PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Lidums Australian Young Masters, December 8-11, Adelaide

Fedge
18-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks to the ongoing support of our generous sponsors, the Lidums Australian Young Masters will once again be held in Adelaide from December 8-11.

There are a couple of major changes this year. Firstly, the tournament is moving to a new venue - spacious and air-conditioned rooms at the University of Adelaide. There will also be a change in both the format and age limit; the Junior Masters will move to a Swiss format with an Open and u/1600 section, while participation for all tournaments will be open to all players born on or after 1 January 1989.

The tournament immediately follows the Australian Schools Team Championship which will also be held in Adelaide on December 6-7 and all participants are welcome to enter.

Please visit our website for more information and to register: http://lidumsaym.com/

Alexander H
20-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Is there accommodation nearby???

damo
20-10-2014, 04:10 PM
The venue is in the CBD with dozens of good accommodation options within walking distance.

MichaelBaron
20-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Can not help noticing that if we hold Victorian young masters - the field will be stronger than for Australian Young masters :). Morris, Izzat, Wallis, Dale, Zelesco, Puccini...:).
Hopefully Izzat and Morris will dominate the masters as expected ;)

Fedge
20-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Is there accommodation nearby???

There should be some options at the CBD. We'll do our best to provide lodging with another player if you're interested, or to put you in touch with another player looking for accommodation so that you can share and keep costs down.

Fedge
20-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Can not help noticing that if we hold Victorian young masters - the field will be stronger than for Australian Young masters :). Morris, Izzat, Wallis, Dale, Zelesco, Puccini...:).

What a fantastic idea Michael, perhaps you could organise a Victorian young masters next year.

Alexander H
20-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Okay Thanks

Fedge
09-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Former Lidums Australian Young Masters Champion (2011) Yi Liu from Queensland has entered the tournament.

We will announce the final player for the tournament shortly, but are welcoming entries for the Lidums Australian Junior Masters Open and the u/1600 event which will be run as an Open Swiss tournament this year.

pax
10-11-2014, 11:35 AM

Has Izzat moved to Australia permanently? Clearly a great talent!

MichaelBaron
11-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Has Izzat moved to Australia permanently? Clearly a great talent!

He is on student visa studying in La Trobe Uni. As his talents are not limited to chess - he is also recieving some kind of study related scholarship and is studying very hard! Very talented young man with great future who will definitely make something out of his life - wont just ''push wood'' his entire life for $15,000 a year :).

I believe his degree has 2 more years to go till it is completed so he is in Australia to stay at least for a couple of years to come.

Fedge
08-12-2014, 09:11 AM
The 2014 Lidums Australian Young Masters will start shortly. Round 1 sees the showdown between the top seeds as IM Kanan Izzat takes on IM James Morris.

You can follow the games live, starting soon, at http://lidumsaym.com/live-games/

bill jiang
08-12-2014, 09:28 AM
has the live games started?didnt see anything

Hughston
08-12-2014, 11:28 AM
When I click to watch the live games a blank page comes up. Is this because I am on an iPad?

ER
08-12-2014, 11:54 AM
When I click to watch the live games a blank page comes up. Is this because I am on an iPad?
Takes some time to load.
If it doesn't click refresh/reload!

flushfyre
08-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Exciting 10-move game to start off the tournament!

bill jiang
08-12-2014, 01:05 PM
where to find the parings & results

Hughston
08-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Takes some time to load.
If it doesn't click refresh/reload!

Thanks

Kevin Bonham
08-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Exciting 10-move game to start off the tournament!

Izzat - Morris

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Bxc6 dxc6 5.0-0 Bg4 6.h3 h5 7.c3 Qd3 8.hxg4 hxg4 9.Nxe5 Bd6 10.Nxd3 Bh2

Chessbase suggests that this thrilling contribution to opening theory has been braved a mere 260 times previously (+0=260-0) and that agreeing the draw right away is a bold option followed by only 38 previous hardy souls with the rest opting stoically for Kh1. At this point there appears a critical decision point for black who must choose between the spectacular...Bg3+, the seemingly suicidal ...Bf4+, the even riskier...Be5+ and the stodgy and peaceable...Bd6+ Over 14 years of opening experience shows that white has been sadly unable to prove an advantage against any of these despite his small material edge and thus the debate rages on.

Rincewind
08-12-2014, 01:34 PM
The last move is Bh2 not Bxh2

MichaelBaron
08-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Izzat - Morris

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Bxc6 dxc6 5.0-0 Bg4 6.h3 h5 7.c3 Qd3 8.hxg4 hxg4 9.Nxe5 Bd6 10.Nxd3 Bh2

Chessbase suggests that this thrilling contribution to opening theory has been braved a mere 260 times previously (+0=260-0) and that agreeing the draw right away is a bold option followed by only 38 previous hardy souls with the rest opting stoically for Kh1. At this point there appears a critical decision point for black who must choose between the spectacular...Bg3+, the seemingly suicidal ...Bf4+, the even riskier...Be5+ and the stodgy and peaceable...Bd6+ Over 14 years of opening experience shows that white has been sadly unable to prove an advantage against any of these despite his small material edge and thus the debate rages on.

Wait and see what draw they will invent for the 2nd game :wall:

Hughston
08-12-2014, 07:02 PM
How can I see the results of the Open and the Under 1600 Tournament. It is not in the results section on the website.

