PDA

View Full Version : Million $ Grand Chess Tour

ER
26-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Garry Kasparov and Nigel Short were on hand for a press conference that announced the launch of a "Grand Chess Tour" featuring Magnus Carlsen and seven more of the world's very best players. They will compete for a combined prize fund of $1,050,000. It was described as “the biggest announcement in professional international chess since 1988”. Watch the press conference on video.

More here
http://en.chessbase.com/post/new-million-dollar-grand-chess-tour-announced

Adamski
27-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Wow! Exciting if this comes off. Should include Vishy since he is now second in the live ratings. May not include Lev since he has slipped to 10th.

pax
27-04-2015, 09:03 PM
If you read the article, you will see that Vishy and Aronian have both signed, but there's no Kramnik or So. I wonder why Wesley turned it down? Seems like a good opportunity for a player looking to establish himself in the elite group.

MichaelBaron
28-04-2015, 12:14 AM
Kramnik was offered a place...but he rejected.

ER
28-04-2015, 12:18 AM
Maybe the other million US$ in Las Vegas is more enticing! ;)
Not linking details here since I am sure there will be another thread for this! :)

Garvinator
28-04-2015, 12:43 AM
I wonder why Wesley turned it down? Seems like a good opportunity for a player looking to establish himself in the elite group.
I would not be surprised to see Wesley take an extended break from the game to sort out his personal life as it does seem to be rather a mess at this stage. And so committing to this probably did not seem to be the best decision.

ER
28-04-2015, 12:59 AM
Guess who was last year's Las Vegas winner?
Hint: Initials W.S. Illustration Source: chessdom.com

pax
28-04-2015, 09:56 PM
There will be a ninth grandmaster added to the tour. If they have any sense, it will be a Chinese player (Ding Liren or Li Chao probably).

ER
28-04-2015, 10:53 PM
Not really a matter of "sense" but of $s.
This looks like a corporate affair and the decisive force behind who's playing and who's not
is the sponsors' dollar!
Whatever the outcome of this venture will be one thing is certain.
Kasparov and co finally have moved to the right direction.
The goal this time isn't Russia's or FIDE's leadership!
It's the domination of the international chess scene with
spectacular, rich and popular events
which would make FIDE's slow moving and unattractive procedures
look like second rate affairs.
If it was me I would embellish the whole thing
with an on-the-side-match say between
Hou versus Judit to find out who's the real boss
or Nigel versus Judit for bragging rights
or maybe a Kasparov versus Kramnik revenge clash.
BTW I notice (and I stand to be corrected if I am wrong)
that FIDE have not mentioned in their website neither this tour
nor the Kasparov versus Short "legends" match!
Not a single word!
The whole thing looks interesting.
(Meanwhile I see that there are at least two FIDE
tournaments in honour of the current president including one for his birthday)
Sorry but only those who voted for Kirsan are invited!:P

pax
29-04-2015, 05:34 PM
Dollars, but also audience and media attention. The Chinese have been huge in the last year, so for no Chinese player to be involved in this tour would be a tremendous shame.

ER
29-04-2015, 08:04 PM
hmm 14th in the world with others more well known before him who haven't received the call either!
Nothing to sing about but hey (just in case you think I am an apologist for the organisers)
leave it to me and I see what I can do for what's his name again? :P

Kaitlin
29-04-2015, 08:15 PM
$100 000 isn't $1 000 000 :(

Ian Rout
30-04-2015, 09:24 AM
$100 000 isn't $1 000 000 :(
$100k was first prize in the top section. The total prize fund was $1m.

pax
30-04-2015, 12:55 PM
hmm 14th in the world with others more well known before him who haven't received the call either!
Nothing to sing about but hey (just in case you think I am an apologist for the organisers)
leave it to me and I see what I can do for what's his name again? :P

Ding is 11th on the live list right now, right behind Giri and Aronian, so his claim on merit is as good as anyone's.

Vlad
30-04-2015, 01:49 PM
I hope Wei Yi gets the wild card.

pax
30-04-2015, 02:58 PM
I hope Wei Yi gets the wild card.

That would certainly be fascinating.

Ian Rout
30-04-2015, 04:32 PM
If this is meant to be a super-elite tournament featuring the best of the best of the best then I don't see it happening. The primary selection criterion would be strength and depth of results and there are many higher-qualified options.

If there is wriggle room for colour and movement, newsworthiness etc then maybe.

Vlad
30-04-2015, 09:55 PM
If this is meant to be a super-elite tournament featuring the best of the best of the best then I don't see it happening.

I do. Kramnik was selected to represent Russia when he was not even a GM.

The primary selection criterion would be strength and depth of results and there are many higher-qualified options.

How do you know? The difference between Wei Yi and Ding Liren is about 40 rating points. Wei Yi added more than 80 points in one year. Given that Wei Yi' k-factor is 10, it is clear that even at his current rating he is underrated.

pax
01-05-2015, 04:54 PM
How do you know? The difference between Wei Yi and Ding Liren is about 40 rating points. Wei Yi added more than 80 points in one year. Given that Wei Yi' k-factor is 10, it is clear that even at his current rating he is underrated.

There is a case: Wei performed at over 2800 in both Wijk and the World Team Champs and at around 2750 in Gibraltar all this year. Only his China-India summit was poor by comparison.