Alan Shore
17-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Delightful story by Isaac Asimov pertinent to this thread:

http://www.maddad.org/asimov01.htm

JGB
18-11-2004, 10:03 PM
Delightful story by Isaac Asimov pertinent to this thread:

http://www.maddad.org/asimov01.htm

A real classic! :) I had never read Asimov in my life and I thank you Bruce. I will be looking into buying a few of his books now.

Alan Shore
18-11-2004, 10:13 PM
A real classic! :) I had never read Asimov in my life and I thank you Bruce. I will be looking into buying a few of his books now.

Asimov is one of my favourite authors, I've read many books and around a hundred of his short stories. I can recommend 'I, Robot' for a nice collection of short stories (more enjoyable than the film, although I was surprised that the film was better than I had anticipated). 'Bicentennial Man' and 'Nightfall' are among my favourite short stories, or if you have the time for novels, the 'Foundation' saga.

Rincewind
18-11-2004, 10:14 PM

I can recommend a collection of robot short stories published in the one volume. I can't put my hands on it at the moment but from memory it is called The Complete Robot.

Rhubarb
18-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Asimov is one of my favourite authors, I've read many books and around a hundred of his short stories. I can recommend 'I, Robot' for a nice collection of short stories (more enjoyable than the film, although I was surprised that the film was better than I had anticipated). 'Bicentennial Man' and 'Nightfall' are among my favourite short stories, or if you have the time for novels, the 'Foundation' saga.
I've read parts of the Foundation saga and one day I'd like to read the whole lot in (chronological) order. Interesting you mention Nightfall, BD. It was one of the first pieces he got published when he was very young. It's powerful and original, but thirty years afterwards, he was incensed that know-nothing critics proclaimed it his greatest ever work, as if he hadn't done anything better since.

JGB
18-11-2004, 11:47 PM
All sounds pretty interesting, could probably dedicate a thread to Asimov here?
Moderators?

Alan Shore
19-11-2004, 12:22 AM
Moderators?

It's quite obvious they're a useless bunch ;)

But yeah, not a bad idea.

Rincewind
19-11-2004, 06:56 AM
All sounds pretty interesting, could probably dedicate a thread to Asimov here?
Moderators?

Why ask us? If you want to start a thread in the Non-Chess forum, go for it.

JGB
19-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Why ask us? If you want to start a thread in the Non-Chess forum, go for it.

Yeah but I do not have the ability to cut and paste the relevant posts from here which would be useful to the new 'Asimov' thread..

Rincewind
19-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Yeah but I do not have the ability to cut and paste the relevant posts from here which would be useful to the new 'Asimov' thread..

Perhaps if BD had been more mindful when he first posted the link. Anyway, here is your new thread. Enjoy.

Rincewind
19-11-2004, 05:40 PM
BTW I have found The Complete Robot. If you're interested it's ISBN 0-586-05724-2.

JGB
19-11-2004, 05:42 PM
Anyone else who happens to stumble across a short story from Asimov on the internet, I would be delighted if you could please post it here. :)

The guy was a machine, have you all seen the quantity of material that guy published in his lifetime!

JGB
19-11-2004, 06:03 PM
BTW I have found The Complete Robot. If you're interested it's ISBN 0-586-05724-2.

Just ordered it from ABE books England, should be in around tuesday. Thanks mate, ;)
Got to love the internet. :clap:

Rincewind
19-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Just ordered it from ABE books England, should be in around tuesday. Thanks mate, ;)
Got to love the internet. :clap:

Wow. Hope you like it. I did and I've loaned it to a few people over the years too.

This might be getting off topic but what do people think of the writing of Arthur C Clarke? I've got a few more of his books including a collection of stories/novels which contains one called "A Fall of Moondust". I really like this story. Anyone else come across this one?

I like it, thread drift already. ;)

JGB
19-11-2004, 06:25 PM
Wow. Hope you like it. I did and I've loaned it to a few people over the years too.

This might be getting off topic but what do people think of the writing of Arthur C Clarke? I've got a few more of his books including a collection of stories/novels which contains one called "A Fall of Moondust". I really like this story. Anyone else come across this one?

I like it, thread drift already. ;)

Sorry, i am just entering the sci-fi picture with Asimov, and thread drift is just a normal part thread evolution . ;)

Rhubarb
20-11-2004, 10:18 AM
This was the first Clarke story I ever read and I was instantly hooked. I've probably read about 15-20 Clarke novels. My favourites would be Rendezvous with Rama, which has a lot of excellent science in it pertaining to the Coriolis Effect, and The Songs of Distant Earth, which is his most soulful and evocative.

It was only much later than I began to realise Clarke wasn't that great a writer, and his fame justifiably rested on the depth and scientific accuracy of his ideas. I thought 2001 was a little over-rated, although it was of course far better than the anitclimactic sequels 2010, 2061 and 3001.

I liked his collaborations with Gentry Lee (chief engineer for all sorts of famous NASA projects) which include Cradle and the three Rama sequels. They have greater characterisation and a more sophisticated tone, and I assume this is largely because Lee was doing the writing.

All in all, I'd say Asimov is better (late attempt to undrift the thread :) ).

Spiny Norman
21-11-2004, 05:34 AM
Anyone read "Asimov on Chemistry"? I read it once many years ago and really enjoyed it. One section was on the peculiar properties of water and how this was crucial in the development of life on Earth. I suppose I might try Amazon, but was hoping to find it in a local library here in Melbourne...

JGB
24-11-2004, 01:39 AM
Just got home from work and 'The Robot' is already here! See how it goes, judging by the thickness this could seriously put a dent in my own book writing over the next week though.

Alan Shore
09-12-2004, 12:57 AM
Just got home from work and 'The Robot' is already here! See how it goes, judging by the thickness this could seriously put a dent in my own book writing over the next week though.

Making some progress in reading yet? Tell us what you think when you've finished.

BTW, JGB, you can find the entire text of I, Robot online!

http://www.uberwald.com/attach/I-Robot.txt

I'd still recommend reading it in book version but at least you have access.

JGB
09-12-2004, 01:08 AM
Making some progress in reading yet? Tell us what you think when you've finished.

BTW, JGB, you can find the entire text of I, Robot online!

http://www.uberwald.com/attach/I-Robot.txt

I'd still recommend reading it in book version but at least you have access.

Almost through it. Its a great read, really. Bruce, thanks for the link, and Ill probably read 'I Robot' on the flight home next month.
But been so busy lately, writing job applications, finishing up work here, packing etc. Have almost put my book on hold for a while. :(

By the way the short story published on this thread that got me interested, is still favourite.