PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Oceania Zonal Chess Championships - OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

mishahu
31-01-2015, 05:38 PM
norths chess club is proud to host

2015 Oceania Zonal Chess Championships

When: 9 Rounds, 4 July to 10 July 2015
Where: norths 12 Abbott Street, Cammeray, New South Wales, Australia
Eligibility: Players must be members of a FIDE Zone 3.6 federation (Australian, Fiji, Guam, New Zealand, Palau, PNG, Solomon Islands).
Entry fees: OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP - $160; WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - $120
Prizes:

Winners will represent Zone 3.6 in the 2015 World Cup.

OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
1st $2,000
2nd $1,000
3rd $600
4th $350
5th $250
6th $200
7th $150
Rated U2000 $200
Rated U1800 $200
Rated U1600 $200

WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP
1st $1,000
2nd $500
3rd $400
Women's rating prizes will be considered in light of entry numbers.

For more information and entry go to www.northsydneychess.org/2015-oceania-zonal

mishahu
31-01-2015, 05:42 PM
And the first entry, quick off the mark, is Victoria's favourite son, Elliott Renzies.

ER
31-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Thanks chief, I 've entered to get it over and done with since I 've got quite a heavy travelling schedule ahead! cheers!

AzureBlue
31-01-2015, 07:05 PM
Could you please confirm that: IM/WIM (=1st in tournament including existing GM/IM/WGM/WIMs), IM/WIM norms (2nd or 3rd in tournament), FM/WFM (6/9), CM/WCM (4.5/9) with no limits on the number of titles awarded? This is what it says on the FIDE handbook but just want to check on limits. Thank you :)

David Webster
15-04-2015, 01:27 PM
The arbiters have been selected:
IA Charles Zworestine
IA Shaun Press
FA Alana Chibnall
FA Brian Jones

Entries are gradually coming in - 17 so far, with IM Gary Lane being the highest rated.

Kevin Bonham
15-04-2015, 01:57 PM
Could you please confirm that: IM/WIM (=1st in tournament including existing GM/IM/WGM/WIMs), IM/WIM norms (2nd or 3rd in tournament), FM/WFM (6/9), CM/WCM (4.5/9) with no limits on the number of titles awarded? This is what it says on the FIDE handbook but just want to check on limits. Thank you :)

In 1.24 there is a defined limit on the number of =1sts who can be eligible for the direct IM/WIM title. If there are more than three players tied for first then only the first three on tiebreak are eligible.

Altecman
15-04-2015, 02:26 PM
What is ACF policy towards change of federation so someone who is not Australian for FIDE can change for the zonal?

Kevin Bonham
15-04-2015, 02:43 PM
What is ACF policy towards change of federation so someone who is not Australian for FIDE can change for the zonal?

They must (this is strictly non-negotiable) be eligible for registration with the ACF as an Australian citizen or resident (not necessarily permanent) and able to supply evidence of citizenship or residency.

They need to contact me (k_bonham@tassie.net.au) advising that they wish to transfer and fill out all the necessary forms and provide required documents. They need to pay all applicable fees to the ACF themselves, which at minimum includes the Notification Fee of 250 Euro, and a small charge to cover the ACF's bank costs. In some cases other FIDE fees apply.

It is entirely their responsibility to ensure their transfer is completed in time. In particular transfers can be sped up by obtaining a letter of non-objection from the former federation. While FIDE will ask the former federation to send such a letter, not all federations will reply. We will not chase up non-replying federations but the applicant is welcome to do so.

We reserve the right to reject transfer requests. The case in which we usually do this is that a player is eligible to represent Australia but has never played here and has no real and lasting connection to the country. The vast majority of requests where the player is willing to pay for the transfer are accepted.

Kevin Bonham
ACF FIDE Admin Officer

Altecman
15-04-2015, 04:22 PM
They must (this is strictly non-negotiable) be eligible for registration with the ACF as an Australian citizen or resident (not necessarily permanent) and able to supply evidence of citizenship or residency.

They need to contact me (k_bonham@tassie.net.au) advising that they wish to transfer and fill out all the necessary forms and provide required documents. They need to pay all applicable fees to the ACF themselves, which at minimum includes the Notification Fee of 250 Euro, and a small charge to cover the ACF's bank costs. In some cases other FIDE fees apply.

It is entirely their responsibility to ensure their transfer is completed in time. In particular transfers can be sped up by obtaining a letter of non-objection from the former federation. While FIDE will ask the former federation to send such a letter, not all federations will reply. We will not chase up non-replying federations but the applicant is welcome to do so.

We reserve the right to reject transfer requests. The case in which we usually do this is that a player is eligible to represent Australia but has never played here and has no real and lasting connection to the country. The vast majority of requests where the player is willing to pay for the transfer are accepted.

Kevin Bonham
ACF FIDE Admin Officer

Thanks Kevin, I will notify the interested party.

David Webster
16-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Shaun Press has confirmed with FIDE that the title requirements are as follows:

Zonal - Open

IM Title: 1st or equal 1st (Maximum 3 players eligible based on tiebreak in case of shared placing's)
IM Norm: Silver and Bronze placing (ie 2nd & 3rd based on tie break in case of shared placing's)
FM Title: 65% or greater Minimum 9 games (ie 6/9 or above for this event). No limit on number of titles awarded.
CM Title: 50% or greater Minimum 9 games (ie 4.5/9 or above for this event). No limit on number of titles awarded.

Zonal - Women's

WIM Title: 1st or equal 1st (Maximum 3 players eligible based on tiebreak in case of shared placing's)
WIM Norm: Silver and Bronze placing (ie 2nd & 3rd based on tie break in case of shared placing's)
WFM Title: 65% or greater Minimum 9 games (ie 6/9 or above for this event). No limit on number of titles awarded.
WCM Title: 50% or greater Minimum 9 games (ie 4.5/9 or above for this event). No limit on number of titles awarded.

Note: A minimum of 8 players from at least 2 Federations is required in each event to be eligible for titles.

Note that the 2 Federations requirement becomes 3 if either the Solomon Islands (currently a 'Federation in Arrears') rejoins FIDE, or Narau's application is accepted before the tournament.

heligan
16-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Maybe you could list the Open and Women's entries separately?

pax
16-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Thanks Kevin, I will notify the interested party.

Note that Australia probably has an interest in strong chess players (e.g over 2200 or so) with overseas registrations retaining their overseas registration, since it can make organising norm tournaments in Australia a little easier. Therefore such a player might get invitations to closed tournaments as an OS player that they might not get as an Australian. Just something for that person to consider.

Lighty
22-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Given the interest this is likely to generate, any title given is going to be well earned. Good luck to all players.

MichaelBaron
24-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Given the interest this is likely to generate, any title given is going to be well earned. Good luck to all players.

Since you are aiming to be an FM by 2016 - this could be your chance :)

Adamski
24-04-2015, 01:13 PM
If I can get the leave from work, I will play.

MichaelBaron
27-04-2015, 10:16 AM
If I can get the leave from work, I will play.

Wow, if you do well can become a CM!

Adamski
27-04-2015, 01:57 PM
Wow, if you do well can become a CM!I would also need to do quite a bit of study. Doubt if I have the time...but you never know!

Tony Dowden
05-05-2015, 10:21 PM
Wow, if you do well can become a CM!
Isn't there another thread for insinuations about cheap titles?

Tony Dowden
05-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Is there any chance that the Open and Women's events will be merged into one event? Based on entries to date there's little or no point in holding a separate Women's event. (But are there rules that govern this?)

MichaelBaron
05-05-2015, 10:44 PM
Is there any chance that the Open and Women's events will be merged into one event? Based on entries to date there's little or no point in holding a separate Women's event. (But are there rules that govern this?)

