8 games and will receive an 8 game norm (which will also count for 20 games).

My congratulations to Anton! A board prize looks like a realistic possibility and I'm certainly not going to bet against him.

Kevin Bonham
12-09-2016, 01:22 AM
If Anton turns up to one or more of the remaining games, and none of his opponents turn up, then by my reading of 1.41c, Anton will still have a title result from 8 games and will receive an 8 game norm (which will also count for 20 games).

This is debatable. 1.41c applies only to 9 round events and the Olympiad is an 11 round event. Quite possibly the QC would make an exception should it happen twice though.

Kevin Bonham
12-09-2016, 01:23 AM
It looks a lot like we will beat Kazakhstan, which is another great result.

Bill Gletsos
12-09-2016, 01:34 AM
It looks a lot like we will beat Kazakhstan, which is another great result.Moulthun has just drawn so we have beaten them.

Kevin Bonham
12-09-2016, 04:40 AM
We now get France (8)

1 GM Vachier-Lagrave Maxime 2813 FRA ½ ½ ½ 1 1 1 ½ 5,0 7 2759 5 5,29 -0,29 10 -2,9
2 GM Maze Sebastien 2617 FRA 1 1 ½ ½ 0 1 0 0 4,0 8 2513 4 4,93 -0,93 10 -9,3
3 GM Edouard Romain 2635 FRA 1 1 ½ 0 1 ½ ½ 4,5 7 2576 4,5 4,84 -0,34 10 -3,4
4 GM Fressinet Laurent 2664 FRA 1 ½ 1 1 1 1 5,5 6 2857 5,5 4,44 1,06 10 10,6
5 GM Bauer Christian 2623 FRA 1 1 ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ 5,0 8 2565 5 5,47 -0,47 10 -4,7

So Smerdon gets to play the world #2 in the same event as the world #1 (unless France rest him for some reason). France aren't having a great event so far - they've had a lot of 2-2s and a loss against lower teams.

Aus (w) play Indonesia (112).

Aus

Capablanca-Fan
12-09-2016, 08:04 AM
So Smerdon gets to play the world #2 in the same event as the world #1 (unless France rest him for some reason). France aren't having a great event so far - they've had a lot of 2-2s and a loss against lower teams.
So probably more likely they will need to field their best. Why isn't Bacrot playing though? At 2692 he is higher rated than anyone on the team but MVL.

rob
12-09-2016, 08:38 AM
So probably more likely they will need to field their best. Why isn't Bacrot playing though? At 2692 he is higher rated than anyone on the team but MVL.
According to reports, including this article by Manuel Weeks, Bacrot is the head coach of the Azerbaijani team https://en.chessbase.com/post/begins-next-thursday-42nd-chess-olympiad-in-baku

Adamski
12-09-2016, 08:52 AM
Anton is on fire! And yet it doesn't, seem that long ago that I played him (and won) as an 8-9 year old, at norths. Hail the next Aussie GM in waiting!

pax
12-09-2016, 08:53 AM
Note that board prizes are actually by performance rating not score. chess-results is misleading (again). See http://bakuchessolympiad.com/content/44 There is an 8-game minimum. Going into this round Anton was 11th.

Are you sure about this? It looked to me that he was about fourth on to before the round and about third now. The chess-results performance rankings are by board position, not team position so they don't really help.

pax
12-09-2016, 11:06 AM
So Anton has now played 17 games at Olympiads for 12 wins, 5 draws and no losses. He must feel bullet proof.

StokesyRedcliff
12-09-2016, 11:15 AM
Anton is amazing! Just 13 years old at Tromso and just 15 years old at Baku! Imagine what he does when he is 17 years old! Amazing Anton!

pax
12-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Anton is amazing! Just 13 years old at Tromso and just 15 years old at Baku! Imagine what he does when he is 17 years old! Amazing Anton!

Board 1 at the head of an all-GM team seems pretty likely!

pax
12-09-2016, 12:31 PM

It looks likely for Maze to be dropped again. MVL will play, and Fressinet is on fire. It's a diabolical selection choice now for Australia. Anton is the only one due for a rest, but he's raging hot and surely has to play as long as he's feeling ok (also to lock in that norm to insure against a final round no-show). Max is also hitting great form, but might be the one to miss out.

