PDA

View Full Version : Hobsons Bay Chess Club - FIDE rated from 2015

Hobsons Bay CC
16-01-2015, 04:09 PM
The Hobsons Bay Chess Club (in Western Suburbs of Melbourne) will FIDE rate its club tournaments from 2015, and welcomes new members wishing to engage in a competitive and friendly environment.

The club meets from 7:45 pm on Tuesday nights at the Louis Joel Community Centre in Altona (same venue as the Best in the West Weekender). The address is 5 Sargood Street in Altona.

The tournaments for 2015 commence on Tuesday 3 February at 7:45. For any queries, please free free to contact me on steven.hogan2@hotmail.com or on 0413 941 467.

Regards
Steven Hogan
Hobsons Bay Chess Club

bill jiang
16-01-2015, 05:12 PM
So will the 2015 best in the west be fide rated as well?

MichaelBaron
16-01-2015, 05:24 PM
Excellent news! On behalf of myself and Adamski congratulations and good luck! Will certainly advise my students about your tournaments as having events Fide-rated gives players more incentive to try hard and to take their games more seriously!

Chigoresov
21-01-2015, 10:15 AM
So will the 2015 best in the west be fide rated as well?

The Best in the West is a long-running and traditional tournament which will not be changing its format. The time controls do not allow us to have it FIDE rated.

It is well supported by local business and therefore has excellent prize money. It is more of a sprint event than a marathon and I think this is the way the majority of competitors like it.

It is unique in that you don't risk your international rating, but sponsorship allows us to return far more to players than is taken in entries. :owned:

Hobsons Bay CC
27-01-2015, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the query and support Michael. The response above is correct, the Best in the West will continue to be ACF rated only. The decision to FIDE rate the club's regular activities is designed to attract additional players to the club on a regular basis.

Chigoresov
03-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Anyone wanting to play FIDE rated games tonight, please come along to the Louis Joel Community Centre in Altona!

Bill Gletsos
04-02-2015, 04:25 PM
Anyone wanting to play FIDE rated games tonight, please come along to the Louis Joel Community Centre in Altona!Actually they wont be FIDE rated.
FIDE rated tournaments must be pre-registered. This tournament has not been.
For details refer to the notices section in the ACF Newsletter.

MichaelBaron
05-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Actually they wont be FIDE rated.
FIDE rated tournaments must be pre-registered. This tournament has not been.
For details refer to the notices section in the ACF Newsletter.

Unless The chessclub started the tournament...but pretends they start next week ;). And I believe this too can be done :)

Bill Gletsos
05-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Unless The chessclub started the tournament...but pretends they start next week ;). And I believe this too can be done :)Not if I'm aware of it.
Any club caught doing such shenanigans would find themselves having none of their events being FIDE rated.

Hobsons Bay CC
14-02-2015, 11:35 AM
Sorry for this oversight. I have formally registered the remaining tournaments for the year for FIDE rating. The next FIDE rated event (Purdy Cup) commences on Tuesday 17 March.

Chigoresov
13-03-2015, 04:05 PM
A reminder to those of you who are looking to play FIDE rated games on Tuesdays...come along to Altona - a short trip over the Westgate bridge from next Tuesday 17/3 to play the 5 round Purdy Cup!