What will happen to women's titles then? :)

Tony Dowden
06-05-2015, 09:56 PM
What will happen to women's titles then? :)

Good point, I was thinking titles could be awarded to the highest placed women but I suppose that won't work for 'threshold awards' like wfm and wcm titles ...

lost
07-05-2015, 02:53 PM
Good point, I was thinking titles could be awarded to the highest placed women but I suppose that won't work for 'threshold awards' like wfm and wcm titles ...

One thing they have done in African Zonals is when there has only being 8 players they make it a 7 round robin and still award titles as normal. This happened to South African player, Charlize van Zyl who was a WCM and won the tournament with 5.5/7 and was awarded the WIM title.

So if the zonal doesn't get enough participants which I highly doubt it, then it will be a less round robin or perhaps a double round robin if numbers a small.

lost

Tony Dowden
09-05-2015, 11:17 AM
One thing they have done in African Zonals is when there has only being 8 players they make it a 7 round robin and still award titles as normal. This happened to South African player, Charlize van Zyl who was a WCM and won the tournament with 5.5/7 and was awarded the WIM title.

So if the zonal doesn't get enough participants which I highly doubt it, then it will be a less round robin or perhaps a double round robin if numbers a small.

lost

Thanks for the explanation Jamie

lost
10-05-2015, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the explanation Jamie

No problems Tony.

lost

David Webster
25-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Entries so far are 35 in the Open and 6 in the Women's. 7 IMs, 5 FMs and one WIM in the Open, 2 WIMs and 2 IMs in the Women's. Full list here - https://sites.google.com/site/2015oceaniazonal/registration/entries

David Webster
22-06-2015, 04:02 PM
55 Open (including 8 IMs, 7 FMs and 1 WIM) and 11 Women's entries (including 4 WIMs and 2 WFMs) so far. The deadline for entries is this Saturday 27th June. Current entries here - https://sites.google.com/site/2015oceaniazonal/registration/entries

A few players registered to overseas (non-Oceania) federations have tried to enter and we have had to tell them that we unfortunately can not accept their entry. Please note that players must be members of a FIDE Zone 3.6 federation (Australian, Fiji, Guam, New Zealand, Palau, PNG, Solomon Islands). If unsure, check your FIDE profile.

FM_Bill
25-06-2015, 04:52 PM
I would like to see a Zonal in Melbourne. Th last time was 1975(!) and only 2 players from each country (or 3 for the host) were let in.

MichaelBaron
28-06-2015, 12:25 AM
I would like to see a Zonal in Melbourne. Th last time was 1975(!) and only 2 players from each country (or 3 for the host) were let in.

If so few players, who will pay entry fees and collect titles? :)

mishahu
28-06-2015, 01:13 PM
There are now 107 players: 94 in the Open Championship 13 in the Women's.

There are 9 IMs and and 5 WIMs.

See the full list of entrants @ https://sites.google.com/site/2015oceaniazonal/registration/entries

Kevin Bonham
28-06-2015, 01:38 PM
Looking at the size and strength of the Open field we could realistically expect something like 20 players to qualify for CM though probably not all will accept the title. 6/9 for an instant FM title is not easy in that field and will probably take an FM-strength performance, but there's a fair chance a small number will get there.

For title winners I will post details of the claim process once the tournament has finished.

Alana
01-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Hi all,

Due to circumstances beyond the organisers' control, round 7, which is being held on Wednesday 8 July is now starting at 10:30am instead of 1pm as advertised.

We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

David Webster
01-07-2015, 06:38 PM
Thanks Alana. The starting time on Wednesday will now be the same as that on Tuesday.

Also, because we've been asked about this, note that half-point byes are not available in this tournament - players missing a round score zero points. This is noted on the tournament website.

David Webster
01-07-2015, 06:59 PM
Hi David, according to the program
Round 7 is is held on Wed 8 July.
Whatever the change is please correct the official program,
thanks in advance, Elliott

Already fixed one minute before you posted! The webmaster should update the website shortly.

ER
01-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Already fixed one minute before you posted! The webmaster should update the website shortly.

Thanks, see you on Sat! :)

Thebes
02-07-2015, 07:59 PM
Will there be live games?

David Webster
02-07-2015, 09:12 PM
Will there be live games?

Yes, we will be using the 6 NSWCA DGT boards.

Adamski
02-07-2015, 09:33 PM
Norths is a long way from Penrith so I am looking forward to following some live games.

Adamski
03-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Over 100 entries! Well done the organisers at norths. I will refrain from wishing all the players good luck...

MichaelBaron
03-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Over 100 entries! Well done the organisers at norths. I will refrain from wishing all the players good luck...

Cheer up - at least you had a chance to say well done to organisers

Adamski
03-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Over 100 entries! Well done the organisers at norths. I will refrain from wishing all the players good luck...Those who are very "lucky" can come away with IM, FM or CM titles, and I think Wx titles. But this will require some good play I am sure!

David Webster
03-07-2015, 01:57 PM
I have updated the ratings on the entry list to the July ones. The website is currently a more up to date list than on chess-results. Note that some of the players with asterisks will be removed as they have not yet paid (a few have contacted us and arranged when they are going to pay).

Please enter by 5pm this afternoon if you want to play. The first round draw will be done shortly after that.

Alana
03-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Official round 1 open pairings are now on the official tournament website: https://sites.google.com/site/2015oceaniazonal/results/open .

They will also be put up on chess-results.com.

EDIT: Open Round 1 pairings: http://www.chess-results.com/tnr179480.aspx?lan=1&art=2&rd=1&wi=821

Women's Round 1 pairings will be done tomorrow.

RiverHollow
04-07-2015, 12:55 AM
Sorry for not knowing the regulations, but I got some questions (this is for a friend of mine)

Um, If by any chances, you get a bye and a point (lets say you lose your first game and you're unrated). You technically only played 8 games and not 9 (which is the minimum?). So you aren't eligible to get any titles? Is that correct?

Or do you have to score 4.5 out the remaining 8 games where the bye point doesn't count?

Also how many unrated players you are allowed to play (maximum) to still be eligible for a title?

Does anyone have the details/idea on this?

Kevin Bonham
04-07-2015, 02:00 AM
Direct titles (and automatic norms from direct title events) work very differently from norms for titles.

There is no limit on the number of unrated opponents for a direct title or for an automatic norm arising from a direct title event.

There is no requirement to play a specific number of games for the direct IM/WIM titles and norms based on the outright standings. However there must be at least eight players in the tournament.

There is a "minimum 9 games" requirement for direct FM/WFM/CM/WCM. I am not completely certain on this as it is not clearly spelled out for direct titles, and I have never had to claim such a case, but I believe that if the player secures that score over the board in fewer than 9 games then having a round with an unplayed game would not stop them getting the title. I don't believe they can include the bye point in their score. However, the organisers might know more on these points.

David Webster
04-07-2015, 07:09 AM
We did ask about this and what Kevin said above was confirmed.

A player needs to achieve the required score without the bye. For the CM title the player would need to score 4.5/8 from games actually played, meaning a tournament score of 5.5/9.

Also, we have a 100th player who we are planning to accept in the Open, so we should be able to remove the bye. We're still hoping for a 14th player in the Women's, which is why the draw hasn't been done yet.

jammo
04-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Yes, we will be using the 6 NSWCA DGT boards.

I give up trying to find it. Can anyone post the link? Thanks.

Adamski
04-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Round 1 not on until 2 PM.

Adamski
04-07-2015, 11:09 AM
I give up trying to find it. Can anyone post the link? Thanks.https://sites.google.com/site/2015oceaniazonal/view-games

mishahu
04-07-2015, 12:37 PM
https://sites.google.com/site/2015oceaniazonal/view-games

No, that page will be to download PGNs and I hope will have a game viewer. I will put a link to the live boards there also. Please, whoever is setting it up post a link here, and David Alana or Shaun put it into that page and a link also on the home page of the tournament site.

