PDA

View Full Version : Australian Allegro Championships

MichaelBaron
25-12-2015, 10:19 AM
I did not even realize that it was on (since its not on chesschat :)) till a chess student of mine mentioned that he is going to play in it. Surprised that a national event is not ''represented'' on chesschat. Link to the organizers page is below:

http://sachess.asn.au/tournaments/rapid-allegro-chess/378-lidums-australian-allegro-glenelg/general-info-for-next-event/165-lidums-australian-allegro-2015

P.S. shortly after positing this, I found ''SA Chess Results'' thread where the tournament gets a mention. So if the organizers, prefer not to have a separate thread for the event may be admin could delete my post to avoid confusion. Just thinking that a national event can get greater exposure if there is a separate thread.

William AS
25-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Yes it is on again this year! :cool:

We did not want to distract attention away from the Allegro Chess World Championship ;)

Which is held at the Melbourne CC every Saturday

The Australian Allegro Chess Championship is proudly sponsored by The Lidums Chess Foundation

Saturday 26th of December, 2015

At the Glenelg Community Centre, 4 Colley Terrace, Glenelg

Rate of play 15 minutes each on the clock + 2 seconds a move

Seven Rounds, Swiss Draw

Rounds start at 12.00pm, 12.45pm, 1.30pm, 2.15pm, 3.00pm, 3.45pm and 4.30pm.

Come to Glenelg & take up the challenge, play 7 games of Chess in the afternoon.

You may even get the chance to shake hands with a Grandmaster or International Master.

Players new to competition chess welcome.

Lots of things for the family to do. Beach, Shops, Restaurants, Beach House amusements, Athletics ...

To enter Email tournaments@sachess.asn.au

Stating your full name, contact details, DOB & tournament you want to enter.

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
26-12-2015, 12:08 AM
Hi William,

Has Australias greatest Allegro devotee signed up for this event ?

Regards,
Danse Macabre.

cincinnatus
26-12-2015, 09:54 AM
The "Australian" moniker is largely self-styled.

Back in the '90s the South Australian Chess Association received the ACF concession to run an Australian Allegro Championship for three years, but they've been running with it ever since.

Kevin Bonham
26-12-2015, 11:56 AM

Back in the '90s the South Australian Chess Association received the ACF concession to run an Australian Allegro Championship for three years, but they've been running with it ever since.

It is currently accepted as an ACF title; we've discussed this at least once in the last few years. Otherwise we would throw the book at it under the Events Names policy (http://www.auschess.org.au/constitution/ACF%20Policy%20re%20Eventnames.pdf)

William AS
26-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Hi William,

Has Australias greatest Allegro devotee signed up for this event ?

Regards,
Danse Macabre.

No, wrong universe. ;)

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
26-12-2015, 06:11 PM
No, wrong universe. ;)

Thats a shame.

I would have thought that Michael would not hesitate at the chance to support his favourite form of chess.

Maybe he is planning on putting in a late entry. Fingers crossed for this eagerly awaited development.

MichaelBaron
26-12-2015, 09:28 PM
Thats a shame.

I would have thought that Michael would not hesitate at the chance to support his favourite form of chess.

Maybe he is planning on putting in a late entry. Fingers crossed for this eagerly awaited development.

Sadly, I never had a chance to play allegro events in Adelaide. My activity on chesschat probably makes people feel that I play/follow chess alot...but the reality is - I am far more focused on my professional activities rather than chess so travelling to Adelaide to play chess is not something I would consider. Too many other things to do.

Back in my chess-playing days, I visited Adelaide on ''chess business'' twice - both times to play in the Lidums weekender. I have fond memories of the SA chess center and the lovely people I met. One of them (Andrew Saint) eventually moved to Melbourne and became one of the driving forces behind the Melbourne Chess Club. Also, got to play with Mark Chapman (even though later on - we ended up playing each other alot in many events across Victoria), Trevor Tao and Alex Davidovich. I even got to meet the legandary Kosh& his wife!

Rincewind
26-12-2015, 10:28 PM

It was a piece of marketing brilliance at the time and the event continues to draw strong numbers including some players from Melbourne. It is also held in concert with the Bay Sports Festival (http://www.baysportsfestival.com.au/content/) which promotes chess to the wider community and its status as a national title event also helps with the publicity for the event.

Rincewind
26-12-2015, 10:32 PM
It is currently accepted as an ACF title; we've discussed this at least once in the last few years. Otherwise we would throw the book at it under the Events Names policy (http://www.auschess.org.au/constitution/ACF%20Policy%20re%20Eventnames.pdf)

Throwing the book would not be required. I'm confident that SACA would comply should the ACF choose to no longer extend their aegis to the event. However I would hope this does not happen without good reason as I think it is a good event which is well attended which also does its part for promoting chess participation more widely.

Kevin Bonham
26-12-2015, 11:55 PM
I'm completely happy with SACA continuing to stage it. If anyone else wants to run something similar there's the currently dormant Australian Rapid title.

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
27-12-2015, 03:37 AM
I am disillusioned that Michael has lost his thirst for Allegro.

How is it possible to rekindle his interest so that he will participate in this event ?

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
27-12-2015, 04:31 AM
I dont know what to believe in anymore. :(

MichaelBaron
27-12-2015, 11:31 AM
I am disillusioned that Michael has lost his thirst for Allegro.

How is it possible to rekindle his interest so that he will participate in this event ?

