PDA

View Full Version : Olympiad selection speculation

Desmond
07-04-2014, 06:47 PM
3. The date on or by which all such applications must be received
Applications for selections will close on 8 April 2014.
Have the applicants to date been published?

Kevin Bonham
07-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Have the applicants to date been published?

No.

pax
22-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Since this thread is traditional, I thought I'd better get it started. The absence of Zong-Yuan, Bobby and Darryl throws the men's field wide open. The applicants in order of current FIDE rating are:

Open
David Smerdon, Max Illingworth, Moulthun Ly, John-Paul Wallace, Stephen Solomon, Anton Smirnov, Junta Ikeda, Rishi Sardana, Ari Dale.

John-Paul Wallace looks like he could struggle to meet the activity criterion unless he has a lot of FIDE unrated European domestic games, with only 13 FIDE rated games between March 13 and April 14. That to my mind would leave Smerdon, Illingworth, Ly and Solo as near certain selections and a tough choice between four outstanding young players for the last spot. I wonder whether the likes of James Morris and Justin Tan regret not applying?

Women's
Irina Berezina, Arianne Caoili, Giang Nguyen, Biljana Dekic, Emma Guo, Sally Yu, Katherine Jarek, Vin Wijesuriya, Narelle Szuveges, Sarah Anton.

A few of these players seem to be a bit light on FIDE rated games, and it's impossible to track ACF rated games without access to historical master files so I won't make a prediction except to say that Caoili and Guo seem certain selections.

Vlad
22-04-2014, 04:10 PM
John-Paul Wallace looks like he could struggle to meet the activity criterion unless he has a lot of FIDE unrated European domestic games, with only 13 FIDE rated games between March 13 and April 14.

He has just finished a strong open in UK with a 2400+. That gives him 22 games. He also has some non-Fide rated games. So he clearly satisfied the 30 game criterion.

That to my mind would leave Smerdon, Illingworth, Ly and Solo as near certain selections and a tough choice between four outstanding young players for the last spot.

That would leave Smerdon, Illingworth and Ly being certain to be selected and everybody else fighting for the two remaining spots.

P.S. On a personal note, if Anton does not get selected, it will make my life so much easier.:)

pax
22-04-2014, 04:40 PM
He has just finished a strong open in UK with a 2400+. That gives him 22 games. He also has some non-Fide rated games. So he clearly satisfied the 30 game criterion.

Ah, thanks for the note. Which tournament was this - do you have a link?

That would leave Smerdon, Illingworth and Ly being certain to be selected and everybody else fighting for the two remaining spots.

Yes. JPW in particular will be hard to judge against the others, with his relatively light activity over the last five years and in a different pool of players.

P.S. On a personal note, if Anton does not get selected, it will make my life so much easier.:)

Ha, I'm sure! Something tells me his selection will be a whole lot less uncertain for pretty much the foreseeable future.

Vlad
22-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Fagernes GM Open.

Adamski
22-04-2014, 05:33 PM
"Ladies longshot" for a reserve place - Anton!

Kevin Bonham
22-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Poll Added

A poll is also traditional so I've added one for the Open team. I'll do one for the Women's team as well soon.

Adamski
23-04-2014, 12:50 AM
As per the women's team, I see no reason not to go for the first 5 named. My longshot of Anton will make the next Olympiad team, not this one.

Time for bed if I am going to get up early to watch Chelsea!

pax
23-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Fagernes GM Open.

Thanks. http://turneringsservice.sjakklubb.no/standings.aspx?TID=FagernesChessInternational2014-AkademiskSjakklubb

A pretty decent result for JPW.

Desmond
23-04-2014, 07:21 PM
I wonder whether the likes of James Morris and Justin Tan regret not applying?
And Wohl, McClymont. You could put together a very strong all QUEENSLANDER team: Smerdon, Ly, Wohl, Solomon, McClymont.

Kevin Bonham
23-04-2014, 10:31 PM
It is a shame that a number of people who would have been contenders (if not certainties) for selection didn't apply for the Open team, in contrast to the Women's team where pretty much everyone applied. I assume school commitments are keeping out some of the super-strong juniors.