All you coding geniuses out there, please come up with a decent embeddable PGN viewer for Google Sites as the one I've been using isn't supported and gets blocked by web security settings.

Adamski
04-07-2015, 12:51 PM
No, that page will be to download PGNs and I hope will have a game viewer. I will put a link to the live boards there also. Please, whoever is setting it up post a link here, and David Alana or Shaun put it into that page and a link also on the home page of the tournament site.

All you coding geniuses out there, please come up with a decent embeddable PGN viewer for Google Sites as the one I've been using isn't supported and gets blocked by web security settings.Thanks for that mishahu - wish I was a coding genius but I am an IT consultant, architect, analyst and designer - not a coder. See you on Monday.

Alana
04-07-2015, 02:36 PM
Round 1 is underway as of about 20 minutes ago. There are technical difficulties with a number of DGT Boards. This will be fixed as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Adamski
04-07-2015, 03:35 PM
http://www.nswca.org.au/zonal2015/tfd.htm

Alana
04-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Round 2 draws are both on the tournament website via this link: https://sites.google.com/site/2015oceaniazonal/results

The Open section can also be found on chess-results.com. The Women's section will also be uploaded later on.

Kevin Bonham
04-07-2015, 08:34 PM
No serious upsets in the Open round 1, but seeds 2 and 3 Guo and Timergazi held to draws by Sarah Anton and Kashish Christian in round 1 of the Women's. Excellent that a 14th player was found.

At this stage players chasing FM and CM titles who do score upsets may well be brought back to the pack by the Swiss system anyway.

Vlad
04-07-2015, 09:20 PM
No serious upsets in the Open round 1, but seeds 2 and 3 Guo and Timergazi held to draws by Sarah Anton and Kashish Christian in round 1 of the Women's. Excellent that a 14th player was found.

At this stage players chasing FM and CM titles who do score upsets may well be brought back to the pack by the Swiss system anyway.

Just out of curiosity, what are the rules of the game? 1 or 2 FM titles? Whoever (non-FM) gets the maximum number of points but at least 6/9? So the swiss-gambit could be the way to go? Everybody who is over 4.5/9 a CM? Thanks.

David Webster
04-07-2015, 09:41 PM
Just out of curiosity, what are the rules of the game? 1 or 2 FM titles? Whoever (non-FM) gets the maximum number of points but at least 6/9? So the swiss-gambit could be the way to go? Everybody who is over 4.5/9 a CM? Thanks.

There is no limit as to the number of FM and CM titles that can be awarded. Everyone who scores at least 6/9 is eligible for the FM (or WFM) title. I reckon that's likely about the top 15-20 in the Open, so probably mostly players already FM or higher, but a few might reach 5/8 and have an upset win or a lucky pairing in the last round.

Kevin Bonham
04-07-2015, 11:49 PM

As David noted, unlimited FM/WFM titles but players have to score 6 or more points over the board, and unlimited CM/WCM titles but players have to score 4.5 or more points over the board.

For Australian players any FMs/WFMs and IMs/WIMs will get their titles paid for by the ACF but any CMs/WCMs who want their titles will need to pay for them.

MichaelBaron
05-07-2015, 02:18 AM
As David noted, unlimited FM/WFM titles but players have to score 6 or more points over the board, and unlimited CM/WCM titles but players have to score 4.5 or more points over the board.

For Australian players any FMs/WFMs and IMs/WIMs will get their titles paid for by the ACF but any CMs/WCMs who want their titles will need to pay for them.

Wow, FMs who reached 2300 Fide used to pay for themselves..and now ACF will pay for ''feeble masters'' - it is getting rich :)

Kevin Bonham
05-07-2015, 07:59 AM
Wow, FMs who reached 2300 Fide used to pay for themselves..and now ACF will pay for ''feeble masters'' - it is getting rich :)

The main reason for it is that we do not want any Australian to miss out on a norm or title they have earned because another Australian has qualified for, but simply declined to pay for, theirs. Change was made in response to incidents of that kind. We don't pay for CM/WCM because it has no use in assisting other players to qualify for titles.

David Webster
05-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Shaun Press' blog on Day 1 - http://chessexpress.blogspot.com.au/2015/07/2015-oceania-zonal-day-1.html

I'll be visiting in this afternoon and will enter the games for the first two rounds (if nobody else has done it already!) so they should be online tonight.

MichaelBaron
05-07-2015, 03:27 PM
The main reason for it is that we do not want any Australian to miss out on a norm or title they have earned because another Australian has qualified for, but simply declined to pay for, theirs. Change was made in response to incidents of that kind. We don't pay for CM/WCM because it has no use in assisting other players to qualify for titles.

I see that makes sense. What about WFM titles? are they paid for for the same reason (required for norms even though I can not think of females only tournaments other than women's masters where everyone is titled already) or due to ''political correctness''?

David Webster
05-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Games are gradually going up at http://chess-results.com/tnr179480.aspx?lan=1 and http://chess-results.com/tnr179719.aspx?lan=1

Kevin Bonham
05-07-2015, 03:52 PM
I see that makes sense. What about WFM titles? are they paid for for the same reason (required for norms even though I can not think of females only tournaments other than women's masters where everyone is titled already) or due to ''political correctness''?

We pay for WFMs for the same reason. In fact, a WFM title is not just relevant to women's norms from all-female tournaments but is (bizarrely enough) potentially relevant to a full IM or GM norm. 50% of a player's opponents must hold a title for a norm, and that title can include FM/WFM but does not include CM/WCM. It is rare that a player would qualify for an IM norm while playing only five titleholders including a WFM, but it can happen.

David Webster
05-07-2015, 08:11 PM
Currently 17 Round 1 and 29 Round 2 games in the Open and nearly all the Round 1+2 games in the Women's up on chess-results. Ian Rogers has been entering the remaining games, so they will be up later.

Adamski
05-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Currently 17 Round 1 and 29 Round 2 games in the Open and nearly all the Round 1+2 games in the Women's up on chess-results. Ian Rogers has been entering the remaining games, so they will be up later.Great stuff, David and Ian. Great move 30 by Anton against Ton Luchtmeijer today - and excellent subsequent play by the young IM

Capablanca-Fan
06-07-2015, 03:19 AM
What's in it for existing IMs? Sure, one place in the 2015 World Cup, and pretty good prizes, but the entry fee and accommodation would also be expensive.

Adamski
06-07-2015, 11:29 AM
Well done norths player Malcolm Stephens who drew with Anton in Rd 4. A group of players still on 3/3.

Top seed Biljana Dekic (also norths) leading the women on 3 from Rooty Hill's Kristine Quek on 2.5.

David Webster
06-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Games have been updated (thanks Ian, Shaun and Alana) and are at http://chess-results.com/PartieSuche.aspx?lan=1&id=50023&tnr=179480&art=3 (Open) and http://chess-results.com/PartieSuche.aspx?lan=1&id=50023&tnr=179719&art=3 (Women's). Nearly all of the first two rounds are up now.

mishahu
06-07-2015, 01:44 PM
Rooty Hill's Kristine Quek

There you go claiming our members again. Kristine won the candidates division AT NORTHS CHESS CLUB this year.

Adamski
06-07-2015, 05:42 PM
There you go claiming our members again. Kristine won the candidates division AT NORTHS CHESS CLUB this year.She did well at RH too. Beat me FWIW.

Adamski
06-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Is Ian Rogers doing in person commentary?

ER
06-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Is Ian Rogers doing in person commentary?
Unfortunately not!

Adamski
06-07-2015, 06:07 PM
That is sad. On my way nevertheless. Have a game tonight there.

