PDA

View Full Version : Signup Problems: Registration Approval Issues (Esp. Yahoo and Outlook Users)

Kevin Bonham
13-08-2014, 11:27 PM
This is a new version of this site notice as the old one was out of date.

Most members will find that after they sign up their account it isn't active immediately.

The reason for this is that we want to keep this forum clean of spam and also deter banned members from signing up new accounts.

Therefore all new accounts go through a two-stage approval process. Firstly they are screened automatically (to block known spammers) and then they are checked manually.

Often manual checking takes several hours to happen. Sometimes it takes a few days or longer. This is especially the case if the user's account name, email or IP address appear to be spam-like. Common emails like hotmail, gmail and yahoo (NB yahoo is currently blocked) are especially likely to take longer to check. Also note that if you sign up from a disposable address or using a proxy server, your account may well be deleted. Delays are likely when site staff are away.

If you are a genuine user and want to let us know your registration is awaiting checking, email k_bonham@tassie.net.au and I will deal with it when next online.

Sometimes we will email users to check if their registration is genuine. If we do this, you need to reply. New users who are emailed and do not reply within a week may be banned until we hear back from them, or may have their accounts deleted and need to sign up from scratch.

Kevin Bonham
admin/mod, Chesschat.

Kevin Bonham
03-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Email Address Banning Messages

Another signup problem that is sometimes encountered is that an otherwise legitimate email address is blocked. In this case the person trying to sign up will get a message that the administrator has banned your email address. The message is rather provocative but ignore it; it generally means that the domain being signed up from was blocked.

Before introducing manual screening and also image recognition testing, we used to get massive levels of spammer signup and used to control it by blocking email addresses commonly used by spammers and rarely used by genuine posters. As this list included many disposable or otherwise troublesome email addresses we have kept it. However from time to time a genuine user will find their address is blocked.

If this happens email k_bonham@tassie.net.au and I will probably unblock the domain - alternatively in some cases I will recommend signing up via a different address.

Note that gmail.com and hotmail.com were blocked at one stage, but no longer are.

Kevin Bonham
17-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Note that outlook.com is now blocked. If you want to sign up using outlook.com you will need to email me first.

Kevin Bonham
23-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Note that yahoo.com (including other addresses of the form yahoo.com.xx) is now blocked due to high-volume spam attack attempts. If you want to sign up using Yahoo you will have to email me first.

This may be a temporary measure.

Kevin Bonham
28-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Trialling removing the block on yahoo.com . Will delete or edit this post if the block is restored.

Registration approvals may be unusually slow over the next 2 weeks.

Kevin Bonham
30-08-2016, 10:03 PM
We are getting a high level of spam signup attempts from Vietnam and will tend to delete accounts from that country if we are not sure they are genuine. If you are signing up from Vietnam and your account gets deleted please send me an email at k_bonham@tassie.net.au

Note that screening of signups may be slow for the next 3 weeks.