PDA

View Full Version : 2013 WYCC in Al Ain, UAE

siow, weng nian
17-12-2013, 09:27 PM
The 2013 World Youth Chess Championships will begin on Tuesday 8 pm for Opening Ceremony, Wednesday 3 pm (Round 1) local time which is +7 for AEST. I am onsite as my son is playing. I have started blogging and will try to blog as much as I can. The wifi is excellent.

WYCC site: http://www.worldyouth2013.com/

My blog site: http://australian-junior-youth-chess.blogspot.ae/

siow, weng nian
18-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Just to let everyone know in case you are following. First round has been pushed back to 17:00 today.

Administration is a bit of a nightmare at the moment and meals is the biggest headache.

ER
18-12-2013, 08:11 PM
careful with your complaining there mate... you might end up in front of a royal court and I don't like your chances there! good luck with the chess anyway! ;) :)

Z&MLoh
19-12-2013, 01:04 PM
careful with your complaining there mate... you might end up in front of a royal court and I don't like your chances there! good luck with the chess anyway! ;) :)

Day 1 has been an absolute schmozzle! Almost everything didn't go according to plan (although I am not privy to the plans). From long lines at the canteen to having to move rooms because I was allocated the wrong room. That is just for starters.

As Weng mentioned in his blog, the start time was delayed to 5pm from 3pm - The games didn't start until about 6.15.

The main hall was suppose to accommodate everyone except for Under-18 and the Al-Ain Classic (in a smaller hall opposite the main hall) - when we got there, the venue for Under-16 and part of Under-14 was moved to the smaller hall.

Ari and Rishi we're suppose to be black according to Chess-Results.com - when we got there, the pairings stuck to the windows had them as white, then they were changed back to black!

Then there were players with registration badges but seem to be not paired! They were being sorted out as the games were about to begin.

There was suppose to be live DGT broadcast but didn't eventuate even though the main hall was full of DGT boards - there must have been a few hundred of them, some connected and some not.

Day 2 hasn't started well either. The pairings on the website are different from that on Chess-Results.com. On the website only a portion of the players are shown. Then the board numbers are different (to that in Chess-Results) and in Jack's case, he is playing an opponent listed 4 times!

Other than that, dorm facilities are nice unless you are one of those that were allocated to another campus 10 minutes by bus like the South Africans. Apparently their facilities weren't that great. Food is OK. Tournament Hall is beautifully decorated. Wifi is a blessing!

More later...

Mike

ER
19-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the updates Mike!

Well my friend Zach won his first two round games! (*) :clap: pls say hi to him and the other Team Australia members! :)

Of the others, I think I was able to go through the maze and see that Emma and Kashish are doing quite well!

The others I really have to dig to locate! Now I understand your point re multiple references (in many cases as many as six) to same people! :)

(*) Or is it a win and a draw vs the top seed?

Kevin Bonham
20-12-2013, 02:44 PM
I was invited over here in my capacity as FIDE delegate at the expense of the incumbent for some meetings connected with next year's election. They are done now and I have a few days left before returning to Australia.

I went out to the venue yesterday but as no-one had actually organised accreditation for me at the event (nor had I thought to request it) I was in much the same situation as the parents. Viewing within the playing halls is limited and confined to formally accredited VIPs, event staff, trainers (I think) and a limited number of people from each delegation at the time. For the rest it is only possible to view through the windows, and in the case of the younger age groups there is a very small window space well distant from the boards, with a lot of parents crowding around it hoping to catch fleeting glimpses of their offspring. Sometimes when someone opens a door to leave the room there is immediately a throng of parents wanting to look through the open doorway.

For the older age groups this is not such an issue and spectating through the windows is quite possible for those boards near the side. Yesterday I was able to watch both Rishi Sardana and Ari Dale's games but in Ari's case the position of the adjacent clock made it hard to see some squares and I got quite confused and thought his queen was more locked in and his position more difficult than was actually the case. (He had an attack and a piece for a few pawns; the opponent was munching pawns and delivering queen checks that went nowhere.)

Tales of chaos like the ones discussed above are many! One that has not been mentioned is the classic tournament held alongside the events had to be moved to earlier in the day and shortened for lack of room.

Not sure if I'll be out at the venue today or not yet. It's not easy getting back to my hotel; yesterday waited 1 1/2 hours for the next bus, climbed on it then we had to wait nearly an hour for a certain FIDE dignitary who in the end could not be found!

