PDA

View Full Version : MCC Novice Night 2015

Paul Cavezza
09-02-2015, 01:40 PM
A great group is building at our weekly Novice Night.

Every Wednesday from roughly 6.30pm.
Hosted by Giles Lean & Bill Jordan.
All welcome. Free for members, $5 visitors fee for non-members.
Social, friendly games.
Lectures available on the first Wednesday of the month.

I'll be giving a lecture on Wednesday the 4th of March at 7.30pm.

If there are any of the novice group who would like to send me their games that might be useful for this purpose, feel free to contact me via facebook or pm.

Paul Cavezza
15-02-2015, 11:10 AM
Novice lecture at 7.30pm, Wednesday 4th of March:

Part 1: Bg5 / Bg4. Understanding good and bad pins, and how to take advantage of a bad Bg4/Bg5 (tactically and strategically).

Part 2: Paul V Niru from the club championship. What black can learn from the game.

All welcome

Paul Cavezza
04-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Thanks to all who participated tonight- was a great group!

The Igor Smirnov video I was talking about is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_zWJHYWWJs.

You can download the notes and puzzles from the lecture here under the title "Novice Lecture (Cavezza)": www.melbournechessclub.org/events/historical-tournament-games?pli=1

Give your games to Amy and she'll pass them on to the next speaker.

Dylan Pleiter
05-03-2015, 10:52 AM
Cheers Paul, much appreciated. Rumours are that one Mr Baron will be the next speaker.

Paul Cavezza
05-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Cheers Paul, much appreciated. Rumours are that one Mr Baron will be the next speaker.

Small step down in quality but I'm sure you'll deal with it well.

Bill made an interesting point about the Ne2 move I showed in my game against John Beckman. I tried to make the point that the difference between novice thinking and tournament player thinking is going from "developing moves" to "developing with a plan" moves. A third level on that might be: the difference between "tournament player" thinking and "expert" thinking is not just making developing moves with a plan for yourself, but making developing moves with a plan for yourself which also restrict your opponent's ideas.

MichaelBaron
05-03-2015, 01:05 PM
I dunno Mr Baron is a bit shy to do his lecture straight after Mr Cavezza...but yea - apparently he will.

FM_Bill
06-03-2015, 01:18 PM
One thing I noticed is that the novices are getting stronger. The audience was able to follow a line 6 moves deep.

Paul Cavezza
29-03-2015, 10:32 PM
Hi all,

I believe Carl Gorka will be giving a novice lecture this Wednesday the 1st of April. Carl's a fantastic coach and I recommend all the improving players get down there.

Cheers,
Paul

MichaelBaron
29-03-2015, 11:39 PM
One thing I noticed is that the novices are getting stronger. The audience was able to follow a line 6 moves deep.

Absolutely! The novices are no longer novices!

FM_Bill
30-03-2015, 10:29 AM
Also, I am giving a simul this Weds Mar 31 at 7:30 followed by looking at some of the games.

Great effort by "we are forked", the Novice night team, who got a ratings prize in the Box Hill Teams on Sunday.

MichaelBaron
30-03-2015, 10:11 PM
Also, I am giving a simul this Weds Mar 31 at 7:30 followed by looking at some of the games.

Great effort by "we are forked", the Novice night team, who got a ratings prize in the Box Hill Teams on Sunday.

Wow, will congratulate the forked players when see them on Wednesday at MCC

Carl Gorka
01-04-2015, 10:21 PM
Really enjoyed tonight, great group of people :)

Lecture posted here (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/mcc-novice-group.html).

Carl Gorka
29-06-2015, 11:00 PM
Novice Night Lecture, Wednesday 1st July.

The one and only, FM Jack Puccini will be presenting a lecture at 7.30 pm.

All welcome, free to members, $5 to non members, with social and friendly chess.

Carl Gorka
21-07-2015, 10:00 PM
Novice Night Lecture, Wednesday 5th August.

IM Robert Jamieson will be presenting a lecture at 7.30 pm.

Robert was twice Australian Champion, and once winner of the Australian Open. He represented Australia 5 times at Olympiads and is widely regarded as one of Australia's leading coaches.

His lecture will be: Winning Chess By Simple Means

All welcome, free to members, $5 to non members, with social and friendly chess.

Carl Gorka
19-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Novice Night Lecture, Wednesady 2nd September.

Robert is such an amazing teacher that we at the MCC want him back. As the President of the MCC, Elizabeth Warren said to me on Monday night, "He made things absolutely clear, things that I'd not fully understood before".

Robert's lecture will be: "How NOT to Attack"

All welcome, free to members, $5 to non members, with social and friendly chess

jammo
19-08-2015, 08:20 PM
Novice Night Lecture, Wednesady 2nd September.

Robert is such an amazing teacher that we at the MCC want him back. As the President of the MCC, Elizabeth Warren said to me on Monday night, "He made things absolutely clear, things that I'd not fully understood before".

Robert's lecture will be: "How NOT to Attack"

All welcome, free to members, $5 to non members, with social and friendly chess

Sounds like a fun topic. I'll definitely be turning up.

MichaelBaron
19-08-2015, 11:17 PM
Sounds like a fun topic. I'll definitely be turning up.

Pity I have to work, otherwise would turn up to challenge you to a blitz match right there - I am sure the audience would appreciate :)

jammo
20-08-2015, 08:35 PM
Pity I have to work, otherwise would turn up to challenge you to a blitz match right there - I am sure the audience would appreciate :)

I don't generally play against old people.....