Adamski
06-07-2015, 06:14 PM
Stick around ER I should be there inside 20 mins. Well done with the win!

ER
06-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Stick around ER I should be there inside 20 mins. Well done with the win!

Sorry Adamski, I finished my game much earlier and had to go! Posted this from Avalon!

Garvinator
06-07-2015, 06:41 PM
Sorry to bring a discussion from another thread over to this one, but I am curious. The time control for this event is: Time Control: FIDE time control: 90 minutes for the first 40 moves, followed by 30 minutes for the remaining moves, with an increment of 30 seconds per move from move 1.
and it is the first stage of the world championship, with a place in the world cup on the line. So I am curious, how are the clocks being set? With, or without, the move counter? Meaning, when the first 90 minutes runs out, are clocks being allowed to run to zero and then the 30 minutes are added, or is move counter being used, and the 30 minutes is added once the move counter says 40 moves are made.

David Webster
07-07-2015, 01:58 PM
The extra half hour is added automatically when the move counter reaches 40.

Adamski
07-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Planning to come in and see some of the afternoon/ evening round today, starting 4.30 pm.

Kevin Bonham
07-07-2015, 08:49 PM
A bad round for IMs whose first name is Igor. McClymont beats Goldenberg and now needs 1/3 for an automatic FM title, and is in contention for more:

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 d6 6.Bg5 Bd7 7.Qd2 Rc8 8.f4 h6 9.Bxf6 gxf6 10.0-0-0 Nxd4 11.Qxd4 Qa5 12.Kb1 Qc5 13.Qd2 e6 14.f5 b5 15.fxe6 fxe6 16.g3 Be7 17.Bh3 Qh5 18.Bg2 Qg5 19.Qd3 Rc7 20.e5 dxe5 21.h4 Qf5 22.Be4 Qf2 23.Bg6+ Kf8 24.Ne4 Qb6 25.Rhf1 f5 26.g4 f4 27.Bh5 Rg8 28.g5 hxg5 29.hxg5 Bc6 30.Nf6 Bxf6 31.gxf6 Rd7 32.Qc3 Rg5 33.Qb4+ Kg8 34.Rxd7 1-0

... while Malcolm Stephens has another great result beating Bjelbork with black!

Illingworth beats Ikeda and has 6/6 and a one point lead over Smirnov, Stephens, McClymont and Wallis.

Thebes
07-07-2015, 09:23 PM
If Kristine comes 3rd in the women's but 1st and 2nd have the WIM title, does she receive it?

David Webster
07-07-2015, 10:04 PM
Brodie McClymont and Pengyu Chen are the first players in the Open not already titled to qualify for the CM title. I presume they both have their eyes on higher prizes anyway though.

Good to see Malcolm Stephens having a good tournament - he's been playing a few tournaments at Norths recently and was 3rd behind Max Illingworth and Michael Morris in this year's Club Championships. He may have ended Igor Bjelobrk's hopes of defending his title. Max now leads by a full point and Malcolm will get a go at him tomorrow.

If Kristine comes 3rd in the women's but 1st and 2nd have the WIM title, does she receive it?

Not unless she's tied with the other two (in which case she would get it even if 3rd on tie-break), but she would get a WIM norm for coming 3rd.

Thebes
07-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Thanks David, I saw ari Dale came 2nd at 2013 Oceania but got the IM title so I was confused.

David Webster
07-07-2015, 10:10 PM
Round 7 draw is up, as well as nearly all the games in the Open up to and including Round 5 (still half of Round 4 and a few games in other rounds to enter) and all the games in the Women's up to Round 6.

David Webster
07-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Thanks David, I saw ari Dale came 2nd at 2013 Oceania but got the IM title so I was confused.

FIDE change the rules quite frequently.

Vlad
07-07-2015, 10:32 PM
I think David is overstating it a little bit. There was a big change and it happened very recently. Almost half of all IMs and WIMs in Australia received them through the zonals. That has been stopped.

Kevin Bonham
07-07-2015, 11:20 PM
Brodie McClymont and Pengyu Chen are the first players in the Open not already titled to qualify for the CM title.

They were both already qualified for it by being rated above 2200 FIDE. Anyone Australian-registered who is 2200+ FIDE, even as a live rating, can claim CM should they want it by contacting me and arranging payment to the ACF at any time. Also CM titles can be backclaimed for those who have been 2200+ in the past but no longer are, however I believe there is a time limit on that.

Almost certainly in round 7 some players who were not already eligible for CM will qualify for it.

MichaelBaron
07-07-2015, 11:58 PM
Amazing run by Illingworth! Given his results, looks like his GM title is coming soon

David Webster
08-07-2015, 03:58 PM
Round 8 pairings are up.

Ryan Louie, Kevin O'Chee, Zachary Loh, Donato Mallari, Patrick Halpin, Ton Luchtmeijer, Daniel Gong, Jason Hu and Christopher Ball have all qualified for the CM title should they wish to claim it.

Brodie McClymont requires 0.5/2 for the FM title, Pengyu Chen and Ryan Louie need 1/2.

MichaelBaron
08-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Round 8 pairings are up.

Ryan Louie, Kevin O'Chee, Zachary Loh, Donato Mallari, Patrick Halpin, Ton Luchtmeijer, Daniel Gong, Jason Hu and Christopher Ball have all qualified for the CM title should they wish to claim it.

Brodie McClymont requires 0.5/2 for the FM title, Pengyu Chen and Ryan Louie need 1/2.

Lol Louie is rated under 2000 and did not beat anyone rated over 2200 :)

Desmond
08-07-2015, 05:24 PM
It's good to see Brodie doing well. Is this his first tournament back?

Thebes
08-07-2015, 06:36 PM
He played a tournament in QLD, came 2nd behind Illingworth. Can't remember the name, was recent though. Also played doeberl blitz.

The tournament was on chesschat, just about to play club chess so I can't check which one it is.

Kevin Bonham
08-07-2015, 08:01 PM
Lol Louie is rated under 2000 and did not beat anyone rated over 2200 :)

He is performing at about 2200 though so at least he's performed at the notional CM strength thus far (which most of those getting CM titles by the end won't.)

The new system does seem more potentially prone to softish FM titles than I thought though. In a field of this size it's possible someone gets there with a 2200-ish or maybe even not quite that strong performance.

pax
08-07-2015, 08:28 PM
I think David is overstating it a little bit. There was a big change and it happened very recently. Almost half of all IMs and WIMs in Australia received them through the zonals. That has been stopped.

Not sure about WIMs, but this is a gross exaggeration with respect to IMs. I can count four zonal IMs on the current list, out of about 26 in total.

Kevin Bonham
08-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Not sure about WIMs, but this is a gross exaggeration with respect to IMs. I can count four zonal IMs on the current list, out of about 26 in total.

We have a full list here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?14684-Zonal-Titles

Ten Australian IMs first became titled through Zonals; of these two later became GMs.

A major change was made between the 1999 Zonal with its ridiculous flood of FM titles, and the 2000 Zonal. That was to limit numbers of IM and FM titles that could be awarded. Now the limit on numbers of FM titles is gone but IM titles are much harder. Also in 1999 the FM title was awarded for 4.5/9 and IM for 6/9.

Leonid Sandler
08-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Oceania Zonal tournament being followed around the world.

http://www.argedrez.com/mobile/visorp_1_2287.aspx

Vlad
09-07-2015, 01:11 AM

Out of 9 IMs playing in this event I can see 3 who benefited from the old zonal rules (neither of them would be an IM if the current rules were operational in the past). That makes 33%, not that far from 50%...

One can make a similar exersise for WIM.. If IMs and WIMs are combined, it will be noticeably more than 50%...:)

EDIT: actually, I have just realized that Igor Bjelobrk won the 2013 zonal, so he would be qualified to become an IM with the current rules.

