PDA

View Full Version : 2016 April Rookies and Queens Cup Box Hill Chess Club

Peter Tsai
05-04-2016, 08:22 AM
VENUE 21A ELECTRA AVENUE, ASHWOOD

This event will be held on Sunday the 10th of April 2016, and is a 7-round quick-play event for those looking for a mix of new players and experienced juniors and adults.
It is a 7 round Allegro chess event. The event is suitable for juniors and also includes adults at various rating levels.
This is the fourth Rookies for 2016.

There will be an adult cash-prize list and approximately equal sized junior groups, for trophies (and cash for the Rookies and Queens winners).
This is an all-in SWISS -paired event.

When: Sunday 10th of April from 12:30pm to 4.45pm.
Venue: 21A Electra Avenue, Ashwood. Venue is air conditioned
Entries At the venue on the day before 12:15pm. Entry before 12.30 helps the Organizers.
Field Limit: 70 players. We have reached this limit over the last 2 months. Attend early to register and avoid disappointment.
Entry fee:
$15 Canterbury Junior Chess and Box Hill members and referrals from recognized coaching programs.
$20 non-members

Payment to Cash, or Cheque to Canterbury Junior Chess Club Inc

Format 7 round Swiss tournament. 13 minutes + 2 sec increment from move 1/player/game

Rating Games rated on the ACF rapid play rating list.

Rating groups Rating based trophy groups will continue to be used in 2016. Provisional ratings for new players will also be used.

Queens and Rookies Cups Awarded to the highest placed juniors. Titles will be shared by players finishing with the same score.

Prizes Presented at around 4.45pm.
For Juniors: 1st $75 plus Rookies Cup trophy.
Highest place girl $25 plus Queen's Cup trophy.

1 Rookies Cup trophy and prize of $75, goes to the highest finishing junior player in the whole tournament
2 Queens Cup trophy and prize of $25 goes to the highest girl who is not the Rookies Cup trophy winner

Trophies for first in a minimum 4 ratings groups.
The Rookies and Queens cup trophies will be held by their respective winners until the next tournament
For Adults: $5 of every adult entry received will go to the Adult Prize fund with a minimum of $75.

Refreshments Available at reasonable prices.
Enquiries: Peter Tsai Mobile: 0419 324 870 or chess@t-s-a-i.com

Perpetual Junior Trophies: Highest placed junior to hold the Rookies Cup until the awarding to the annual winner. Highest placed girl to hold Queens Cup until then.

Scott Crowley
11-04-2016, 08:39 AM
72 people. Huge turnout.

Andy009
11-04-2016, 07:14 PM
72 people. Huge turnout.

Congrats to Regan.I heard he won the rookie cup.great performance!

Scott Crowley
12-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Congrats to Regan.I heard he won the rookie cup.great performance!

Thanks Andy, Regan and Christopher Lim both had a great day with 6/7.

Only outshone by Leo Nguyen with 7/7 ( in Adult category ) :clap:

Its amazing how popular these competitions have become, so many young ones that improve noticeably every event.

MichaelBaron
14-04-2016, 01:53 AM
72 people. Huge turnout.

Wow, well done! We will have to try to beat that figure at MCC :)

ER
14-04-2016, 05:22 AM
Wow, well done! We will have to try to beat that figure at MCC :)

Organise a return Allegro match b/n MCC and BHCC and you will have record attendances for both clubs!

MichaelBaron
14-04-2016, 10:54 AM
Organise a return Allegro match b/n MCC and BHCC and you will have record attendances for both clubs!

Good idea. We are geting over 50 players occasionally but 72 is a goal yet to be reached so we should learn how its done.

SharathGM
14-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Good idea. We are geting over 50 players occasionally but 72 is a goal yet to be reached so we should learn how its done.

Trophies and Medals :)

MichaelBaron
14-04-2016, 03:10 PM
Trophies and Medals :)

But we good good prize money..hmm...may be having trophies and medals instead of group prizes is a good idea - will have a chat about it with the committee.

simdeaf
14-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Or have a state allegro championship?