Thebes
12-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Justin Tan mentioned the possibility of a Double GM norm, what are the requirements for that?

Kevin Bonham
12-09-2016, 03:46 PM
Are you sure about this? It looked to me that he was about fourth on to before the round and about third now. The chess-results performance rankings are by board position, not team position so they don't really help.

Yes I've just noticed that problem so it seems like the best we can do is look at their board prize listing and look at the performance ratings rather than the score. Which puts him currently third by a point.

Kevin Bonham
12-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Justin Tan mentioned the possibility of a Double GM norm, what are the requirements for that?

It's automatic. Any 9-game norm in an Olympiad is worth 20 games under the current system.

Greg Holden
12-09-2016, 04:15 PM

Really fantastic. I'm so happy for the guy.

Watto
12-09-2016, 04:17 PM
Australia (AUS) France (FRA)
15.1 GM Smerdon, David C 2531 (W) - GM Vachier-Lagrave, Maxime 2813
15.2 GM Zhao, Zong-Yuan 2550 (B) - GM Maze, Sebastien 2617
15.3 IM Smirnov, Anton 2482 (W) - GM Edouard, Romain 2635
15.4 GM Illingworth, Max 2458 (B) - GM Fressinet, Laurent 2664

Congratulations on your fantastic performance, Anton - it's been very exciting to watch. Actually the whole team have had pretty impressive moments - good luck for this round!

Best of luck to the women's team - playing Indonesia. Australia outrates Indonesia significantly on boards 2-4 but you never know what the real strength is I guess.

Adamski
12-09-2016, 06:37 PM
Did you all notice that England beat China? Adams and Short both won. England could win a medal.

Kevin Bonham
12-09-2016, 06:41 PM
Fressinet is currently second for the board 4 medal so he probably won't muck around.

Vlad
12-09-2016, 06:44 PM
Fressinet is currently second for the board 4 medal so he probably won't muck around.

Could somebody please explain why Fressinet is considered on board 4, while Anton on board 3. Are not they meant to be the same board?

Adamski
12-09-2016, 06:44 PM
Is he White or Max? Edit: According to chess-results Fressinet will be White. Best wishes to Max - and the whole team.

pax
12-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Could somebody please explain why Fressinet is considered on board 4, while Anton on board 3. Are not they meant to be the same board?

Yes, they are both the same board. There is no proper ranking for board prizes that I can find. The chess-results listing by performance is not right, as it lists only four boards, not five. The best we can do is to look at this list: http://www.chess-results.com/tnr232875.aspx?lan=1&art=21&fed=AUS&flag=30&wi=821, but to ignore the ranking and look instead at Rp (instead of %). It's possible (but unlikely) that someone outside that list could be in contention. To be sure, you would have to go through all the teams individually and check the Rps.

pax
12-09-2016, 07:01 PM
Is he White or Max? Edit: According to chess-results Fressinet will be White. Best wishes to Max - and the whole team.

Fressinet is white on 4, and Anton is white on 3. The Aussie selections (dropping Moulthun) send a clear message, I think: Manuel wanted to give Anton white because he has the best shot at a win. France's rationale in keeping Maze in and dropping Bauer is maybe the same: giving Fressinet white on board 4.

pax
12-09-2016, 07:04 PM
Did you all notice that England beat China? Adams and Short both won. England could win a medal.

That was two rounds ago! Then England lost to India and drew with Iran. Their boat has sailed once again. USA, Ukraine and Russia to fight out the medals unless India can pull something special against Russia tonight.

Adamski
12-09-2016, 07:11 PM
China will be disappointed with their showing. They were among the favorites.

Dusan
12-09-2016, 09:50 PM
Yes, they are both the same board. There is no proper ranking for board prizes that I can find. The chess-results listing by performance is not right, as it lists only four boards, not five. The best we can do is to look at this list: http://www.chess-results.com/tnr232875.aspx?lan=1&art=21&fed=AUS&flag=30&wi=821, but to ignore the ranking and look instead at Rp (instead of %). It's possible (but unlikely) that someone outside that list could be in contention. To be sure, you would have to go through all the teams individually and check the Rps.

