PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras?

JGB
11-11-2004, 06:19 PM
I was wondering how many of the Chesschat users have a relatively new digital camera, what model they have and how happy they are with it. Until now I have still been operating with my older giant Minolta. It takes great pics, but its time for a digi and I was wondering if anyone has advice for me? What they definetly would not buy, just genaral tips would be much appreciated. I have a short list, the requirements are just compact with a minimum 5 mega pix.

eclectic
11-11-2004, 06:31 PM
I was wondering how many of the Chesschat users have a relatively new digital camera, what model they have and how happy they are with it. Until now I have still been operating with my older giant Minolta. It takes great pics, but its time for a digi and I was wondering if anyone has advice for me? What they definetly would not buy, just genaral tips would be much appreciated. I have a short list, the requirements are just compact with a minimum 5 mega pix.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

be sure to take into account availability of associated ac adapters and (nimh) battery rechargers for when you are taking camera outdoors

also availability and size of memory cards

compatability with computer printer scanner operating system

get a tripod too - don't assume that because it's digital it will always give good pics when handheld

just some points

eclectic

Alan Shore
11-11-2004, 09:37 PM
I'd comment on mine but it's 3.2MPixel Canon which is below your cutoff, so oh well.. I recommend getting one with a video function, my vid. isn't that good but the pictures are great.

JGB
11-11-2004, 10:00 PM
I'd comment on mine but it's 3.2MPixel Canon which is below your cutoff, so oh well.. I recommend getting one with a video function, my vid. isn't that good but the pictures are great.

Regardless, are you happy with the Canon?, one of the cameras we are looking at buying is the Canon digital Ixus 500.

Alan Shore
11-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Regardless, are you happy with the Canon?, one of the cameras we are looking at buying is the Canon digital Ixus 500.

Well as I said, check the vid. function first but I can't fault the image quality.. Canon is a very good brand.

arosar
12-11-2004, 08:09 AM

Yes....buy it. The Ixus is great. Me cuz has one and 3.2M is good enough for 6x8. The mpeg isn't all that hot though.

AR

arosar
12-11-2004, 08:12 AM
Until now I have still been operating with my older giant Minolta. It takes great pics, but its time for a digi and I was wondering if anyone has advice for me?

Keep your giant Minolta. You'll need it for those occassions when you feel like the next Ansel Adams. Older, non digitals still take superior pics. So your minolta will produce better landscape shots for when you're travelling. Use your digital for those zillion happy snaps you take.

AR

Recherché
12-11-2004, 09:03 AM
Older, non digitals still take superior pics.

Not to modern digitals. Digital compacts maybe, but these days professional digital cameras are better than film cameras.

JGB
12-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Not to modern digitals. Digital compacts maybe, but these days professional digital cameras are better than film cameras.

this must be untrue, I have been told that nothing will ever beat film camera because the digital picture quality is basically 'digital' and when a picture is really 'blown up' the digital pic can always be seen, even with 6 mega pixels.
All good landscape photographers still have an older film camera in their inventory.

Bill Gletsos
12-11-2004, 06:19 PM
this must be untrue, I have been told that nothing will ever beat film camera because the digital picture quality is basically 'digital' and when a picture is really 'blown up' the digital pic can always be seen, even with 6 mega pixels.
All good landscape photographers still have an older film camera in their inventory.
6 mega pixels is no longer considered big in the pro ranks.
There are a number of camers above 8mp with the current leader being the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II having 17MP for a price of around $US7150.

JGB
12-11-2004, 07:39 PM
6 mega pixels is no longer considered big in the pro ranks.
There are a number of camers above 8mp with the current leader being the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II having 17MP for a price of around $US7150.

...so cheap ;) its just perfect for personal use?! :D :eh:

Bill Gletsos
12-11-2004, 07:53 PM
...so cheap ;) its just perfect for personal use?! :D :eh:
Well you did mention "professional" cameras. ;)

Rincewind
12-11-2004, 10:14 PM

Everything is "digital" when you get down to the molecular level. In fact, I don't think you need to go that fair.

I'm no expert on photography, but I believe there is a relationship between film speed and the grain size of the photosensitive coating on the film, which is why enlargements of high speed/low light photography will usually have a "grainy" appearance. So avoiding the new technology is not a panacea to having infinitely enlargeable images.

For the casual user I think by and large the advantages of the technology far outweigh the disadvantages (perceived or real) in image quality.

Reading this you probably think I'm a lobbyist for the digital camera industry. Truth is, I don't even own one. ;)

arosar
07-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Where's JGB?

Hey JGB, mate, if you go Fletchers Photographics, they're selling the EOS 300D for like $1799. It comes with a 38-55mm lens, I think, plus battery grip. Get the all black one instead of the metallic colour. The all black one looks more professional and the plasticky look isn't so apparent.

AR

JGB
07-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Where's JGB?

Hey JGB, mate, if you go Fletchers Photographics, they're selling the EOS 300D for like $1799. It comes with a 38-55mm lens, I think, plus battery grip. Get the all black one instead of the metallic colour. The all black one looks more professional and the plasticky look isn't so apparent.

AR

Should I just drive down to Fletchers Photographics from Southern Germany ;) ? Anyway I already bought a Canon last week. My girl influenced the choice and its sooooo small I can hardly use the bloody thing with my stubby fingers. :(