PDA

View Full Version : FIDE postpones Womens WC knockout

Kevin Bonham
24-09-2014, 04:56 PM
I don't consider this thing a legitimate Women's World Championships format anyway, but for those interested:

FIDE announces that the Women's World Championship 2014, originally scheduled for this October, will be postponed for a few months. Exact dates will be announced soon when FIDE finalizes all organising details with potential sponsors interested to hold this event.

MichaelBaron
24-09-2014, 05:30 PM
I don't consider this thing a legitimate Women's World Championships format anyway, but for those interested:

And they are so pushy for Carlsen to sign the contract to play world championship match at the venue he never selected by a tight deadline - typical double standard!

Garvinator
24-09-2014, 06:09 PM
And they are so pushy for Carlsen to sign the contract to play world championship match at the venue he never selected by a tight deadline - typical double standard!
Just for the analogy, Susan Polgar (yes another Polgar ;) ) has made a similar point as well. When the open world championship was played under the knockout system, almost everyone jumped up and down saying it was not a fair system to decide a world champion.

Susan's regular point is, where are all the protests for why if it is not acceptable for the open championship, why is it acceptable for the womens world championship? Surely the same, or very similar, qualifying criteria should be used for both cycles?

It is a very difficult point to argue against, isn't it?

Kevin Bonham
22-01-2015, 08:54 PM
16 March - 7 April in Sochi.

Agent Smith
28-01-2015, 02:18 PM
Sounds like a laugh.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/2015-women-s-world-championship-is-announced

MichaelBaron
28-01-2015, 04:26 PM
Could be worse - the alternative venue considered was in Chechnia

Garvinator
28-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Could be worse - the alternative venue considered was in Chechnia
The open version in 2004 was held in Libya :P

AzureBlue
28-01-2015, 08:04 PM
...Chechnia
Are you trying to say Che...'China'? :lol:

MichaelBaron
28-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Are you trying to say Che...'China'? :lol:

I wish...Chechen republic is in Russia...and its not the safest region to be in...