My unofficial understanding is everyone is OK for 30 games (a scrape in a few cases as usual), but that could be wrong. Tom will scrutinise them all very thoroughly to make sure they have made the cut.

pax
25-04-2014, 11:22 AM
The projected May FIDE ratings show Junta Ikeda leaping up to 2375, overtaking Anton Smirnov and going almost level with Solomon. With his early form in the SIO, he must be now very close to the magic 2400.

Vlad
25-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Yes, if Junta wins the current game against Chowdhury, he will cross 2400 and become an IM. His position at the moment looks very promising.

pax
25-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Yes, if Junta wins the current game against Chowdhury, he will cross 2400 and become an IM. His position at the moment looks very promising.

It was looking great until he missed 44 Nb5. Now, not so sure.

Adamski
25-04-2014, 03:00 PM
It was looking great until he missed 44 Nb5. Now, not so sure.Yes. Junta drew with Chowdhury but he should have won.

pax
25-04-2014, 07:20 PM
Yes. Junta drew with Chowdhury but he should have won.

However a win over James Morris in Round 6 would seem to seal the matter. Congratulations IM-elect Junta!

Kevin Bonham
25-04-2014, 08:00 PM
Fantastic news!

Desmond
25-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Yes well done. Moulthun Ly is on fire as well!

Vlad
25-04-2014, 09:43 PM
I had a chat with Junta. Unfortunately he lost 8 points in another ACT competition which has not been uploaded by Bill. That means Junta still needs 7-8 points.

pax
25-04-2014, 10:08 PM
I had a chat with Junta. Unfortunately he lost 8 points in another ACT competition which has not been uploaded by Bill. That means Junta still needs 7-8 points.

Oh yes, I forgot about the ACT Championships where he had a shock loss to a 1775 in the last round when leading by a point. Good luck to him: it's surely just a matter of time!

lost
25-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Oh yes, I forgot about the ACT Championships where he had a shock loss to a 1775 in the last round when leading by a point. Good luck to him: it's surely just a matter of time!

If I am not mistaken, because the tournament still has not yet been rated, he can get a certificate from the Chief Arbiter stating that his live rating during the event has gone past 2400. You can see this at the following link http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=163&view=article and scroll down to article 1.53a.

lost

Bill Gletsos
25-04-2014, 11:45 PM
If I am not mistaken, because the tournament still has not yet been rated, he can get a certificate from the Chief Arbiter stating that his live rating during the event has gone past 2400. You can see this at the following link http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=163&view=article and scroll down to article 1.53a.

lostYou are mistaken.

His live rating for today must include all games played but not yet rated. As such the completed ACT tournament counts ahead of the current SIO.

Kevin Bonham
25-04-2014, 11:45 PM

That only helps if his live rating actually has gone past 2400 and not if it actually hasn't, as the rest of the paragraph explains:

Title applications based on unpublished ratings shall only be accepted by FIDE after agreement with the Rating Administrator and the QC. Ratings in the middle of a period can be confirmed only after all tournaments for that period have been received and rated by FIDE.

At the end of the ratings period all the events submitted for that event are processed in the order they were played.

lost
26-04-2014, 01:07 AM
No problem's at all Bill. Thanks for the clarification on this and also to Kevin as well.

lost

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
26-04-2014, 04:40 AM
I didnt realise ikeda was close to the 2400 mark. I may have voted for junta instead of young smirnov even though anton is clealry on an impressive upward trajectory looking at his fide graphs.

:DGlad im not doing the selecting.

Rincewind
26-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Attached is the ACF rating graphs for the applicants
The first graph is David Smerdon, Max Illingworth, Moulthun Ly, John-Paul Wallace, Stephen Solomon.
The second graph is Anton Smirnov, Junta Ikeda, Rishi Sardana, Ari Dale.

Note Sardana hasn't been ACF rated for long. Wallace, Sardana and Smerdon has a relatively low ACF rated activity compared to the cohort.

Adamski
26-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Thanks, Barry. Makes Junta's case stronger I think. He is now on 5.5/7 in SIO after short draw with Moulthun.

Vlad
26-04-2014, 09:03 PM

After 9 rounds of Doeberl and 8 rounds of SIO, it is clear that the first 4 boards in order are David, Molton, Max and Junta, with an average age of about 24-25.

Well, there is one more spot left for everybody else who applied.:)

pax
26-04-2014, 10:08 PM
After 9 rounds of Doeberl and 8 rounds of SIO, it is clear that the first 4 boards in order are David, Molton, Max and Junta, with an average age of about 24-25.

