PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Victorian Junior Chess Championships

N Y Wong
17-04-2015, 12:46 PM
THE 2015 VICTORIAN JUNIOR CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS
(organised by Canterbury Juniors Chess Club on behalf of Chess Victoria)

Playing Venue: Kingswood College, 355 Station Street, Box Hill VIC 3128.
Car entrance from Piedmont Street.

Under 10, Under 8, boys and girls
Schedule: Saturday July 4, Rd 1: 10.00 Rd 2: 12.00 Rd 3: 14.00 Rd 4: 16:00
Sunday July 5, Rd 5: 10.00 Rd 6: 12.00 Rd 7: 14.00
Prize Giving: Sunday July 5, 16.00
Rate of Play: 40 minutes plus 10 seconds from move one.

Under 18, Under 16, Under 14, Under 12 boys and girls
Schedule: Saturday July 4, Round 1: 10.00, Round 2: 14.00, Round 3: 18:00
Sunday July 5, Round 4: 10.00, Round 5: 14.00
Monday July 6, Round 6: 10.00, Round 7: 14.00
Prize Giving: Monday July 6, 18.00
Rate of Play: 75 minutes plus 30 seconds from move one.

Note: If there are less than 4 players in the respective age-group, the tournament for that age-group may be cancelled or combined with another age-group.
Tournament format: For each age-group:
If there are only 4 players, it will be a double-round-robin tournament.
If there are 5-8 players, it will be a single-round-robin tournament.
If there are more than 8 players, it will be a seven-round Swiss tournament.

Appeal: The decision of the Chief Arbiter is final, binding and takes effect immediately.
Byes: 2 half-point byes can be taken for the first 5 rounds.
Forfeit time: 30 minutes
Ratings: Games will be rated on ACF Ratings
Ranking: The following order will be used: ACF Classic, ACF Rapid & then Arbiter's discretion
Payments: Cash or cheque to Chess Victoria
Entries: by mail to the address on the entry form or in person at the Box Hill Chess Club (21A Electra Avenue, Ashwood).
Enquiries: Peter Tsai Telephone: 0419 324 870 E-mail: chess@t-s-a-i.com
Prizes Total Prize fund: based on 150 entries $5000 and many trophies (lower total prize fund if less than 150 entries)
After-game analysis: After their game, there will be FIDE chess trainers to help any player to analyse their game.
Coaching by GM Darryl Johansen: The winners of the Open & Girls U18, Open & Girls U16 will receive two free 1-hour one-on-one chess coaching from Victoria's only Grandmaster, GM Darryl Johansen.

Age Divisions:
The 2015 Victorian Junior Championships will determine holders of the following titles:
Victorian Open & Girls Under-18 Champion: Year of birth 1997 or after
Victorian Open & Girls Under-16 Champion: Year of birth 1999 or after
Victorian Open & Girls Under-14 Champion: Year of birth 2001 or after
Victorian Open & Girls Under-12 Champion: Year of birth 2003 or after
Victorian Open & Girls Under-10 Champion: Year of birth 2005 or after
Victorian Open & Girls Under-8 Champion: Year of birth 2007 or after
If any of these winners choose to play in the 2016 Australian Junior Championships, their entry fee (early bird) will be paid by Chess Victoria.

You can download the entry form from the Chess Victoria website at
http://www.chessvictoria.org.au/2015-victorian-juniors-chess-championship

Entry fee:
Early Bird (before 27th June 2015): $60
Full Fee (on or after 27th June 2015 but before 4th July 2015): $70
On Day Fee (on 4th July 2015): $100

FM_Bill
05-07-2015, 11:43 AM
bump
it is on now

Altecman
05-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Pretty poor reporting, no results, entries etc.

jammo
05-07-2015, 05:19 PM
Pretty poor reporting, no results, entries etc.

Agreed. Pity the event is not run on Tornelo so that we can follow what is happening.
I rocked up there to watch but the players are all locked away and you can't follow the games so its pretty pointless.
A very disappointing tournament.

Peter
05-07-2015, 07:51 PM
Some of the top boards' games are on the Box Hill "Live Games" site: http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/live/tfd_full.htm
The next round is 10:00 tomorrow.
Peter

Davidflude
06-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Agreed. Pity the event is not run on Tornelo so that we can follow what is happening.
I rocked up there to watch but the players are all locked away and you can't follow the games so its pretty pointless.

1) results are on Chess Victoria web site.

2) some live games on Box Hill Chess Club web site.

MichaelBaron
06-07-2015, 11:51 AM
In the Chew Lee - Chander game, king got mated on e7. Nice looking final position :)

jammo
06-07-2015, 08:27 PM
1) results are on Chess Victoria web site.

2) some live games on Box Hill Chess Club web site.

