PDA

View Full Version : ICCF Australia moves to Zone 4 Afro-Asia

Brian_Jones
10-01-2016, 05:20 PM
Australia moves to ICCF Zone 4 Afro-Asia

ICCF has agreed that from 1 February 2016 Australia will move from Zone 3, North American Pacific Zone (NAPZ) to Zone 4, Afro-Asia Zone (AA).

One immediate benefit of this is that Australian players can now enter the Afro-Asia Zonal Championships, which will start 1 March 2016, with a preliminary stage consisting of 7 to 9 players each. From here players can qualify for the semi final stage and from there on to the final stage. The size of the semi final and final stages as well as the number of qualifers that advance will depend on the amount of entries received. This will be announced at the start of each stage.

Participation in this event is free - there is no entry fee. Entry from Australian players of all standards is encouraged.

To enter please send an email to: brianjoneschess@outlook.com

The closing date for entries is 15 February 2016,

Please note that entry to NAPZ events will no longer be accepted after 1 February 2016

Brian Jones

CCLA International Secretary

brianjoneschess@outlook.com

Davidflude
11-01-2016, 09:46 PM
By mistake I entered the Zonal not realizing it was zone 4 and had to withdraw.

I am playing a promotion tournament in zone three. I have unleashed a theoretical innovation in the Albin-Chattard attack. One of my opponents has played a line against the Centre Counter which is not in Smerdon's book.

All good clean fun.

Adamski
12-01-2016, 05:24 PM
Good to see you are still playing top level corro chess, David. Play well!

MichaelBaron
12-01-2016, 06:02 PM
By mistake I entered the Zonal not realizing it was zone 4 and had to withdraw.

I am playing a promotion tournament in zone three. I have unleashed a theoretical innovation in the Albin-Chattard attack. One of my opponents has played a line against the Centre Counter which is not in Smerdon's book.

All good clean fun.

Then how can..they accepted you? :) I would assume that if a player from Angola wants to enter European Championship..he would not be accepted.

Brian_Jones
13-01-2016, 10:04 AM
Then how can..they accepted you? :) I would assume that if a player from Angola wants to enter European Championship..he would not be accepted.

Yes a player from Angola cannot enter European Championship but during the transitional period an Australian player can finish off tournaments in NAPZ before starting new tournaments in AA after 1 February 2016.

See www.iccf.com

tintin
03-02-2016, 09:57 PM
Have I missed something in recent CCLA Records ... I can't recall anything about this move being announced. On the contrary, quite a bit of interesting news about NAPZ events and affairs has been appearing.

Playing in the Afro-Asian Zonal Championships may be a plus, but the opportunity to play in Direct Entry ICCF webserver NAPZ events is lost. What are the other benefits?

Davidflude
04-02-2016, 03:25 PM
Have I missed something in recent CCLA Records ... I can't recall anything about this move being announced. On the contrary, quite a bit of interesting news about NAPZ events and affairs has been appearing.

Playing in the Afro-Asian Zonal Championships may be a plus, but the opportunity to play in Direct Entry ICCF webserver NAPZ events is lost. What are the other benefits?

In my case the sequence of events was

1) i entered a NAPZ tournament while Australia was in zone 3,

2) I mistakenly entered the zonal tournament in zone 4.

3) I realized my error and cancelled my entry to the zonal.

4) Australia switched zones.

5) I continue to play in the NAPZ tournament.

6) I reentered the zonal tournament.

As far as not being able to enter NAPZ tournaments, there are lots of other ICCF tournaments that I could enter.

May I suggest to newbees that they consider entering an ICCF fixed Openings tournament. These are great fun unrated and can even find yourself playing Grandmasters,

Brian_Jones
05-02-2016, 07:34 AM

ACCQ magazine is due out this month (February) with recent news. (The move from NAPZ to AAZ happened over Christmas.)

I suggest that you play in Direct Entry World events. Send an email to me brianjoneschess@outlook.com if you have any real concerns.

Brian_Jones
22-02-2016, 05:41 PM
Australia has 33 players in the 18th Afro Asian Zone Championship Preliminaries. See www.iccf.com