Desmond
09-07-2015, 07:08 AM
He played a tournament in QLD, came 2nd behind Illingworth. Can't remember the name, was recent though. Also played doeberl blitz.

The tournament was on chesschat, just about to play club chess so I can't check which one it is.

Yes you're right - Peninsula Open. Thanks.

Vlad
09-07-2015, 01:27 PM
Could you please make sure that Anton's game vs Max (rather than somebody's else game) is transmitted on board 1? Thanks.

ER
09-07-2015, 04:35 PM
Could you please make sure that Anton's game vs Max (rather than somebody's else game) is transmitted on board 1? Thanks.

A draw and an amicable discussion between the two Olympians after the game! :)

StokesyRedcliff
09-07-2015, 04:57 PM
How did my $1 win bet go on the White Caviar, Redcliffe's Brodie McClymont, in hjs game with fellow Queenslander IM Moulthun Ly?

Garrett
09-07-2015, 05:07 PM
How did my $1 win bet go on the White Caviar, Redcliffe's Brodie McClymont, in hjs game with fellow Queenslander IM Moulthun Ly?

about as good as any $1 bet.

David Webster
09-07-2015, 05:24 PM
As far as I can tell the only two possibilities are:
1. Max wins the tournament (either outright or on most wins if tied with Brodie and Anton)
2. Max and Brodie play off (if Brodie wins and Anton doesn't)

Adamski
09-07-2015, 05:36 PM
You won, mate!

Adamski
09-07-2015, 05:40 PM
The Lanes will be richer after the last round too.

pax
09-07-2015, 07:14 PM
Out of 9 IMs playing in this event I can see 3 who benefited from the old zonal rules (neither of them would be an IM if the current rules were operational in the past). That makes 33%, not that far from 50%...

One can make a similar exersise for WIM.. If IMs and WIMs are combined, it will be noticeably more than 50%...:)

EDIT: actually, I have just realized that Igor Bjelobrk won the 2013 zonal, so he would be qualified to become an IM with the current rules.

Ok, so let's be completely clear then. 7 out of 13 Australian WIMs obtained their titles from the zonal (slightly over 50%), 10 out of 33 Australian IMs (including current GMs) obtained their titles via the zonal (that's just over 30%).

Altecman
09-07-2015, 07:27 PM
Good luck to everyone tomorrow with gaining their FIDE Titles, and in the leaders cases, a trip to the World Cup.

Kevin Bonham
09-07-2015, 08:41 PM
Congrats to Brodie and Pengyu on securing FM titles - both would very likely have soon got there on rating anyway.

Brodie gets an IM title if he beats Max with white, irrespective of other results.

The following nine players are playing for FM titles:

Halpin needs a draw with black vs IM Goldenberg
Loh needs a draw with white vs FM Smith
Hu needs a draw with black vs IM Solomon
Rains needs a win with white vs IM Bjelobrk
O'Chee needs a win with black vs FM Wallis
Narenthran needs a win with white vs IM Dale
Ryan needs a win with black vs FM Zelesco
Ball needs a win with black vs FM Stojic
Dutta needs a win with white vs Bruce Murray

Most are playing much stronger opposition and probably most of them won't get there but a few will.

Does anyone know what Patrick Halpin's peak rating was? He was 2265 in 2000; I am wondering whether he might have passed 2300 some time ages ago but never taken the title.

Women's: Quek gets WFM if she beats Krstevska with black, which on rating is a pretty likely result. Indeed she could get WIM if she wins but this requires Timergazi to beat Guo, Lane not to beat Anton and also avoiding missing out in a four-way countback should that occur (all so unlikely I haven't checked the requirements yet).

David Webster
09-07-2015, 09:20 PM
Brodie gets an IM norm with a draw (whether in the usual way due to performance or due to being top 3 in the tournament - although someone should check my calculation on the performance requirement).

The potential FM title for Dutta would be beating only 1800 rated players + Prasad (2009) and Murray (who happens to have the same ACF rating as Dutta of 1937) - he just got lucky with the last round pairing, but the rest will have to beat or draw with someone who is at least FM.

Lane is 4th in a 4-way tie if it happens in the woman's, so Quek gets the WIM title in any =1st tie (and can even win the tournament if tied only with Lane and Guo).

This is how the rules are and at least the 'undeserved' titles are only CM and FM titles, which are mostly meaningless in terms of effects on tournaments such as free entries, except that the FM titles have the benefit of making norms for other players easier.

The CM title isn't taken seriously by most players, the most common reason I've heard for wanting it is as a way to get free memberships to various chess websites.

Kevin Bonham
09-07-2015, 09:36 PM
Posts moved

As nearly always happens with Zonals, posts relating to the softness or otherwise of some titles that may be received are starting to overshadow the tournament posts and branch into more general discussions of FIDE's approach to titles.

I have moved some posts to the general "soft titles" thread:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?3707-soft-titles-(sf-QT-classic-and-Fiji-Zonal)

starting from #875.

Posts that are mainly about the issue of soft titles (whether specific to this Zonal or not) should probably go to that thread.

MichaelBaron
09-07-2015, 09:37 PM
Congrats to Brodie and Pengyu on securing FM titles - both would very likely have soon got there on rating anyway.

Brodie gets an IM title if he beats Max with white, irrespective of other results.

The following nine players are playing for FM titles:

Halpin needs a draw with black vs IM Goldenberg
Loh needs a draw with white vs FM Smith
Hu needs a draw with black vs IM Solomon
Rains needs a win with white vs IM Bjelobrk
O'Chee needs a win with black vs FM Wallis
Narenthran needs a win with white vs IM Dale
Ryan needs a win with black vs FM Zelesco
Ball needs a win with black vs FM Stojic
Dutta needs a win with white vs Bruce Murray

Most are playing much stronger opposition and probably most of them won't get there but a few will.

Does anyone know what Patrick Halpin's peak rating was? He was 2265 in 2000; I am wondering whether he might have passed 2300 some time ages ago but never taken the title.

Women's: Quek gets WFM if she beats Krstevska with black, which on rating is a pretty likely result. Indeed she could get WIM if she wins but this requires Timergazi to beat Guo, Lane not to beat Anton and also avoiding missing out in a four-way countback should that occur (all so unlikely I haven't checks the requirements yet).

Unfortunately, I think there will be probably quite a few FMs (funny Masters) as a result but lets wait and see. Some of the stronger Players are not as motivated as the ones playing for title.

Brodie vs. Max will be interesting and clearly both players are super-motivated. White has nothing to lose and black wants to go to World Cup so will also fight super-hard.
Both players who secured FM titles already are strong enough to be FMs so clearly, no deflation of the FM titles is talking place so far.

Now re those who still have chances, let me have fun and ''play'' the analyst:
Goldenberg-Halpin ....Goldenberg is much stronger but 2150 rated player when so motivated has a reasonable chance of drawing as Black (say 30%) However, I am expecting Igor to play for win so the draw will have to be earned. Then, should the draw be achieved, we are getting an FM who is U2200 and 60yo (so not a junior who will ''grow and improve''.

Loh-Smith - White's chances to get FM title look very good here. First of all the rating difference is not that great. Secondly, Zahary is very solid with white pieces and given insignificant rating difference, I doubt Smith (who is a nice guy) will bother to play for win. My prediction is draw without much drama.

Solomon- Hu - Jason started with 2 losses in first 2 rounds so played a weak field to get to 5.5. If he gets the draw he will be indeed a ''funny master''. However, I expect Solomon to play for win so the chance is there...but I would say it is about 20-30% chance that the required draw will be achieved.