More correctly .... results are eventually on the CV website. It's 8.30pm and thought I'd check who won the U/18 but can't find any results at all. Maybe I'll check again in a week or so.

bill jiang
06-07-2015, 08:34 PM
More correctly .... results are eventually on the CV website. It's 8.30pm and thought I'd check who won the U/18 but can't find any results at all. Maybe I'll check again in a week or so.
Max Chew Lee won the u18 open with a perfect score of 7/7

Altecman
06-07-2015, 08:41 PM

Try two weeks. Luckily the players themselves update on the results. Thanks bill and congratulations max.

Southern Cross
06-07-2015, 08:43 PM
One of the best run tournaments that we have attended in many years: nice & cosy indoor area (considering we had rainy and windy weather for most of the days), kids had safe outdoor area to play when the weather permitted, tournament was run smoothly, the pairings and results got published in time at the venue, plenty of chairs/tables for parents, free tea/hot water...to name a few.

Thank you so much Chess Victoria.

Southern Cross
06-07-2015, 08:45 PM

Sorry, but many kids/parents don't want Tornelo.

Southern Cross
06-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Try two weeks. Luckily the players themselves update on the results. Thanks bill and congratulations max.

First of all, let me say that I have got nothing to do with CV whatsoever.

But, these organizers must be tired after so many days' hard work. So please give them a bit of time to catch a breath?

And I am sure more volunteers are welcome by the CV to do all these hard yakka.

FM_Bill
06-07-2015, 09:45 PM
It looks like Alana and Max won the same tournament.

2015 Victorian Juniors Girl Champion: Chew Lee, Max
from the Chess Victoria website, something not right.

Southern Cross
06-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Hard to separate the siblings :)

Thebes
06-07-2015, 09:47 PM
There's plenty of other options rather than Tornelo, like updating the website, just seems like the norm in club chess, little lone a annual tournament.

Congrats to Max.

FM_Bill
06-07-2015, 10:04 PM
After what Max did to Eugene Schon the other week, he was the hot favourite.
Alana and Max might have got some good coaching at some stage.

Also a great effort by Luis Chan. The conveyer belt of strong Victorian junior production (to paraphrase Ian Rogers) is still on track.

MichaelBaron
07-07-2015, 12:15 AM
After what Max did to Eugene Schon the other week, he was the hot favourite.
Alana and Max might have got some good coaching at some stage.

Also a great effort by Luis Chan. The conveyer belt of strong Victorian junior production (to paraphrase Ian Rogers) is still on track.

And our top juniors (Dale, Loh,Puccini) are not even playing in the event :)

antichrist
07-07-2015, 06:49 AM

How come like this? To prevent cheating? To keep adults away?

Scott Crowley
07-07-2015, 08:28 AM
How come like this? To prevent cheating? To keep adults away?

No it was because of the limited space in the playing area, it was held in school classrooms that comfortably fitted the players but left little to no room for spectators. The tournament was well run and sadly a few negative comments from those non-players who wanted to watch the games for their own amusement have undermined the excellent and tireless work of the officials who ran so many simultaneous from u8 girls & boy up to under 18s with many groups and different game times in between.

Well done to all those who played and special mention of Max Chew Lee who won the under 18s undefeated.

Southern Cross
07-07-2015, 09:19 AM
No it was because of the limited space in the playing area, it was held in school classrooms that comfortably fitted the players but left little to no room for spectators. The tournament was well run and sadly a few negative comments from those non-players who wanted to watch the games for their own amusement have undermined the excellent and tireless work of the officials who ran so many simultaneous from u8 girls & boy up to under 18s with many groups and different game times in between.

Well done to all those who played and special mention of Max Chew Lee who won the under 18s undefeated.

Well said!

MichaelBaron
07-07-2015, 12:36 PM

How I wish all tournaments had spectators. I say if you can get spectators to come and watch the games it is a huge achievement by organizers cause few people come and spectate usually.

Adamski
07-07-2015, 01:04 PM
How I wish all tournaments had spectators. I say if you can get spectators to come and watch the games it is a huge achievement by organizers cause few people come and spectate usually.Given the available time to do so, I like to spectate at big tournaments. I planned to spectate at the Zonal yesterday but after 2 long rounds, yesterday's round was shorter and there were NO games still going at 6 PM when I reached norths. That was a disappointment.

MichaelBaron
08-07-2015, 12:00 AM
Given the available time to do so, I like to spectate at big tournaments. I planned to spectate at the Zonal yesterday but after 2 long rounds, yesterday's round was shorter and there were NO games still going at 6 PM when I reached norths. That was a disappointment.

Can watch the games live and congratulate accordingly :)

Scott Crowley
12-07-2015, 11:10 AM
There will be some photos of the event on the boxhill chess club newletter.

TO get a copy please subscribe at : http://boxhillchess.us11.list-manage1.com/subscribe?u=223df340d5a2e0d9ded1ef2ae&id=60d686fe2e