Also if you look at the chess-results ranking for the Women's board prizes, Poland is winning gold and silver on Board 3! Clearly absurd. So let's hope that the actual Board order is the link given by Pax.

George Morgan
13-09-2016, 12:17 AM
Anton Smirnov drew on board 3 - which against at 2600 + GM is very impressive - and the other three games are very close, with all Australians slightly behind. Pretty poor showing by the women who are already 2-0 down against Indonesia.

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2016, 01:12 AM
USA beat Georgia and will lead into the last round. They last won an Olympiad in 1976 and last won without help from boycotts in 1937.

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2016, 01:21 AM
Pretty poor showing by the women who are already 2-0 down against Indonesia.

Finished up 1-3. Indonesia have been playing much stronger than their seeding but this is still a poor result.

MichaelBaron
13-09-2016, 03:09 AM
While the score against France is not promising, it is great to see Australian team competitive throughout the match with team number 8! Good games!

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2016, 04:01 AM
While the score against France is not promising, it is great to see Australian team competitive throughout the match with team number 8! Good games!

Yes, it was a good match. For the final round we have Philippines (seeded 53rd, ranked 49th)

1 GM Sadorra Julio Catalino 2560 PHI ½ 1 ½ ½ 0 1 1 4,5 7 2703 4,5 3,16 1,34 10 13,4
2 GM Gomez John Paul 2492 PHI 1 0 1 1 ½ ½ 0 0 1 5,0 9 2500 5 4,80 0,20 10 2,0
3 GM Torre Eugenio 2447 PHI 1 1 1 ½ 1 ½ 1 1 1 1 9,0 10 2813 9 4,90 4,10 10 41,0
4 GM Barcenilla Rogelio 2455 PHI 1 0 1 1 1 ½ 0 0 1 5,5 9 2477 5,5 5,08 0,42 10 4,2
5 IM Bersamina Paulo 2408 PHI 1 0 1 ½ 0 2,5 5 2328 2,5 2,92 -0,42 10 -4,2

Torre's performance has been astonishing; let's not forget the guy is 64 years old.

Aus women play Japan (seeded 96, ranked 86).

bundys_bro
13-09-2016, 05:41 AM
Be nice to see Anton vs Torre maybe rest David again?? Max is in too good of form to rest him for the last round and I think Zhao is going better than David

Watto
13-09-2016, 08:21 AM
Bo. 53 Philippines (PHI) - 45 Australia (AUS)
21.1 GM Sadorra, Julio Catalino 2560 (W) - GM Smerdon, David C 2531
21.2 GM Gomez, John Paul 2492 (B) - GM Zhao, Zong-Yuan 2550
21.3 GM Torre, Eugenio 2447 (W) - IM Ly, Moulthun 2513
21.4 GM Barcenilla, Rogelio 2455 (B) - IM Smirnov, Anton 2482

Watto
13-09-2016, 08:25 AM
Bo. 96 Japan (JPN) - 54 Australia (AUS)
40.1 Ishizuka, Mirai 1778 - WIM Richards, Heather S 2199
40.2 WCM Hoshino, Karen 1802 - WFM Nguyen, Thu Giang 2119
40.3 Sakai, Azumi 1703 - WIM Guo, Emma 2035
40.4 Fukuya, Natsumi 1636 - WIM Jule, Alexandra 2000

Adamski
13-09-2016, 08:31 AM
Max drawing with high flyer GM Fressinet is also a great result.

Capablanca-Fan
13-09-2016, 08:43 AM
Be nice to see Anton vs Torre maybe rest David again?? Max is in too good of form to rest him for the last round and I think Zhao is going better than David

But David drew with the reigning world champion.

ggardiner
13-09-2016, 09:18 AM
On the GM Moulthun Ly thread I posted

'For the record, Moulthun lost that game against Anton Kovalyov. Incidentally, Kovalyov is now Canadian, but when he was around 9 years old and lived in Argentina, his mother contacted the Gardiner Chess centre, requesting assistance to obtain a visa for the family to come to Australia. Of course, it has never been easy to obtain visas for strong chess players from overseas, and although we made some efforts, it all petered out.'