Rains-Bjelbork & Wallis-O'Chee - hopefully stronger players will not blunder and lose because unless they blunder or superdemotivated - they should not be losing. Also having FMs rated below 2100 will be not even funny. :wall:

Narentharan-Dale - 2000 rated FM...Somehow I feel he has a chance as Dale is very strong (as shown by his great showing in Wejk-An-Zee) but when down and demotivated - is sometimes prone to blunders.
Zelesco-Ryan - hopefully white will play solidly as always ..then I do not fancy Black's chances. However, in a single game..anything can happen.

Stojic -Ball - Dusan is a very good player at times but very inconsistent...hopefully he will play well and when he is playing near his best, of course not chance for opponent of such rating

Dutta- Murray - White is not a very strong player...but then Black is also not strong at all so given the difference in motivation - Pretty good chance for Dutta.

As for CMs ...:whistle: I better not comment :) :) :)

StokesyRedcliff
09-07-2015, 09:41 PM
My $1 bet is on Redcliffe Chess Club's Brodie McClymont to win on board 1 as White tomorrow against IM Max Illingworth and secure the IM Title! I hope this bet goes like all my other $1 bets! Go Brodie!

Kevin Bonham
09-07-2015, 09:54 PM
Unfortunately, I think there will be probably quite a few FMs (funny Masters) as a result but lets wait and see. Some of the stronger Players are not as motivated as the ones playing for title.

This is the big unknown; how many of these low-rated players are going to play the games of their life with a title on the line?

O'Chee has had some big weekender wins with some major scalps, so is well capable of pulling an upset, though having black makes it harder for him.

Anyone want a shot at predicting how many of those going for FM tomorrow in the Open event will make it? My guess is three.

MichaelBaron
09-07-2015, 09:59 PM
This is the big unknown; how many of these low-rated players are going to play the games of their life with a title on the line?

O'Chee has had some big weekender wins with some major scalps, so is well capable of pulling an upset, though having black makes it harder for him.

Hey, all analysts can error! Of course anything is possible in any of the games :)

David Webster
09-07-2015, 10:19 PM

Anyone want a shot at predicting how many of those going for FM tomorrow in the Open event will make it? My guess is three.

O'Chee is the only player to have beaten Max Illingworth in a rapid game in the last 6-7 years (Max has a rapid rating of 2747). He also beat Max and IM Bjelobrk in the Ryde-Eastwood weekender last year, finishing =1st with IM Dale. Kind of a short time control specialist though, his results at FIDE time controls are less impressive, hence the gap between his ACF rating of 2227 and FIDE of 2058.

I think two or three sounds about right - in order of likelihood:
Loh, Dutta, Halpin, Hu, O'Chee, Louie, Tharmaratnam, Ball, Rains

Vlad
09-07-2015, 11:03 PM
I would say 3-4. The top three are Loh, Dutta and O'Chee. The difference in Kevin's rating is not because he is a short time control specialist but rather because he mostly plays weekenders that are rarely FIDE rated. In my opinion, he is true 2200+. Given that Chris is having a bad tournament and obviously Kevin is motivated, I would say Kevin has a fair chance.

Edit: How did he manage not to win against Solo today? When I was leaving I thought the result was clear...:doh:

Edit2: If we ask a different question - who is the closest in terms of their actual strength to 2300 level? Then the top 3 in my opinion will be Loh, O'Chee and Hu.

Adamski
10-07-2015, 08:58 AM
It is worth noting tbat in her first strong tournament in a while, Nancy Lane is doing very well. A win today and she would be in the bigger money for the event. Go Nancy!

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2015, 11:41 AM
Process For Claiming Oceania Zonal Titles For Players Registered To Australia

This process applies to Zonal title winners who are registered to federation AUS. If you are registered to another federation this does not apply to you and you will need to contact your own federation to find out what their process is.

1. IM/WIM, FM/WFM Titles

If you have won one of these titles you do not have to do anything but please email your postal address to me at k_bonham@tassie.net.au as this may assist in eventually getting you your certificate.

2. CM/WCM Titles

If you have won one of these titles (available for a score of 4.5/9 or above, counting points over the board and not any unplayed games) you will need to contact me at k_bonham@tassie.net.au stating that you wish to accept the title. In so doing, please also provide your postal address. If you expect it to change in the next year and have an alternative postal address, please advise the latter.

Upon confirmation of the titles by FIDE (last time this took about a month), I will email you with details of the ACF bank account, the payment amount and the payment process. You then have one week to pay the amount stated (will be about $78, depending on exchange rates). The amount will be based on the Euro to AUD conversion at the time plus a small amount to cover a share of the ACF’s currency conversion costs. If you do not claim or pay by that time you can still claim and pay later but the cost may change and especially we may need to charge more for currency conversion.

If you know you will not be accepting the CM/WCM title at this time please let me know; this does not affect your ability to accept it later.

Certificates

Please be aware that the process for getting certificates from FIDE to players is slow and not entirely reliable. Please contact me after one year if you sent me your address but have still not received your certificate.

Congratulations to all title winners.

Kevin Bonham
ACF FIDE Admin Officer

MichaelBaron
10-07-2015, 02:50 PM
What happened in Women's zonal in Goswami-Jarek? very surprising victory for white!

Sutek
10-07-2015, 03:23 PM

Yes Pat was over 2300 a long time ago.

2340 on the 1991 list.
http://www.mark-weeks.com/chess/ratings/

Adamski
10-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Looks to me like Max blundered v Brodie. He was winning but lost. Now there is a play-off for the title and I think Brodie is an IM in waiting.

pax
10-07-2015, 03:37 PM

2340 on the 1991 list.
http://www.mark-weeks.com/chess/ratings/

Nice catch!

Bill Gletsos
10-07-2015, 03:39 PM

2340 on the 1991 list.
http://www.mark-weeks.com/chess/ratings/Yes 2340 on the January 1991 list.

Desmond
10-07-2015, 03:42 PM
Well done IM Brodie :clap:

FM_Bill
10-07-2015, 03:44 PM
...Ke7 by Max seemed terrible to me, though even instead ...Ng8, Bd3 and Bxg6 keeps Black under pressure. I don't think Max should have gone for the third pawn with ...Bxd2. White's rooks became very active. I don't think Brodie had enough for the 2 pawns, however it shows how difficult it can be to consolidate when the opponent's pieces are active.

Fantastic tournament for Brodie, and a good effort by Malcolm Stephens and Pengyu Chen.

pax
10-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Looks to me like Max blundered v Brodie. He was winning but lost. Now there is a play-off for the title and I think Brodie is an IM in waiting.

It was a series of inaccurate moves rather than a single howler, I think. Credit to Brodie for keeping the pressure on and giving his opponent the opportunity to make mistakes.

MichaelBaron
10-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Yes 2340 on the January 1991 list.

The irony is..he is one of those who failed to get 6 points. Hopefully, he can still claim his title based on the 1991 rating

MichaelBaron
10-07-2015, 04:03 PM
When will the play-off for the WC qualification spot start? will it be transmitted live?

Thebes
10-07-2015, 04:04 PM
When is the play-off game?

Adamski
10-07-2015, 04:08 PM
The web site said 4 PM - i.e. now, if it is correct.

Day 7, 10 July

Round 9 - 10:30 am
Playoff if necessary - 4 pm
followed by Prizegiving

But no new live boards showing yet. Maybe they have to wait for a game or games to finish. I am at work so I don't know....

Sutek
10-07-2015, 04:10 PM
The irony is..he is one of those who failed to get 6 points. Hopefully, he can still claim his title based on the 1991 rating

Pat was never too interested in the FM title.
The title back then was considered to be a bit of a joke :)
I should catch up with him tomorrow.
Maybe talk him into applying and forking out 100 Swiss francs is it?

Thebes
10-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Both divisions are updated, so games are finished.
Must be a delay.