Hughston
09-12-2014, 12:03 AM
No it's fine they have uploaded it.

Garvinator
09-12-2014, 09:21 AM
Izzat - Morris

I want the chicken factor applied to this game.

Kevin Bonham
09-12-2014, 09:42 AM
The Chicken Factor is outlined in this old article by Mig Greengard here: http://www.chessninja.com/migonchess/migonchess116.htm

1. Piece value Izzat 35 Morris 23
2. Colour Izzat +10 Morris -10
3. N/A
4. Ratings Izzat +4 Morris -4
5. N/A

6. N/A
7. The triple repetition in the final position is indeed unavoidable Izzat -10 Morris -10
8. Fail to exceed known databases Izzat +10 Morris +10
9. Draw in 0-10 moves Izzat +45 Morris +45
10. N/A

Total Izzat +94 Morris +54

OFFICIAL CHICKEN FACTOR SCORECHART

> Chicken Factor -50 or less: Fearless Falcon
> Chicken Factor -49 - -25: Heroic Hawk
> Chicken Factor -24 - -1: Plucky Peregrine
> Chicken Factor 0 - 15: Timid Turkey
> Chicken Factor 16 - 30: Faint-hearted Finch
> Chicken Factor 31 - 45: Spineless Sparrow
> Chicken Factor 46 - 60: Cowardly Cuckoo
>Chicken Factor 61 or more: Chicken Supreme
(a.k.a. King of the Barnyard, Colonel Sanders,
Foghorn Leghorn, El Pollo Loco, Cock-a-doodle-doo, etc.)

James Peirce
09-12-2014, 10:03 AM
To quote Petrosian in Think Like A Grandmaster " A noticeable tendency in modern chess is the predominance of the sporting element over the creative. The fact that nowadays the result is more important than the content is our misfortune, a misfortune which the indiscriminating public applauds. I cannot think that a player genuinely loving the game can get pleasure just from the number of point scored no matter how impressive the total. Chess is going through a difficult period. On the one hand it has reached a high level, on the other is has given rise to a cold pragmatism.
Quoting Petrosian again "The criterion of real strength is a deep penetration into the secrets of a position."

Ian Rout
09-12-2014, 10:35 AM
To quote Petrosian in Think Like A Grandmaster " A noticeable tendency in modern chess is the predominance of the sporting element over the creative. The fact that nowadays the result is more important than the content is our misfortune, a misfortune which the indiscriminating public applauds. I cannot think that a player genuinely loving the game can get pleasure just from the number of point scored no matter how impressive the total. Chess is going through a difficult period. On the one hand it has reached a high level, on the other is has given rise to a cold pragmatism.
Quoting Petrosian again "The criterion of real strength is a deep penetration into the secrets of a position."You must mean Kotov. I'm sure Petrosian wouldn't have said that.

James Peirce
09-12-2014, 10:58 AM
No it was actually Petrosian quoted by Kotov and as Kotov said "I admit that i choose him particulary because this calm and solid player cannot possibly be regarded as a player of the sharply-combinative, Tal-like sort.
This comes from 1979 by the way

ER
11-12-2014, 02:26 PM
Congratulations Kanan for another formidable performance resulting in a remarkable victory versus a very strong field.
Nice to see youngsters undertaking such organisational responsibilities!
Looks like the Lidums tradition is continuing strongly thanks to Fedge and the other inspired youngsters who answered the call!

MichaelBaron
11-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Congratulations Kanan for another formidable performance resulting in a remarkable victory versus a very strong field.
Nice to see youngsters undertaking such organisational responsibilities!
Looks like the Lidums tradition is continuing strongly thanks to Fedge and the other inspired youngsters who answered the call!

Where to see final crosstable?
so far all i know is a) Kanan won (congratulations from me and Adamski) and b) James is giving up chess in favour of poker and dodgeball (or well...at least according to facebook)

William AS
11-12-2014, 04:56 PM

Lidums Young Masters 2014 Winner IM Kanan Izzat

Picture William Anderson-Smith

ER
12-12-2014, 12:49 AM
Where to see final crosstable?

Hi Michael, all the info I got is from here
http://lidumsaym.com/ as provided by Fedge in an earlier post!

MichaelBaron
12-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Hi Michael, all the info I got is from here
http://lidumsaym.com/ as provided by Fedge in an earlier post!

Thank you, Elliot
I noticed that Kanan plays literally all openings. I have seen him play both e4 and 4 as white. As black he played QGA, Slave, King's Indian etc against me in allegros...and against Cameron he played Benko gambit.

Fedge
12-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Final standings and cross tables are now up on the website.

Thank you to everyone who made the tournament a success, and congratulations to Kanan Izzat, Harry Hughes and Henry Slater-Jones who won their groups.

gbekker
15-12-2014, 03:26 AM
Here is my YouTube video summary of the event:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGtyzB7FW7o

Paul Cavezza
15-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Here is my YouTube video summary of the event:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGtyzB7FW7o

Gary Bekker the new Bruce Macavaney. Great interview and analysis- question is, will you cover the return of fight club ;)

that Caesar guy
15-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Very awesome Gary! Definitely got a presentable voice. You should make more from different tournaments! I wasn't losing against Yi though ;)

Lekko
15-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Gary Bekker the new Bruce Macavaney. Great interview and analysis- question is, will you cover the return of fight club ;)

Delicious!