So far I've found Al Ain quite pleasant. Taxis are very cheap here though the drivers vary - some excellent, some a bit dodgy.

antichrist
21-12-2013, 03:08 PM
[overquoting snipped]

will there be a report to ACF that will be posted on this site? We do appreciate knowing of all the shananigans of FIDE, rule changes and politics of such.

Kevin Bonham
22-12-2013, 03:44 AM
will there be a report to ACF that will be posted on this site? We do appreciate knowing of all the shananigans of FIDE, rule changes and politics of such.

There will be a report to the ACF Council. At this stage I don't think it will be posted here; there are some aspects that should probably be in confidence.

siow, weng nian
22-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Rounds from today onwards (ie Rd 6) begins at 4 pm local time which is 11 pm AEST. points.

Presently we have Rishi Sardana a point off the leaders on 3.5/5 and I think well-placed to try for a medal. Zac is also 3.5/5 but the leader is on a perfect 5/5. Then we have Emma, Kashish, Jack, Kevin on 3. Others on 50% or more are Ari and Rowan.

Kevin Bonham
22-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Today is my last day here; I'm at the tournament venue today until I leave around 6 pm or a bit before. Currently inside the playing hall and may well stay there at least until the round starts.

Kevin Bonham
26-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Thought I'd check results to see how our crew are going:

Emma Guo is on 4.5/8 in the GU18 and performing slightly below rating.
Mirakla Mithran is on 3/8 in the GU16
Kashish Christian is on 4/8 in the GU14
Rishi Sardana is on 5.5/8 in the U16. He started with .5/2 but has 5/6 since
Ari Dale is on 3.5/8 in the same event. He's yet to play anyone above 2100 and has +0=5-2 against the 2000-2100 bracket
Zachary Loh is on 5/8 in the U14. Highlight was a draw vs a 2400+ IM in round 2.
Jack Puccini is on 4.5/8 in the U14.
Dylan Siow-Lee is on 2/8 3/8 in the U14.
Kevin Willathgamuwa is on 4.5/8 in the U10. He's had a couple of losses and a draw to 1500s players.
Rowan Willathgamuwa is on 4/8 in the U12.
Mishael Chellappah is on 3.5/8 in the U12.

chess-results indicates only Zachary and Kashish have gained live ratings points thus far and everyone else has lost them, some heavily. This seems to be a common pattern: either overseas juniors are normally more underrated than ours or else ours are not performing as well overseas as those from other nations. I think it's the former and that Australian juniors increase their ratings faster by playing more FIDE-rated chess against adults only to shed those points in all-junior events.

Ian_Rogers
27-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Dylan Siow-Lee is now on 4/9 - a pretty good recovery from 2/8!

Kevin Bonham
27-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Whoops; clerical error fixed! Round nine was not otherwise great for Australia with an overall minus-two scoreline. Zachary kept his good run going, drawing with a slightly higher-rated player.

flushfyre
28-12-2013, 10:13 AM
How long has Rishi been living in Australia? What state is he living in?
It's great to have another strong young player on the Australian chess scene.

Vlad
28-12-2013, 10:19 AM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?14834-October-FIDE-Ratings

flushfyre
28-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks Vlad.

Kevin Bonham
30-12-2013, 12:18 AM
Final results for Aus here:

http://chess-results.com/tnr119502.aspx?lan=1&art=25&fedb=AUS&flag=30&wi=821

MichaelBaron
30-12-2013, 03:34 PM
So everyone performed below their ratings :(

Kevin Bonham
30-12-2013, 03:39 PM
So everyone performed below their ratings :(

Yes, some substantially, others by only a little. (Those performance ratings chess-results gives aren't always accurate; I find it better to look at the rating point +/- for players).

The question I raised above is what should be our normal expectation - does this sort of thing mean we had a really bad event or is it systematic because Australian juniors just are less underrated than juniors elsewhere?

Vlad
30-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Yes, some substantially, others by only a little. (Those performance ratings chess-results gives aren't always accurate; I find it better to look at the rating point +/- for players).

The question I raised above is what should be our normal expectation - does this sort of thing mean we had a really bad event or is it systematic because Australian juniors just are less underrated than juniors elsewhere?

I think the answer to your question is "Yes, they are less underrated than juniors elsewhere".

As an example you can look at performances of 2200+ in the under 12 open section.
Everybody lost rating points, some substantially. There is no way in the world they all are overrated, more likely the opposite.

Russians did not do very well... It seems more and more clear that India and China are current powerhouses for junior chess. Russia is only third.