Yes, I think this is clear now. I made an error by leaving Junta out of my Olympiad selection in the poll, perhaps influenced by the low rating which was not yet adjusted for his IM norm performance at Doeberl.

Three of those four competed in the u16 Olympiad in 2007 (incidentally: it seems a shame that Raymond Song and Zhigen Lin both apparently quit chess not long after this event).

pax
26-04-2014, 10:42 PM
The second graph is Anton Smirnov, Junta Ikeda, Rishi Sardana, Ari Dale.

Gee Ari's trajectory is quite remarkable.

Rincewind
27-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Gee Ari's trajectory is quite remarkable.

I would say the difference between Ari and Anton is Ari made up a lot of ground in 2009/10 but since 2011 their rating progress has been remarkably similar. None of the applicants on the second graph have shown big swings in last couple of rating periods but this could be due to playing more overseas tournaments.

pax
29-04-2014, 10:40 PM
There's no doubt that Ikeda's stunning SIO is a game changer for selections. He is projected to shoot up from 19th to 7th on the Australian active FIDE list.

Desmond
30-04-2014, 07:26 AM
There's no doubt that Ikeda's stunning SIO is a game changer for selections. He is projected to shoot up from 19th to 7th on the Australian active FIDE list.Yes if I were voting now instead of a week or so ago I think I'd find space for Ikeda in my team for sure.

Vlad
30-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Below are May 2014 ratings (change since May 2013, change since May 2012)

David Smerdon 2513 (+9, +1)
Max Illingworth 2442(+20, +108)
Molton Ly 2466 (+38, +80)
JP Wallace 2408 (+14, +10)
Stephen Solomon 2378 (-9, -8)
Anton Smirnov 2354 (+160, +234)
Junta Ikeda 2402 (+35, +93)
Rishi Sardana 2316 (+48, +250)
Ari Dale 2318 (+96, +249)

Compare with the under 16 Olympiad vote about two years ago - http://www.chesschat.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=530

pax
09-05-2014, 10:17 PM
When is the team announced?

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2014, 01:20 PM
When is the team announced?

This is scheduled to happen by 26 May as noted in the selection schedule at the bottom of #1. There is a change of procedure this year; the selection results are not officially made public until all appeals have been resolved.

pax
10-05-2014, 02:53 PM
This is scheduled to happen by 26 May as noted in the selection schedule at the bottom of #1. There is a change of procedure this year; the selection results are not officially made public until all appeals have been resolved.
It's rather a shame that the process is so closed IMO.

Edit: Will the team be announced sooner if there are no appeals?

Kevin Bonham
11-05-2014, 02:17 AM
It's rather a shame that the process is so closed IMO.

Edit: Will the team be announced sooner if there are no appeals?

I'd expect so, that said that seems to be a rather large "if" these days.

Brian_Jones
12-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Ian Rogers announced the Olympiad teams in the Sun Herald yesterday.

Kevin Bonham
12-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Ian Rogers announced the Olympiad teams in the Sun Herald yesterday.

Hopefully whoever passed them on to him had them correct. In any case they would have been the provisional selections only as the appeal window has not closed (it closes tonight.)

(I did predict the policy would result in the selections being "leaked".)

ER
12-05-2014, 07:21 PM

Rogersgate??? :rolleyes::lol:

Desmond
12-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Ian Rogers announced the Olympiad teams in the Sun Herald yesterday.and they are...?

Kerry Stead
12-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Hopefully whoever passed them on to him had them correct. In any case they would have been the provisional selections only as the appeal window has not closed (it closes tonight.)

Yes, they were the 'correct' provisional selections ... but that is before any appeals are heard, so the team as stated by Rogers may not in fact be the final team.

Ian_Rogers
12-05-2014, 08:25 PM
This is all a bit weird. I obtained the teams a week ago from a number of sources, none of whom indicated that the results were embargoed (or provisional).

Australian 2014 Olympic Team
Open
1.Smerdon(ACT)
2.Ly(Q)
3.Illingworth(N)
4.Ikeda(ACT)
5.Smirnov(N)

Women
1.Caoili(ACT)
2.Berezina(N)
3.Nguyen(SA)
4.Guo(ACT)
5.Dekic(N)

Bill Gletsos
12-05-2014, 09:44 PM
My understanding is that the Selections Director only advised the applicants (and ACF President & Secretary) of the rankings subject to any appeals. He also mentioned to them that he would confirm the selections or advise when they would be finalised in the event of any appeal at the conclusion of the appeal period in 7 days (i.e. tonight 12th May).