Bill Gletsos
10-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Maybe talk him into applying and forking out 100 Swiss francs is it?The ACF pays for FM (WFM) titles and above.

Thebes
10-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Boards are setup. at nswca website

MIRKO
10-07-2015, 04:22 PM
ChessState of origin is on !!!! Qld Vs NSW

FM_Bill
10-07-2015, 05:20 PM
Does anyone know what the time-limit of the playoff game is?

Adamski
10-07-2015, 05:28 PM
Does anyone know what the time-limit of the playoff game is?25 mins each plus 10 secs increment.

ER
10-07-2015, 05:38 PM
If tied, 5 mins plus 3 secs increment and if tied again Armageddon! - 5 mins for White, 4 mins for Black - Black wins if drawn. Increment (not sure how many secs) after move 61!

Adamski
10-07-2015, 05:43 PM
On the women's Zonal well done to Emma and Nancy. First and second respectively. 3= Biljana and Kristine. .All assuming chess - results. com is correct of course.

MichaelBaron
10-07-2015, 06:28 PM
On the women's Zonal well done to Emma and Nancy. First and second respectively. 3= Biljana and Kristine. .All assuming chess - results. com is correct of course.

Particular well-done to Kristine who has only taken up chess recently and has already turned into a serious contender at women's events.

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2015, 06:28 PM
Maybe talk him into applying and forking out 100 Swiss francs is it?

The ACF would pay if the title could be awarded but I don't think it still can.

When FIDE announced their mid-2013 deadline for norm claims prior to mid-2005 they also announced as follows:

"Titles (FM/WFM/CM/WCM) achieved through a published rating or from an Olympiad result prior to 1st July 2005, must also be registered before 31st July 2013. Failing which, such norms or title claims will be considered to have expired on 31st July 2013. "

However this may change in the future. A vote at the QC on whether to lift this restriction for cases where the title claim could be proven was tied at last year's Congress, so maybe they will lift the restriction someday.

http://www.fide.com/component/content/article/1-fide-news/7202-title-norms-deadline-extended-to-31-july-2013.html

Banana
10-07-2015, 06:33 PM
This tourney is over? I don't see the results, probably coz I'm a patz at this.

But can they be posted here - a crosstable of some sort? Thanks.

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2015, 06:46 PM
By my unofficial reckoning and pending FIDE confirmation:

Zonal Champion: IM Max Illingworth (won playoff)
IM: Brodie McClymont
IM norm: FM Malcolm Stephens
FM: Pengyu Chen, Zachary Loh, Kevin O'Chee
Up to 37 eligible for CM (haven't checked them all for unplayed games)

Womens Zonal Champion: WIM Emma Guo
WFM: Kristine Quek
Eligible for WCM: Kashish Christian, Zhi Lin Guo.

Adamski
10-07-2015, 06:47 PM
[re #142 - mod] Not yet. Playoff on. But go to www.chess-results. com. Pick AUS. Top 2 links.

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2015, 06:47 PM
This tourney is over? I don't see the results, probably coz I'm a patz at this.

But can they be posted here - a crosstable of some sort? Thanks.

See https://sites.google.com/site/2015oceaniazonal/results/open and https://sites.google.com/site/2015oceaniazonal/results/womens for results.

mishahu
10-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Zonal Champion: IM Max Illingworth

Brodie is shown in fist place on the crosstable. Why isn't he Zonal Champion?

AzureBlue
10-07-2015, 06:59 PM
Brodie is shown in fist place on the crosstable. Why isn't he Zonal Champion?

If Anton won his last-round game, I think Brodie would've been Zonal Champion (due to direct encounter being the first tiebreak for more than 2 people on =1st).
But since there were only 2 people on =1st at the end, the play-offs were implemented.

* Playoff and tiebreaks

In the case of a tie between two players for first place, a playoff match will be required to decide the title of Zonal Champion and the qualifying place for the 2015 World Cup.

The playoff match will begin at 4.00 pm on the day of the final round.

The format will be: 2 games, 25m+10s per move (draw for colours).
If still tied: 2 games, 10m+10s per move (draw for colours)
If still tied: 2 games, 5m+3s per move (draw for colours)
If still tied: 1 game, 5m for White, 4 m for Black, 3s inc from move 61. Drawn game is a win for Black.
(As per regulations for the 2015 World Cup 2015)

In the case of more than two players tied for first, the title of Zonal Champion and the qualifying place for the 2015 World Cup will be decided by tiebreak.
Tiebreaks will be based on the FIDE recommended order for tiebreaks for individual Swiss tournaments where ratings are consistent. These are:
Direct encounter
The greater number of wins
The greater number of games with Black (unplayed games shall be counted as played with White)
AROC
Buchholz Cut 1
Buchholz
Sonneborn-Berger

mishahu
10-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Brilliant results for Norths Chess Club. =1st Max, =3rd Malcolm and Anton in the Open; Kristine and Biljana =3rd in the Women's.

David Webster
10-07-2015, 07:08 PM
If Anton won his last-round game, I think Brodie would've been Zonal Champion (due to direct encounter being the first tiebreak for more than 2 people on =1st).
But since there were only 2 people on =1st at the end, the play-offs were implemented.

Brodie didn't play Anton, so direct encounter doesn't work. Max would have won on Most Wins.

AzureBlue
10-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Brodie didn't play Anton, so direct encounter doesn't work. Max would have won on Most Wins.
Oops, thanks for correcting.

'If all the tied players have met each other, the sum of points from these encounters is used. The player with the highest score is ranked number 1 and so on. If some but not all have played each other, the player with a score that could not be equalled by any other player (if all such games had been played) is ranked number 1 and so on.'

Bill Gletsos
10-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Brodie is shown in fist place on the crosstable. Why isn't he Zonal Champion?The title is determined by play-off when two players tie.

Brodie
11-07-2015, 12:52 AM
I'm IM!

Capablanca-Fan
11-07-2015, 01:05 AM
I'm IM!

And deservedly so!

Kevin Bonham
11-07-2015, 01:55 AM
Saved us money by going straight to IM without stopping on first base for long enough to pay for the title! :clap:

Capablanca-Fan
11-07-2015, 04:52 AM
Saved us money by going straight to IM without stopping on first base for long enough to pay for the title! :clap:

Well then, you could split the difference and pay Brodie half the FM application fee, and you'd still be ahead ;)

ER
11-07-2015, 09:07 AM
I'm IM!

... and I hope GM soon son! You are a fighter and deserve every credit! :clap:

StokesyRedcliff
11-07-2015, 06:50 PM
My $1 win bet on Brodie McClymont came through! You beauty! I should be able to retire soon on my massive winnings!
A hearty congratulations to my Redcliffe clubmate Brodie McClymont for winning the International Master Title by finishing the tournament undefeated with wins over IM Moulthun Ly and IM Max Illingworth in the last two rounds of the Zonal! ( On this same day, Friday July10, 2015 Redcliffe Chess Club's Tom Maguire also won the CAQ Inc Queensland Junior Chess Championship with a great score of 7.5 out of 8! )
It was a great performance once again overall by Max Illingworth to finish equal first with Brodie and then win the two game Rapid Chess playoff with Brodie by 1.5 to 0.5 and win the right to represent Australia in the next World Chess Championship cycle! Good luck in that big event Max.

Kevin Bonham
14-07-2015, 08:47 PM
CM Titles

Just putting up the list of AUS CM-entitled (subject to FIDE confirmation) players who have so far notified me they're accepting or not accepting their titles, and those I haven't heard from yet. This post will be updated as more come in and I'm doing it mainly as insurance against any emails not reaching me. Note that a player who declines can always accept at a later time

Accept (26): T Slater-Jones, Ball, Chek, Murray, Krstevski, Stead, Louie, Narenthran, Ng, Yan, Hain, Kelly, H Slater-Jones, Lam, Walker, Xuan, Chan, Abbott, Hu, K Willathgamuwa, R Willathgamuwa, Prasad, Wan, Davis, Dutta, Cabilin

Decline: H Press

Not yet heard from (7): Halpin, P Gong, Mallari, Luchtmeijer, Rewais, Huynh, Parsonage.

