PDA

View Full Version : Technically Drawn Endgames

Zwischenzug
29-07-2015, 01:17 PM
Hi. I am looking for some very specific chess information. I am looking for information where on the surface it appears that one side is obviously winning because of a material advantage but with correct play from the weaker side it is technically drawn. For example, I am looking for how to handle the a rook pawn and king vs rook and king ending. There might be such information on this forum already but I didn't know where to look.

Thanks in advance.

ElevatorEscapee
29-07-2015, 10:10 PM
Hi Zwischenzug, for rook and pawn endgames, look up the "Philidor position" (a position the defending side aims for).
Also the Saavedra position is a lot of fun. :)

Zwischenzug
30-07-2015, 09:23 AM
Thanks. The Saavedra position is exactly what I was looking for. I managed to draw a correspondence game because of it :)

Ian Rout
30-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Thanks. The Saavedra position is exactly what I was looking for. I managed to draw a correspondence game because of it :)Surely the Saavedra is a win, and is a vey specific position rather than a class of drawn positions. Are we in fact talking about the Vancura?

Zwischenzug
30-07-2015, 11:37 AM
The position for me was as follows:

R7/8/6p1/8/5PKP/8/pr1k4/8 w - - 0 1
I was trying to figure out how to play white in this position. I might be mistaken about the name of the actual position.

Ian Rout
30-07-2015, 01:00 PM
I was trying to figure out how to play white in this position. I might be mistaken about the name of the actual position.I would think this is a comfortable draw. White can afford to lose his R for the a-pawn, win or swap off the g-pawn, and Black can stop but can't win the remaining White pawn(s). Not sure it has a name.