It would appear that whoever passed them on failed to mention the provisional nature of the selections.

Sunrise
12-05-2014, 10:43 PM
I just want to wish the best of luck to everyone participating. Remember that it is important to eat properly and drink fluids during practice, training and competition time.

Best regards to everyone.

ER
12-05-2014, 11:15 PM
This is all a bit weird. I obtained the teams a week ago from a number of sources, none of whom indicated that the results were embargoed (or provisional).
Open
1.Smerdon(ACT)
2.Ly(Q)
3.Illingworth(N)
4.Ikeda(ACT)
5.Smirnov(N)

If this is the final line up for the Mens Olympic team, we are observing a real revolution!
Not sure if Australia has ever been represented by a younger team in the Men's Olympiads.
Looks like the team's average age is just over 22 years!

pax
13-05-2014, 12:51 AM

Open
1.Smerdon(ACT)
2.Ly(Q)
3.Illingworth(N)
4.Ikeda(ACT)
5.Smirnov(N)

Congratulations to all of the (provisional) selections, especially to Anton, breaking Zhao's record as youngest player selected to play at an Olympiad (I presume). I hope no appeals will spoil an exciting moment for Australian chess.

pax
13-05-2014, 12:57 AM
Women
1.Caoili(ACT)
2.Berezina(N)
3.Nguyen(SA)
4.Guo(ACT)
5.Dekic(N)

Congratulations to the women selected. This must be one of the strongest women's teams ever fielded by Australia (exceeded perhaps by Turin in 2006).)

ER
13-05-2014, 09:47 AM
no vics in either team!!

has it ever happened before in the history of mankind?
did they apply and got rejected?
didn't care to apply?
any vic appeals?

I am off for an ANAM concert!
I should stay home studying!
Who cares?

Kevin Bonham
13-05-2014, 11:56 AM
no vics in either team!!

has it ever happened before in the history of mankind?
did they apply and got rejected?
didn't care to apply?
any vic appeals?

You can see the list of applicants in post 4.

Basically the Victorian players who would have had strong chances of selection if they did apply, did not apply.

I add another note about the selections listed being only provisional - it means that those listed have not necessarily confirmed their availability.

ER
13-05-2014, 12:14 PM
You can see the list of applicants in post 4.

oops yes, had seen ( I 'd actually voted in the relevant poll) but I forgot! :)

Adamski
13-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Congratulations to all those provisionally chosen for both teams. I am pleased to see that my future- oriented *ladies longshot" (not meant to be a sexist term but one from an NZ sports program of yesteryear) of Anton came in for the men's team. Also pleased that Biljana was chosen (in the same 5th position).
Yes, ER. No Victorians. NSW well represented.

ER
13-05-2014, 03:09 PM

and ACT Adamski, not that they don't deserve it! :clap:

Adamski
14-05-2014, 08:49 AM
and ACT Adamski, not that they don't deserve it! :clap:Indeed so! Junta had made a very strong case for inclusion with his Doeberl and SIO. I just hope soneone coaches him right out of his regularr time trouble problem.

Kevin Bonham
14-05-2014, 05:50 PM
I just hope soneone coaches him right out of his regularr time trouble problem.

But he plays better when short of time! I think it was Ian Rogers in his commentary at Doeberl who said that when Ikeda has lots of time on his clock he just uses that time to get himself into time trouble.

Denis_Jessop
14-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Junta has been like that since he was a young junior so it's unlikely that anyone can change his spots. On many occasions he played games at the Canberra Chess Club well into the night having begun very slowly and then leaving himself a minute or so for many moves at the end.

DJ

Carl Gorka
14-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Congratulations to all of the (provisional) selections, especially to Anton, breaking Zhao's record as youngest player selected to play at an Olympiad (I presume). I hope no appeals will spoil an exciting moment for Australian chess.

Couldn't agree more. Good to see the future of Australian chess given a chance, and I hope that whatever results they achieve, the experience gained will be a worthwhile investment in the future of these young players, and Australian Chess in general :)