PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Annual Tony Sturges Thematic Memorial and Blitz

phyrexianrook
11-01-2016, 06:46 PM
THEMATIC MEMORIAL:

This is a competition like no other, 7 rounds, 15 minutes each, no increment, and each rounds starts from a different opening position.

We're doing something a little different this year. In previous years we've gradually increased the "pre-set" moves as each round goes by, this alternated white and black playing first, this year we've selected some more standard openings and they all start from move 5, that is 4 moves have been played and it's white to move in all cases.

Rounds 1 to 5 will be set openings.

Round 6 will be a "Players Choice". The position that gets the most votes will be elected as the starting position for Round 6. But it's not just the players who can vote, anyone can. Submit your vote below, you can vote as many times as you like.

Round 7 will be selected at random on the day.

BLITZ COMPETITION:

7 rounds, 3 minutes with a 2 second increment, and each round starts from the normal starting position. This event will be ACF rated.

Itís all about having some fun at the chess board in the name of one of the HICCís most passionate coaches, and raising some money for chess across the state.

WHERE:

Location to be confirmed closer to the date.

WHEN:

ANZAC Day, Saturday the 25th of April

WHAT TIME:

Thematic Memorial: 12:00 noon to 5pm

Blitz: 5:30pm to 7pm

HOW MUCH:

Thematic Memorial Entry fee $30

Blitz Entry Fee $10

Both Events, Discounted Entry Fee $35

HOW DO I ENTER?

Entry is online via the TCA website, the link directly the to Tony Sturges page is here (http://www.tasmanianchessassociation.org/tca-events/2016/4/25/tony-sturges-memorial-and-blitz).

Medals and/or Trophies will be awarded at the HICC later in the year depending on numbers of entrants. Including the winners of the previous 2 years! Apologies for keeping you waiting!

All money raised will be donated to the Tasmanian Chess Association to help improve the delivery of Chess services across the state.

Rounds 1 to 5 will be the following:

The Exchange Spanish
The 2-knights Defence (with 4.Ng5)
The Noteboom
The Benko Gambit
The English (Reverse Dragon Variation)

Round 6 options for the players choice are as follows:

The Caro-Kann (Classical)
The Scandinavian
The French Rubinstein
The Sicilian Accelerated Dragon

How do I vote?

You can vote online via the TCA website, the link directly the to Tony Sturges page is here (http://www.tasmanianchessassociation.org/tca-events/2016/4/25/tony-sturges-memorial-and-blitz). Anyone can vote, and you can vote as many times as you like! So even if you just have a favourite opening you want to see played but can't make it, jump online and cast your vote here (http://www.tasmanianchessassociation.org/tca-events/2016/4/25/tony-sturges-memorial-and-blitz).

Round 7 will be selected at random from the following:

The King's Indian Defence
The Sicilian Kan
The Queen's Gambit Accepted
The Symmetrical Reti
The Spanish Berlin Defence

phyrexianrook
11-01-2016, 08:03 PM
well, less than 15 minutes after everything was posted, we have 1 vote for the French Rubinstein... I wonder if that was Tassie's professional French player Kevin Bonham?

Kevin Bonham
11-01-2016, 08:07 PM
well, less than 15 minutes after everything was posted, we have 1 vote for the French Rubinstein... I wonder if that was Tassie's professional French player Kevin Bonham?

Nope! I just voted for the Scandinavian! :lol:

Probably a good idea to be shifting to more mainstream openings after a couple of years of the Sturges unorthodox stuff. Though Tony also loved classical 1.e4 e5 openings.

phyrexianrook
11-01-2016, 08:37 PM
Nope! I just voted for the Scandinavian! :lol:

Probably a good idea to be shifting to more mainstream openings after a couple of years of the Sturges unorthodox stuff. Though Tony also loved classical 1.e4 e5 openings.

The Scandinavian... that was you!

I thought we should hit some mainstream openings for a year, fewer animals in this lot, but still plenty of potential for interesting/unorthodox games.

phyrexianrook
18-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Getting close now! Remember to vote for your players choice position for round 6.

Pre-registration is appreciated as it let's us know how many to expect, but you can register on the day if you wish.

This is a good opportunity to come and have a look at our prospective new club location at Mt Carmel College in Sandy Bay.

See you all there :)

phyrexianrook
25-04-2016, 08:32 PM
It was a small crowd at this years event, possibly owing to the fact that ANZAC day was at the end of the school holidays and all the juniors either had other events or had forgotten.

Unlike last year most of the entrants were adults, but there was fun nonetheless and Eric Rayner made his second appearance for the year, and Sam Inskip drove down from Launceston for the event. Another keen Launceston chess player - we'll try and arrange a hook up with the other Launceston based players, it seems there is a critical mass building for an LCC once again!

Anyways... results for both events are as follows, a full report will be on the TCA website in due course. Unfortunately I forgot a vital camera part and thus couldn't tape the Blitz, which was a shame after some amazing games :(

On the up side, we did still manage to raise $240 for the TCA! woot.

Round 6 was the Scandinavian, with an outrageous lead after someone voted for it 12 times in 3 minutes!

Round 7 was Option 1, the KID

Tony Sturges Thematic Memorial

No Name Feder Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

1 Bonham, Kevin TAS 1853 6 * W W W W W W
2 Rayner, Eric TAS 4 L * L W W W W
3 Little, Ian TAS 1469 3.5 L W * W D L W
4 Rumley, William TAS 1121 3 L L L * W W W
5 Rolph, David J TAS 1775 2.5 L L D L * W W
6 Inskip, Samwise TAS 2 L L W L L * W
7 Thiessen, Tristan TAS 0 L L L L L L *

Tony Sturges Blitz

No Name Feder Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

1 Bonham, Kevin TAS 1853 5 * W L W W W W
2 Little, Ian TAS 1469 5 L * W W W W W
3 Rolph, David J TAS 1775 4 W L * L W W W
4 Rumley, William TAS 1121 4 L L W * W W W
5 Rayner, Eric TAS 2 L L L L * W W
6 Inskip, Samwise TAS 1 L L L L L * W
7 Rumley, Rebecca TAS 468 0 L L L L L L *

Kevin Bonham
25-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Thankfully I had the bye for the Kings Indian round. :lol:

In the Sturges Memorial my most exciting game was against Eric, where after various adventures I had to drop a pawn in a heavy piece ending, with an outside passer as compensation. The queens went off leaving me with KR3P vs KR4P but I managed to get a mate with my rook and pawns with about 15 secs left on each clock.

Another exciting game with Eric in the blitz where I won with five pawns vs bishop and three, however I then made an immediately game-losing touchmove blunder against Dave in what may have been a good position.

We also had a bullet (2+1) event between the two tournaments - five player 2RR, I won with 7/8 from Eric on 6. (Eric and I split our match 1-1).

The blitz had two pairs of leaders playing each other going into the final round.

idledim
25-04-2016, 10:19 PM
Congratulations Hobart. By raising funds for the TCA in his name, you once again honoured the memory of Tony Sturges - and obviously enjoyed doing so. Sincere thanks. Denis

phyrexianrook
26-04-2016, 04:41 PM
Wrap up report can be found here (http://www.tasmanianchessassociation.org/news-and-games/2016/4/26/tony-sturges-memorial-small-crowd-big-fun).