PDA

View Full Version : Wilton Community Chess Club news 2015

SHump
10-02-2015, 12:06 PM
The Wilton Community Chess Club will be starting in the Bingara Pulse Cafe, 9 to 11 am Sundays. "Building community one game at a time". Come along and have some fun. See http://wiltonchess.wordpress.com for details, directions and a contact form. Gold coin donation requested. Limited chess sets available - BYO chess set, if you can, to ensure you get a game.

This starts this Sunday - perhaps I will be there by myself, perhaps I won't. Note that this is Wilton NSW, between Picton and Appin.

Rincewind
10-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Is Trent still living in that neck of the woods? If so you will likely get at least one other. The local population is such that a large playing number is (I would think) unlikely.

SHump
10-02-2015, 02:40 PM
There are 500 houses now in Bingara Gorge (and growing), and the nearest other chess is Wollongong and Campbelltown (?) though is this still running at the Catholic club? Wilton Junction is planned for 11,000 people (and 2,500 jobs in the area), so I think the only way is up re numbers ;-)

A various diverse demographic as well. So watch this space lol

SHump
23-02-2015, 12:35 PM
We had 5 children and 2 dads come along today for chess at the Pulse Cafe Bingara (from 9am). One family was from Camden south, the other from Bingara Gorge: a perfect example of building community links. I passed on a few chess hints and tips to those that wanted to listen, and the cafe sold some ice creams and coffees so it was a win all around.

The kids that visited today go to Wilton Public School, where I drop in every second Friday for chess at lunch time. If you thought chess was played in a quiet environment, you would be mistaken - the kids were very excited and it was a good noisy!

SHump
13-03-2015, 08:16 AM
The latest Wilton Public School newsletter has a chess item on it:

The news of the establishment of the WPS Chess Club spread quickly among the year 3 – 6 students in the early weeks of the term. The signup sheet was overflowing and I was regularly interrogated by the many chess enthusiasts, “Is Chess Club starting today?”
When we opened the doors for the first time in week 4 we had over 30 students attend, all eager for a game. Brimming with excitement, ranging from beginners (myself included) to the quite experienced players, the atmosphere in the library was quite different to the traditional, quiet, chess setting.

The club has been established with the guidance of local chess guru, Scott, who is volunteering his time to provide his expertise to develop the student’s skills. Mrs Shaw is our onsite chess expert, also sharing her knowledge and skills. The school has purchased 10 chess sets which the students gave the tick of approval this week.

It is great that the kids and teachers are having a good time, and that the school is committing to more chess sets. I hope to bring a love of chess to those that come along, with perhaps more structure for those that want to improve or can commit more time to the game. Time will tell!