PDA

View Full Version : NSWCA teams Grade Matches 2016

Adamski
09-03-2016, 08:37 AM
It is time to ask NSW chess clubs affiliated to the New South Wales Chess Association to start considering what teams you would like to enter in the 2016 NSWCA Grade Matches.

Start date for the competitions is the week starting Monday 23rd May. The intention is to run an Under 2100, Under 1700 and Under 1500 grade, like last year. The U 2100 matches will all be played at Cabra-Vale Diggers Club on Sundays at 2 PM and the other two grades will be played on a home and away basis on club nights.

The rules for the grade matches are expected to be very similar to those operating last year. See 2015 Grade Match Rules: http://www.nswca.org.au/gradematches/rules.html. Each grade will require at least 5 entries to proceed. We do not anticipate teams from clubs very distant from Sydney entering.

Please email me once you have finalised the teams you wish to enter, including captain names and overall chief contact for your club for the matches. Please give me entries by Monday 2nd May.

Regards,
Jonathan Adams
NSWCA Clubs Liaison Officer. (clubs@nswca.org.au)

ER
09-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Go the mighty norths!!!

Adamski
02-05-2016, 02:06 PM
It is time to ask NSW chess clubs affiliated to the New South Wales Chess Association to start considering what teams you would like to enter in the 2016 NSWCA Grade Matches.

Start date for the competitions is the week starting Monday 23rd May. The intention is to run an Under 2100, Under 1700 and Under 1500 grade, like last year. The U 2100 matches will all be played at Cabra-Vale Diggers Club on Sundays at 2 PM and the other two grades will be played on a home and away basis on club nights.

The rules for the grade matches are expected to be very similar to those operating last year. See 2015 Grade Match Rules: http://www.nswca.org.au/gradematches/rules.html. Each grade will require at least 5 entries to proceed. We do not anticipate teams from clubs very distant from Sydney entering.

Please email me once you have finalised the teams you wish to enter, including captain names and overall chief contact for your club for the matches. Please give me entries by Monday 2nd May.

Regards,
Jonathan Adams
NSWCA Clubs Liaison Officer. (clubs@nswca.org.au)The deadline has been extended to Monday 16th May for entries. A number of clubs have yet to finalise their entries. I am pleased to say that there is a lot of interest.

Adamski
16-05-2016, 11:47 PM
Go the mighty norths!!!
The mighty norths have only entered one team.

Adamski
17-05-2016, 12:11 AM
Entries received:

U 2100 - Cabra-Vale A, Cabra-Vale B, Ryde-Eastwood, Rooty Hill. (Double round robin.)

U 1700 - Cabra-Vale, Ryde-Eastwood, Harbord, UNSW. (Double round robin.)

U 1500 - Cabra-Vale, Ryde-Eastwood, Harbord, UNSW, Rooty Hill Rooks, Rooty Hill Knights, norths. (Definitely single round robin.)

Draws will be drafted this week. Thanks to all those clubs for their entries.

Adamski
19-05-2016, 07:56 PM
Entries received:

U 2100 - Cabra-Vale A, Cabra-Vale B, Ryde-Eastwood, Rooty Hill. (Triple round robin.)

U 1700 - Cabra-Vale, Ryde-Eastwood, Harbord, UNSW. (Triple round robin.)

U 1500 - Cabra-Vale, Ryde-Eastwood, Harbord, UNSW, Rooty Hill Rooks, Rooty Hill Knights, norths. (Definitely single round robin. Followed by top 4 teams in the finals.)

Draws will be drafted this week. Thanks to all those clubs for their entries.

An extra team has entered the U1500 grade. Harbord has an A and a B team. All the draws are currently being finalised.

Other updates in the "quote" above, including finals for U1500.

Adamski
20-05-2016, 08:39 AM
The draws have been sent to the club contacts and should be on the NSWCA website by the end of the weekend. Play starts this coming Monday for some.

ER
20-05-2016, 10:13 AM
The mighty norths have only entered one team.

maybe 'cause we have to concentrate on the big boards one vs the Saints, but I am not sure!

Adamski
22-05-2016, 08:02 PM
The draws have been sent to the club contacts and should be on the NSWCA website by the end of the weekend. Play starts this coming Monday for some.This has happened. Thanks to our NSWCA President Bill Gletsos for putting all the contact details and draws on the NSWCA website. See www.nswca.org.au

Best wishes to all teams - some of you start playing tomorrow night!

ludwigra
23-05-2016, 07:49 PM
It is funny I cannot play, having an ACF rating of 2155 (5 too much for playing), considering that 4 days later my rating is going to drop below 2150.

Not the most intelligent edict...

Max Illingworth
23-05-2016, 08:04 PM
That's the risk with not having an Open division. There used to be one, but it was scrapped after some of the clubs stopped playing (leading to insufficient entries).

MichaelBaron
24-05-2016, 10:41 AM
That's the risk with not having an Open division. There used to be one, but it was scrapped after some of the clubs stopped playing (leading to insufficient entries).

Actually its very unusual. In most countries/provinces worldwide there are many divisions rather than 1-2 but it varies. However, almost every place (if not every place) that I can think of has an Open section. I am curious why NSWCA does not want stronger players to participate in Interclub (even if it would be 1-2 per team only). Ok, majority if them is not interested to play in the first place I guess but if someone is interested, why not? Players like Max, Anton etc could only raise profile of the competition.