I note that Kovalyov is playing board two for Canada in the final round, and Canada are on board one v USA. Kovalyov has the 7th highest rating performance in the entire event at 2865.

pax
13-09-2016, 10:58 AM
On the GM Moulthun Ly thread I posted

'For the record, Moulthun lost that game against Anton Kovalyov. Incidentally, Kovalyov is now Canadian, but when he was around 9 years old and lived in Argentina, his mother contacted the Gardiner Chess centre, requesting assistance to obtain a visa for the family to come to Australia. Of course, it has never been easy to obtain visas for strong chess players from overseas, and although we made some efforts, it all petered out.'

I note that Kovalyov is playing board two for Canada in the final round, and Canada are on board one v USA. Kovalyov has the 7th highest rating performance in the entire event at 2865.

Canada's performance has been impressive with just a couple of imports coming in.

pax
13-09-2016, 10:59 AM
I see the board prize rankings on chess-results are finally correct: http://www.chess-results.com/tnr232875.aspx?lan=1&art=21&fed=ENG&flag=30&wi=821

Anton is 7th on Board 4, a remarkable achievement, putting in the top handful of non-GM performers in the whole Olympiad.

Desmond
13-09-2016, 11:25 AM
I see the board prize rankings on chess-results are finally correct: http://www.chess-results.com/tnr232875.aspx?lan=1&art=21&fed=ENG&flag=30&wi=821

Anton is 7th on Board 4, a remarkable achievement, putting in the top handful of non-GM performers in the whole Olympiad.
And Max in 16th on board 5!

ER
13-09-2016, 01:28 PM
... and as the Queenslander (go the Broncos) Prez Mark Stokes
informs us on facebook
There will be an early start for today's last round.
It will start at 4:00 PM Queensland time!

Ian Rout
13-09-2016, 03:04 PM
... and as the Queenslander (go the Broncos) Prez Mark Stokes
informs us on facebook
There will be an early start for today's last round.
It will start at 4:00 PM Queensland time!According to the chess24 broadcast schedule it's 5pm Australian time.

ER
13-09-2016, 03:22 PM
Relax! not following this online. Only referred to what the Prez said!

pax
13-09-2016, 03:56 PM
According to the chess24 broadcast schedule it's 5pm Australian time.

What is this "Australian time"?

Geelong Grizzle
13-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Not befiore 5pm and not after either.

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2016, 04:57 PM
Pleasing that Max has had a good result performing at 2554. There was a lot of doubt about selecting him because of a run of poor form over three tournaments. I am a bit sceptical of this concept of "form" as a predictor of performance as I think it is often either random or else reflects short-term factors (thread here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16390-Form-in-chess-results-is-it-a-real-thing-or-just-random).

As for the last round selection giving Anton white gives him whatever chance he has of a board medal.

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2016, 04:58 PM
And yes last round starts about now.

ER
13-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Not befiore 5pm and not after either.

Perth OK?

Adamski
13-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Torre is an evergreen GM and doing very well. But Moulthun can beat him!

MichaelBaron
13-09-2016, 08:14 PM
Torre is an evergreen GM and doing very well. But Moulthun can beat him!

Moulthun is in trouble, but Australia appears to be wining so far on 2 other boards!

Dusan
13-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Moulthun is in trouble, but Australia appears to be wining so far on 2 other boards!

Zong-Yuan has just won! Anton has great winning chances while David's game is drawish.

In the Women's, Heather won but Giang lost. Alex and Emma both doing well.

Desperately hoping that Aussies win both today! :)

Desmond
13-09-2016, 08:32 PM
Rather devastating display of domination - minor pieces vs rooks by ZYZ.

George Morgan
13-09-2016, 09:47 PM
Chess24 is saying that Smirnov agreed a draw in a completely won position. Say it isn't so!

ludwigra
13-09-2016, 10:05 PM
Says so also in chessbomb.... so I guess it is unfortunately true.

rob
13-09-2016, 10:06 PM
It isn't so. Anton won to complete an extremely brilliant tournament for him and so with David drawing Aus has won. Very well done by all in involved in the team, so impressive!

Bill Gletsos
13-09-2016, 10:26 PM
Chess24 is saying that Smirnov agreed a draw in a completely won position. Say it isn't so!Chess24 has now corrected it to a win for Anton.

MichaelBaron
13-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Well done to Australia...and to 65yo Torre!