PDA

View Full Version : that Zurich gig

ER
14-02-2015, 09:34 AM
I just received this e-mail from Chess24

Fabiano Caruana, Viswanathan Anand, Vladimir Kramnik, Levon Aronian, Hikaru Nakamura and Sergey Karjakin are the all-star cast for the Zurich Chess Challenge, a tournament that runs from 13-19 February. The main event begins at 15:00 (CET) on Saturday 14 February and will be broadcast live on chess24, with the dream team of GM Jan Gustafsson and IM Lawrence Trent returning. They’ll be helped out in the English commentary by GM Ilja Zaragatski, while commentary will also be available in German and Russian.

The action kicks off sooner, though, with a blitz tournament following the opening ceremony at 19:30 (CET) on Friday 13 February. The results of that five-round event will determine which three players have an extra game with White in the main tournament. The blitz tournament will also, of course, be live on chess24!

Dream team of commentators or not, I am not staying late to watch this (Alexander, Vassily and Peter not in it either) so don't ask me about time zones etc.

Well I can tell you that since I follow the Swiss banks. It's 10 hours. We are ahead. So when they say Sat 15:00 there it will be Sun 1:00 AM here! 'nough of that.

It also means the blitz gig has already finished so go to their website to check results!

Apparently Levon won it, with Vishy and Caruana second!

MichaelBaron
14-02-2015, 09:55 PM
To me, the biggest highlight of the gig is the rapid match between Korchnoi and Uhlmann

ER
15-02-2015, 11:55 AM
To me, the biggest highlight of the gig is the rapid match between Korchnoi and Uhlmann

lol correct! a good reminder to doubters (like me) that a severe stroke would put Victor the terrible out of business.
I am sure he will be nagging to be invited to play in top class tournaments soon!
In other matches of secondary importance Naca beat Caruana whereas the two ex world champs and Levon drew their games!

ER
16-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Anand fixes Levon with a beaut novelty - improvement of a line he used versus Magnus for their WC match.
That's what the experts say. I think the opening was a Gruenfeld with Anand playing White.
Other two games drawn!

Geelong Grizzle
17-02-2015, 02:40 PM
Viktor Korchnoi 2-2 Wolfgang Uhlmann. They played some interesting chess until VK make a shocking Knight blunder which abruptly ended Game 4 - just completely forgot it was en prise.

MichaelBaron
17-02-2015, 03:55 PM
Given his health condition, unfortunately this is understandable.

MichaelBaron
17-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Kramnik escaped from Aronian by the skin of his teeth.:eh:

ER
17-02-2015, 04:59 PM
Naka wins and joins the 2800+ crème de la crème!
Levon out of the FIDE's live ten best list
Vesco still in it! (6th in the world)
Korchnoi tagged as "ex - Vice World Champion" ( Ex-Vizeweltmeister) by the organisers in Zurich!

Kevin Bonham
17-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Korchnoi tagged as "ex - Vice World Champion" ( Ex-Vizeweltmeister) by the organisers in Zurich!

This "Vice World Champion" thing is a nonsense tag that was also applied to Kosteniuk at a certain stage. You are either world champion or you are not; defeated challenger is just the first loser. Maybe the concept works better in German than in English though.

ER
17-02-2015, 09:16 PM
This "Vice World Champion" thing is a nonsense tag that was also applied to Kosteniuk at a certain stage. You are either world champion or you are not; defeated challenger is just the first loser. Maybe the concept works better in German than in English though.

I couldn't agree more. Actually it sounds more like a cartoon caption if taken literally. On the other hand maybe the "ex VWC" term is taken as meaning world championship challenger or something in their language. Where is Henrik "Macho" Mortensen when you need him? :)

ER
18-02-2015, 10:28 AM
Anand beats Naka and now leads!

MichaelBaron
18-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Anand beats Naka and now leads!

should have watched Naka's press-conference. Very arrigant kid!

Geelong Grizzle
18-02-2015, 03:21 PM
I thort he was quiet crontrollde at his prest confferrinse and a pleshure to lissen too. :)

ER
18-02-2015, 03:43 PM
Not sure if he's still in condition to hold a press conference, but interviews, albeit with some assistance, Victor Korchnoi is still able to perform ok.
Here's his latest one as published on ChessBase.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/viktor-korchnoi-interview-true-to-himself

Geelong Grizzle
18-02-2015, 10:34 PM
The Wolfs only comment was, "I vozz notz vezzy impressed ..." :)

ER
19-02-2015, 11:46 AM
All games drawn.
Anand wins classic.
Now for the rapid!
(Not sure if it starts tonight or tomorrow)

The Wolfs only comment was, "I vozz notz vezzy impressed ..." :)

he looked quite unimpressed in the pictures too!