WCM

Accept: Zhi Lin Guo

Not yet heard from: Christian

For those who haven't notified yet but do want the title or are still thinking about it - I will post here when we have received notice of the titles from FIDE. From that point a claimant must have notified and paid within one week to secure the price announced at the time.

For those who have not yet seen what you should do to accept a CM title, go to post 117:
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?15782-2015-Oceania-Zonal-Chess-Championships-OFFICIAL-ANNOUNCEMENT&p=398195&viewfull=1#post398195

ER
21-07-2015, 06:08 PM
Some pictures (*) from the 2015 Oceania zonal, successfully held at the Norths Chess Club. Excellent organisation, thank you all for your hospitality, brilliant direction and yet again availability of those great facilities and support. I urge all (of you who still aren't) to become members! It's really worth it!

From the opening ceremony. The President of the Norths Chess Club Mr Paul R Glissan (left - during the opening speech) and the President of ACF Mr Garry Wastell

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-grTypVS7P7E/VaGCqfWpE4I/AAAAAAABE-4/N_fWNClp6Ow/w679-h509-no/IMG_8487.JPG

The President of the Oceania CC Mr Paul Spiller

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5OikxPA0rEU/VaGCshXPWOI/AAAAAAABE-4/3TamtHsPRII/w382-h509-no/IMG_8491.JPG

The Hon Gladys Berejiklian, Treasurer of New South Wales and Minister for Industrial Relations, during her official opening speech.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sArZu5RO5f0/VaGCuVJ8BJI/AAAAAAABE-4/kI6RKVHf240/w382-h509-no/IMG_8493.JPG

The Norths magnificent venue, home of the 2015 Oceania Zonal. The President of the Norths Chess Club Mr Paul R Glissan justifiably proud of his Club's another great achievement was publicly and privately full of praise for the contribution of another rock-solid chess worker ex-OCC president Mr Brian Jones in regards to the Club's staging the Zonal!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-QTGTIo7_shE/VaGCzN0jnuI/AAAAAAABE-4/zGAK-c0U8wE/w679-h509-no/IMG_8496.JPG

And some chess! :) Here's the crucial final round game between IMs Brodie McLymont QLD (left) and member of the Australian Olympic team IM Max Illingworth (NSW)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ajguBkJh4Zw/VaGDHh5xRWI/AAAAAAABE-4/herfJ391VdY/w734-h509-no/IMG_8585.JPG

And the play - off stage! (Who said Chess isn't a spectator sport?) :)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-kHsWsw8xEg0/VaGDdsoJF8I/AAAAAAABE-4/jSEx2RY0D58/w1032-h509-no/IMG_8607.JPG

And a view of a Sydney Harbour sunset. Picture taken from the Bridge! It was relaxing walking over to North Sydney from the CBD. Then I 'd take the short bus trip to the venue!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ihxRIV_ndJY/VaHLvd9oi-I/AAAAAAABE0o/YrZPnjVORt0/w1044-h474-no/IMG_8529.JPG

This is the conclusion of my very short pictorial report of the 2015 Oceania Zonal. I look forward to seeing you all next time! Cheers and good luck. E.R.

Photos: Elliott Renzies

(*) Pictorial report has also been published on Norths' Face Book Page and shared on Face Book general view

Adamski
22-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Elliott's camera work on the photographic review of the event is definitely worth a "like".

ER
26-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Elliott's camera work on the photographic review of the event is definitely worth a "like".

Thanks Adamski, it was a great event and I am glad I was a part of it!

Kevin Bonham
31-07-2015, 08:53 PM
FIDE have confirmed the list of players eligible for titles as shown in #157. I have emailed to confirm we accept the IM, three FM and one WFM titles. These will show on player profiles after processing.

Those eligible for CM who have told me they wish to collect it will be emailed within the next few hours and will then have until Friday 6 August to pay the ACF.

Bad week for the $AUS against the euro unfortunately; the title fee will be $AUS 80.

Kevin Bonham
31-07-2015, 09:12 PM
This list will now track who I believe has paid. It will be updated over the coming week.

Accept And Paid (26): Stead, Murray, Yan, Xuan, Abbott, Lam, Chek, Chan, Ng, K Willathgamuwa, R Willathgamuwa, Wan, Hain, Prasad, Krstevski, Walker, Cabilin, Dutta, Parsonage, Kelly, Davis, Ball, Narenthran, T Slater-Jones, H Slater-Jones, Louie

Accept - to pay (including notifying me of having paid) (1): Hu

Decline: H Press

Not yet heard from (6): Halpin, P Gong, Mallari, Luchtmeijer, Rewais, Huynh.

WCM

Accept And Paid (2): Christian, Zhi Lin Guo

Emails have been sent to all those listed as "Accept - to pay".

Kevin Bonham
02-08-2015, 02:30 PM
All AUS IM/FM/WFM titles and the one AUS IM norm are now showing on the FIDE website.

Vlad
02-08-2015, 03:50 PM
All AUS IM/FM/WFM titles and the one AUS IM norm are now showing on the FIDE website.

Regarding the IM norm, my calculations show that after one uplift the average is 2219 that is short of required 2230. Is any additional rule applied that I am not aware of?

Kevin Bonham
02-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Regarding the IM norm, my calculations show that after one uplift the average is 2219 that is short of required 2230. Is any additional rule applied that I am not aware of?

It is a Zonal-specific IM norm under the new Zonal titles rules. Top three after tiebreak - he was equal third but third after tiebreak. It is not an IM norm by performance because of averageing though if IM norms were based on TPR it would be.

Vlad
02-08-2015, 06:05 PM
Thanks Kevin. While I think Malcolm's performance was worthy of IM norm, the rules FIDE come up are absolutely random. Out of two people sharing the third, Anton's performance was higher. It would be fairer if the tie-break rule was the performance rating.:)

David Webster
03-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Thanks Kevin. While I think Malcolm's performance was worthy of IM norm, the rules FIDE come up are absolutely random. Out of two people sharing the third, Anton's performance was higher. It would be fairer if the tie-break rule was the performance rating.:)

The tie-break used was most wins, which may be fine for top level tournaments, but in big Swiss tournaments tends to favour the player who has performed worse (the better performing player is likely to have picked up more draws while playing the top players, while the worse performing player might have beaten a bunch of weaker players).

Ian Rout
03-08-2015, 11:48 AM
The problem with performance rating as a tie-break is that it's based on the premise that everybody's rating is accurate and they are playing to it. If you get a game against a rusty old guy playing his first tournament in three years, or a newish player with a generous rating based on a handful of games, or someone sick or distracted by other issues, then it counts twice - you not only get a relatively soft game, but it also gives you more credit on the tie-break.

Kevin Bonham
09-01-2016, 09:59 AM
I have received many of the remaining certificates arising from the event and also some others. Five for Queensland players have been given to CAQ President Mark Stokes who will arrange delivery. I am delivering some myself to players who are at the tournament.

If anyone at the tournament knows and regularly sees the following and can reliably and promptly deliver a certificate and probably a badge as well to them please let me know and I will give them those badges and certificates. The remainder will be posted in mid-January after I return to Hobart.

Jeff Cabilin
Anthony Chan
Adrian Chek
Rishi Dutta
Anthony Hain
Jonas Muller
Jeffery Plew
Lalit Prasad
Oscar Wang
Kevin and Rowan Willathgamuwa
Thomas Xuan
Matthew Yan