PDA

View Full Version : Australia takes its eye off the ball?

Brian_Jones
28-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Kevin Bonham recently stated that "We've received an invite to something called the Asian Club Champions League to be held in Al Ain, UAE from 20-29 June. The invitation just arrived and they want Federations to confirm participation by 31 May, which is a complete joke given that federations have endorsement processes to go through for these things."

This event has free accommodation and Kevin's attitude begs many questions.

1. Why did Australian not plan for this event in advance - it was foreshadowed in Tallin last year and is on the current FIDE calendar?

2. Why does Australia not have a standing team of professional or semi-professional players ready to take advantage of these opportunities?

Australia needs a B team comprising players who fail to be selected for the Olympiad teams.

Kevin Bonham
28-05-2014, 05:05 PM
This event has free accommodation and Kevin's attitude begs many questions.

Please don't use the concept of begging the question unless you actually know what it means. I assume you mean "prompts many questions".

Now, I was not in Tallinn but Gary Wastell filled in for me. Had he there seen the regulations for this event (http://www.asianchess.com/news/view/asian-news/asian-club-cup-champions-league) he would have seen that the regulations require the organisers to send invitations four months in advance. He would have therefore assumed there was no need to do anything in advance since the invitation would be emailed with all details shored up and heaps of time to organise a team. Even in the absence of seeing the regulations, this is a reasonable expectation when dealing with a new format.

Instead, it appears that the invitation was received by us just one month and six days prior to the start of the event. And there have been numerous such cases in recent years, frequently involving minor Asian events. It's not our responsibility to go around chasing up sketchy details of events that are listed in calendars but may or may not be held on certain dates with certain rules and certain requirements; organisers need to send proper details to federations well in advance.

2. Why does Australia not have a standing team of professional or semi-professional players ready to take advantage of these opportunities?

That would not be consistent with the concept for this event as outlined in the official invitation; players are supposed to be representatives of a club not a nation (and ditto for many other such events). And even if we had an Olympiad B team the idea that players in it would be ready to go and compete in every available event at short notice is not practical.

Now, here is the reference to the event in the Asian Chess Federation minutes from Tallinn:

ACF Secretary General Hisham Al Taher proposed new format - seven Zone club champions in addition to the host club to meet in a single round robin among eight teams. The 2014 Asian Club Champions League second edition shall be organized 17-25 April 2014 in Al Ain, UAE. Zones
are urged to conduct selection tournaments or base by rating of FIDE country rank.

Aside from the dates being very different to those eventually scheduled, and the paucity of data at that stage, note "Zones are urged [..]" I have no record of our Zone contacting us with any attempt to organise a qualifier or to inform us we would be automatically selected by FIDE country rank.

Perhaps this thread should be retitled "Zone President takes his eye off the ball then says others should have been watching it?"

Brian_Jones
28-05-2014, 05:45 PM
That would not be consistent with the concept for this event as outlined in the official invitation; players are supposed to be representatives of a club not a nation (and ditto for many other such events).

As in the Europe Club events, the teams can "borrow" players from other clubs. See http://www.chess-results.com/tnr18285.aspx?lan=1&art=1&wi=821

Kevin Bonham
28-05-2014, 08:23 PM
As in the Europe Club events, the teams can "borrow" players from other clubs. See http://www.chess-results.com/tnr18285.aspx?lan=1&art=1&wi=821

All there is about that in the rules is:

2.4 The tournament is open to foreign players as well who are members of the club.

And even if countries can just send their Olympiad B squad or whatever, then why is it called a club tournament? Ditto for the cities tournament not long ago; what is the point of having a "cities teams" championship that is not really about cities but actually just another Olympiad?

Brian_Jones
29-05-2014, 08:15 AM
If countries can just send their Olympiad B squad or whatever, then why is it called a club tournament? Ditto for the cities tournament not long ago; what is the point of having a "cities teams" championship that is not really about cities but actually just another Olympiad?

Dear Brian

Greeting

The Tournament amendment was done in Tallinn with new structure 1 team from each zone + the host city total 8 teams round robin and dates are fixed in FIDE calender for 3 months under Asian events

Travel expenses for the Australian team Is going to be arranged by the organizer in addition to the full board expenses in 5 star hotel and transportation free of any fee in addition to guaranteed prizes

I think its a good chance to play against team from India china as training camp for the Olympiad

As ACF we care about the maximum benefits of all chess federations in ASIA therefore we have organized Asian seniors and amateurs 2012 in Sydney with 100% support we don't care about politics elections vote calculations etc .

As long as we are existing we are ready to cooperate and help if people are not satisfied with us we respect them and wish them all the best but such condition i believe it is a good chance and its hard to find anywhere else . all the best

regards
Hisham

Kevin Bonham
29-05-2014, 11:27 AM
This is one case where I need to make it extremely clear that my comments are not officially on behalf of the Australian Chess Federation (as is standard practice on this board unless mentioned otherwise) and are my opinions only.

Firstly to my knowledge the Australian CF has received no previous offer of travel expenses connected to this event. While such offers are welcome they should be emailed to our federation through official channels rather than posted second-hand on a bulletin board.

Secondly with, at last we heard, the organisers requiring confirmation of participation in two days there is very probably still not nearly enough time to organise and confirm a team (at this stage we have had no expressions of interest in playing). Because the Australian CF has a formalised selections system there is a need for full details of all rules and entitlements for events to be sent directly to us a minimum of two months (ideally much longer) in advance. If organisers cannot send details in a timely fashion then they should not expect us to be able to confirm participation at short notice. This is a persistent problem with Asian CF events at present.

Thirdly the above seems to confirm my view that the tournament concept is not clear, as to whether it is really a club tournament or a national teams tournament. Tournament concepts should be clear so that we know well in advance who is allowed to compete.

Brian_Jones
29-05-2014, 12:54 PM
This morning I sent the ACF a formal notice of my intention to organise a team for the 2014 Asian Club Champions League in Al Ain next month.

The team will probably be named “Western Sydney Wanderers” after the well-known soccer team of the same name.

It will be based on a few members of Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club and I will send details to the ACF early next week for approval.

PS I would have attached the invite but this BB has a limit on the size and storage space of attachments and do not know how to delete old uploaded files!

Kevin Bonham
29-05-2014, 02:26 PM
It will be based on a few members of Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club and I will send details to the ACF early next week for approval.

You might have to arrange a slight extension to the date for confirmation of participation with the organisers.

Capablanca-Fan
29-05-2014, 02:41 PM
Please don't use the concept of begging the question unless you actually know what it means. I assume you mean "prompts many questions".
You beat me to it; this is a pet peeve of mine.

Brian_Jones
01-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Australian team announced - see http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?15367-Asian-Club-Teams-Champions-League-2014&p=378196#post378196

This thread can now be closed.