Adamski
24-05-2016, 11:47 PM
Actually its very unusual. In most countries/provinces worldwide there are many divisions rather than 1-2 but it varies. However, almost every place (if not every place) that I can think of has an Open section. I am curious why NSWCA does not want stronger players to participate in Interclub (even if it would be 1-2 per team only). Ok, majority if them is not interested to play in the first place I guess but if someone is interested, why not? Players like Max, Anton etc could only raise profile of the competition.Historically, it has been found that players in the 1900-2000 range did not wish to be paired against players 2151+, and therefore some clubs did not enter the Open Division which struggled to have enough teams to proceed. So a few years ago NSWCA changed to Under 2100. For the last 2 years, we haveb had a club, Cabra-Vale Diggers CC, willing to run an Under 2100 event so that has proceeded. Personally, I would love to see an Open teams competition occurring again, but there would have to be enough interest from the clubs for it to proceed.

Rincewind
25-05-2016, 12:43 AM
Actually its very unusual. In most countries/provinces worldwide there are many divisions rather than 1-2 but it varies. However, almost every place (if not every place) that I can think of has an Open section. I am curious why NSWCA does not want stronger players to participate in Interclub (even if it would be 1-2 per team only). Ok, majority if them is not interested to play in the first place I guess but if someone is interested, why not? Players like Max, Anton etc could only raise profile of the competition.

The SA Interclub division A with the strength of the first board varying between teams from 1800 through to 2370.

whatteaux
25-05-2016, 06:41 PM
I am curious why NSWCA does not want stronger players to participate in Interclub (even if it would be 1-2 per team only). Ok, majority if them is not interested to play in the first place I guess but if someone is interested, why not? Players like Max, Anton etc could only raise profile of the competition.

Firstly, the Grade Matches are an interclub teams event, not an individual event. There are no clubs (well, maybe 1) in Sydney with enough members rated over 2100 that could form a 4-person team. I don't really see the point of 1-person teams, and 2-person teams aren't much better.

Secondly, to compensate those over-2100 players that might have wanted to play Grade Matches, the NSWCA runs the NSW Championships during the Grade Matches. It's a one-game-per-week round-robin event held at Norths, by invitation. Even then, we are struggling to get 10 over-2100 players from across Sydney who are willing to play in it, so a Grade Match comp at that level would have no chance.

ludwigra
25-05-2016, 11:20 PM
Since at the moment the range 2150-2200 contains only Adrian Rose and yours truly (from NSW), one could easily raise the bar to 2150 (with a single +50 board).

Adamski
30-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Results from Round 1 for U1700 and u1500 are on NSWCA web site. u2100 will be there before long too. Follow grade matches link at foot of home page.

Adamski
03-06-2016, 08:09 AM
Round 2 u1700 and u1500 results are on the NSWCA web site. Round 2 u2100 being played on Sunday. The following Sunday that competition breaks for the NSW Open and QBW holiday weekend.

Adamski
08-06-2016, 10:35 PM
Round 2 u2100 results are now on NSWCA web site. Early leaders on 8/8 are Rooty Hill.

Adamski
18-06-2016, 09:20 AM
This week's u1700 and u1500 results on the NSWCA web site. U2100 matches on tonorrow.

Adamski
23-06-2016, 11:55 PM
This week's u1700 and u1500 results on the NSWCA web site. U2100 matches on tonorrow.
Same applies this week except u2100 is on Sunday. Thanks to NSWCA President Bill Gletsos for efficiently updating the web site

Adamski
08-07-2016, 10:18 AM
The results are now up to date on the NSWCA web site.

The 4 finalists for the u1500 have been decided. See http://www.nswca.org.au/gradematches/1500.html

Adamski
04-08-2016, 09:47 PM
Thank you for the participation of a good number of clubs and teams in the NSWCA Grade matches for 2016.I believe they have been very successful and have generated a lot of interest, with 2 grades coming down to the wire last night.
These are now completed and all the final results can be seen at http://www.nswca.org.au/gradematches.php

Congratulations to the winners:

u2100 Rooty Hill
u1700 Ryde-Eastwood
u1500 Rooty Hill Rooks.

We encourage the players (and others from the clubs) to attend the Grade matches Presentation Night (and lightning tournament) at Ryde-Eastwood on Wed 14 Sep from 7.30 PM. The presentations will be made during the lightning.

Jonathan Adams
NSWCA Clubs Liaison Officer

Adamski
27-08-2016, 01:01 AM
Note that the Results pages under http://www.nswca.org.au/gradematches.php have been updated to show in red those players who have won performance prizes. Well done to each of them! Come to Ryde-Eastwood on 14 Sep from 7.30 to receive your prize and play blitz!

Adamski
15-09-2016, 03:35 PM
Thanks to the Ryde-Eastwood Leagues Club CC for hosting the presentation night and lightning last night. The clubs that the winning teams represented won nice new clocks (bought from Australian Chess Enterprises) and all players who scored 70% or more and played 70% or more of the matches received $50 book vouchers also purchased from ACE (thanks IM Gary Lane). 4 medals were also presented for each of the winning teams.

A 9 round lightning tournament was won by Arthur Huynh with 7.5/9. I was pleased with my own performance scoring 6 for 4th equal (but no money).