Thurst for Allegro is not gone..just limited to Melbourne :) - more specifically to Melbourne Chess Club. There are some other great allegro's happening in Melbourne (on Sundays) but sadly, I have not had time to test them out.

Leonid Sandler
31-12-2015, 03:05 PM
Happy New Year from Lidums Australian Allegro Champion 2015 Grandmaster Vasily Papin.

http://rostovchess.ru/news/1237/

Denis_Jessop
13-01-2016, 04:53 PM
I'm completely happy with SACA continuing to stage it. If anyone else wants to run something similar there's the currently dormant Australian Rapid title.

As a simple country boy (retired) may I ask what is the difference between the "Allegro" and "Rapid" title. At one time the terms were interchangeable, so I thought.

DJ

MichaelBaron
13-01-2016, 05:07 PM
As a simple country boy (retired) may I ask what is the difference between the "Allegro" and "Rapid" title. At one time the terms were interchangeable, so I thought.

DJ

There are various interpretations however, as far as I understand it - my beloved allegro is: 15 0 or 12+3 or 13+2 etc while rapid is: 25 0 on-wards. I can even recall some rapid events held at 45 0 time control a while ago.

ER
13-01-2016, 06:19 PM
There are various interpretations however, as far as I understand it - my beloved allegro is: 15 0 or 12+3 or 13+2 etc while rapid is: 25 0 on-wards. I can even recall some rapid events held at 45 0 time control a while ago.

Also 60 minutes plus 5 seconds increment are classified as rapid if I am not mistaken!

Garvinator
13-01-2016, 06:56 PM
Also 60 minutes plus 5 seconds increment are classified as rapid if I am not mistaken!From the July 2014 laws of chess.

Appendix A. Rapidplay
A.1 A ‘Rapidplay’ game is one where either all the moves must be completed in a fixed time of more than 10 minutes but less than 60 minutes for each player; or the time allotted plus 60 times any increment is of more than 10 minutes but less than 60 minutes for each player.
Appendix B. Blitz
B.1 A ‘blitz’ game’ is one where all the moves must be completed in a fixed time of 10 minutes or less for each player; or the allotted time plus 60 times any increment is 10 minutes or less.

Garvinator
13-01-2016, 06:58 PM
There are various interpretations however, as far as I understand it - my beloved allegro is: 15 0 or 12+3 or 13+2 etc while rapid is: 25 0 on-wards. I can even recall some rapid events held at 45 0 time control a while ago.My understanding of allegro to be 15/0 or close time controls as such, with no increment. So, guillotine play. Any time control that would be officially classed by the fide laws of chess as rapid play by Appendix B and involves an increment is Rapid, not 'Allegro'.

ER
13-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Thanks Garvin!

Adamski
13-01-2016, 10:42 PM
My understanding of allegro to be 15/0 or close time controls as such, with no increment. So, guillotine play. Any time control that would be officially classed by the fide laws of chess as rapid play by Appendix B and involves an increment is Rapid, not 'Allegro'.
At Rooty Hill we, perhaps loosely, call our 10-0 tournaments Allegros. When there are more than 40 players, 10 minutes is preferable to get a clear winner before 11 pm.

Garvinator
14-01-2016, 02:05 AM
At Rooty Hill we, perhaps loosely, call our 10-0 tournaments Allegros. When there are more than 40 players, 10 minutes is preferable to get a clear winner before 11 pm.
Well, if you are playing by the 2014 fide laws of chess, then this applies:

Appendix B. Blitz B.1 A ‘blitz’ game’ is one where all the moves must be completed in a fixed time of 10 minutes or less for each player; or the allotted time plus 60 times any increment is 10 minutes or less.So 10/0 from my reading would be regarded as blitz and the blitz rules should apply.

Garvinator
14-01-2016, 02:08 AM
Thanks Garvin!
It is where the old definitions for what is ACF rated as a 'classical' game, or 'rapid' game came from. Under your 60 mins plus 5 secs, that would be put in the rapid list, but as we all know, 60 mins plus 10 seconds is in the classical list.

Adamski
14-01-2016, 07:13 AM
Well, if you are playing by the 2014 fide laws of chess, then this applies:

So 10/0 from my reading would be regarded as blitz and the blitz rules should apply.Good point. I will pass it on within our committee.

Bill Gletsos
14-01-2016, 09:54 AM
It is where the old definitions for what is ACF rated as a 'classical' game, or 'rapid' game came from. Under your 60 mins plus 5 secs, that would be put in the rapid list, but as we all know, 60 mins plus 10 seconds is in the classical list.That is rubbish.
60 mins plus any increment has always been ACF classical.
In fact 60 mins flat was always ACF classical.

Garvinator
14-01-2016, 11:23 AM
That is rubbish.
60 mins plus any increment has always been ACF classical.
In fact 60 mins flat was always ACF classical.
Shows what happens when a person replies at 2am. My reply was meant to contain- Anything under an initial time of 60 mins would be put in the rapid list, but as we all know, 60 mins plus 10 seconds is in the classical list.

Denis_Jessop
15-01-2016, 08:32 PM
So the upshot to date from my query seems to be that "Rapid" has a defined meaning according to FIDE but that Allegro does not. Moreover, "Rapid" covers a wide range of possible time limits. From memory, I think that "Allegro" was the first used and applied to 15 or 20 - minute games, Lightning or Blitz being 5-minute games. Later "Rapid" became popular, perhaps because 15 or 20 minutes was seen as too restrictive, and the situation became much more confused because of the invention of clocks capable of adding increments.

DJ