AzureBlue
14-04-2016, 03:43 PM
But we good good prize money..hmm...may be having trophies and medals instead of group prizes is a good idea...
I think this depends on the age demographic you're aiming for - kids tend to prefer shiny things like trophies, medals and certificates whereas adults would tend to prefer cash prizes :) I believe the majority of Rookies Cup players are juniors starting out in chess so makes sense to have age group trophies/lots of small prizes to encourage them, and it's exciting when you win trophies as a kid but idk much about demographic of MCC allegro. Judging from the long-play tournaments, I suspect there would be a much higher proportion of adults at MCC compared to BHCC & NPCC so they would likely prefer cash prizes as they are more useful than trophies - can't buy chess books with trophies ;) Actually I'm not sure whether more prizes would be much of a motivator for increased adult participation as prizemoney is pretty negligible and most would play solely for fun and improvement :) To put this in perspective, winning $50 of pocket money for placing in top few places in an allegro tourney is extremely exciting for a kid, but not so much for someone with an income (that's maybe <1 hour of work?).

So definitely if you want to increase the participation of younger age groups, I would think that increasing rating group prizes/making them trophies/everyone gets a certificate type tournaments would do that pretty well :)

Scott Crowley
14-04-2016, 03:55 PM
The BHCC v MCC Allegro comp sounds great..

Only 3 problems I can see :
1/ is some play at both clubs :)
2/ finding a venue big enough. It would be sure to bring a huge turnout.
3/ Agreeing on times. 15 min ( MCC ) or 13+2 ( BHCC )

But I would love to see it happen!

AzureBlue
14-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Definitely agree, interclub/team events are always fun! I think BHCC recently had a Teams Rapid-play that was well-attended, so I'd imagine a huge turnout for BHCC vs MCC. Speaking of which... what happened to CV Interclub tournaments? I remember playing in one almost 10 years ago, where each club fields a few teams of 4 players and they play a round a week of 90+30 against each other. Might be another idea for the clubs to perhaps consider, a revival of that sounds good :)

MichaelBaron
14-04-2016, 05:48 PM
The BHCC v MCC Allegro comp sounds great..

Only 3 problems I can see :
1/ is some play at both clubs :)
2/ finding a venue big enough. It would be sure to bring a huge turnout.
3/ Agreeing on times. 15 min ( MCC ) or 13+2 ( BHCC )

But I would love to see it happen!

That is not a problem, we will agree to play 13+2 for this occasion. I am sure nobody will mind.
The problem is...while BHCC has more players....MCC is much stronger ;) - WE have Morris, myself and Puccini playing regularly. At times, we also get Dale, Izzat etc. Also many 2000+ players so Box Hill will have to make an effort attract its ''elite'' to the match.

Scott Crowley
14-04-2016, 06:40 PM
MCC is much stronger ;)

Agree the BHCC would have to start doing some call arounds to get some greats that have played at the club - like Bobby Cheng to sign up.

Maybe some sweet talking to players that go to both venues on occasions ( like Leo and Nam ) and call in a
few ringers... Ok Ill go first and say it.. Jammo :)

I really would love to see this comp get off the ground. Would be a great day.

simdeaf
14-04-2016, 07:42 PM
Agree the BHCC would have to start doing some call arounds to get some greats that have played at the club - like Bobby Cheng to sign up.

Maybe some sweet talking to players that go to both venues on occasions ( like Leo and Nam ) and call in a

Or to even things up, make the win dependent on expected rating performance. It could mean (say) that MCC is expected to win (if team of 10) 7-3, if margin greater than 7-3, MCC wins, less than 7-3, Box Hill wins. The precise winning margin could be calculated using ratings....

MichaelBaron
14-04-2016, 11:50 PM

Or Yea...Jammo...would be lovely to play him. Or he can play on the Senior board :) :) :)